Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Palm Landing question
3981 8 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

So I am having an issue with Palm landing.

Am I not supposed to palm launch/land without first hooking up to the iphone/rc first? Seems like a waste of a mode if that is the case. I actually havent tried taking a selfie to see if it saves in the sd card.

One issue I am having is that When I stand in front of the drone and try to palm land, the drone will back away from me. After an attempt or two i can stretch my arm enough and get it to land in my palm.

Ive checked and backwards movement avoiding is turned off when connected to the phone or controller. I am 5'10 (177cm) tall and normal arm length. I havent gone into gesture mode when i had the phone active so mabe thats my issue?

Anyone else see this issue? Know how to fix it or what I am doing wrong?

2017-6-19
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

I am a new Spark owner, yesterday was my first day flying.  I found similar frustration on my 1st few attempts to get the Spark to palm land, but after a few trial and errors, found that when I used the "bekon" gesture (arms in the air, in a "v" shape) - being patient, and waiting for the green lights to become steady (indicating a better "connection" I'm guessing) - then the Spark would recognize me, and fly towards my upheld palm, and land in my hand.  Hope you find a similar simple solution.  I found that some of my frustrations, were actually just being patient, waiting for the "green" steady lights to indicate that the Spark had recognized gestures, and was ready to respond as anticipated.
2017-6-19
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-6-19 14:49
I am a new Spark owner, yesterday was my first day flying.  I found similar frustration on my 1st few attempts to get the Spark to palm land, but after a few trial and errors, found that when I used the "bekon" gesture (arms in the air, in a "v" shape) - being patient, and waiting for the green lights to become steady (indicating a better "connection" I'm guessing) - then the Spark would recognize me, and fly towards my upheld palm, and land in my hand.  Hope you find a similar simple solution.  I found that some of my frustrations, were actually just being patient, waiting for the "green" steady lights to indicate that the Spark had recognized gestures, and was ready to respond as anticipated.

thanks I will try that. I still am surprised it moved away without the setting turned on. I can imagine it flying away and landing in a lake when launched from a pier or something
2017-6-19
Use props
Sirecho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181480 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have only used gestures on mine a time or two, but I wonder based on your description, did you press the power button twice while the aircraft was pointing at you? I think you have to do this to enable face awareness, you'll hear it beep twice to confirm. After that, I was able to get palm landing to work.
2017-6-19
Use props
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
United States

Sirecho Posted at 2017-6-19 16:49
I have only used gestures on mine a time or two, but I wonder based on your description, did you press the power button twice while the aircraft was pointing at you? I think you have to do this to enable face awareness, you'll hear it beep twice to confirm. After that, I was able to get palm landing to work.

yeah I did that when launching. I hadn't turned on the controller or phone connection. I will mess around with it tonight again and see if I am doing something wrong.
2017-6-19
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

SpicyLobster Posted at 2017-6-19 17:37
yeah I did that when launching. I hadn't turned on the controller or phone connection. I will mess around with it tonight again and see if I am doing something wrong.

I was also experiencing unreliable Palm Landing results - but just did some experimenting and now can do it pretty much every time - some tips to help

0 - (be in gesture mode of course)
1 - position the Spark above your head and about 1M away so the front camera can look down at your face
2 - palm control left and right and up as required to position it in right place (or move up with controller then switch to gesture mode)
3 - when you see the green sold front leds you can move it around with your palm BUT you have likely noticed when you drop your hand away or go to reach under it goes solid RED - thats ok (the instructions mention that but I thought it had to be green for this to work - it doesn't)
4 - with solid RED front LEDS reach under the spark (palm up of course) about .5M below it - you can take your time on this - you don't have to worry about loosing the solid green on the front facing LEDS (reds is what you want)
5 - the Spark will then start lowering and land in your palm - they say keep your fingers flat - I like to curl mine up a small amount to cradle it - watch for the props.

That's about it - I just went through a whole pack practicing this (take offs and palm landings) and can now do it well - its a fantastic way to start and end a flight especially when the ground is not even or too much debris or the grass is too high
2017-8-28
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

The manual says do not use gesture over large height differences ie pier or cliff. I'm disappointed for a start.
2017-8-28
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-28 08:41
The manual says do not use gesture over large height differences ie pier or cliff. I'm disappointed for a start.

Maybe because it defaults to auto land if no gesture detection in 1min
2017-8-28
Use props
faithley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116873 ft

South Africa

Does anyone know how to factory reset a spark
2017-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now