Inspire battery's catch fire on a plane flight attendant extinguishes small fire
6622 38 2015-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Inspire battery's catch fire.

come accross this on facebook don't have any more information do you????

10929953_10155353533375010_1460344818758564380_n.jpg
10931373_10155353533265010_6895001443595130437_n.jpg
2015-3-16
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

I guess more drone haters among those passengers..
I would imagine quite a freight for many !!
2015-3-16
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oh crap. I wonder how this happened? I'm guessing we'll need to put these in Lipo bags next. Probably not a bad idea come to think of it.
2015-3-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The flight crew handled this the way that they are trained to.  That is why lipos are carried in the cabin.  While a fire is never welcome in the cabin it can be discovered and dealt with.  This occurs with cell phone and computers as well.  Personally I would not travel with the lipo installed in the Inspire and I fly with mine all the time.  Right now no one has the full story as to what happened and how the battery was treated.  I am sure that there will be a through and complete investigation.  There is no reason to rush to judgement.
2015-3-16
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-3-17 00:30
Oh crap. I wonder how this happened? I'm guessing we'll need to put these in Lipo bags next. Probabl ...

Yes that's a good idea i think i'll start doing that.

can anybody translate it ?????
2015-3-16
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

Bad news for the inspire 1.
We wait on the conclusions for the cause of this accident.

2015-3-16
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-17 00:32
The flight crew handled this the way that they are trained to.  That is why lipos are carried in the ...

totally agree with you
2015-3-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Surely it is in everyones interest if travelling with any number of Lipos that they are in a Lipo Fire Safe Bag.  Common sense really and self preservation.
2015-3-16
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flight Attendant Extinguishes Small Fire On KLM Flight

2015-3-16
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I guess the real question is will we ever hear the final (and accurate) results of the investigation to this. I am very interested to hear how this actually happened.

Even in my own car each of my Inspires batteries are transported in Lipo bags, its just the smart and correct thing to do and although the TSA does allow people to take the TB45's on board I am surprised they don't require lipo bags to be used. Yeah and even though your case manufactures count the inspire battery tray as a storage device, please use your heads and take it out!!!
2015-3-16
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Lipo bags is there a source for those or a link ?
2015-3-16
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

the problem is there is plenty of lipo bags with prices ranging from under a $ to more than 20 avail for sale, but i suspect there are among these  a lot of junk product. Personally I am not sure how many of these will really work in case of a real fire ! I have been trying to search the net but not easy to evaluate which ones are good and which ones not !!
2015-3-16
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-3-17 00:33
Yes that's a good idea i think i'll start doing that.

can anybody translate it ?????

Despite the expected sensational headlines of "De Telegraaf" (Dutch News paper) We thank the KLM cabin crew for their professional and quick response.
2015-3-16
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

enkhome Posted at 2015-3-17 04:02
Despite the expected sensational headlines of "De Telegraaf" (Dutch News paper) We thank the KLM c ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/trave ... terdam-Bangkok.html
[size=1.2em]Loose lithium ion batteries may only be carried in hand baggage, and each spare battery must be stored in the original packaging, or the battery contact points must be covered with tape to insulate them and packed in separate plastic bags.
[size=1.2em]It permits the transport of object that are powered by lithium batteries, including mobile phones, laptop computers and tablet computers.
[size=1.2em]Last week Boeing and other aircraft makers urged a ban on bulk lithium battery shipments on passenger planes, saying the threat of fires is ‘an unacceptable risk’.
[size=1.2em]An industry group warned that current fire suppression systems on planes cannot extinguish a blaze involving bulk shipments of lithium ion or lithium metal batteries.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2995699/Small-fire-breaks-KLM-flight-Amsterdam-Bangkok.html#ixzz3UaEffWE7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The batteries were in a camera of a film crew flying a tv chef (the fat bold one in the white shirt in the first picture) to Bankok. Better have any battery in your handluggage and not in your suitcase!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2995699/Small-fire-breaks-KLM-flight-Amsterdam-Bangkok.html#ixzz3UaF6lzuZ

2015-3-16
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Update he had left a battery in the inspire
2015-3-16
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-3-17 04:51
Update he had left a battery in the inspire

Why would a battery that is sitting in the inspire catch fire? Does that mean Inspire can short itself sometimes?  Or was it a defective battery? These are questions for QC officer at DJI if they have one!!
That also means our homes are at RISK of Fire from these batteries....
2015-3-16
Use props
greg7140
lvl.2

United States

Here is one source for Lipo bags...

http://www.helidirect.com/pulse- ... bag-25-x-30-cm.html

http://www.helidirect.com/pulse- ... x180mm-4-slots.html

http://www.helidirect.com/pulse- ... x300mm-4-slots.html

2015-3-17
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

TAKE THE BATTERY OUT OF THE INSPIRE! Duh!
2015-3-17
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2015-3-17 19:45
TAKE THE BATTERY OUT OF THE INSPIRE! Duh!

this only speculation it was probably fully charged as will
2015-3-17
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Scary to think what would have happened Had the Chef checked his Baggage even in a proper hard bag...fire in cargo is always dangerous...and usually unrecognized till too late...

One of the theories for the missing Malaysian airliner is LI-po? ion? batteries in Cargo !!

Missing jet Malaysian Airlines [size=14.3999996185303px]MH370  WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after DENYING it
[size=1.2em]Billie Vincent, the former head of security for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, said the revelation re-affirmed his belief that flames started in the cargo hold, destroying the aircraft's communication systems then filling the cabin with toxic fumes.
[size=1.2em]This, he says, would have overwhelmed the passengers but may have given the pilots a chance to divert the aircraft for an emergency landing.
[size=1.2em]He told Air Traffic Management: 'The data released thus far most likely points to a problem with hazardous materials.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586308/Missing-jet-WAS-carrying-highly-flammable-lithium-batteries-CEO-Malaysian-Airlines-finally-admits-dangerous-cargo.html#ixzz3Ue4wREOd

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ ... .html#ixzz3Ue4ATz7n
2015-3-17
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

question: would a sealed steel plate container (I am thinking of  two pressed hals shells in the same shape as the battery itself) keep the fire ? that would be a nice way also to story the batteries in the cases etc ? any comments ?
2015-3-17
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Argentina

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-17 20:28
Scary to think what would have happened Had the Chef checked his Baggage even in a proper hard bag.. ...

This seems very speculative - to say the least.
2015-3-17
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

I say this as, as far as I know one of the ways to control fire (or to avoid it spreading) is not to allow oxygen to feed it, so to cut off the air supply.
if the battery would be sealed inside 2 steel shells ,which obviously must be hold together by a metal belt (which presumably can be pushed over once the shell is closed) to avoid opening in case of explosion, I would imagine that almost no air would be available inside the  sealed compartment for self combustion and it could perhaps be a relatively safe and practical way of transporting and storing
2015-3-17
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Argentina

alessandrobecca Posted at 2015-3-17 22:11
question: would a sealed steel plate container (I am thinking of  two pressed hals shells in the sam ...

Seems to me that it might add shrapnel to the hole equation - but I could (and probably am...) be wrong.
2015-3-17
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

after all this going on call me crazy but my inspire sits outside my house away from my cars or anything that can help my house go up in smoke, who to say that had something to do with the fact of been in a plane, from now on it travels with me in the front seat, and is on my backyard while i sleep or when I'm not home !
2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

We do not have the full details about this incident and are currently unable to comment further on the issue until we have additional information on the battery. We are in the process of reaching out to our customer to gather more information this incident.
Nevertheless, DJI is dedicated to ensuring the safe use of its batteries. We have been one of the only major unmanned systems manufacturer to develop intelligent batteries with built-in safety features.

Our battery manufacturer is one of the top manufactures in the world, which also supply intelligent batteries to Apple and other leading technology companies.
We always recommend that all DJI product owners carry LiPo batteries in their carry-on luggage in line with airline safety regulations. We have provided Intelligent Flight Battery safety guidelines in the box of Inspire 1 to instruct safe use of the Inspire 1’s battery. Some of the key points we highlight in the safety guide include:
·         Discharge the battery from 10% to 20% in order to ensure the battery’s safety.
·         Do not place heavy objects on batteries or charger.
·         Do not put the loose cells in pocket, bag or drawer where they may short-circuit against other items or where battery terminals could be pressed against each other.
·         Do not leave the battery near heat sources such as a furnace or heater. Do not leave the batteries inside of the vehicle on hot days. The ideal storage temperature is 22℃ -28℃.
·         Do not use batteries that have been exposed to water.
We will provide additional guidance following our investigation of this incident.

In the meantime, please contact your sales representative should you have any questions or concerns.
2015-3-17
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

Even though I've never had problems with LIPOs, I always put them into LIPO bags or a large clay flower pot (with closed bottom)
2015-3-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-17 03:22

Guys,

These bags are great , I have three bags I use for charging, but they could also be used when boarding flights

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:liposafety

They dont have WARNING written in massive text so not quite as alarming as some you can obtain.
2015-3-17
Use props
apjr1
lvl.2

United States

I fell better keeping inside a fire box, too heavy to travel with it but keeps my real toys safe in my garage
IMG_7595.jpg
2015-3-17
Use props
FAST 5K
lvl.1

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-17 03:22

team-blacksheep.com
2015-3-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-18 04:54
Guys,

These bags are great , I have three bags I use for charging, but they could also be used wh ...

I had no idea about this at all interesting and ordering asap!
2015-3-21
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I also use lipo bags for my regular rc batteries, but what about the 3s lipo in the transmitters? I tool will be storing my lipos in a special airtight metal box at home, but I would surely like to hear the cause of this incident. Btw, I speak dutch and there's no info worth translating. They only praise the flight crew for handling so adequate (rightfully).
2015-3-21
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I know that lipos present a reasonable hazard when charging, but this is unheard of (to me)!

Check out this vid of a phantom lipo erupting in flames!

Get those lipo bags people! Even for storage!
2015-3-21
Use props
lucmicillo
New

Argentina

Hi guys, i've just bought my inspire and it's supposed to be flying to my country of residence this week. I am very concerned about this! What about new batteries? are they fully discharged right? I ordered an extra 4700 and 5400mAh.

They MUST travel inside the cabin? Should I let my seller know of this or contact the air company

thanks a lot

2015-4-5
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Any updates as to what happened here?
2015-4-6
Use props
greg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

apjr1@verizon.n Posted at 2015-3-18 05:25
I fell better keeping inside a fire box, too heavy to travel with it but keeps my real toys safe in  ...

Can you tell me which brand the fire box you have.
2015-6-25
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

I wonder if DJI blamed the customer for not maintaining their battery properly.  Who was responsible for replacement of the damaged parts?  Anyone know?
2015-6-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-17 00:51
Surely it is in everyones interest if travelling with any number of Lipos that they are in a Lipo Fi ...

Common sense,  but the Lipo bags most likely will not fit inside the Inspire case and especially if you have 4 or 5 batteries.  Never travel with fully charged batteries!

I agree with Ed, we need to see the rest of the story.
Rich
2015-6-27
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-6-28 00:50
Common sense,  but the Lipo bags most likely will not fit inside the Inspire case and especially i ...

Yes agreed.

What I meant was that they shouldn't be in the case, they should have been in Lipo Bags if going onto an Airplane as hand luggage.
Why are DJI blocking all links now.  I note my previous post has had the website for buying the LiPo safety bags is blocked with garbled chinese writing.  This SHIELD filter is getting rediculous and is wrecking the forum knowledge transfer.

2015-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules