Spark Return to Home... what am I doing wrong?
12Next >
37955 44 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

I just got my spark.... I set the home point.  Every time I hit return to home, it just lands where it is.  Isn't it suppose to come back to you?
2017-6-28
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have beginner mode turned off? Seems like I've heard that. Also, are you sure the home point has been recorded? It should return to you. Unless it's in begins mode. Furthermore, using RTH is not something you want to use unless absolutely necessary. Keep in lid that's a failsafe not something to do casually or often. I also think it will only really do it if you are a certain distance away. So I don't think it's gonna do it if you are just 20 yards away or something.
2017-6-28
Use props
fans4133dd44
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue. My RTH location is recorded and it's always 45 ft off. I normally have to stop it from landing in the trees.
2017-6-28
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

You'd read the manual right? You know it has to be 20m from the home point to RTH work?
2017-6-28
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hey there,
If you read the manual.
If Spark within 3m to 20m, you need to enable "RTH at current Altitude", or else it will land immediately at where it is hovering.. You can find this option when click on the "..." icon at top right, then choose first tap.
you can see the option.
2017-6-28
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Always check your home point's accuracy before taking off ! You have to create a new home point if the deviation was too large !

2017-6-28
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Thanks.  I was told by DJI it has be be more than 30m away.  I have beginner mode off.  
I will try from farther distance.

Can anyone explain to me what the diff is between the home points... Arrow w/ H and little man sillouete w/ H?  Both seem to set the home point...

I don't understand this:  If Spark within 3m to 20m, you need to enable "RTH at current Altitude", or else it will land immediately at where it is hovering.  Can you re explain.
Thanks.

p.s. Is there a way to get an email when someone posts a new post on these threads? I can't find that option. lol.
2017-6-29
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

There are two HP modes.
At the actual aircraft position or at the actual smartphone position.

You must enable "rth at current altitude" in options or the spark will land within 3-20m distance from the HP when rth is triggered.
Take a look at the manual page 14 for more details about rth.
2017-6-29
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Thank you!
Do you folks get a notification that someone has replied to this thread?  Or do you just check it periodically?  Sorry... newbie here ;)
2017-6-29
Use props
agipaok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6969 ft
Greece

Had the same question but now i start to understand that...! So the RTH start working if you fly spark away from 20 m ??? am i get it right ?
2017-6-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

agipaok Posted at 2017-6-29 12:53
Had the same question but now i start to understand that...! So the RTH start working if you fly spark away from 20 m ??? am i get it right ?

It will also work within 20 meters but you have to enable in your app.
2017-6-29
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

agipaok Posted at 2017-6-29 12:53

yes , but as Dirk52 was mentioning the Manual page 14 , read it 3-4 times as we and you will be good.  And  am not making fun of You . There is so much information in few sentence that you need to re reed this
2017-6-29
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

GIdoc Posted at 2017-6-29 12:39
Do you folks get a notification that someone has replied to this thread?  Or do you just check it periodically?  Sorry... newbie here ;)

You will get a notification when you log in if someone hits the reply to your post such as I have her.  Otherwise you just have to check periodically.  
2017-6-29
Use props
Wednesday
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Talking about "return home", really make sure to "use return home" when you are on "high" altitude and not near trees. I was playing with my SPARK today and flying near my neighbor, did a "stupid" return home, and the drone started kicking trees near by and almost hit my car and my neighbors's car. I was kind "I am ^%^%**". Thanks to the Gods of drones, SPARK was fine like a champion. But was a very scary moment, or 1 minute ^*&()( moment.
2017-6-29
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

With regards to notifications. Wish they emailed you when a new comment was written. Or have that option to turn on.
2017-6-29
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

Wednesday Posted at 2017-6-29 13:33
Talking about "return home", really make sure to "use return home" when you are on "high" altitude and not near trees. I was playing with my SPARK today and flying near my neighbor, did a "stupid" return home, and the drone started kicking trees near by and almost hit my car and my neighbors's car. I was kind "I am ^%^%**". Thanks to the Gods of drones, SPARK was fine like a champion. But was a very scary moment, or 1 minute ^*&()( moment.

And that's why you need to read the manual carefully . And understand How RTH works .
It WILL NOT hit any thing if you set the Correct altitude ( in RTH the craft go straight UP to an altitude and go straight down at home point)  
Or/And if the Spark is in range of 2-20 meters from homepoint  , in default it will land where it is on RTH
Or/And you did turn on return on same altitude , that changes the behavior of the spark in range 2-20 on RTH

So don't state some "tips" because you don't have a clue how this thing works.  Just read the manual and all will be fine.
2017-6-29
Use props
agipaok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6969 ft
Greece

Szwedu Posted at 2017-6-29 13:13
yes , but as Dirk52 was mentioning the Manual page 14 , read it 3-4 times as we and you will be good.  And  am not making fun of You . There is so much information in few sentence that you need to re reed this

Thanks i will do tha !
2017-6-29
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

I've read page 14....  several times. But being totally and completely new to drones some of this is not intuitive  even with reading the manual . Thanks for all your help everyone
2017-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-6-30 06:02
I've read page 14....  several times. But being totally and completely new to drones some of this is not intuitive  even with reading the manual . Thanks for all your help everyone

It's actually pretty simple.

In your app just set RTH to i.e. 40 meters this will then be your RTH height only needs changing if obstacles in your surroundings are higher.

Set enable RTH within 20 meters in your app , your spark will RTH at its present height if you are within 3 to 20 meters.
2017-6-30
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Why is obstacle avoidance is disabled on RTH when unit is more than 100m away? Just curious.
2017-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-6-30 06:44
Why is obstacle avoidance is disabled on RTH when unit is more than 100m away? Just curious.

Outside 100meters aircraft RTH speed is 10 M/S 36kph, so travelling to fast to see obstacles.
2017-6-30
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Thanks.  I wonder if OA will turn on when flies within 100M (i.e. at 200M it is off... at 90M on its way home OA turns on as it continues to RTH)... ?
2017-6-30
Use props
DJI User44
lvl.1
Germany

Sorry for the question, but where in the App can i see my exact set homepoint? Thanks already
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI User44 Posted at 2017-6-30 08:58
Sorry for the question, but where in the App can i see my exact set homepoint? Thanks already

I strongly suggest that you read pages 14-15:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+V1.2.pdf
2017-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-6-30 08:22
Thanks.  I wonder if OA will turn on when flies within 100M (i.e. at 200M it is off... at 90M on its way home OA turns on as it continues to RTH)... ?

No it won't it will fly 10M/S until it's over homepoint then land, so it's important that you set proper RTH when flying outside 100 meters.
The reason for this is Spark only has short battery life so speed is important to get home.
2017-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI User44 Posted at 2017-6-30 08:58

When you start your aircraft go into app .... dots at top right hand corner click on then go to first icon that's were you will find your settings for RTH.

When you have started your Aircraft bottom left hand corner you will see map, your aircraft is small red triangle , blue flashing dot is homepoint, you've heard her say check it on the map, well that's your map.
2017-6-30
Use props
yannifly
lvl.1
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-30 09:24
When you start your aircraft go into app .... dots at top right hand corner click on then go to first icon that's were you will find your settings for RTH.

When you have started your Aircraft bottom left hand corner you will see map, your aircraft is small red triangle , blue flashing dot is homepoint, you've heard her say check it on the map, well that's your map.

Thanks for the answer, couldnt find a solution in the manual.

I can see the map like for a split second when i start the app, but it immediately disappears. Is there any button to toggle the map?

Thanks for the reply
2017-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

yannifly Posted at 2017-6-30 11:09
Thanks for the answer, couldnt find a solution in the manual.

I can see the map like for a split second when i start the app, but it immediately disappears. Is there any button to toggle the map?

You should be able to press on it to make it full screen, there also should be a radar with the map which is very important if you loose sight of your aircraft.

It maybe your phone but my map is always bottom left.
2017-6-30
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-30 11:10
You should be able to press on it to make it full screen, there also should be a radar with the map which is very important if you loose sight of your aircraft.

It maybe your phone but my map is always bottom left.

NOW , there is NO map/Radar if you are not connected with RC ..
2017-7-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

See DJI Tch response about this issue below:
Maps.JPG
2017-7-4
Use props
Fant0mas
lvl.2

Canada

GIdoc Posted at 2017-6-30 06:02

Here's the real deal:

RTH Triggered
------------------

< 3m -> Land

> 3m but < 20m with "RTH at Current Altitude" option:
   - Disabled(default) -> Land
   - Enabled  -> Raise at 2.5m (if needed), then RTH

> 20m
   Height < Failsafe Altitude -> Raise at Failsafe Altitude then RTH
   Height > Failsafe Altitude -> RTH

Careful if > 100m, Obstacle Avoidance is disabled.

That should make things a little clearer :-)
2017-7-18
Use props
fans721ddbf9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195820 ft
France

Thanks Fantomas, it is much more clear now.
I have a question about precision landing, is there any notification in the app that it has be enabled at the beginning of a flight session or for sure it will be activate after 5-10 seconds of hovering at 5-10 meters ?
2017-7-23
Use props
djiuser_88rmwik
New
United States

Thanks for this thread!  Today I did an RTH when I could not see my Spark.  I was watching the map, my son was watching the video as it came down on the top of a tree. Kept saying "you see the tree, right?" (wise guy millennial shouldn't be living at home to witness my stupidity).   It hit the tree and fell at least 50 feet.  But it was kind of like in Avatar where they fall from leaf to leaf.  It landed on a pile of dead leaves. Not a scratch!  The battery did fall out.  Big time lucky!   I am a new drone user and really have an issue with the flight time.  I'm sure once I get some experience my flights will be more productive.  Was thinking of returning the Spark for a Mavic (I'm into photography)  but probably will the Spark and get something better for photography next year.

I do have a tip for you experts!   If you have any friends buying a Spark, if they are colorblind,  tell them not to go for the red!  In my life (aside from annoyance) color blindness has only been a disability when working with resistors (they are color coded).  When my spark is in front of a tree, I can't see it.  I probably should get some yellow stickers or (carefully) spray paint some part of the drone.
2017-7-30
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

fans721ddbf9 Posted at 2017-7-23 12:52
Thanks Fantomas, it is much more clear now.
I have a question about precision landing, is there any notification in the app that it has be enabled at the beginning of a flight session or for sure it will be activate after 5-10 seconds of hovering at 5-10 meters ?

i will like to know too .
2017-7-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I didnt get any notification for precision landing it does work though I let it hover 23 ft so it can record the ground underneath it you need something that it can recognize like a landing pad I launched off of a picnic table once and also a landing pad worked flawlessly I just brought it up let it her for like five to 10 seconds at 23-ft and then go on my way I didn't get any notification on the app Landing though my Phantom 4 Pro gives me a notification
2017-7-31
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Personally I consider RTH to be an emergency function which kicks in if signal is lost, battery is too low or if the operator gets confused and can t find the drone to bring it home.  I understand the need or desire to test it but I don't get why you d want to relinquish control of the drone to some automated program in normal conditions. Especially when flying around obstacles.
2017-7-31
Use props
fans427e5cb5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Can anyone confirm:
1) RTH at current altitude
2) Return-to-home altitude
are actually separate things. 1) controls how the spark behaves when it’s between 3-20meters. 2) controls how the spark behaves >20meters. Is that right?

2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_QZolncaGOsC0
New

Australia

My drone landed by itself after I selected return to home - every time I have used it previously it has had no issue. Despite the home point being updated the drone did not return. It staying in the same place until the battery eventually died and it landed itself in water. I have dji after care (still valid) and DJI is refusing to honour it. Can someone please help..
2019-5-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_QZolncaGOsC0 Posted at 5-24 05:53
My drone landed by itself after I selected return to home - every time I have used it previously it has had no issue. Despite the home point being updated the drone did not return. It staying in the same place until the battery eventually died and it landed itself in water. I have dji after care (still valid) and DJI is refusing to honour it. Can someone please help..

Hi,

if you want some help, best is to upload your flightlog of this flight.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2019-5-27
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

djiuser_QZolncaGOsC0 Posted at 5-24 05:53

If the drone is less than 20 meters away, "Return to home" behavior is just to land. As you've noticed the results can be frightful if you're near water. Hope it didn't get hurt.
2019-5-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules