FAA Registration
6947 8 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans14635354
lvl.1
United States

I just got my Spark a couple of days ago, I wanted to check if i need to register the drone with FAA or not. sorry might sound like a stupid question but i am new to all this and any help will be greatly appritiated
2017-6-20
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

There is information about registering drones at this website. https://registermyuas.faa.gov/  And here's what the FAQ's on the website state. Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby? There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator. Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must: Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight Give way to manned aircraft Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process) For more information Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational or hobby UAS operations under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Option #2. Fly in accordance with the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107). This requires operators to: Obtain a remote pilot certificate or be under the direct supervision of someone who holds such a certificate. Register the aircraft as a non-modeler at registermyuas.faa.gov Follow all the operating rules in accordance with the regulation For more information visit our "Fly for Work" webpage for rules that apply to UAS operations under Part 107. Does the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations? Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.
2017-6-20
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think a judge recently ruled against the FFA in making hobbyists register their drones.
2017-6-20
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

According to this article, registration is no longer required.  However, I'm still going to register mine.  

2017-6-20
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-20 13:00
According to this article, registration is no longer required.  However, I'm still going to register mine.

Thanks Jimmers, I didn't know about the ruling.  When I ordered my Spark, I looked into the registration requirements, and at the time, it appeared so easy to do so - that I spent my $5.00 and registered online.  It was all done online, and you didn't even have to have the drone in hand to register.  Not sure about other countries though.  It will be interesting as more and more drones are in the hands of consumers - I can imagine that there will be plenty of issues with flying in inappropriate places with the temptation of being able to so easily fly and take photos - that some sort of regulation will ultimately be called for.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-6-20 15:53
Thanks Jimmers, I didn't know about the ruling.  When I ordered my Spark, I looked into the registration requirements, and at the time, it appeared so easy to do so - that I spent my $5.00 and registered online.  It was all done online, and you didn't even have to have the drone in hand to register.  Not sure about other countries though.  It will be interesting as more and more drones are in the hands of consumers - I can imagine that there will be plenty of issues with flying in inappropriate places with the temptation of being able to so easily fly and take photos - that some sort of regulation will ultimately be called for.

I think you can still register, which is not a bad thing, I also think that case is still going on, FAA waiting to see if they will appeal.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans3c3673db
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Do you have to register for each drone or are you registering yourself?
2017-6-25
Use props
WGMitch
lvl.1
United States

fans3c3673db Posted at 2017-6-25 12:42
Do you have to register for each drone or are you registering yourself?

Technically you do not have to register your drone at this point in time although the FAA website still states that you do. To answer your question though if you are flying for pleasure then you only have to register once and apply your registration number to all the drones you own.

But again, you do not have to register so save your $5.00 if you are flying recreational.
2017-6-26
Use props
Troy Taylor
New

United States

Just bought a Mavic Air. Would it be a good idea to Register it and get the certificate?
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules