Mavic with just DJI Goggles and R/C (no phone) - distance limited?
5558 10 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3f8236ae
lvl.1
United States

As the title says, when I try to fly my Mavic using just the R/C and my DJI Goggles (no smartphone) the drone will only fly within a very small area (as if I'm in ATTI mode) although I have a very strong GPS signal.  Everything works fine with the DJI Goggles when I also use a phone.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or is this normal behavior?  TIA!
2017-6-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

This has nothing to with the goggles. The Mavic with just RC will be distance limited with .800 and later firmware if the phone is not connected (That's the only way it can know you are authenticated/logged in)
2017-6-22
Use props
schwa72
lvl.1
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-22 07:43
This has nothing to with the goggles. The Mavic with just RC will be distance limited with .800 and later firmware if the phone is not connected (That's the only way it can know you are authenticated/logged in)

Thanks!  I figured it was something I was overlooking...duh.
2017-6-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

schwa72 Posted at 2017-6-22 08:08
Thanks!  I figured it was something I was overlooking...duh.

Yeah, the goggles should have no impact on flight distance by themselves and according to my tests, they perform the same as the phone display (which uses the RC to receive the video signal) in terms of getting a video signal.  I pushed the limits and when I lost video, I lost it on both devices at the same time (easy test to do I flew from one side of my house to the other).
2017-6-22
Use props
Censurion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448192 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You Only have to connect to the Dji app for a few seconds to end the limitation.
2017-6-22
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same post with the answers you require
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid840644
2017-6-22
Use props
schwa72
lvl.1
United States

Exib Posted at 2017-6-22 23:47
Same post with the answers you require
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=101334&page=1#pid840644

Nope, that's not the same as what I was asking.  WolfgangStiller's response was what I was looking for.
2017-6-24
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-22 11:39
Yeah, the goggles should have no impact on flight distance by themselves and according to my tests, they perform the same as the phone display (which uses the RC to receive the video signal) in terms of getting a video signal.  I pushed the limits and when I lost video, I lost it on both devices at the same time (easy test to do I flew from one side of my house to the other).

I'm finding the goggles actually have greater distance than the controller- I've had a few occasions when the controller has lost connection yet I have full vision and head tracking.
2017-6-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-6-24 16:35
I'm finding the goggles actually have greater distance than the controller- I've had a few occasions when the controller has lost connection yet I have full vision and head tracking.

Wow!  How much further do you think you got?  Was it in a high interference area? (e.g., lots of wifi or antenas)
2017-6-24
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-24 18:21
Wow!  How much further do you think you got?  Was it in a high interference area? (e.g., lots of wifi or antenas)

It was more a case of being in a wooded area than over a great distance - on one occasion it was about a mile and a half - the controller disconnected for about 15 secs, while I still had perfect vision.

Makes me wonder now if RTH on the drone would operate as normal? I don't want to test that!
2017-6-25
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

That's a bit ridiculous.  DJI stated that the goggles by themselves would replace the controller.  One of the whole selling points was that I wouldn't have to fidget with my phone in order to fly the thing.
2017-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules