Do the latest MAVICs still have as many problems as the first gen?
3113 31 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone reading this Forum is probably aware of the many instances of early Mavics having a lot of quality/performance problems (DOA, dirt in camera lenses, etc), which required purchasers to either exchange or send in to DJI for service almost immediately.  While not ideal, problems like that can occur in a new product line.  The question here is "Has DJI corrected their processes?  Are the Mavics coming off the line now working better out of the box than they were last fall?"

Please select your Month of Purchase/Receipt (or Month of Manufacture if different) and whether you experienced any problems, or were among the lucky ones.  
Per suggestion, I have also added October 2016 to the end of the list (sorry it is out of order) and now allow up to 4 selections per user.  Hopefully, this will take care of the unfortunate members who have had more than one return.    (Also, please ignore the October 2017 entry...it showed up in the list and I cannot make it go away.)

Thanks for all the feedback.

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 4 entry optional ), Total 111 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

17.70% (20)
2.65% (3)
7.08% (8)
0.88% (1)
2.65% (3)
0.00% (0)
7.08% (8)
3.54% (4)
9.73% (11)
2.65% (3)
7.08% (8)
5.31% (6)
8.85% (10)
0.00% (0)
14.16% (16)
5.31% (6)
0.00% (0)
4.42% (5)
0.88% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-6-19
Use props
DhiAn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3343 ft
United States

I think vote by manufacturing date would be better to purchase date? Bought Mavic this month (April manufactured) and has the right side blur issue (sensor misalignment). Requesting for return.
2017-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't think Mavic has had that many problems, more of its problems came from user errors pilot errors, and just a lack of knowledge and experience, but we all make plenty of mistakes starting out , however we don't like to blame ourselves and it's very easy to come here meet like absent minded people and try find the scapegoat in dji.

I think those who had genuine malfunctions and trouble end up getting mixed up with those who can't find fault with themselves, so the whole thing gets blown up to look like there are many problems.

I also think some real problems have been sorted with firmware and software updates, and again while 90% of people update their Mavics there will always be a percentage who choose to stay on old firmware i.e. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it, but IMHO .800 is a much improved firmware than we had on day one.

I think your poll will show many more without problems than those with problems. Apart from those who recently purchased.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DhiAn Posted at 2017-6-19 06:45
I think vote by manufacturing date would be better to purchase date? Bought Mavic this month (April manufactured) and has the right side blur issue (sensor misalignment). Requesting for return.

As manufacturing dates seemed to be only days before the shipping dates for a lot of people, I thought purchase dates would be easier.  Please do use your MANUFACTURE DATE if it is different from the purchase date.
Thanks!
2017-6-19
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

October 2016 - No issues.  (No option in survey.)
2017-6-19
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

Never had an issue with my Mavic and I owned it since Late October 2016
2017-6-19
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7228 ft
United Kingdom

I've had a March build with a duff gimbal that had to go back, but my April build replacement has been fine.  I've voted for the April build, but could do with another vote for "10.  March 2017 - Repair/return required"
2017-6-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I marked November 16 with no problems.  However, I have not opened it up to check for the rear motor wiring issues (straight instead of twisted wires).  I don't fly long distance (yet), so it hasn't been an issue yet.  Build date was early Nov, so I assume the wires are straight.  I will fix that the first time I have need to open it up.

Yes, there ARE proven problems with some Mavics.  The non-linear focus issue and the color spot issue come to mind right off the bat.

2017-6-19
Use props
fansa0b51ff1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2188 ft
United States

I got my Mavic with the bonus pack last Wednesday, 6/14/2017.  When it arrived I had one battery DOA.  I opened a chat, got a case number, and nothing after that.  I just got back on the chat and asked to check the status and was told you should get another email in 24/48hrs.  Then after that it could be 14 or more days to get a replacement battery.  
I am wondering if this is normal for DJI support?  
I have the entire thing packed back up to return.  It seems I can return the entire package and get a new one, or a totally different brand, faster than a replacement battery.

2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Per suggestion, I have also added October 2016 to the end of the list (sorry it is out of order) and now allow up to 4 selections per user.  Hopefully, this will take care of the unfortunate members who have had more than one return.
Thanks for the feedback.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansa0b51ff1 Posted at 2017-6-19 10:42
I got my Mavic with the bonus pack last Wednesday, 6/14/2017.  When it arrived I had one battery DOA.  I opened a chat, got a case number, and nothing after that.  I just got back on the chat and asked to check the status and was told you should get another email in 24/48hrs.  Then after that it could be 14 or more days to get a replacement battery.  
I am wondering if this is normal for DJI support?  
I have the entire thing packed back up to return.  It seems I can return the entire package and get a new one, or a totally different brand, faster than a replacement battery.

You are definitely not the first person I have heard of with this complaint.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JelloMaster Posted at 2017-6-19 08:24
I've had a March build with a duff gimbal that had to go back, but my April build replacement has been fine.  I've voted for the April build, but could do with another vote for "10.  March 2017 - Repair/return required"

You can now select up to 4 choices -- thanks for the input.  Hopefully, this will take care of all the unfortunate members who have had more than one return.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-6-19 07:17
October 2016 - No issues.  (No option in survey.)

Per suggestion, I have also added October 2016 to the end of the list (sorry it is out of order)
Thanks for the feedback.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-19 07:20
Never had an issue with my Mavic and I owned it since Late October 2016

Per suggestion, I have also added October 2016 to the end of the list (sorry it is out of order)
Thanks for the feedback.
2017-6-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Why does the survey start in November?   I didn't get my Mavic until November so we could change the survey to mean when did you get your Mavic (even better would be mfg date).   I ordered Sept 2016 on announcement day (and I am sure many others as well).
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-19 07:08
I don't think Mavic has had that many problems, more of its problems came from user errors pilot errors, and just a lack of knowledge and experience, but we all make plenty of mistakes starting out , however we don't like to blame ourselves and it's very easy to come here meet like absent minded people and try find the scapegoat in dji.

I think those who had genuine malfunctions and trouble end up getting mixed up with those who can't find fault with themselves, so the whole thing gets blown up to look like there are many problems.

I certainly hope you are right in thinking the majority have no problems.  It would certainly be typical for any group to primarily hear from/focus on the complaints and never hear from those that have no issues, which is why I thought this poll might be helpful.  I have personally had to send mine back, after fighting random connection drops, gimbal resets, camera functions causing system crashes, compass and gimbal calibration issues, and more.  It went from chasing just an occasional glitch to some full blown craziness - one of the last flights had 5 disconnects in a single flight, and video feeds were increasingly erratic and freezing.  I even tried flying with just an iPhone 7+ (rather than the controller and iPad Mini4) and I was still experiencing disconnects  when the Mavic was hovering literally 5-6 feet away from me.  
Whatever was going wrong with mine, was getting worse - and the firmware/software upgrades did not help the situation.  
Glad to hear your faith in the product -- I still love the Mavic.
2017-6-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-19 11:52
Why does the survey start in November?   I didn't get my Mavic until November so we could change the survey to mean when did you get your Mavic (even better would be mfg date).   I ordered Sept 2016 on announcement day (and I am sure many others as well).

Sorry for the confusion.  My intention was for people to list their month of receipt --  and later it was suggested to make it the drone's manufacture date if it was much different.  
2017-6-19
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-19 11:43
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks!  I added my info.
2017-6-19
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

nov 2016 no issues
2017-6-19
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

No issues at all with mine (Fly More) build date was 17th March, and bought early April. Upgrades fine everytime, and flies great.
2017-6-19
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

DhiAn Posted at 2017-6-19 06:45

Is that regardless of you setting the Sharpness +1?
2017-6-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-19 12:53
Sorry for the confusion.  My intention was for people to list their month of receipt --  and later it was suggested to make it the drone's manufacture date if it was much different.

Great--much appreciated! Now I can vote
2017-6-19
Use props
DhiAn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3343 ft
United States

cristianc Posted at 2017-6-19 15:09
Is that regardless of you setting the Sharpness +1?

I used the default camera settings where I noticed the blur on the right side. I didn't tested with custom sharpness settings and I don't believe that should make any difference for the one-sided blur. One thing I tried was to touch-focus on the right side where blur happens instead of center focus, and although it improves focus on the right, but blurs on the left side -- which clears shows some lens/sensor focus alignment issue. Stopped further tests and it's now packed and ready for return collection.
Gutted. Amazing piece of device that I longed for and wish I had got with no camera issues so that I can plan on taking photos instead of wasting time on testing & returning.
2017-6-20
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

There's a second generation Mavic?
2017-6-20
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine was made on Sunday, September, 25th 2016 and have had no problems. I ordered it 2016-09-27 19:33:06 (UTC). I got it 28 October so I voted that option.
2017-6-20
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

So it looks like the OP belief that there was a major problem with the first batch of Mavic's is unfounded.
My Pre-Order November delivery Mavic has been faultless...  
2017-6-20
Use props
fansf3c2b7c9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11283 ft
United States

Mine was born 4/2017 (no issues found yet).
2017-6-20
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

DhiAn Posted at 2017-6-20 01:37
I used the default camera settings where I noticed the blur on the right side. I didn't tested with custom sharpness settings and I don't believe that should make any difference for the one-sided blur. One thing I tried was to touch-focus on the right side where blur happens instead of center focus, and although it improves focus on the right, but blurs on the left side -- which clears shows some lens/sensor focus alignment issue. Stopped further tests and it's now packed and ready for return collection.
Gutted. Amazing piece of device that I longed for and wish I had got with no camera issues so that I can plan on taking photos instead of wasting time on testing & returning.

I see, cheers for the extra info. Goodluck
2017-6-20
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-6-20 12:18
So it looks like the OP belief that there was a major problem with the first batch of Mavic's is unfounded.
My Pre-Order November delivery Mavic has been faultless...

Yes, this is really enlightening.  Reading the back posts, I (as I am sure many of us did) got the impression they were faulty at the beginning.  Looks like the problems seem to actually be in the later production runs.  Hoping lots of people chime in so we can get a more clear picture.
Thanks for participating!
2017-6-20
Use props
Boman49
lvl.1
United States

Don't know the manufactured date because I already sent my Mavic back.  I had it for about a week or so before "Auto" take off issues developed.  No crashes or hard landings.  Latest firmware installed.  Using I Phone 6S.  Mavic flew flawlessly for first half dozen or so flights then suddenly, on "Auto Take Off" ( I have only used Auto Take Off)  the Mavic would not stop and hover but continue to rise.  I would have to hold down the left stick to get control and land.  This situation would happen ALMOST every time from that point on.  Once in a while it would hover as it was designed to do.  I recalibrated the RC ,  the IMU,  the GPS all numerous times but still the same issue. I sent it back to their repair center in California last week.  U.P.S. confirmed that DJI received it today.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  I have a post under "General Discussions" titled "Mavic Control Issues" and in that post another member was having the same issue.
2017-6-20
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I got mine in Jan 2017 but it was made in Nov 2016 - apparently, as I recorded the behaviour on this forum, the rear wiring issue affects the compass performance and I have been told to send it in... this is on Nov 2016 birds
2017-6-20
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bought my mavic new from some seller on ebay in December and it included a receipt from bestbuy in Socal and still a problem free drone(if only DJI would stop messing with the updates)
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules