Mavic Gimbal freak out during flight. 2 videos.
4357 33 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tyler947
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3878802 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So this all happened earlier. I've been having yaw drift issues for a while but this is a new development. Latest firmware, compass checked and calibrated, IMU calibrations done several times. Controller calibrations also done. Randomly goes into atti mode. Really hard to fly straight.

None of these issues with the factory firmware. Never crashed, babied and always kept a Nanuk 920 hard case.

I'm very nervous about sending my mavic back to DJI as it is in perfect condition and I keep reading stories about others getting back a refurbished scratched up unit.

The recording ended on its own when it started freaking out and then I started another before the RTH.

2017-6-19
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Any suggestions?
2017-6-20
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same happen as in your second video. And I have drift too. It's no help but you're not alone.
2017-6-20
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Jenkins Posted at 2017-6-20 06:55
I had the same happen as in your second video. And I have drift too. It's no help but you're not alone.

Mine does this too. If I pan around, the gimbal keeps panning long after I've stopped. The gimbal on the Mavic may be a technological miracle but its results are all over the place.
2017-6-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Can you complete a visual inspection of the gimbal? Do you see any type of damage on the gimbal that is making it move as such. I did hear some wind prevailing during this flight. Can you fly in a different spot to see if this issue is continuing? Fly in a very controlled setting to see if you are getting the same result.
2017-6-20
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Yes I have inspected it. Everything looks the same as the day it came out of the box a few months ago.

This has happened in several locations. I live in the Northwest Territories of Canada and have gone to some fairly remote areas to fly but continue to randomly get magnetic interference warnings and it goes into atti mode. There is a lot of rock here but the strange thing is it flew fine on the first firmware upgrade I did and first flights in April.
2017-6-22
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-20 08:22
Can you complete a visual inspection of the gimbal? Do you see any type of damage on the gimbal that is making it move as such. I did hear some wind prevailing during this flight. Can you fly in a different spot to see if this issue is continuing? Fly in a very controlled setting to see if you are getting the same result.

Here are some photos. The issue is random. I did a POI flight in the same area after that and it was fine except for having to correct the center point slightly.
2017-06-23 16.10.18 (Large).jpg
2017-06-23 16.10.52 (Large).jpg
2017-06-23 16.10.23 (Large).jpg
2017-06-23 16.10.45 (Large).jpg
2017-6-23
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

If the issue is random, it may be that it is some type of magnetic interference. Please make sure you complete a gimbal and IMU calibration before starting to fly. This is also true with the compass.
2017-6-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-24 05:08
If the issue is random, it may be that it is some type of magnetic interference. Please make sure you complete a gimbal and IMU calibration before starting to fly. This is also true with the compass.

Mark, there have been a number of reports of this problem that I refer to as "Gimbals Gone Wild" (some people call it a "gimbal reset during flight"), but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the physical condition of the hardware or with magnetic interference. The last I heard it usually happens at the point when the 4GB file size has been reached that would cause the Mavic to start writing to a new file.

If you'd like, I can probably dig up a few other threads where this problem was mentioned, but it's been around a while and seems to only ever occur sporadically for those people who experience it at all.
2017-6-24
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Ok I agree but many times those reports can be for a number of reasons.  You have stated this happens to you randomly which gives me the impression that this is the case as well. This could be true if it happens consistently in specific locations. I am assuming you have the latest firmware updates? The calibrations previously mentioned are consistently made?
2017-6-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-24 05:26
Ok I agree but many times those reports can be for a number of reasons.  You have stated this happens to you randomly which gives me the impression that this is the case as well. This could be true if it happens consistently in specific locations. I am assuming you have the latest firmware updates? The calibrations previously mentioned are consistently made?

Mark, I think you may have me confused with the OP, so I'll have to defer to him regarding what calibrations have been performed. He did specifically mention that he's on the latest firmware and has calibrated the compass, IMU, and controller, though I didn't see any reference to the gimbal having been calibrated. I do know that in most of the other cases I've seen where this problem occurred that gimbal calibration didn't seem to help, though it's certainly a reasonable suggestion and probably can't hurt.

I have to admit to being a little curious, though, as to what you mean when you asked if the "calibrations . . . are consistently made", since I'm not aware of any calibration that's routinely expected for the Mavic by DJI.
2017-6-24
Use props
READER
lvl.3
Flight distance : 630486 ft
United States

Just my opinion, start the warranty process. Mine was doing the same thing and is being fixed under warranty.
Here are some of the videos of mine as it was getting worse and failure. No crashes, always use gimbal lock and always removed before use.
drop box link to DJI Gimbal Failure
This is a amazing machine but it can fail. I should have mine back in a couple of days.
2017-6-24
Use props
fansc0fb4145
lvl.3
Flight distance : 521627 ft
Germany

I just experienced the same crazy gimbal and random video disconnects in the app. First time the mavic ever did something it was not told to.
Hope this is fixed in .900
2017-6-24
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-24 05:48
Mark, I think you may have me confused with the OP, so I'll have to defer to him regarding what calibrations have been performed. He did specifically mention that he's on the latest firmware and has calibrated the compass, IMU, and controller, though I didn't see any reference to the gimbal having been calibrated. I do know that in most of the other cases I've seen where this problem occurred that gimbal calibration didn't seem to help, though it's certainly a reasonable suggestion and probably can't hurt.

I have to admit to being a little curious, though, as to what you mean when you asked if the "calibrations . . . are consistently made", since I'm not aware of any calibration that's routinely expected for the Mavic by DJI.

I was referring to IMU calibration. Perhaps it was poorly worded.
2017-6-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-24 06:36
I was referring to IMU calibration. Perhaps it was poorly worded.

Here are another couple of threads -- newly created ones, in fact -- that seem to be describing the same problem:

Video camera RESET mid flight - v01.03.0900 Problem?
What the heck happened?

2017-6-25
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, I have completed the gimbal calibrations. Very careful about my compass calibrations as well. I realized once my Samsung gear s3 was throwing off the compass.

Today after the .900 update I tried in a new remote area, getting IMU issues but I'm guessing that was from the boat I took off from, but similar gimbal issues with not being able to maintain the horizon. Also, it will not fly straight sometimes. Randomly goes into atti mode.
2017-6-25
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Flying from a boat is different then flying from on land. If this issue is strictly connected with flying from your boat it may have as much to do with your boat,  you may want to fly from land. Check flying from land to see if you are experiencing the same thing or not. If  you are, contact support to set up a repair. If you are not, then the issue remains that you are flying from boat. Also, keep in mind that the sensors on your unit are not that conducive for flying over water. Check out this forum post further on this point: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/flying-over-water.12967/
2017-6-26
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

READER Posted at 2017-6-24 06:27
Just my opinion, start the warranty process. Mine was doing the same thing and is being fixed under warranty.
Here are some of the videos of mine as it was getting worse and failure. No crashes, always use gimbal lock and always removed before use.
drop box link to DJI Gimbal Failure

Did you submit videos and flight log data? Did they say they are actually fixing yours or replacing with a "refurbished" unit? Mine is in perfect condition, I really don't want to end up with someone else's.  Let me know what they find as the problem, thanks for the reply.
2017-6-26
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-26 09:22
Flying from a boat is different then flying from on land. If this issue is strictly connected with flying from your boat it may have as much to do with your boat,  you may want to fly from land. Check flying from land to see if you are experiencing the same thing or not. If  you are, contact support to set up a repair. If you are not, then the issue remains that you are flying from boat. Also, keep in mind that the sensors on your unit are not that conducive for flying over water. Check out this forum post further on this point: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/flying-over-water.12967/

All my issues have been flying from land - far away from any buildings, power lines, sources of high power output etc. I hand launched from the boat at anchor for the first time and I was flying high enough that the VPS would not have been a factor over the water.

See this issue showing the controller output and resulting flight path - yawing on its own. Note that moments before it was flying straight as expected.

[media=x,970,580] [/media]

Here is another example from yesterday on the latest firmware showing my Gimbal horizon being off, rolled to the right, but then when I turn 180°, it is rolled to the left:

The horizon was correct about 1/2 the time, but here is an example of how off it was sometimes:

Here is a link to my flight log data from yesterday:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7kprv ... MXMHr3vKf3GGta?dl=0

Here is a link to the flight log data from the original post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ylnuq ... olo1qCSsLnLhIa?dl=0

Should I warranty this?

DJI_0040 (Large).JPG
2017-6-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

I'm not convinced that this is a warranty issue as yo mention this only happens over water. Instead of shipping it to us, why not have a a Support Center by you look at your aircraft? http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2017-6-26
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-26 13:02
I'm not convinced that this is a warranty issue as yo mention this only happens over water. Instead of shipping it to us, why not have a a Support Center by you look at your aircraft? http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers

Mark - I said all my issues have been flying from land. I have videos of gimbal problems while not flying, flying over land or water at high altitude - I do not see how water can affect this at 88m in the air.
2017-6-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Thank you for clarifying your point of view. Please contact Support and set up a repair.
2017-6-26
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-26 13:58
Thank you for clarifying your point of view. Please contact Support and set up a repair.

If i lived near the few support centers in Canada I would, but I'm in the Northwest Territories.
2017-6-26
Use props
READER
lvl.3
United States

tyler947 Posted at 2017-6-26 11:50
Did you submit videos and flight log data? Did they say they are actually fixing yours or replacing with a "refurbished" unit? Mine is in perfect condition, I really don't want to end up with someone else's.  Let me know what they find as the problem, thanks for the reply.

Yes they have fixed it under warranty I started my case by phone then by email and I included my drop box  link of  the videos for them to review but no logs. No charge  to me for repairs or shipping. Only problem I have had is getting the UPS shipping label. I should have it back tomorrow it took 3 weeks total. it was 10 days just waiting on the  label. I hope it is the same mavic, as it is waranty work not a replacement. Time will tell when I get it back. I will let you know when it arrives.
2017-6-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Interesting, I experienced this issue once after I upgraded to the latest firmware 900. Ended up doing gimbal calibration and reset my camera settings. Haven't had the issue since then.
2017-6-26
Use props
READER
lvl.3
United States

tyler947 Posted at 2017-6-26 11:50

I got the Mavic Pro back today, It is not the one that i sent in that is for sure. It looks as if it is new or in good shape, I just have to link my controller to the Mavic charge the controller and battery and upgrade the firmware. Would have been nice to get my original Mavic back. We will see how the replacement flies soon
2017-6-27
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

7:55 m - same twich 2-3 times and then OK - for me thath was a first time seeng something like this and happened during Sport mode
2017-6-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi all, if your drone had encountered gimbal/camera reset midair, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Sorry for the trouble that had been caused.
Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

2017-7-18
Use props
maximeeso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2657398 ft
United States

READER Posted at 2017-6-27 17:35
I got the Mavic Pro back today, It is not the one that i sent in that is for sure. It looks as if it is new or in good shape, I just have to link my controller to the Mavic charge the controller and battery and upgrade the firmware. Would have been nice to get my original Mavic back. We will see how the replacement flies soon

Any update? Has your replacement drone had any of the same issues?
2017-8-2
Use props
3DPilot
New
Flight distance : 185518 ft

Ukraine

I have the same kind of issue.
Have someone managed to solve this trouble with update to Firmware : v01.03.1000?
You can see it at 01:03 at timeline

2017-9-3
Use props
Miguel JJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 832477 ft
Chile

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-18 00:31
Hi all, if your drone had encountered gimbal/camera reset midair, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Sorry for the trouble that had been caused.
Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area …
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

Thanks Thor, my gimbal is resetting to the point that is totally unusable. I am following your advise, and sending it for repair/replacement. Case CAS-2141802-D7C5G8  Thanks  
2018-8-19
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You may want to recalibrate the camera and controller to the Mavic Pro?
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Miguel JJ Posted at 2018-8-19 14:52
Thanks Thor, my gimbal is resetting to the point that is totally unusable. I am following your advise, and sending it for repair/replacement. Case CAS-2141802-D7C5G8  Thanks  Gimbal reset midair

Hi Miguel, have you sent the drone out. If you haven't sent it yet, you may help to confirm if you are using the original SD card that came with the drone, you can also try another SD card, if the issue persists, please kindly send the drone in so we can help to take care of it.
2018-8-19
Use props
fansd51da5c2
lvl.1

Turkey

Miguel JJ Posted at 2018-8-19 14:52
Thanks Thor, my gimbal is resetting to the point that is totally unusable. I am following your advise, and sending it for repair/replacement. Case CAS-2141802-D7C5G8  Thanks  Gimbal reset midair

Hi everyone
I am owner of Mavic air combo pack
I have never crashed or damaged my drone before which was bought from autorized reseller in Turkey at last year

I noticed today a problem with camera.
Everything was fine and i took of my drone without problem. After 2-3minutes later my camera made strange moves, i took a video about it.

/streamable.com/dy55m

I immediately took it down and it continued to do these movements still. After my drone got gimbal motor overloaded error.

I have landed and tried again, first shut down and opened my drone, no problem no error then take off after 2-3 minutes it made again and again like video

In addition I have already done all updates from dji app Last version both of them. So, How can i solve these problem?
2019-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules