Recommendations for still frame settings
2081 16 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

I've been asked to take a school photo for local grammer school.   They want all the students in the photo and don't want to put a photographer on the roof of their building.    I've flown enough to be comfortable putting the drone out of harms way of the kids and getting them all in the frame.     I'm not charging a fee, just helping out with a favor for their yearbook.     I'm not a photographer and want to ask for some help on camera settings.     I typically just use autofocus and let my Phantom 2+ V.3 decide and use the JPG format.    Does anyone recommend trying something different?   I don't want to let them down.   Thanks.
2015-3-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Google DJI Vision+ Photography Capture Settings by Russel Brown,
He does a good and painless explanation of recommended settings in YouTube
2015-3-15
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

Thanks.  I'll give it a go.
2015-3-15
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

I tried the recommended settings from the video.   I noticed when you choose RAW format, you get both RAW and JPEG.     The RAW images were approx. 28 - 32 Meg per shot, and the JPEG were about 10% of that size.    The shutter on the DJI App stayed closed for a much longer time, not allowing me to see the photo.   I'm guessing that has to due with the processing time needed to store the RAW format on the card.    Maybe a faster card will minimize the shutter time.
2015-3-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

marc.aronowitz@ Posted at 2015-3-16 07:07
I tried the recommended settings from the video.   I noticed when you choose RAW format, you get bot ...

Make sure you have a class 10 for sure
2015-3-15
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

I tried the recommended settings from the video.   I noticed when you choose RAW format, you get bot ...

Are you sure you get both while in raw mode?
2015-3-16
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

No pressure then.  I would make up a checklist of everything you need before hand (probably telling you to suck eggs - as the saying goes).  From checking baterries powered up to the controller, wifi extender and quad itself to what settings you are going to use.  I once drove miles away to take some shots only to find I hadn't thought to check the wifi range extender.  I assumed that there would be enough power still in it - luckily I have a car charger with usb in it.
Good luck and put us all in a good light with 'Joe Public'
2015-3-16
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Oh! and another thing - a good recon/practice mission would be good to see any obstacles and test the site.  A few practice shots would also be good - when nobody is around of course.
Enjoy and let us see the best shot with all the details.
2015-3-16
Use props
tonycorsoimages
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I've done this on various occasions...the default settings work fine.  I do shoot with both RAW and jpeg...
https://www.facebook.com/1444722 ... ?type=3&theater
2015-3-16
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

For question a few posts up, yes when choosing RAW format I get both RAW and JPEG images.  I've been using the 4GB card that came with Phantom.    I just ordered a Samsung Class 10 EVO card 32GB.   I figured that should help a little with the slow shutter speed in RAW format.  I also noticed (with the 4GB card) that when I take a still photo, once the shutter opens the video starts recording on it's own.  I'm not sure if this has something to due with the extended shutter time.   I have the app set to automatically record when I lose signal.   This occurred while taking some photo's inside my house with the bird, remote and wifi on.   Interesting.....   I should have a chance to see what happens with the class 10 card before having to take these photos.      

Thanks for the recommendation on practicing at the site.  I did a drive by today to scope it out.   
2015-3-16
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

I received my 32GB class 10 card today.    I tried taking RAW photos again (indoors).   Same as before, very long shutter closed time on the DJI App.     When the shutter opens (app shows what the camera sees), the video starts recording automatically.   Has anyone else seen this happen?
2015-3-17
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

No need for RAW unless you are doing some serious editing. This video is good for camera settings:

Share the pic when you take it!
2015-3-19
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

Real photographers shoot Raw
2015-3-19
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

I have noticed the same problem. The shutter stays closed for a number of second during which you cant see bugger all. It shoots both jpeg and raw, it seems you cant select which one to have, you end up with both. The long shutter time also causes me to loose connection sometimes. Im using a Class 10 card.
This is really annoying. If I wanted jpeg Id select jpeg, but I only want raw but have to have both, grrrr. Come on DJI lets have an upgrade where we can select whcih format we ant to shoot in.

BTW, raw gives you far more editing options in Photoshop or Lightroom.
2015-3-19
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

Looks like the big day will be sometime next week.   I'll post the pic, but I'm sure it won't be as good as many of you have shown in your posts.     As long as the kids like it and the yearbook turns out well, I'll be happy
2015-3-19
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

[img]https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum//Users/marcaronowitz/Desktop/STS 20 cropped.jpeg[/img]

Hope I attached these correctly.   The shoot changed from the entire school to just the graduation class.   Not enough kids to spell out 2015, so they did it in two shot.   I used GIMP for the first time to remove the fish eye and cropped each a little.   I might actually like the originals more personally.   I'm certainly not a professional photographer (as you can see), but the kids had fun and the school was very happy.
2015-3-26
Use props
marc.aronowitz
lvl.2

United States

Maybe this will work

STS Class Pic

STS Class Pic

STS photo about 75'

STS photo about 75'

STS 20

STS 20