Launching from boat help
1273 8 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bdawk2065
New

United States

I am fairly new to the drone world, purchased my Mavic about 4 months ago and have about 15-20 flights with no issues until now. I recently had my drone out on my parents boat and thought it would be cool to get some footage. I thought I would launch it from the bow and just go straight up until I was clear and then do my thing. This is a 50' boat so there is ample room on the bow to launch/land. The boat was moving about 1-2 mph at this point but I did not think that would be an issue, so I went to launch the drone. The second I was in the air the drone tilted (as if I was full backward stick) and crashed right into the windsheild and landed on the top of the boat thankfully. This all happened in a matter of seconds. My first thought was maybe since the boat was moving that it threw something off. So now with the boat stopped I tried launching again. This time I was standing directly behind it, I took off and it did the same exact thing. Full tilt this thing comes at me, luckily I was able to smack it out of the air with only a few minor cuts on my leg. So I figured it would probably be a good idea to figure out wtf is going on with this thing before I loose it in the Chesapeake. Now I am afraid to take it off on the boat.

I have since flown twice over land with no issues. If someone could give me some insight into what the hell happened that would be great.

2017-6-20
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

It's because the forward sensors are avoiding a crash.  You need to takeoff facing the other way.  Also do a hand launch and be 100% sure the engines are at idle.  I've done a bunch of launches off boats now but learnt the hard way too.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You may have had magnetic interference lots of steel on boats, also if you had VPS turned on it might not have been so stable on a moving boat.

You could upload you logs to phantomhelp and come back here and post the link, some of the guys here may help you getting a better understanding of what might have happened.

Best way to launch from a boat is to hand launch of course it's advisable to have two people if it's on a moving boat .
2017-6-20
Use props
bdawk2065
New

United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-6-20 16:25
It's because the forward sensors are avoiding a crash.  You need to takeoff facing the other way.  Also do a hand launch and be 100% sure the engines are at idle.  I've done a bunch of launches off boats now but learnt the hard way too.

Wow that sounds like it could be the problem, can't believe I did not think of that. Thanks for the help!
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-6-20 16:25

The drone does not move to avoid a crash, it will just stop moving forward it won't move backwards, try walking straight up to your drone , it will just beep and won't move until it cuts your nose off. Lol
2017-6-20
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 16:44
The drone does not move to avoid a crash, it will just stop moving forward it won't move backwards, try walking straight up to your drone , it will just beep and won't move until it cuts your nose off. Lol

Mine moves backwards when i launch it too close to something.  That's because i have enabled backwards flying too I guess.  Try it, I just did and it works.  Launch it and then put your hand up and move towards the front sensors.  It'll fly backwards.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-6-20 16:51
Mine moves backwards when i launch it too close to something.  That's because i have enabled backwards flying too I guess.  Try it, I just did and it works.  Launch it and then put your hand up and move towards the front sensors.  It'll fly backwards.

Allowing backwards flying with OA, it's for Active track when you walk up to your AC it will remain at same distance by moving backwards.
Does your AC move backwards when it meets an obstacle?
2017-6-20
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 17:04
Allowing backwards flying with OA, it's for Active track when you walk up to your AC it will remain at same distance by moving backwards.
Does your AC move backwards when it meets an obstacle?

When it meets and obstacle no.  When I launch too close to something yes.  If I put my hand in front of the sensors though it moves back.  I have no idea why mine does it but I also first noticed this when launch on a boat which was constrained for space.  First time though was we were not at idle so moving slightly and this caused the collision.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-6-20 17:21
When it meets and obstacle no.  When I launch too close to something yes.  If I put my hand in front of the sensors though it moves back.  I have no idea why mine does it but I also first noticed this when launch on a boat which was constrained for space.  First time though was we were not at idle so moving slightly and this caused the collision.

Ok anthonyb, I will enable backwards flying and see what happens, learn something new everyday.
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules