Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Obstacle Avoidance RTH
1717 10 2017-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Szwedu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

Why there is a limit to 100m in Obstacle Avoidance during RTH . So if i am 200m, 500m away or so the spark will smash into obstacles ? Who needs Obstacle Avoidance at max 100m ?

RTH

RTH
2017-6-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Somehow I think that the wording of this might be incorrect.
2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-26 02:09
Somehow I think that the wording of this might be incorrect.

The wording is correct I've checked it out, it just means that once you have your RTH height set higher than all surrounding buildings obstacles then you won't have any problems.
I'm not to sure if it has something to do with 3D sensors as Spark is the first drone to have this type of sensor installed.
Very few AC are saved by OA on RTH , reason for this is operators are usually pretty good at setting RTH height, failure to do this with spark will result in a crash.
2017-6-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-26 02:25
The wording is correct I've checked it out, it just means that once you have your RTH height set higher than all surrounding buildings obstacles then you won't have any problems.
I'm not to sure if it has something to do with 3D sensors as Spark is the first drone to have this type of sensor installed.
Very few AC are saved by OA on RTH , reason for this is operators are usually pretty good at setting RTH height, failure to do this with spark will result in a crash.

@Hallmark...Do our Mavics keep OA on why RTH is active?
2017-6-26
Use props
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

perhaps this is due to battery levels during the return to home, should the aircraft need to return under low power the fastest route will be minimum height set and a straight line to home point. Inside of 100m im guessing it has a gps route log and uses the sensors to detect if any new objects are in its path to return to the home point. I would be interested to see if anyone can test this by flying in a defined pattern from home point to about 50m away and then activate return to home, see if it flies back along the path or does a straight line to the homepoint.
2017-6-26
Use props
Szwedu
Second Officer
Poland

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-26 02:43

i saw a video where Mavic on RTH did avoided roof of a building so i think its working.
So OA in Spark is more for RTH with option "return on same height" turned ON i think as the drone is made to stay close to the pilot.
2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes Mavic does, so long as you have vision sensors on.

I think also the problem with spark is. RTH outside 100 meters travels at 36kph so this might be too fast to detect obstacles and that is the reason.

It kinda makes sense if you were 300meters out and you lost signal would you want it travelling back to you at 10kph in a 15kph wind. That's the one where you will never see it again.
2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Szwedu Posted at 2017-6-26 03:01
i saw a video where Mavic on RTH did avoided roof of a building so i think its working.
So OA in Spark is more for RTH with option "return on same height" turned ON i think as the drone is made to stay close to the pilot.

RTH at same height only works within 20 meters.
2017-6-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

What hallmark007 said is exactly the reason why obstacle avoidance will not take effect when the drone is farther than 100m from the home point, the speed 10m/s is too high and is hard to recognize the obstacle, so we suggest to adjust RTH altitude properly before taking off.
2017-6-26
Use props
Szwedu
Second Officer
Poland

OK ,now we know.
Thanks all
2017-6-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

RTH with OA only when in Position mode. OA will be disabled when RTH in Sport mode.
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules