Phantom 2 or 3?
1421 13 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

With the phantom 2 if i get the vision or vison + i have fpv included so i dont have to deal with all the extra things. Im wondering though why they say the range is less and if i could swap the camera easily with my gopro4. or should i just buy the 3 with a good camera and fpv but with the height limit? how can i travel 4000 ft high max and over 2 to 4 miles whch drone would do that best or which setup?

thank you.
2017-6-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I predict that very soon a bunch of people will come onto this thread and tell you in no uncertain terms that what you are proposing to do is illegal. 4000 feet is 10 times the legal altitude in the US, and if you were to be caught flying at that altitude, it would no doubt create even more adverse publicity for the drone users who abide by the law.
2017-6-22
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

just wondering y some say the p2 drone is better because no height limit but then again the range is worse and battery life? so in reality if i wanted to go up to a waterfall at around 2000 ft from 600 ft i could nearly do it with a p3 but the height limit wouldnt allow much. but with the p2 i could go up that high but if i had to travel 2 miles it would probably run out of battery? ill prob just go with the p3 advanced i dont think the height limit will be an issue because a p2 couldnt even reach those heights  without losing all its battery from distance and height.
2017-6-22
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

P3 Adv or P3 Pro both have lightbridge and is the way to go for distance.
2017-6-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

bIackjack95 Posted at 2017-6-22 22:13
just wondering y some say the p2 drone is better because no height limit but then again the range is worse and battery life? so in reality if i wanted to go up to a waterfall at around 2000 ft from 600 ft i could nearly do it with a p3 but the height limit wouldnt allow much. but with the p2 i could go up that high but if i had to travel 2 miles it would probably run out of battery? ill prob just go with the p3 advanced i dont think the height limit will be an issue because a p2 couldnt even reach those heights  without losing all its battery from distance and height.

The altitude limit is from where you take off from, not ground level or sea level. If you wanted to shoot something like a waterfall at 2000 feet, then you might be able to drive up to 1500 feet and then fly the aircraft up from there.

And you are correct, most aircraft will use a significant amount of battery capacity climbing up to that sort of altitude, that leaves you less for flying around, then you need to save a fair amount of power to descend to where you started.

And as pasaytenpete says, the P3A and P3P both have lightbridge which is worth having any time, far better than the P2 or P3S or P34K.
2017-6-22
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

i hike into densley forested skinny eight mile valleys with at least 1000 ft walls on both sides and would like to film above these places possibly over the 1000 ft ridge or up the valley further over the next waterfall (this is hawaii). im concerend about if i lose  signal with the p3 advanced how will it come back to me at the valley without striking a ridge or  something?
2017-6-22
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

how do you think this video was accomplished with only one battery charge and with the p2 he goes so high which is very cool up to 2500 that mountain is possibly 3000

2017-6-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't believe you can "swap out  easily" the go pro with the camera on any of the ACs you mentioned due to the frequency used unless you wanted to fly without FPV.  If you want FPV with your go pro, you would need the straight P2.
2017-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

bIackjack95 Posted at 2017-6-22 22:40
i hike into densley forested skinny eight mile valleys with at least 1000 ft walls on both sides and would like to film above these places possibly over the 1000 ft ridge or up the valley further over the next waterfall (this is hawaii). im concerend about if i lose  signal with the p3 advanced how will it come back to me at the valley without striking a ridge or  something?

Since you have a 500 meter max, 1000 feet walls shouldn't a problem with rth, right?  What you might want to worry about is losing your GPS.
2017-6-23
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

can you tell before you lose your gps. or do you just lose it suddenly? if i do lose it how could i avoid a crash?
2017-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

In that situation, you would have a strong clue because your satellite number would be lower than what you'd prefer.  Seven satellites should make you a little uncomfortable given the high sides of the valley.  Six satellites should make you very nervous.  Five satellites and you'd instantly lose GPS.  If you can see it you can fly it  straight home.  It might be helpful to have experience flying in ATTI since it would be inclined to drift or get pushed with the wind more than you're used to in GPS mode.  A valley like that may not have much wind or it may have air moving along the valley and doing funny things you wouldn't expect.  Raising the altitude should re-acquire your missing satellite(s) and give you back the GPS, but then if you get above the sides of the mountains you could have strong winds up there which you aren't ready for.
2017-6-23
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

I should say p3, it is easier in use and better camera. the antenna is easy to modify and you don't have the high limit when you're flying without tablet or phone
2017-6-23
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

We I bought a p3 advanced for 680 extra battery and case seemed like a good deal on ebay. im just worried about trying to fly in valley and lose signal and it tries to rth. any suggestions or how to avoid signal loss and methods would be nice.
2017-6-23
Use props
bIackjack95
lvl.1

United States

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232384075519

is there a way to tell once i buy it if it had been flown or used at all?
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules