How does the Wifi work on the P3S?
3451 11 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

In regards to my P3 Standard with poor range.  I've been flying both the  Standard and my Pro for a long time now.  But I'm not sure I really  understand how the Standard Wifi system works.  This is how I think it  works, correct me is I'm wrong.

The RC unit broadcasts the Wifi signal to the Phantom.  It is a one way  signal.  I believe  it sends commands to the drone for maneuvering, but  receives nothing in return.  It uses the RC center pole antenna to do  this.  The P3S sends out a constant stream of data to the RC unit, which  in turn is displayed for the pilot. That telemetry consists of video  display and all of the instrument readings such as speed, distance,  altitude, etc,etc.  That features uses the two paddle antennas in the RC  unit to receive the signal. But how is the signal generated in the  drone?  Does it also have a Wifi transmitter?

In my case, the video feed never falters. It's the maneuvering signal  that is lost.  If I can get a better understanding of how these two  signals work, I think I can narrow down the reason why I lose signal at  such  short range.  The above is just my understanding, it may not be  fact.  If someone can explain the "Maneuvering" signal to me in greater  detail, I would certainly appreciate it.                                                
2017-6-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I think it's easier to refer to the "maneuvering" signal as the control signal which is 5.8 ghz.  It's a one way signal.

The other signal is usually referred to as the FPV signal which is 2.4 ghz and it's a two way signal.  It carries all the telemetry as well.  In order to work, it has to go from the AC to the controller, then a "checksum" is sent back to the AC and that check is either confirmed or denied with another message from the AC to the controller.  And then if all is okay you get a display.  So it's a very complex process which is why range is so limited with the FPV relative to the control, even though the 2.4 is a better frequency for distance.  

If your control signal is breaking up before the FPV, you likely have serious problems with the 5.8 transmitter.  There could be something wrong with the receiver of course, but it's not likely unless you've been mucking with it.  
2017-6-22
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The WIFI module is packed in the gimbal mother board and this module sends and receives the signals to and from the remote control. The RC has the function as a range extender for the P3S Wifi.
The antenna in the middle is for the control the bird and has a frequency of 5.8 GHz and the Wifi operates with 2.4 GHz. Normally you got the FCC sending power It´s more than CE sending power of my RC and bird.
2017-6-22
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-6-22 14:07
The WIFI module is packed in the gimbal mother board and this module sends and receives the signals to and from the remote control. The RC has the function as a range extender for the P3S Wifi.
The antenna in the middle is for the control the bird and has a frequency of 5.8 GHz and the Wifi operates with 2.4 GHz. Normally you got the FCC sending power It´s more than CE sending power of my RC and bird.

If the Wifi signal is generated in the Gimbal board, then I should be able to detect it with my viewing device.  I just now opened my network  wifi scanning menu on my Samsung Note 3.  I turned on the P3S, but not the RC unit.  I did not detect the Wifi signal at all.  Then I turned off the drone, and turned on the RC unit.  I immediately got the Wifi signal and was able to successfully connect to it.  I think that proves that the wifi signal is radiating from the RC unit and not the drone.
2017-6-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2017-6-22 15:01
If the Wifi signal is generated in the Gimbal board, then I should be able to detect it with my viewing device.  I just now opened my network  wifi scanning menu on my Samsung Note 3.  I turned on the P3S, but not the RC unit.  I did not detect the Wifi signal at all.  Then I turned off the drone, and turned on the RC unit.  I immediately got the Wifi signal and was able to successfully connect to it.  I think that proves that the wifi signal is radiating from the RC unit and not the drone.

The signals to and from the aircraft are on the same frequency as Wi-Fi, but are NOT Wi-Fi signals. This is why your scanning device could not detect them. The only true Wi-Fi signal is the one from the RC unit to your phone/tablet.
2017-6-22
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

I'm still confused.  Guess I'll just stick with my P3 Pro.
2017-6-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2017-6-22 15:35
I'm still confused.  Guess I'll just stick with my P3 Pro.

The problem is with the term 'Wi-Fi'. True Wi-Fi is a network communications protocol, but it happens to use the 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz radio bands. But so do thousands of other devices, anything from garage door openers to baby monitors. It is an unregulated radio band, meaning a free-for-all and you cannot do anything about it if someone else interferes with your signal.

Everyone here says the Phantom uses Wi-Fi for transmission, but in reality, it does not. The ONLY Wi-Fi signal is the one from your RC unit to the phone or tablet. Your network scanner was looking for a properly formatted Wi-Fi network signal, which is why it was able to detect the signal from the RC unit, but it has no idea what the signal between the RC unit and the aircraft is, so it does not show anything.

2017-6-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

To further expand on what Captain Geebax was explaining, the r/c sends its control signal to the Phantom on 5.8ghz.  The Phantom sends its fpv and telemetry to the r/c on 2.4ghz.  The r/c then repeats the 2.4ghz signal from the Phantom in much the way a wifi router does with the internet, except the r/c only broadcasts the Phantom signal, not the internet.  But because it uses the same protocal as your home wifi network to do this, you are able to see it on your device.  Your device is only talking to the r/c, not directly to the Phantom.  That is why you can fly the Phantom with no device at all.  You just need the r/c.  If you want to see the signal from the Phantom, you can get a frequency counter  to see what frequency it transmits on, but that is about the best you can do without a lot of expensive hardware and the training to use it..
2017-6-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-6-22 16:15
To further expand on what Captain Geebax was explaining, the r/c sends its control signal to the Phantom on 5.8ghz.  The Phantom sends its fpv and telemetry to the r/c on 2.4ghz.  The r/c then repeats the 2.4ghz signal from the Phantom in much the way a wifi router does with the internet, except the r/c only broadcasts the Phantom signal, not the internet.  But because it uses the same protocal as your home wifi network to do this, you are able to see it on your device.  Your device is only talking to the r/c, not directly to the Phantom.  That is why you can fly the Phantom with no device at all.  You just need the r/c.  If you want to see the signal from the Phantom, you can get a frequency counter  to see what frequency it transmits on, but that is about the best you can do without a lot of expensive hardware and the training to use it..

^ What he said.....
2017-6-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

As replied on the other forum .....

Nigel
2017-6-22
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-6-22 16:15

Well, I think I have a good idea how this all works.  So according to all of these posts, putting the viewing device in Airplane Mode, or turning off the wifi smart switch will have no affect on the range or performance of the drone.  Right?  You will get the same range with, or without, the iphone/Tablet turn on or off.
2017-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes.  The tablet, the 2.4 signal, FPV, telemetry, etc., has nothing to do with your range.  You can leave the phone/tablet at home if you want.  The AC can communicate with you via its lamps giving you the info you need such as recorded home point, GPS, flight mode, loss of control signal, low battery, critical battery, etc.  
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules