Spark Remote DIsconnecting Mid Flight
49583 479 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Yes, they need to recall...at least the controllers if that is where the issue is. I wish I would have purchased from amazon so I could return it. The Magnus on moss warranty act ensures that if a product is repaired multiple times without a resolution you are entitled to a refund from the manufacturer. Fortunately for DJI their repair service is so slow it would take 6 months to do that. By that time we will have beta tested their product enough for them to figure out what they did wrong.
2017-7-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 03:41
Hi All,
We are working on this case you reported and care much about your experience on Spark, sincerely sorry for any inconvenience caused recently.
If you have the RC disconnection issue, please feel free to leave us your dji account so we can provide you the beta firmware for RC firstly, thank you very much.

patlucas72@gmail.com and why isn't the upgrade available at Assistant?
2017-7-21
Use props
Tango Tango
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-29 17:54
To locate where the problem persists and get it sorted out, please help us confirm the following info.
1. What is the firmware version for remote and aircraft? You could upload a screenshot here.
2. Please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark page, install it then connect the aircraft to PC, run assistant 2 and export the data from black box, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.[view_image]

How do I check and upgrade the RC for my spark?
2017-7-21
Use props
fansb3a79777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 323235 ft
United States

The app does updating for u but still not convinced . Wish I would get reassurance from dji and they provide some customers service
2017-7-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok, did an RC update about an hour ago and flew two batteries 10 mins apart in between.  No RC to AC disconnection just video weak signal and disconnected about four times total, but as long as you fly LOS it's ok.  Then set it down and flew my Mavic and WOW what a difference.  I guess the RC upgrade worked for me just need video connection to be way better and I was running OTG.  More flying tomorrow to be done and the Spark flew 34.8 MPH today, what a trip this little thing is.
2017-7-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

And additional input: the RTH need some serious work.  It's not even close to where it lands from take off.  
2017-7-21
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25085 ft
Spain

Natalia hello! Two days is already waiting for the firmware you promised. I like going .... I run constantly and check whether you sent it or not. Dron is the whole vacation and why I bought it for 900
litvakl@mail.ru
2017-7-22
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6260 ft
Greece

DJI Natalia, can you please push beta firmware to me? marco.diciolla85@gmail.com

We are seriously getting inpatients here...and many people have already lost their drones. I am planning to contact BBC soon to investigate the issue since it seems customer service does not care much. It is not ok to release a 700 euro device with such big flaws.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

dims85 Posted at 2017-7-22 01:45
DJI Natalia, can you please push beta firmware to me? marco.diciolla85@gmail.com

We are seriously getting inpatients here...and many people have already lost their drones. I am planning to contact BBC soon to investigate the issue since it seems customer service does not care much. It is not ok to release a 700 euro device with such big flaws.

It is not necessary to frighten and it is necessary to do. I spent 900 € and I sit like a fool waiting when they supposedly send something. And before that I tried to persuade them for a week to promise me to do it. As they say in Russia - to promise does not mean getting married
2017-7-22
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

Main point is that we cannot use safely the drone and their customer service reaction time is couple of text saying they are working on it per day. This cannot be going this way anymore. They should fix the issue quick and get more customer service support since the urgency of the issue! If they cannot do it, then people should know what they r signing up for before buying a spark!
2017-7-22
Use props
gkelly
lvl.1
Canada

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-7-21 13:40
TURN BLUETOOTH OFF ON YER PHONE!   All my issues went away.

I'm flying in Airplane Mode with only WiFi turned on.
2017-7-22
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

Flew a bunch more over the last few days, over water etc. and have had ZERO RC disconnects. Completely satisfied with my Spark!
2017-7-22
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

gkelly Posted at 2017-7-22 03:04
I'm flying in Airplane Mode with only WiFi turned on.

Fly on! At us RC loses communication
2017-7-22
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

dims85 Posted at 2017-7-22 02:25
Main point is that we cannot use safely the drone and their customer service reaction time is couple of text saying they are working on it per day. This cannot be going this way anymore. They should fix the issue quick and get more customer service support since the urgency of the issue! If they cannot do it, then people should know what they r signing up for before buying a spark!

The Beta is closey, no beta firmware will be send to "testers"
Official firmware will be released within a week.
Dont you read Natalia's anouncements?
2017-7-22
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-7-22 05:50
The Beta is closey, no beta firmware will be send to "testers"
Official firmware will be released within a week.
Dont you read Natalia's anouncements?

Read carefully the forum. Some have been sent. Or you do not read but just write
2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Is DJI responsible for any damages the Spark occur during these trial times? I think so, we have all the evidence right here in this thread which everyone should print and save.  
2017-7-22
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-22 06:00
Is DJI responsible for any damages the Spark occur during these trial times? I think so, we have all the evidence right here in this thread which everyone should print and save.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=853829
2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-22 06:04
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=105227&pid=875410&fromuid=853829

Why was I tagged to this thread?
2017-7-22
Use props
fbob
New
United States

Welp, I'm having the same issues as all of you.  I've had no successful flights with the RC.  All flights disconnected moments after take-off.  Flying with AC and my OnePlus 3 works decently enough. Tried all remedies short of pleading for the Beta firmware to get sent to me.  I'm debating now on either returning it or waiting for the firmware.

If I purchased it via Amazon, does the 14 day return window begin from the day I received it or ordered it?  I have 3 days until my 14 day window expires from the point of order.... or 10 days until my 14 day window expires from the point of delivery.
2017-7-22
Use props
dims85
lvl.1
Greece

Dear LeChuck,

I read the blog very carefully. Infact it s couple of days i am posting on it. Dji natalia has promised us a beta version for some days now. I dont care that the official release will be out next week. I bought the spark to take it with me on holiday in Greece. I wasnt able to take a single shot with it since the first time i tried to fly it i almost lost the drone due to the disconnection. Now my holiday will be finished tomorrow and i wont have a single video with the spark due to their customer service inefficiencies! Glad you dont care to wait but not everybody is in tbe same situation as yourself.
2017-7-22
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125308 ft
United States

I read a post here that it helps if you turn off bluetooth on your phone. I did help in my case. I still get drop outs but A LOT less than before.
2017-7-22
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-22 06:31
Why was I tagged to this thread?

just letting you know what the Admin says about "trials" & repairs cost
2017-7-22
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48320 ft
United States

Flew again this morning with the controller .0207 fw. Spark still disconnected after 7min. Last night I only got 3 mins. It is hot here currently so I fully expect this is a thermal failure in the Spark. I doubt another controller FW release will fix it but may help it reconnect better after it disconnects mid flight.  I am thinking that sending the defective Spark back for warranty replacement is the best option even as I have held out for a new official FW release.
2017-7-22
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

fans8a1c52ee Posted at 2017-7-22 05:58
Read carefully the forum. Some have been sent. Or you do not read but just write

Post #258 from Natalia 21.07.2017

Hi All,
The firmware test has finished, appreciate your support.
I have checked the info with engineers, we will release the official firmware within next week.
Will let you know once it's available, thank you all for your support!

So "Beta" is closed, no more beta firmware will be send out - wait for the release.
If you didn't get it by know they have probably forgotten to push you on the test list or just had enough info.

2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-22 07:36
just letting you know what the Admin says about "trials" & repairs cost

I was talking about when we loose control of the drone and damages other peoples property.  DJI should be liable for property damage since this drone is very unpredictable.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

I already wrote above, I had to grab the drone when he flew uncontrollably to the take-off point and there at that time people came up. I cut two fingers with propellers, the whole arm in blood, the children were frightened. Since then I've been begging the firmware, the drone was lying down, the vacation is ending. Brad somehow, I bought an expensive useless device, I can not even return it
2017-7-22
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

I only disconnect if I go too far away the signal is strong with OTG 2.4ghz (EU) much less with 5.8ghz (EU).

Is it normal that RTH only works on the phone display? If I press the key on the RC nothing happens.
2017-7-22
Use props
RogerP
lvl.1
Netherlands

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-22 12:17
I only disconnect if I go too far away the signal is strong with OTG 2.4ghz (EU) much less with 5.8ghz (EU).

Is it normal that RTH only works on the phone display? If I press the key on the RC nothing happens.

You need  to push and hold the button for some moments to activate RTH on the remote...
2017-7-22
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

RogerP Posted at 2017-7-22 13:02
You need  to push and hold the button for some moments to activate RTH on the remote...

ah okay tnks
2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RogerP Posted at 2017-7-22 13:02

Thanks for clearing that out.   
2017-7-22
Use props
drone-o-rama
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118 ft
United States

Byrd's Loft Posted at 2017-7-22 07:45
Flew again this morning with the controller .0207 fw. Spark still disconnected after 7min. Last night I only got 3 mins. It is hot here currently so I fully expect this is a thermal failure in the Spark. I doubt another controller FW release will fix it but may help it reconnect better after it disconnects mid flight.  I am thinking that sending the defective Spark back for warranty replacement is the best option even as I have held out for a new official FW release.

I opted to send mine in for warranty repair.  It is scheduled to be back in my hands on Monday (24th).  What remains to be seen though, is what exactly they've "fixed"....and of course whether or not it actually solves the problem.  I'm trying to remain positive, but I'm skeptical since I believe if they knew exactly what the problem was and had a fix for it, they would be instructing everyone with this problem to send it in for repairs.  But they're not.
2017-7-22
Use props
gkelly
lvl.1
Canada

I think it's possible that it's either an RC or an AC problem.  I've got a friend who has a spark that isn't exhibiting this problem.  I'm going to bind their remote to my spark and my remote to their spark and see which combination fails.

My instinct is that there's an oscillator that isn't being temperature compensated somewhere in the RC or AC.  Given that the AC can continue flying on wifi control from a phone I'm leaning towards suspecting the RC.  I'm going to also try running the RC in a cooled environment (car with air conditioning) to see if I can't get it to work reliably.

DJI Anybody, any updates?  No updates is not great.  
2017-7-22
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
United States

gkelly Posted at 2017-7-22 17:30
I think it's possible that it's either an RC or an AC problem.  I've got a friend who has a spark that isn't exhibiting this problem.  I'm going to bind their remote to my spark and my remote to their spark and see which combination fails.

My instinct is that there's an oscillator that isn't being temperature compensated somewhere in the RC or AC.  Given that the AC can continue flying on wifi control from a phone I'm leaning towards suspecting the RC.  I'm going to also try running the RC in a cooled environment (car with air conditioning) to see if I can't get it to work reliably.

That should be a very enlightening test. I look forward to reading your results. I've been looking at my spark .dat files with csvview and all looks normal until the RC signal drops for 7secs so the AC goes into RTH and then the signal is back.
2017-7-22
Use props
fbob
New
United States

I contacted DJI Customer Support with my issue.  They asked for a video of the issue and some photos/invoices.  I submitted the info and video and they asked me to send the kit back for warranty repairs.

I'm still able to return the entire kit.  Not sure how much the warranty repair would help.  Should I give DJI another shot?
2017-7-23
Use props
fans8a1c52ee
lvl.2
Spain

fbob Posted at 2017-7-23 07:24
I contacted DJI Customer Support with my issue.  They asked for a video of the issue and some photos/invoices.  I submitted the info and video and they asked me to send the kit back for warranty repairs.

I'm still able to return the entire kit.  Not sure how much the warranty repair would help.  Should I give DJI another shot?

Return and do not worry. Buy Mavic and you will be happy
2017-7-23
Use props
fansc68f55d2
New
Flight distance : 1160942 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Any ETA for the DJI fix and update to this problem?
2017-7-23
Use props
SladeHayes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 485486 ft
United States

So a quick update on my dilemma - I received my FMC White Spark last Wednesday. Did a maiden at the office, where admittedly, there's a ton of interference, and I was not using the OTG cable on my iPhone 7 (iOS 11). Had the RC cut out a at least 5 times within 3 minutes of starting my flight. Each time the RC would disconnect, and the AC would slowly return to home. There were a couple of times where I could quickly reboot the RC, and have it reconnect, but we're only once out of 4 times maximum. Thursday I tried it with the OTG cable and a different phone (iPhone 7 on iOS 10). Same issue. Thought it might be the location as work is close to satellite dishes, so Came home and tried it with the Google Pixel and the OTG cable and had the same issue. Home is pretty far from any interference issues, so I thought that might help. Same problem.

I took the Spark to the house to see if that would be any better. I flew in the back yard for a little bit, got close to 5 min in to a flight, and the RC just quits. I did this at least 6 times, and had the same issues over and over: Fly for a few minutes, RC disconnects, I have to turn off the RC, and go grab the Spark. I would never fly it too far away, or forget to set the RTH location, just incase. I sometimes can get the RC to reconnect, but not often, and not with any reliability. Once it disconnects, its done. I have to reboot the RC, the AC and the app. This behavior is consistent with the RC no matter what platform for the phone, or connection to the RC.

I read a TON of forum posts, read about how this is not uncommon. I reset the AC and the RC back to factory settings. Took the Spark out again today just to see if any of that changed the outcome. Had a nice 3 minute flight going on with the RC, foolishly thought "this might have fixed it." and of course, the sticks go dead, the RC flashes red and it begins to return home. Now the RC is to the point to where once it looses connection, it will NOT reconnect without a full reboot of everything. Thinking that the heat could be an issue (I live in Georgia, USA) I rebooted the entire system and put an ice pack wrapped in a towel under the RC when I flew it, to make sure that there wasn't an overheating issue... Nope. Same behavior.

Just to verify that its the RC and not the AC, I flew a full battery with the iPhone 7 (iOS 10) and had no issues. Obviously its not nearly as good of an experience to fly, but I didn't have any connection issues, and the Spark was stable and fun.

I just chatted with DJI Support and the RC will be going in for repair. Fingers crossed. There's a slight chance that the new firmware will come out before I ship off the RC, but I doubt it. I really like the size and the flexibility of this aircraft, and simply want the experience that my other friends around the world have with their Sparks!
2017-7-23
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
United States

I really have begin to believe it is a heat related issue with the 5.8ghz radio in the spark (could be in the remote controller).  When you fly phone only it uses the 2.4 and that has worked fine.  It also worked great for me this morning when I forced the RC-AC link to 2.4 and then used OTG cable btwn phone and RC to totally eliminate using 5.8.  Two full batteries (have to redo the 2.4 lonl after changing battery) and no disconnects.
2017-7-23
Use props
fbob
New
United States

Well, I'm shipping mine back tomorrow for a warrantied repair.  I'll post back with results.
2017-7-23
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules