Slow sd card
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZS1SSM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123146 ft
South Africa

I purchased my Phantom 4 and like a child with a new toy I could not wait to fly it--Updated the firmware did all the calibrations and off to the field I went with the family .
Flight time was about 20 min  and back home to view the 4k video.

I was disappointed at the quality of the video--the image was perfect , but every now and then it looked like the camera was bumped--jerking and frame losses.

Went back to the store to complain and they said --sorry can not help because it is a sd card speed issue !!!!!

I need to buy a faster sd card for the video to record smooth.

My question is---How can DJI sell the Phantom 4 with an inferior (slow) sd card?
It`s like buying a Ferrari with a mini motor

I think I have been scammed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{:4_154:}

2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
United States

"My question is---How can DJI sell the Phantom 4 with an inferior (slow) sd card?"

I suspect that they didn't.
All the cards I've ever heard of as standard equipment are perfectly good for the Phantom.
A much more likely explanation is that your computer isnn't up to the demands of 4K video.

Take some test video at lower resolution like 1080p  (no need to fly) and see if that plays any better in your computer.
If it does, it's likely that the weak link is your computer.
2017-6-25
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Yes, it requires a lot of horsepower of your computer to play an 4k video. Play the video in a player where you can see one frame at a time and you will probably recognize they are all there.

A good player for an Windows computer is this:  https://mpc-hc.org/

Regards Leif.
2017-6-25
Use props
ZS1SSM
lvl.2
South Africa

Computer is a I7 with 16gigs of ram and a 4gig display card --Played the video on a different pc and at the same place the video did the shaking---so it was recorded like that---If you look at the video frame for frame then you can actually see some frames lost---This only comes back as a slow SD card or the Phantom`s writing speed to the sd card is slow
2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ZS1SSM Posted at 2017-6-25 17:50
Computer is a I7 with 16gigs of ram and a 4gig display card --Played the video on a different pc and at the same place the video did the shaking---so it was recorded like that---If you look at the video frame for frame then you can actually see some frames lost---This only comes back as a slow SD card or the Phantom`s writing speed to the sd card is slow

Well if you got a slow card, that's very unusual.
Can you give some details of the card?
2017-6-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. Just adding to earlier posts to propose that it's not the stock SD card, as it's rated appropriately.
One additional variable I'll query is your media player. I found on my i7 laptop that I couldn't play 4K video well using my player-of-choice - VLC (64-bit). Nor would playback work well with Windows Media Player. I found that the standard Windows 10 Film&TV player works just fine with exactly the same videos.

That being said, others with dedicated video cards in desktop PCs have said that VLC works fine, and Film&TV is sus. My suggestion therefore is, try another media player if you haven't already.
2017-6-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'--This only comes back as a slow SD card or the Phantom`s writing speed to the sd card is slow'

The speed at which the Phantom writes to the card is not an issue, it writes as fast as the card allows. And it does not drop frames, it actually cannot do so. If the card is too slow (which I doubt) it simply stops recording altogether. The problem will be your PC, it is not up to the task of playing back the video.
2017-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Do as wisely suggested. Record several short videos in different speeds, and see if your computer renders any without the jitters.

RedHotPoker
2017-6-25
Use props
ZS1SSM
lvl.2
South Africa

SD card is a 16GB Sandisk Extreme that I recieved with the Phantom
2017-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ZS1SSM Posted at 2017-6-26 23:57
SD card is a 16GB Sandisk Extreme that I recieved with the Phantom

That card is certainly not slow and should easily handle unything you want to do with it in the Phantom.
The SD card is not causing the issue.
Have you tried another card?
2017-6-27
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sounds like you were viewing the in-app cached video and not the original file on sd card.
Or you played the file directly from the sd card sitting in your computer before moving it to the hard drive.

The original file on the sd card that comes with the bird is flawless.
It is either insufficient computing power or one of the above mentioned.
2017-6-27
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-6-25 17:48
Yes, it requires a lot of horsepower of your computer to play an 4k video. Play the video in a player where you can see one frame at a time and you will probably recognize they are all there.

A good player for an Windows computer is this:  https://mpc-hc.org/

Is it free?
2017-6-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes - it's based on open source.
2017-6-27
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Yes, but if you use their player, I'm sure you will give a small grant for future development.  

Regards Leif.
2017-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules