Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Above fireworks footage
2336 25 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

I know I've seen some footage on YouTube, but has anyone ever attempted this? These shots, if done right, are spectacular. They are flying it either above the fireworks or right in the center of it. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted it. What are the risks? I'd figure, there's a slim chance that the drone will actually be hit with one. But what a view that would be....
2017-6-27
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I have attempted it, yet I believe that I came close to ruining  one of my drones.  First I tried flying at the same level as the fireworks, yet some of the fireworks were coming too close to my drone so I tried flying above the fireworks.  The fireworks that I was shooting off were going up about 150 feet, so I took it up to 350 feet just play it safe.  I'll see if I can put one of my videos here.
2017-6-27
Use props
Dewey3
lvl.3
United States

If this is not the video you saw on YouTube, it's the one you want to see.  I don't think you can get any closer to fireworks than this...
2017-6-27
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

for this you would have to be prepared to lose the drone, i think that footage would definately be worth it
2017-6-27
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Dewey3 Posted at 2017-6-27 12:41
If this is not the video you saw on YouTube, it's the one you want to see.  I don't think you can get any closer to fireworks than this... Flying Drone Into Exploding Fireworks

That is crazy cool! Could you offer up what settings were used on the camera? I want to give it a shot.
2017-6-28
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
United States

Imagine this in 4K? I have the P3A so 1080p would be good enough. I would think going above the 'zone' would be safe, plus it would offer a great top/down view. However, the key is knowing how high fireworks shoot up?

I see it like this:

Most fireworks show lasts 20 minutes. For the first few minutes, it'll be the small stuff. The big stuff is always at the end. So bring the bird in from the side, just to be safe. Then based on the view you can see how high it's shooting up. Then bring it in and up above the 'zone'.  Pan down and adjust based on how close it is. My town has a few big ones. We also have some friends that are putting a show on. It might be safe for me to start with the small stuff before I graduate to the big time city fireworks show next year.
2017-6-28
Use props
Socalrob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live next to a high school that does a pro fireworks show every year. If I send my p3p straight up to film I'll be about 400 yards from where they launch. I still haven't flown at night and a little nervous. Still a novice. I'm interested in finding the best camera settings for this also. I thought about using the Mavic for this but I think the p3p will be better. I'm going to do a practice run tomorrow. I can't get too close, flying over the school during this is a big no no so I can only move back and forth along the property line.
2017-7-2
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

If this is not the video you saw on YouTube, it's the one you want to see.  I don't think you can get any closer to fireworks than this... Flying Drone Into Exploding Fireworks

I hope anyone who is thinking about flying their drone through exploding fireworks would STOP and rethink this decision! It is DANGEROUS! Humans are involved in presenting these spectacular aerial displays for our Independence celebration. You will be placing them in more danger than they are already in if one of these projectiles hits your drone and takes it down upon them....or those who are there in celebration! If you do decide to fly into exploding firework...I hope you get caught in your stupidity!
2017-7-3
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
United States

be sure to post your vid i bet it will be awesome and the haters will be even more mad!
2017-7-3
Use props
bob37
First Officer
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

That was spectacular.  Thank you for sharing it!  It looks like it is over water making it even more dangerous for your drone.  It was worth the risk.  
2017-7-4
Use props
bob37
First Officer
United States

I posted your Youtube link to Facebook (NOT taking credit for it) and getting amazing responses.  Thank you for sharing.  It looked like the camera got hit once!  Was there any damage on your bird?  
2017-7-4
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

NO damage to the quad, but it wasn't his quad in the video he linked. He was just referencing it.
2017-7-4
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

#shotxclvck Posted at 2017-7-3 13:15
be sure to post your vid i bet it will be awesome and the haters will be even more mad!

I like that response, I just like that response.
2017-7-4
Use props
bob37
First Officer
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-7-3 02:13
I hope anyone who is thinking about flying their drone through exploding fireworks would STOP and rethink this decision! It is DANGEROUS! Humans are involved in presenting these spectacular aerial displays for our Independence celebration. You will be placing them in more danger than they are already in if one of these projectiles hits your drone and takes it down upon them....or those who are there in celebration! If you do decide to fly into exploding firework...I hope you get caught in your stupidity!

MJ, You can see that this was over water with electronic triggers (as most large displays are).  The only risk was to the drone.  Lighten up and enjoy the show!
2017-7-5
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
United States

Just an FYI...I did fly last night and caught some amazing footage. I thought about flying 'through it'. But thought it could be a potential hazard so I opted not to. The chances are slim that it would get hit and fall. But the chances are there. I am not as concerned about it dropping on someone's head. The chances of that happening, is very remote.

I was about 1 mile from the 'zone'. I took off from an empty grassy field and took off to 400ft. I got in close and hovered to get the shot. The view from my phone seems like it was still a distance so I moved in closer. After flying back to swap battery, I flew back to get the final shot.

When I got home and viewed the video, there was one shot where the drone flew through the fireworks. I was actually flying by the smoke puffs. I will post once done editing.
2017-7-5
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

bob37 Posted at 2017-7-5 09:49
MJ, You can see that this was over water with electronic triggers (as most large displays are).  The only risk was to the drone.  Lighten up and enjoy the show!

I'm sorry if you took it to heart! I have seen too many drone videos as they fly through the exploding fireworks! I never mentioned the posted video was endangering anyone at any time. That pilot had common sense! They flew at a safe distance. Ive never been to a firework display over water. All I've seen in my 60 years has been over land while the spectators sit 100 yards from the launch point. I did enjoy the posted video, it was beautiful! I was giving my 2 cents for those who want to fly through exploding fireworks while the spectators sit just below. I hope you are not one of those idiots who will endanger people or property to get that spectacular shot!
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Baltimore's main fireworks display is launched from a barge in the harbor well away from spectators.  If one decided to fly into the display & was knocked out the drone would fall into the water & unlikely to hit anyone.  I wouldn't fly in because the barrage is pretty intense & I don't want to lose a bird.

Full July 4th, 2017 Baltimore Show:

2017-7-6
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 04:38
Baltimore's main fireworks display is launched from a barge in the harbor well away from spectators.  If one decided to fly into the display & was knocked out the drone would fall into the water & unlikely to hit anyone.  I wouldn't fly in because the barrage is pretty intense & I don't want to lose a bird.

End sequence of July 4th, 2017 Baltimore Show:

wow just wow!
2017-7-6
Use props
bob37
First Officer
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-7-6 02:51
I'm sorry if you took it to heart! I have seen too many drone videos as they fly through the exploding fireworks! I never mentioned the posted video was endangering anyone at any time. That pilot had common sense! They flew at a safe distance. Ive never been to a firework display over water. All I've seen in my 60 years has been over land while the spectators sit 100 yards from the launch point. I did enjoy the posted video, it was beautiful! I was giving my 2 cents for those who want to fly through exploding fireworks while the spectators sit just below. I hope you are not one of those idiots who will endanger people or property to get that spectacular shot!

No, it would be to hard to tell my wife i just lost the drone doing something as bold as that.  I have flown 139 flights (not counting short test flights) and am still a nervous flyer.  
2017-7-6
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
United States

Finally finish editing mine.
2017-7-27
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2017-7-27 12:09
Finally finish editing mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69W4EJgbkrk

Very nice my friend! I love taking pictures of fireworks with these birds. Gives you a whole different view from up there doesn't it?
2017-7-27
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
United States

It surely does. Everything is different from above, especially that high up. Man, that was scary though. I saw the red light against the black skies. It's just eeery seeing that red light go all the way to the fireworks.
2017-7-28
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 04:38

Full July 4th, 2017 Baltimore Show:

Any chance you can post what settings you used to film this?
I see you uploaded in  4K
Were you in manual camera setting, 200 ISO, 30fps, ect... it would be helpful in future planning of nighttime videos, set aside the fireworks, the background city lights look awesome as well !!
2017-7-28
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-7-28 10:19
Any chance you can post what settings you used to film this?
I see you uploaded in  4K
Were you in manual camera setting, 200 ISO, 30fps, ect... it would be helpful in future planning of nighttime videos, set aside the fireworks, the background city lights look awesome as well !!

Thanks!  Wish I could say I had some secret but that was recorded in 4K in full auto mode with the "None" video profile.  There were no filters or post color correction, sharpening, etc..  I just trimmed the video before addimg titles,  credits, & music.   I always shoot in full auto & only recently began experimenting with filters.

2017-7-28
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-28 11:42
Thanks!  Wish I could say I had some secret but that was recorded in 4K in full auto mode with the "None" video profile.  There were no filters or post color correction, sharpening, etc..  I just trimmed the video before addimg titles,  credits, & music.   I always shoot in full auto & only recently began experimenting with filters.

Nice, looks great, good to know.
2017-7-29
Use props
Waba Waba
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

Got a few over head shots and one real close to and explosion..

2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules