Failsafe enhancement request
1004 5 2014-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crc2004
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

I'd like to see a software option where you can tell failsafe mode to shut down all non-essential resources. A selectable checkbox to have the camera and any other non-essential power using feature shutdown in failsafe mode. It would improve GPS signal strength and extend flight time in this critial state.
2014-10-13
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Sounds like a reasonable option.
From my side I'd like to see an  option that permits the unit to make RTH flights with less than 6 but more than 3 Satellites.  I'd rather see my Phantom return with less accuracy than not return at all if a <6 Sat lock occurs.
2014-10-13
Use props
crc2004
lvl.2
United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-14 00:33
Sounds like a reasonable option.
From my side I'd like to see an  option that permits the unit to ma ...

I agree,  I don't know anyone who would choose to lose their Phantom when it has 3 or 4 or 5 satellites.
2014-10-13
Use props
scott_barton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

I think the issue with less sats is false location and accidently flying away from home point.
2014-10-13
Use props
crc2004
lvl.2
United States

scott_barton@ho Posted at 2014-10-14 01:16
I think the issue with less sats is false location and accidently flying away from home point.

That's the point. Would you rather your P2V+ be totally lost or have it return to a less accurate position?

the following is from http://www.maptoaster.com/maptoaster-topo-nz/articles/how-gps-works/how-gps-works.html

If the GPS receiver is only able to get signals from 3 satellites, you can still get your position, but it will be less accurate. As we noted above, the GPS receiver needs 4 satellites to work out your position in 3-dimensions. If only 3 satellites are available, the GPS receiver can get an approximate position by making the assumption that you are at mean sea level. If you really are at mean sea level, the position will be reasonably accurate. However if you are in the mountains, the 2-D fix could be hundreds of metres off.
2014-10-13
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

scott_barton@ho Posted at 2014-10-14 01:16

4 sats would be less accurate but it would still bring you in at less than 100 meters of the Home point which could give you a chance to regain LoS  and control.  Right now if it drops below 6 sats it will just go into Atti mode and drift in the wind until it regains +6, you regain control or the battery runs out and it lands wherever that may be. Lucky if the wind blows directly towards the Homepoint, not so lucky if it doesn't ;)
2014-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules