Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery only charging to 97%
1294 8 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Hi guys, I've already sent an email to Dji but wondering about what other people's thoughts are.
Relatively new battery, 2 months old, has 20 charges, all discharges on this battery have been between 15-25% and stored at that level till flying again. But today I noticed it's only charging to 97% and I tried charging it 3 times today, the last charge was a deep cycle to 0% to see if that fixes it but it didn't.  No errors and the battery status according to the app is Normal. All cells are showing equal voltages until the power gets really low, but I've noticed that on other batteries to one time they have each been deep cycled. But this particular battery has not been deep cycled before this error.

Is it safe to still fly with, is this normal behavior or should it be shelved and sent away to DJI (I assume I'll get the appropriate response from them in this regard)

Cheers.
2017-6-18
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

No idea anyone?
2017-6-19
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

What do you mean with "deep cycle to 0%"?

Give forum-members time to read your topic, sometimes it better to get no replies than replies from people who only post to get points!
2017-6-19
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

It means that I ran this battery (after the issue) to 0% to make it charge completely to hopefully it reset its meter.
2017-6-19
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Unfortunate, DJI intelligent battery is not intelligent at all. In your case, one of the cells in the battery is out of balance with the rest. So when the other cells hit maximum, the one lack behind will not be charged and hence, you only have it charged up to 97%. If it is getting worse, it will be dangerous to fly with this battery. If you battery is within 6 month after purchase, make a claim and the battery replace. Your warranty to battery is only 6 months only. No matter how many charge and discharge you do, it will probably not able to balance its cell to the same level if the imbalance is not too great.
2017-6-19
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks DTK, I'll see what DJI have to say about it.
2017-6-19
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You have probably caused the problem with the battery by continually leaving it at such a low charge (15-25%). Batteries should always be left between 40 and 60% so you really should partially charge the batteries back up to storage level until they are needed again.
Some people may argue with me but I have flown electric rc for 10 years now and I know what can bugger a battery.
2017-6-19
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

Bugga, I was told by dji that they'll replace the battery, but stupid me has lost the proof of purchase.

Ah well, there goes that plan.
2017-6-20
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

Took the battery back to JB hi-if where I bought it, got a full refund. Could have gotten a replacement, but I really don't need 4 batteries.  
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules