Fire Proof Bags for Air Travel?
4017 11 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirPhoto1.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

I see on Amazon, and other sites - offerings for "fire proof" bags for holding batteries.  I'm planning on taking my new Spark and three batteries on my vacation to the Turks and Caicos, and traveling to and from Canada with the Spark as well.  Does anyone have suggestions or experiences they can share about traveling with DJI batteries - with or without these kinds of bags?  Does TSA or airport security seem knowledgeable about DJI batteries or LiPo batteries in carry on bags?  Is it safer to keep the batteries in your carry on as opposed to in your checked bags?  Is there a maximum on the number of batteries allowed in carry on or checked bags?  Has anyone found it better to volunteer information to TSA that you're carrying LiPo batteries - or is it better to just quietly do it?  Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
2017-6-19
Use props
Joker Eh
lvl.1

Canada

I am interested in the answer as well as I have the same plans.
2017-6-19
Use props
J Beaker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203 ft
United States

https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf
2017-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Firstly, you cannot carry LiPo batteries inside checked luggage!
You must have the batteries inside your carry-on bag. Li Po storage bags are nice to have but not required. AS long as the battery is less than 50% charge and the battery contacts are covered with a plastic plug or tape, you are good to go. All airlines have these rules and some are more strict than others.
If the batteries are stored inside a nice case, TSA does not bother you..,.

Rich
2017-6-19
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-19 17:39
You must have the batteries inside your carry-on bag. Li Po storage bags are nice to have but not required. AS long as the battery is less than 50% charge and the battery contacts are covered with a plastic plug or tape, you are good to go. All airlines have these rules and some are more strict than others.

Thank You to Rich and J Beaker for the link to the FAA info, and for your input.  I appreciate the advice from those who have done it.
2017-6-19
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49078 ft
Malaysia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-19 17:39

Bro, what happened if the batteries are fully charged?
2017-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ali86 Posted at 2017-6-19 19:52
Bro, what happened if the batteries are fully charged?

I believe the reason is as follows:
They are full of energy and if a problem arises they will start a fire. When the batteries are 50% 0r below they are less risk of fire.

Lithium Polymer carries more energy than Lithium Ion cells found in your laptop or tablet. This is to add some additional safety when transporting your batteries.

Rich
2017-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-6-19 19:20
Thank You to Rich and J Beaker for the link to the FAA info, and for your input.  I appreciate the advice from those who have done it.

You are welcome and have a safe trip.

Rich
2017-6-19
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Malaysia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-19 20:00
I believe the reason is as follows:
They are full of energy and if a problem arises they will start a fire. When the batteries are 50% 0r below they are less risk of fire.

Thanks for your reply bro. Sounds logic

Need to fly for few minutes before I'm going back to my hometown for Eid al-Fitr celebration
2017-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ali86 Posted at 2017-6-19 22:09
Thanks for your reply bro. Sounds logic

Need to fly for few minutes before I'm going back to my hometown for Eid al-Fitr celebration

Sounds like a fun time

Enjoy and safe travels

Rich
2017-6-20
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Malaysia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-20 07:37
Sounds like a fun time

Enjoy and safe travels

Thanks a lot bro
2017-6-20
Use props
Graphicjunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43022 ft
United States

Old post, I know...but still great info.  I went ahead and bought a couple of lipo bags....doing the T&C thing here soon, and I don't want any reason to get turned back, fined, or anything else.  
REALLY wish the dive cover would get released for the Osmo pocket...but I guess I'm going to buy a GP Hero black5 instead.  "claim" gimbal like stability....we will see.
2019-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules