Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggles - Immersed with "Out Of Focus" Problems - Mike Mas
12Next >
13443 76 2017-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Goggles - Immersed with Out Of Focus Problems

Hey Guy’s!  Just wanted to put up a post on my disappointment with the DJI Goggles with regard to their ergonomics. Not to be “Mis Interpreted”, the DJI Goggles set a new standard with regard to their amazing electronic technology, who would even imagine flying a machine or camera by just moving your head!

Regretfully, DJI forgot or didn’t want the added expense to add some way of focusing the goggles. I mean with all the camera optics that DJI makes and sells, someone there had to realize that all eyes don’t focus the same. Even a cheap $15 pair of binoculars have some means of focus - what were they thinking? Making matters worse, the image resolution quality is less than what you’ll see on a good iPad Mini.

Regretfully, most all the guys who reviewed the Goggles must have different eyesight then possibly 99.99% of other pilots because I can’t recall any of them saying the image was out of focus, or maybe they just didn’t notice it or didn’t want to say anything??  Perhaps if they spent less time trying to use the goofy word “Immerse” in their vocabulary and concentrated on the image quality, more of us would have known of the problem beforehand.

Luckily, there is a sort of "Work-Around" - By going out and buying a correct set of magnifying glasses, you can actually focus your eyes on the data on the display. My best advise is to go to your local drug store and pick up three sets of glasses; +1.50 / +1.75 and a +2.00. Next, take your time and wear each one for 10-15 minutes to let your eyes adjust to see which works best. You’ll want the lowest power, so your vision isn’t totally blurred when you look outside of the goggles. The next thing you do is return the others and get a extra pair. Its also important that you not get a skinny set of glasses, make sure they are big enough to see the lines of date at the extra top and bottom of the display without looking over or below them.

As I have always said; with helicopters for every good - there’s some bad elsewhere, which applies to this eyeglass fix. The problem is; as you come in from a flight, and lift the visor, your now half-blind because these same glasses that helped you look in the visor are now totally blurring your normal vision!  If all this wasn’t bad enough, if you thought it was clumbersum lifting these oversize, over-weight Goggles off your face before, now you have to fumble around trying to drag those miserable glasses off your head all one-handed.           Ain’t this Fun!

Best Regards, Fly Safe Guys — Mike Mas
2017-6-23
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

im very far sighted so i just picked up a cheap pair of +3.50 reading glasses job done everything in focus ;)
2017-6-23
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

"the DJI Goggles set a new standard with regard to their amazing electronic technology, who would even imagine flying a machine or camera by just moving your head!"

The years and years of FPV pilots using head tracking technology and gimbals might imagine it.

This was DJI's first rodeo with goggles and they fell off the horse. What a gross oversight. How sad.
2017-6-23
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the reply!  Well as you know, most everything in this hobby and I'm talking about going back decades has always been researched and developed in the field by pilots and not the manufacturers.  For the most part, hitting the ground for the first time, the DJI goggles are not a bad release.  You just wonder why they would made such a mistake on the optics which needed no R&D.  Like the Phantom 1 evolved , I'm sure this product follow the same path. Though all its faults, it still works very well electronically, and the wireless interface with the Mavic and multiple station feature, opens up a whole new opportunity for doing serious work. In any case, I'm hanging onto mine, I'll rough it out for a while.

Another set-back is the terrible switch locations of the function buttons and their almost "Impossible to Feel" design.  These two buttons should have been exactly where the power button is located since that's where your fingers are already and it would be super easy to find instead of rubbing holes in the bottom of visor trying to find them where they are.  Oh well  , , , , ,

Regards - Mike
2017-6-23
Use props
fans30b6a0ef
lvl.1
United States

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-23 12:33
Thanks for the reply!  Well as you know, most everything in this hobby and I'm talking about going back decades has always been researched and developed in the field by pilots and not the manufacturers.  For the most part, hitting the ground for the first time, the DJI goggles are not a bad release.  You just wonder why they would made such a mistake on the optics which needed no R&D.  Like the Phantom 1 evolved , I'm sure this product follow the same path. Though all its faults, it still works very well electronically, and the wireless interface with the Mavic and multiple station feature, opens up a whole new opportunity for doing serious work. In any case, I'm hanging onto mine, I'll rough it out for a while.

Another set-back is the terrible switch locations of the function buttons and their almost "Impossible to Feel" design.  These two buttons should have been exactly where the power button is located since that's where your fingers are already and it would be super easy to find instead of rubbing holes in the bottom of visor trying to find them where they are.  Oh well  , , , , ,

Amazing that DJI failed so much on the focus problem. I am nearsighted with +5 corrective glasses.   My Sony Playstation goggles do not have this problem, neither does the HTC Vive or Occulus.  Even Google cardboard works.  

For all the apologists on these forums that said "Just go to Walmart and buy a cheap pair of corrective glasses"-- You just spent $500 and the product should not be defective.  Imagine buying the Mavic Pro and be told that you need to go to Walmart to buy some kite string so you won't loose your drone.

Mine are going back until the next generation where they fix this problem.

PS.  At NAB I had no problem with the focus.  The production run must be different than the proto-type at the show.  
2017-6-23
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can't really compare DJI goggles to 3d goggles such as Oculus. They work completely differently, for completely different purposes.

The reason you don't have this problem in 3d goggles such as PSVR is because your eyes are focused much further in a 3d setting, for example you're in a 3d dungeon with monsters, your eyes are focused at that actual distance depending on what you're looking at.

DJI goggles are not 3d goggles, they are simply 2 screens, with 2 focus lens which makes the screen look big. To fix your focus issues, DJI would have to develop special lens to make the screen appear much further away for less eye strain. This thing is big enough, I don't think we need it any bigger just to solve focus issues for a smaller number of people.

For most people this works just fine. IMO I think the screen looks fantastic.
2017-6-23
Use props
DJHALLSR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1788907 ft
United States

Is there any way to change the measurement from metric to imperial
2017-6-23
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJHALLSR Posted at 2017-6-23 17:37
Is there any way to change the measurement from metric to imperial

Update to the latest firmware (.900) and it is under settings then units.
2017-6-23
Use props
fans30b6a0ef
lvl.1
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-6-23 15:04
You can't really compare DJI goggles to 3d goggles such as Oculus. They work completely differently, for completely different purposes.

The reason you don't have this problem in 3d goggles such as PSVR is because your eyes are focused much further in a 3d setting, for example you're in a 3d dungeon with monsters, your eyes are focused at that actual distance depending on what you're looking at.

Your explanation does not hold up.  I am nearsighted.  You are confusing convergence with focus.  Put a patch over one eye (taking the 3D out of the equation) , the DJI Goggles are still out of focus.  This test does not happen with the PSVR, Vive, Oculus or Google Card Board.  The diopters are the problem.  I am also not the only one of the few who have this problem.  These Goggles are being returned by a lot of people with glasses.  Your explanation does not take into account that the proto-type at NAB worked fine for me.  Many people are solving the problem by velcro in cheap $3.00 glasses from Walmart,  You should not have to do this with a $500 high tech product.
2017-6-23
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Even though I can see the screen fine, it takes a min or so for me to relax with it, but I need reading glasses anyway, and today I put an order in with the prescription that was done awhile ago, it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes.
2017-6-23
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Even with PSVR it says to wear your glasses inside them. Don't blame DJI for poor eyesight.
2017-6-23
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-6-23 22:46
Even with PSVR it says to wear your glasses inside them. Don't blame DJI for poor eyesight.

i find that people  that are not familiar with fpv flying are complaining about these goggles,let me tell you that i have been flying fpv for years with planes and drones i have used most of the fatsharks that were the market leaders in fpv at the time and at £300 - £400 a go very expensive, you also cant wear glasses with the fatsharks at all they only do inserts for near sighted people anyway,but i have to say these dji goggles are a major leap forward in fpv technology,the field of view is the best ive ever seen and the 1080p quality is outstanding,and the fact that you can wear glasses under them is just perfect ,as anyone with any kind of eyesight can use them,these goggles are a briliant piece of kit, im selling my fatshark dominators as they are now obsolete and inferior to the dji goggles.
2017-6-23
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans30b6a0ef Posted at 2017-6-23 21:36
Your explanation does not hold up.  I am nearsighted.  You are confusing convergence with focus.  Put a patch over one eye (taking the 3D out of the equation) , the DJI Goggles are still out of focus.  This test does not happen with the PSVR, Vive, Oculus or Google Card Board.  The diopters are the problem.  I am also not the only one of the few who have this problem.  These Goggles are being returned by a lot of people with glasses.  Your explanation does not take into account that the proto-type at NAB worked fine for me.  Many people are solving the problem by velcro in cheap $3.00 glasses from Walmart,  You should not have to do this with a $500 high tech product.

"These Goggles are being returned by a lot of people with glasses"

Where's your source of information? Until then.. sorry this is a purely false statement.
2017-6-25
Use props
highman.btinter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46893 ft
United Kingdom

Mir Posted at 2017-6-25 11:38

Where's your source of information? Until then.. sorry this is a purely false statement.

seems i will be sticking with my shield tablet and cinemizers then
not getting the reviews i was expecting i.e. to heavy after short while and out of focus definitely not for me cinemizers have diopter adjustment for each eye with the shade attachment the quality is fab. I will cancel my order
2017-6-26
Use props
highman.btinter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

not getting the reviews i was expecting i.e. to heavy after short while and out of focus definitely not for me cinemizers have diopter adjustment for each eye with the shade attachment the quality is fab. I will cancel my order
2017-6-26
Use props
highman.btinter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2017-6-26
Use props
highman.btinter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

bomberuk Posted at 2017-6-23 23:15
i find that people  that are not familiar with fpv flying are complaining about these goggles,let me tell you that i have been flying fpv for years with planes and drones i have used most of the fatsharks that were the market leaders in fpv at the time and at £300 - £400 a go very expensive, you also cant wear glasses with the fatsharks at all they only do inserts for near sighted people anyway,but i have to say these dji goggles are a major leap forward in fpv technology,the field of view is the best ive ever seen and the 1080p quality is outstanding,and the fact that you can wear glasses under them is just perfect ,as anyone with any kind of eyesight can use them,these goggles are a briliant piece of kit, im selling my fatshark dominators as they are now obsolete and inferior to the dji goggles.

2017-6-26
Use props
highman.btinter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

highman.btinter Posted at 2017-6-26 02:32

i hope the crystal sky ultra i ordered is readable in full glaring sunlight or that will be canceled to. Am awaiting reviews of that and may end up cancelling it seems dji is becoming a apple clone
2017-6-26
Use props
MrWhite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272 ft
United States

Yup, I have the same issue but I'm not going to buy $3 glasses to try and repair a design fault. I'm returning the goggles.
2017-7-6
Use props
MrWhite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272 ft
United States

fans30b6a0ef Posted at 2017-6-23 14:41
Amazing that DJI failed so much on the focus problem. I am nearsighted with +5 corrective glasses.   My Sony Playstation goggles do not have this problem, neither does the HTC Vive or Occulus.  Even Google cardboard works.  

For all the apologists on these forums that said "Just go to Walmart and buy a cheap pair of corrective glasses"-- You just spent $500 and the product should not be defective.  Imagine buying the Mavic Pro and be told that you need to go to Walmart to buy some kite string so you won't loose your drone.

I'm with you! Returning my goggles as we speak. A very basic mistake made by some amazing engineers. When I contacted DJI's customer support they acted like my head is on sideways. Either their staff is ignorant or they are in denial.
2017-7-6
Use props
fans0f54eaf6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5440 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

it a shame  after seeing all the hype on you tube i,am disapointed  ,  one of my eyes is worse than the other so i will have to get a proper eye test ,i have worn cheap reading glasses +3 but when you wear them the screen is to big  ,and the glasses mist up ,it's a shame there's no way to adjust the screens  so there a bit more distance from the eye, don't get wrong it a great product ,shame about the focus issues
2017-7-7
Use props
MikeJT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 20/20 and I don't wear glasses and i can't bring them into focus. In addition, if you situate the screen so that it is close to the face (block external light) you can't see the entire screen!

Needs a redesign...
2017-7-8
Use props
MikeJT
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have 20/20 and I don't wear glasses and i can't bring them into focus. In addition, if you situate the screen so that it is close to the face (block external light) you can't see the entire screen!

Needs a redesign...
2017-7-8
Use props
MikeJT
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

highman.btinter Posted at 2017-6-26 02:27

I'm returning mine unit and I don't wear glasses. Disappointed in ability to bring into focus as well as see entire screen when placed close to face (block external light)
2017-7-8
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

bomberuk Posted at 2017-6-23 23:15

Completely agree with the comparison. I had Fatshark dominators v3 and see no comparison between them and DJI.
2017-7-12
Use props
ik8sqi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25774 ft
United States

I'm short-sighted (-6) with a bit of astigmatism (1), and the goggles are blurry both when wearing the glasses and when without. Unusable. I'm very disappointed and will return them tomorrow as I see others are doing too. I'm simply not willing to having to carry and use some additional cheap $3 glasses to make up for this huge design flaw.
2017-7-13
Use props
fans88bebfcd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6762 ft
Poland

ik8sqi Posted at 2017-7-13 16:08
I'm short-sighted (-6) with a bit of astigmatism (1), and the goggles are blurry both when wearing the glasses and when without. Unusable. I'm very disappointed and will return them tomorrow as I see others are doing too. I'm simply not willing to having to carry and use some additional cheap $3 glasses to make up for this huge design flaw.

I guess I should return mind too if they'll take 'em back.  My problem is the same as the other, it's out of focus for me also.  But I have a narrow head and eyes close together and the adjustment for that is all the way in.  Also the head band being rigid (I can get both hands in between them on the sides) which means all the weight is fully on the back of my head so not very comfortable.  To be fair I have the Headplay goggles and they are not comfortable either.  I think I'll stick with the Shield tablet until they ship the Crystal Sky.
2017-7-14
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

What I found that really works great is the adjustable reading glasses that Walmart has for $19.95 they are small and fit just fine in the Goggles...
2017-7-14
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
United States

fans0f54eaf6 Posted at 2017-7-7 12:05
it a shame  after seeing all the hype on you tube i,am disapointed  ,  one of my eyes is worse than the other so i will have to get a proper eye test ,i have worn cheap reading glasses +3 but when you wear them the screen is to big  ,and the glasses mist up ,it's a shame there's no way to adjust the screens  so there a bit more distance from the eye, don't get wrong it a great product ,shame about the focus issues

What I found that fixes the blurry problem in each eye is Adjustable Reading Glass's that I found at Walmart for $19.95 it allows you to make adjustments for either eye.....
2017-7-14
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
United States

If you haven't returned them, go to Walmart in the AS SEEN ON TV ISLE! they have an adjustable pair of reading glass's that allows you to adjust either eye or both. Works great on the DJI GOGGLES, I was going to send mine back till I found these adjustable glass's
2017-7-14
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

I just started using the goggles - learning them at home first before taking flight. All the lettering is doubled (seems doubled, but it's "fuzzy"). I don't need reading glasses ever, only distance glasses (I tried them, and I tried regular readers, but still the double image).

I closed one eye then the other to see how much of it was me, but it's still the same with either eye.

I'd like to keep the goggles because of how much better the experience is (I'll find out more today when I actually fly). Went to the Walmart site and they have adjustable glasses, but a few different types. Which ones exactly did you get that worked ?  ... I'm willing to try any small fix like this.
2017-7-15
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

GreyBird Posted at 2017-7-15 16:19
I just started using the goggles - learning them at home first before taking flight. All the lettering is doubled (seems doubled, but it's "fuzzy"). I don't need reading glasses ever, only distance glasses (I tried them, and I tried regular readers, but still the double image).

I closed one eye then the other to see how much of it was me, but it's still the same with either eye.

So I took them out for a fly. Terrible video results, sorry DJI.  I tried both Smooth and HDMI modes, and... crap. No detail, very mushy. Double lettering I guess was the indicator about the rest of the experience.

I'll try to send them back... just not worth using. I'd rather fly with my IPhone or Pad and see it later on a bigger screen.

Someone in this thread mentioned another headset and I will comment to them to find out if the details are there during flight, which is really what I wanted.
2017-7-15
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

highman.btinter Posted at 2017-6-26 02:32

Greybird here...

Tell me more about your Cinemizers.   Do they have real clarity when you are flying ?  The DJI goggles were not only not bright enough (even though I set them to full bright), they were total mush in the visual experience. I saw more on my iPad !

Let me know, if so, how you set it up once you had them... would be appreciated.

I don't need the goggles to control my flight, I can do that with the controller...
2017-7-15
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2017-7-14 12:27
What I found that really works great is the adjustable reading glasses that Walmart has for $19.95 they are small and fit just fine in the Goggles...

Can you post a link ? They have multiple versions and I don't want to waste money AND time !  

Thanks !
2017-7-15
Use props
DASFREAK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4446 ft
United States

I have the same issues.  Getting older unfortunately.  Instead of wearing glasses check these out.  

Add on lenses for the DJI Goggles [url]www.focus-fixers.com[/url]

I just ordered a pair.  Hope they work well.
2017-8-2
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans30b6a0ef Posted at 2017-6-23 21:36

These Goggles are being returned by a lot of people with glasses.  I believe you just nailed it. I don't wear glasses and the goggles are perfect. Meaning I don't need something to correct my vision yet. The goggles are being used by a lot of people that don't need glasses and a  lot of people that do. Traded in my Fatsharks and wont go back. I also have a few friends who could not use the Fatsharks, even with the diopter inserts. There are a million different sets of eyes, you cant satisfy everyone.
2017-8-2
Use props
fans4bf2e871
lvl.1
United States

DASFREAK Posted at 2017-8-2 06:45
I have the same issues.  Getting older unfortunately.  Instead of wearing glasses check these out.  

Add on lenses for the DJI Goggles www.focus-fixers.com[/url]

Had bought a pair of +2.50 readers for $4. They fixed the problem but just another thing I need to deal with.

Thanks for sharing this link, I just ordered a pair of +2.50 inserts. Although the glasses do work just fine, I can't see anything when I lift the goggles. Does suck that I need to pay another $35 to fix a design flaw. DJI should be offering the fix for free.
2017-8-3
Use props
Rick91
New
United States

Thanks for the information.  I share your same frustration.  I wear progressive glasses and I floored that there is no way to focus the goals.  For a company like DJI not to have a fix for this problem is beyond my imagination.  Very disappointing.  
2017-8-11
Use props
KleinPhoto
New
  • >>>
United States

The goggles have the same high quality feel as DJI's other products, but they are clearly missing an important function.  I am highly disappointed in DJI for not including a focus adjustment, or not offering (or even telling us about) Focus Fixers.

"Today, nearly 40 percent of the U.S. population has myopia, or nearsightedness, and it's only expected to grow. By 2050, 50 percent of the world's population, a total of nearly 5 billion, will be myopic, according to a new review study published yesterday in the journal Opthalmology." -- Popular Science, Feb 18, 2016
2017-8-11
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Collected Goggles yesterday at 1.30pm, returned them to the store this morning for refund.  They could be great, but all the issues highlighted in this and other posts need addressing in a complete redesign and not a firmware fix.  I really wanted these to be great. I was so looking forward to them.  I have never returned anything so fast without giving a longer chance, but I had so many negatives against positives in such a small time that I knew it was right decision.  You could argue that I didn't give them a chance, but I am sure that I did in my own tiny mind.  I think the price of £499 really got to me, for that price they need to be absolutely perfect and have every feature to ensure that most people can use them.  Would I have kept them at a price bracket of £250.....?  Probably.  For info I wear glasses, I did buy the cheap glasses from a store to correct them yesterday, its a pain in the backside.
2017-8-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules