Spark internal fan not turning on; barometer & IMU overheating
7385 18 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans68693f90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163337 ft
United Kingdom

I recieved my Spark on Friday 16th (UK) and have been flying happily since then.  This afternoon at home, after an outdoors flight, I noticed that the internal fan did not activate when I turned the unit on to transfer photos.  The props would still spin, data transfer etc.  After a little while I noticed the attached error messages & solid red light error code:

I have contacted online support, who advised me to initiate proceedings to send the unit for investigation / repair.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?  The unit was flying perfectly beforehand, and has only been transported in its case (FlyMore soft case).

James
fullsizeoutput_89a.jpeg
2017-6-20
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

That's a bummer for you, but at least DJI is rectifying the problem for you.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans68693f90
lvl.4
United Kingdom

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-20 08:19
That's a bummer for you, but at least DJI is rectifying the problem for you.

Well, I hope so; waiting to hear back on my email to their tech support.  It seems there's no established link between online chat and their returns facility - I was given an email address to contact.
2017-6-20
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

fans68693f90 Posted at 2017-6-20 08:27
Well, I hope so; waiting to hear back on my email to their tech support.  It seems there's no established link between online chat and their returns facility - I was given an email address to contact.

Stay on top of them...their Customer Service isn't exactly the best.
2017-6-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

I am sorry to read on this. Are you seeing any type of firmware update for the Spark? On the notification, it states to restart the aircraft. Are you perhaps flying at a time of day when it is very hot? Why not let the aircraft cool down, restart it, complete any firmware update and complete an IMU calibration. Let us know if that helps. Also document any issue you may see while trying these steps. Let us know if that helps.
2017-6-20
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-20 08:59
I am sorry to read on this. Are you seeing any type of firmware update for the Spark? On the notification, it states to restart the aircraft. Are you perhaps flying at a time of day when it is very hot? Why not let the aircraft cool down, restart it, complete any firmware update and complete an IMU calibration. Let us know if that helps. Also document any issue you may see while trying these steps. Let us know if that helps.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply

I applied the firmware update when I received the drone (it's up to date); I have checked with the Assistant program to confirm.  I did try the restart many times, leaving it for a couple of hours between attempts, with the battery disconnected.  What is most obvious is that the internal fans are not turning on with the Spark - this may well be the cause of the overheat.  

It is pretty warm here in the UK, but at 30c today within the operating temperature range of the Spark.

I'll try the IMU recalibration in a short while.  However as the internal fans aren't cooling the device, I'm fairly sure that's what is causing the overheat.  Happy to be proved wrong however if I can fix the issue myself!
2017-6-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-6-20 09:20
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply

I applied the firmware update when I received the drone (it's up to date); I have checked with the Assistant program to confirm.  I did try the restart many times, leaving it for a couple of hours between attempts, with the battery disconnected.  What is most obvious is that the internal fans are not turning on with the Spark - this may well be the cause of the overheat.  

I saw in an earlier part of the thread where you have mentioned being in touch with support for a possible repair. That would be the correct next step as there may be a hardware issue. Sorry for any inconvenience on that point.
2017-6-20
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-20 09:30
I saw in an earlier part of the thread where you have mentioned being in touch with support for a possible repair. That would be the correct next step as there may be a hardware issue. Sorry for any inconvenience on that point.

I have emailed Support as requested via online chat, providing a copy of proof of purchase.  I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

I've just tried re-calibration, but no success as the device overheats during the process.

2017-6-20
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ever since the P2V+, I still don't trust transferring via the craft. I hate having any DJI product powered on and idling.
I always use an SD card reader to transfer. Its faster and i dont need my craft powered on - its a great way to cook the internals.
2017-6-20
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-6-20 16:58
Ever since the P2V+, I still don't trust transferring via the craft. I hate having any DJI product powered on and idling.
I always use an SD card reader to transfer. Its faster and i dont need my craft powered on - its a great way to cook the internals.

You make a good point, and I would like to work primarily on main computer, but some of the quickshots are built in the app, and it makes it quick and easy to edit, particularly on an iPad.  

Besides, the unit isn't working as it should, so I'd rather have it checked by the manufacturer.  

Interestingly, when hovering/flying, the unit does not overheat.  I assume the downdraft from the rotors is enough to enter the cooling vents.  However upon landing the errors pop up again.

@DJI-Mark - how long typically does it take for the people at the end of the support email to respond?  Keen, for obvious reasons, to have this resolved as soon as possible.  If it helps, my support request is number 594194.

Cheers
2017-6-21
Use props
fansba066917
New
Flight distance : 154770 ft
Mexico

I'm having he same error. I only had 2 flights, no crashes. Did everything suggested from customer support with no good results. How did you fix it?
2017-7-26
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansba066917 Posted at 2017-7-26 03:59
I'm having he same error. I only had 2 flights, no crashes. Did everything suggested from customer support with no good results. How did you fix it?

You need to contact support; I did so with screenshots.  They will raise you a return ticket
2017-7-26
Use props
fans9b78528e
New
India

*Solved*

I had the same problem since a couple of days but in my case, I also received a temperature error. I realised that the CPU fan has stopped working. On pressing the top of the drone the fan suddenly started. Again on pressing the sides of the drone the fan stopped. Since I live in India, where we don’t have any service center, I had to fix the problem myself.

So I opened up the drone and noticed that it was an assembly defect where the CPU fan cable was getting pinched under the CPU clamp. Opening up the clamp, and rearranging the pinched wires resolved the issue. DJI needs to take this as a feedback and add this QC to their assembly line and also add CPU fan speed monitoring to their firmware.

Hope this helps.
2017-10-25
Use props
fansdddc4953
lvl.1

Peru

Hi, had the exact same problem today and decided to open up the drone. Problem is as described up, cpu fan not working. Opened up and had to reroute fan cable from under the plate. Works perfect now.
20180407_202712.jpg
20180407_202728.jpg
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fansdddc4953 Posted at 2018-4-7 20:04
Hi, had the exact same problem today and decided to open up the drone. Problem is as described up, cpu fan not working. Opened up and had to reroute fan cable from under the plate. Works perfect now.

Glad you solve that. But we would not recommend users disassemble the drone as it may damage the spark. Thanks for your supprot.
2018-4-9
Use props
lucek
lvl.1
Poland

Unfortunately I have exactly the same problem with my spark. I got it brand new last Friday (3rd August in Poland) and since the beggining it was overheating when turned on. After 2-3 minutes from turning on multiple errors thrown like:

When turned off, cooled down and turned on again - errors gone. After 2-3 minutes it gets hot again and errors pop up. Of course all the firmaware is up to date.

I came across this post and found out that the root of the issue is probably internal fan. I've tried pressing a little harder the top of the drone and indeed, fan suddently started working. I could hear that because it's quite load. Previously the drone was almost silent. Now its always starting after turning on the drone but I haven't been flying since then, Not sure if the issue is solved for good or it will eventually pop up again in some near future. I don't want to lose my warranty (owning dji care refresh additionally) so I did not decide to open the drone by myself.

To be honest I'm quite dissapointed. Brand new drone, which is not cheap, has a manufacturing failure.

Question is, if I should sent it to get diagnosed or give it a try and hope that the fan will not disconnect again..

To provide as much information as I can, attaching full logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ayahv ... 01228Z-001.zip?dl=0

2018-8-9
Use props
djiuser_P69Kcz5WqceF
New
Flight distance : 109895 ft
Indonesia

lucek Posted at 2018-8-9 13:11
Unfortunately I have exactly the same problem with my spark. I got it brand new last Friday (3rd August in Poland) and since the beggining it was overheating when turned on. After 2-3 minutes from turning on multiple errors thrown like:
[view_image]

I also have the same problem, the fan rotates slowly, maybe someone can help
2019-1-11
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

fansdddc4953 Posted at 2018-4-7 20:04

Is the routing shown in these photos the correct routing or the errant routing? Thanks for sharing photos.
2019-1-12
Use props
fpworks
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Hello all

I have the exact same problem. But it show after a crash. Opening up the Spark shows a thin metal plate on top of the fan that was bent on the crash ( I guess), If I move this plate and the cables, the fan will work again.

So Im thinking removing the metal plate all together, I have seen people who Modded the Spark, opening a hole in the top case above the fan for better ventilation.

Hope it helps

FP
2021-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules