3202 12 2017-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

Could someone help me with the following:

If I Active Track a boat (which is rightly identified by the Mavic as DJI GO shows a 'boat' icon), the maximum speed in which it follows the boat is way too slow to keep up with it.

Active Tracking a car, bike, person, etc. doesn't have that problem as the max. follow speed is not limited like when I'm tracking a boat.

Any thoughts how to fix this?
2017-6-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turn off object avoidance in Active Track mode. (when disabled) you an go faster... Just remember that OE is not working and watch where you are flying.

I have not tried it yet, maybe sport mode will work in Active Track?

Rich
2017-6-23
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

it automatically enabled object avoidance when selecting active track
2017-6-26
Use props
John Sea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718789 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-23 08:14
Turn off object avoidance in Active Track mode. (when disabled) you an go faster... Just remember that OE is not working and watch where you are flying.

I have not tried it yet, maybe sport mode will work in Active Track?

Active Track along with the other flight modes are not enabled in sport mode. At least that was my experience yesterday. I also tend to shoot boats mostly. I did not notice that Active Track works at higher speeds when it tracks other objects. I assumed max speed would be about 20mph regardless of the object being tracked.
2017-6-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

John Sea Posted at 2017-6-26 15:06
Active Track along with the other flight modes are not enabled in sport mode. At least that was my experience yesterday. I also tend to shoot boats mostly. I did not notice that Active Track works at higher speeds when it tracks other objects. I assumed max speed would be about 20mph regardless of the object being tracked.

Thanks for clarifying this point for us. I have not used this feature with Sport Mode and was only speculating it would work. I normally fly manually and hardly use the other stuff...

I guess DJI does not want you flying into something when using automatic modes.

Rich
2017-6-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

I didn't think you could turn off obstacle avoidance when using activetrack?  Then again it's pretty useless when motion tracking because it cannot detect sideways anyway.
2017-6-26
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

In my limited experience using active tracking, object avoidance really isn't any good, except to keep from running in to a wall or something  solid.  Things like bushes, trees and the like, seem to, at best, confuse active track and it tends to change flight paths in unpredictable ways.  Last week I was using active track to follow my son and his dog down a greenbelt path.  Trees scattered about and some fairly close to the sidewalk on either sides.  As the sidewalk twists and turns, active track likes to make straight paths towards it's target, which of course can run it into a tree or a branch pretty easily.  Not really knowing what it's sensor(s) are indication, it often will actually rise up or shift left or right and it could very easily run right into a branch or something else, not knowing it's there.  I keep my fingers on the sticks, and I have avoided all but a single small branch on one occasion that the front left prop hit.  Broke the prop, so it came crashing down, but only about 6 foot or so to the grass.  Didn't hurt anything else, but it did warn me not to trust it very much at all.  Good lesson.
2017-6-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found the speed to be more than sufficient to track a Donzi at plane and up to 25mph.   It works much better than my Phantom 4 in locking on and staying locked during high speed.  Gives me a lot of control during low altitude shots where the slightest mistake is a kamikaze drone.   
2017-6-26
Use props
John Sea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718789 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-6-26 21:40
I found the speed to be more than sufficient to track a Donzi at plane and up to 25mph.   It works much better than my Phantom 4 in locking on and staying locked during high speed.  Gives me a lot of control during low altitude shots where the slightest mistake is a kamikaze drone.   https://youtu.be/jZwW5IySvPA

Cool footage! Classic Donzi!
2017-6-29
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-26 18:09
In my limited experience using active tracking, object avoidance really isn't any good, except to keep from running in to a wall or something  solid.  Things like bushes, trees and the like, seem to, at best, confuse active track and it tends to change flight paths in unpredictable ways.  Last week I was using active track to follow my son and his dog down a greenbelt path.  Trees scattered about and some fairly close to the sidewalk on either sides.  As the sidewalk twists and turns, active track likes to make straight paths towards it's target, which of course can run it into a tree or a branch pretty easily.  Not really knowing what it's sensor(s) are indication, it often will actually rise up or shift left or right and it could very easily run right into a branch or something else, not knowing it's there.  I keep my fingers on the sticks, and I have avoided all but a single small branch on one occasion that the front left prop hit.  Broke the prop, so it came crashing down, but only about 6 foot or so to the grass.  Didn't hurt anything else, but it did warn me not to trust it very much at all.  Good lesson.

I have to agree here. My 3 crashes have all been Active track related because he couldn't figure out what was on it's side and branches. in front of it.
2017-6-29
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-6-26 21:40
I found the speed to be more than sufficient to track a Donzi at plane and up to 25mph.   It works much better than my Phantom 4 in locking on and staying locked during high speed.  Gives me a lot of control during low altitude shots where the slightest mistake is a kamikaze drone.   https://youtu.be/jZwW5IySvPA

Nice footage -- and some really nice houses on that lake.
2017-6-29
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

John Sea Posted at 2017-6-29 03:45
Cool footage! Classic Donzi!

Thanks!  Nice Donzi my friend just restored and got back into the water!  Beautiful boat!
2017-7-1
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-29 05:03
Nice footage -- and some really nice houses on that lake.

Yes, there are some very nice homes on Lake Tuscaloosa.  
2017-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules