External audio with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Osmo Mobile?
1684 7 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jarle Leirpoll
New
Norway

When I put my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge in the DJI Osmo mobile, the 3.5mm audio jack is blocked by the clamp on the Osmo. This prevents me from using external microphones when using the DJI Osmo Mobile - which is a MAJOR bummer.

What do other owners of the Osmo Mobile and the Samsung S7 Edge do when they want to record professional audio?

How does the Osmo team recommend that we use these two great gadgets together?

2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

When using Osmo Mobile, the recording of sound is handled by your phone other than the gimbal system. For such reason, we redesigned the 3.5mm port as a dedicated port for charging and firmware upgrading.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-6-20
Use props
Jarle Leirpoll
New
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-20 04:05
When using Osmo Mobile, the recording of sound is handled by your phone other than the gimbal system. For such reason, we redesigned the 3.5mm port as a dedicated port for charging and firmware upgrading.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Mindy, I meant the 3.5 mm jack on my phone. That's the one that's blocked by the gimbal, which makes it impossible to attach an external microphone. I don't have any issues with the 3.5 mm jack on the gimbal.

It just seems like an oversight in the design, and makes the gimbal much less useful with the S7 Edge and the FiLMiC Pro app. I was wondering if other users have come up with a clever solution. I've been thinking of adding more weight to one side so the phone can be mounted further to the left, making room for the microphone 3.5 mm plug.
2017-6-20
Use props
fansf5e703c4
lvl.1
Kuwait

Why my DJI app for osmo mobile keep crashing and stop opening. tried  to
uninstall and install it still same can't open thr app for my Samsung S7Edge why?before it was ok why keep crashing
2017-6-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansf5e703c4 Posted at 2017-6-24 14:53
Why my DJI app for osmo mobile keep crashing and stop opening. tried  to
uninstall and install it still same can't open thr app for my Samsung S7Edge why?before it was ok why keep crashing

Have responded on another thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-101289-1-1.html
2017-6-26
Use props
fans323964c5
New

United States

I am wondering the exact same thing.  I have an I Phone 7 Plus and won't be able to access the 3.5 mm port either.  Terrible news for a guy who cares so much about audio quality.  I do believe there might be hope for the I Phone 6S as that phone doesn't have a lightning bolt input and I believe the 3.5 mm port is accessible based on it's location on the phone.  I just ordered the osmo mobile today and won't be getting it until July 2nd when I meet with an expert at Enjoy.  I hope he has some ideas for what to do!  I'll share what I learn and please share any ideas you have about how to overcome this bummer of an obstacle for great video and audio together!  Thanks.  Steve
2017-6-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans323964c5 Posted at 2017-6-26 15:48
I am wondering the exact same thing.  I have an I Phone 7 Plus and won't be able to access the 3.5 mm port either.  Terrible news for a guy who cares so much about audio quality.  I do believe there might be hope for the I Phone 6S as that phone doesn't have a lightning bolt input and I believe the 3.5 mm port is accessible based on it's location on the phone.  I just ordered the osmo mobile today and won't be getting it until July 2nd when I meet with an expert at Enjoy.  I hope he has some ideas for what to do!  I'll share what I learn and please share any ideas you have about how to overcome this bummer of an obstacle for great video and audio together!  Thanks.  Steve

I'm so sorry that even iPhone 6S with small size may be difficult to plug external microphone since the balance is very important and there will be no enough space for that. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-6-27
Use props
Tobias78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 522379 ft
Netherlands

Will it be possible to connect a Rode Videomic Me with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on a DJI Osmo Mobile, despite Osmo seems to block the mic jack of the S7?
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules