Gimbal Bearing Overload / Calibration
769 0 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansddb53dcc
New
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I purchased a Mavic 2/6/17 and within three weeks the Gimbal had been giving me issues.

I took it out Tuesday evening, removed the gimbal clamp & dome then flew it up about 150ft. I set it to circle me on active trace and left it above to shoot me my son. He was flying his new spark for the first time so wanted to capture it. The footage was as brilliant as ever and everything seemed ok.

About 3/4 mins into my flight I had a warning message come up on my screen saying that there was a bearing overload and that I needed to take the gimbal clamp off .. well the clamp was already off!! The footage was then off kilter and extremely shaky.

I brought it back down, landed safely to check it out. The gimbal had gone limp at this point and it was whipping forwards and backwards quite violently trying to re-calibrate and find its centre, all the while the screen warning me of a bearing overload. I turned it off and quickly google'd / YouTube'd to see if there were any quick fixes. I found some advice saying that the ribbons can sometimes get pinched around the mechanism and if you gently turn the gimbal across it axis' the ribbon will release and normal footage should resume.

I did this and rebooted it, the Mavic started up as normal, gimbal centralised and the buttery smooth footage returned. Now, I appreciate we're on the cutting edge of technology and the gimbal is a delicate piece of kit but I thought that having paid over £1200 for a Mavic that I was paying enough to not have these kind of problems. I feel like I've lost abit a faith in the product and I was feeling apprehensive about using it again. So I contacted DJI and explained, they advised me to send it back immediately as it could be a longer term problem. They were helpful, However they couldn't guarantee that the cost would be covered nor that I could get the product back in time for my holiday.

Luckily I bought the product through a very well established 3rd party UK store and explained the problem to them, they have offered me a brand new replacement, free of charge.

Like I said I feel like I've lost abit of faith in the Mavic and having just invested another £600 in a spark it makes feel like I should maybe return them both and get my money back.

Having read lots of threads and feedback around the gimbal it looks like a re-occurring problem, I was wondering peoples thoughts on whether I should just return my products and invest in something less prone to this kind of issues?
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules