Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PolarPro Cinema Vivid ND4/PL disaster
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi,

I just got a set of Polarpro Cinema Vivid ND filters (ND4/PL, ND8/PL and ND16/PL).

First time I used the ND4/PL and the result is really bad. With Polarization to maximum you’ll see how bad the sky or the water looks.

It’s fine when the camera is behind the sun but different angles are unusable.

Any advice? I am looking to return these filters. I think I am much better using the stock lens than this kit. The video settings were on Auto, I am still learning how to use the P4.

2017-6-25
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same set....I threw them in the trash!
2017-6-25
Use props
VAGUE photograp
New
United States

i thought i read that the polarization is effective at only specific angles to the sun, that it is useless for drones.  found that in research before simply buying the ND filters instead.  id return them if you can or exchange for ND filters.
2017-6-25
Use props
m1shootr
First Officer
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I would advise doing some research on polarizers, ND filters and their application before complaining. It is obvious you haven't.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-use-a-polarizer
2017-6-25
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks for your replies. I will return them and get ND filters.
2017-6-26
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought those as well...I love them for some shots, hate them for others.  The biggest problem is that there is always a dark vertical band somewhere in the sky.  This is the point where the polarizer is working at maximum efficiency (at the correct angle to the sun and the moisture in the sky).  So you could have a great shot, but the sky has a dark vertical band in it.

Setting that aside, the Polar Pro polarizers are simply too heavy for the gimbal.  (Well documented problem).  If any wind (either by windy conditions or by the speed of your drone) is applied to the gimbal, the lens will flop straight down until that wind is reduced.  With the DJI ND filters, I have never seen this problem.
2017-6-26
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Canada

I am thinking to get this set.Anyone using them?
2017-6-26
Use props
Krakozawr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 250725 ft
United States

This is pretty normal for a polarizer.  You can use it to eliminate reflections (for example you can make water transparent by removal reflections from the surface), but if you want to avoid vignetting like this, you have to use a regular ND filters. I suggest you to check out NiSi ND IR filters which have almost zero color cast and very natural color reproduction.
2017-7-24
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.3

United States

Hi Callatis, I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some insight here.  There are a couple of reasons this is occurring.  Polarizer filters provide a variable look based on the orientation of the camera in relation to the sun, as well as the positioning of the filter itself.  They must be rotated prior to shooting to achieve the best results, and are at their weakest when pointed directly at the sun.  Because the drone is rotating in the video above and the sun is visible in the shot, the resulting video has a lot of variation in it.  Normally when I fly with my own ND/PL filters I will land and readjust them between shots - it's definitely more work but I find the results are very much worthwhile.  I tend to keep my settings on manual rather than auto, as this helps the look of my shots remain consistent.  I will also normally not rotate the drone or camera during shooting - once I have my filter set up for the shot I want I will fly up and either move in a single direction or hover, depending on whether I'm shooting photo or video.  All of that being said, I normally only break out the polarizers when I have a specific purpose in mind for them, such as the reduction of glare from the sun when I fly over the ocean.  When I am not shooting in an environment where a polarizer is necessary I usually stick to my ND-only filters and color correct later, as this does afford me a little more freedom in the ai.  As with most things in media this can be a subjective topic and there are many users who prefer the polarizing filters instead.  
2017-7-26
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2017-7-26 13:35
Hi Callatis, I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some insight here.  There are a couple of reasons this is occurring.  Polarizer filters provide a variable look based on the orientation of the camera in relation to the sun, as well as the positioning of the filter itself.  They must be rotated prior to shooting to achieve the best results, and are at their weakest when pointed directly at the sun.  Because the drone is rotating in the video above and the sun is visible in the shot, the resulting video has a lot of variation in it.  Normally when I fly with my own ND/PL filters I will land and readjust them between shots - it's definitely more work but I find the results are very much worthwhile.  I tend to keep my settings on manual rather than auto, as this helps the look of my shots remain consistent.  I will also normally not rotate the drone or camera during shooting - once I have my filter set up for the shot I want I will fly up and either move in a single direction or hover, depending on whether I'm shooting photo or video.  All of that being said, I normally only break out the polarizers when I have a specific purpose in mind for them, such as the reduction of glare from the sun when I fly over the ocean.  When I am not shooting in an environment where a polarizer is necessary I usually stick to my ND-only filters and color correct later, as this does afford me a little more freedom in the ai.  As with most things in media this can be a subjective topic and there are many users who prefer the polarizing filters instead.

I bought a 3 filter set awhile back, Cinema Series ND/PL.
Does Polar Pro make a Cinema Series without the PL?  Honestly I have not used them much yet.
2017-7-26
Use props
Neil Jack
lvl.1

India

You can read here more about ND FILTERS
http://futurelabz.com/know-everything-about-nd-filters/
2017-7-27
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.3

United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-7-26 20:10
I bought a 3 filter set awhile back, Cinema Series ND/PL.
Does Polar Pro make a Cinema Series without the PL?  Honestly I have not used them much yet.

We do!  The Cinema Series features two separate 3-packs, one called the Vivid Collection and one called the Shutter Collection.  The Vivid Collection filters are all ND/PL filters so it sounds like that's the one you have.  The Shutter Collection filters are all ND-only, and offer higher ND-values than the filters in the Vivid Collection do.  The Shutter Collection can be seen on the following page:

Phantom 4 Cinema Series - Shutter Collection

Those can all be mounted to the camera without any rotation or additional setup, and will provide the same results regardless of camera orientation.  If you don't like the look the polarizers provide then these may be a better fit for you.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-7-27
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2017-7-26 13:35

Interesting.  From my SLR days my polarizing filters always had a dot on the rotating element that you rotated towards the Sun's location.  My Polar Pro polarizer has the rotating element but no dot that I can see.  How do you know where to position the element?  

2017-7-27
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is some raw test footage recorded with my P3 Advanced using a Polar Pro Cinemizer ND16/PL on a very windy day.  Conditions appear similar only the sun is a bit higher.

2017-7-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-27 17:55
Interesting.  From my SLR days my polarizing filters always had a dot on the rotating element that you rotated towards the Sun's location.  My Polar Pro polarizer has the rotating element but no dot that I can see.  How do you know where to position the element?

Just point it at the north sky for maximum polarization.  Then paint a dot where the sun aligns just like your DSLR camera's polarizer.  You might be able to do the same with a LCD screen if it is polarized too and compare and mark it similar to your DSLR filter too.

Personally, with any wide angle lens you are likely to have issues with a polarizer in post work where a portion of the image is darkened a lot.  I don't use them with the drones due to the wide angle lens.  Easier to darken in post than do an even dodge and burn to the sky to fix the polarizer effect.
2017-7-27
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.3

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-27 17:55

That's a question we get every once in a while, and we have seen a fair number of people mark their own filters in some way.  We opted not to mark them ourselves for a couple of reasons.  The first is that because of the additional vertical movement drone photography involves, the polarization will naturally vary somewhat more than when you're on the ground with a SLR camera, where the majority of your movement will not be vertical.  In our own flying we found that even with a filter marked we were constantly needing to readjust the polarization for each new shot.  So, while a mark would have been correct some of the time, it would also have been incorrect in many instances.

The other thing we noticed is that in many cases folks tend to have different preferences for the intensity of the polarization.  Marking a "correct" polarization point could have potentially created the impression there is only one correct way to use the filter, when in fact it is as much an artistic tool as it is a practical one.  We like to encourage experimentation whenever possible.  That said, if you would prefer there to be a mark then go ahead and place one on the filter.  There is no harm in doing so.
As for finding the best angle to use, I normally rotate the filter in front of my eye and face the direction I want to shoot in, then mount the filter on the camera in that orientation (I fly a Mavic).  With Phantom and Inspire models the filters have rotating bezels so for best results you'd want to use your phone/tablet/monitor as a viewfinder while adjusting the filter.  Having the drone facing in the general direction you'll be shooting helps as well.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-7-28
Use props
the7orro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3658 ft
Austria

hello - sorry i am dont have so many experience with that subject but when there is writen ND4/PL does PL mean it is a ND4 Filter with incl. polarizing filter? So PL means polarizing?
2018-2-17
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Canada

the7orro Posted at 2018-2-17 05:05
hello - sorry i am dont have so many experience with that subject but when there is writen ND4/PL does PL mean it is a ND4 Filter with incl. polarizing filter? So PL means polarizing?

Yes. And from what I understood, you can use them but only when you have the sun behind you. I preferred to stay with ND only
2018-2-17
Use props
the7orro
lvl.1
Austria

Thanks!!!
From my photo experience I know you can turn the filter to break the light
Which is difficult with a drone
Solution in my point of view landing changing the filter position and fly until you find the right position and than shoot
I will also get the normal
2018-2-17
Use props
the7orro
lvl.1
Austria

Sandman or polar pro?
Any recommendations...
2018-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is exactly how polarizers work and why I don't feel like buying them. (for a drone).
You can't adjust them while flying.
So you either have some specific shot in mind, dial your settings right and take the shot, or you are screwed.
2018-2-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I stopped using polarisers on drones a while ago for this very reason. They have advantages in certain angles to the sun but the standard shutter ND's are so much easier to use.
2018-2-17
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Canada

the7orro Posted at 2018-2-17 06:09
Sandman or polar pro?
Any recommendations...

I got the PolarPro set. PL, ND4, ND8 and I got a DJI ND16. By using the ND16 even on Auto my fps was 100-200 with no jello videos.
2018-2-18
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

I just got today this set  Polarpro Cinema Vivid ND filters (ND4/PL, ND8/PL and ND16/PL) to my Osmo Pocket.  I really don't understand this filter, it destorys the color of the footage adding yellowish tone. Where is the VIVID???
Comparing the footage the Normal color of the osmo pocket is much better, with the Polarpro i don't like it at all and worst with the dcinelike. Why to use these filters? to colorgrade back to Normal color style and colorgrade?  or just use Normal color style and grade it in two steps?
2020-4-13
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

(duplicated)
2020-4-13
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Callatis Posted at 2017-6-26 09:29
I am thinking to get this set.Anyone using them?

I have the same ones except they are for Phantom 4. They work beautifully for me. As far as the issue with the sun, I don't think there is a good solution. I normally fly with a ND16 when there's not much clouds and I just keep my camera in manual and adjust the settings via the remote when I come across a situation as the one you had.
2020-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules