Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad mini 4 - Wifi vs. Cellular - Follow Me and RTH?
2008 11 2017-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirPhoto1.com
Captain
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

I bought an iPad mini 4 earlier this week to use connected to my Remote Controller.   I thought I'd save a little money and get the WiFi ONLY version - but now that I've read a little more on DJI Spark Forums here and on other support groups on Facebook - it sounds like if you want to use the "follow me" features, you'd really want the Cellular version, so that it could follow and land at the iPad/RC location, rather than at the take off point.

Can anyone offer advice or enlighten me on whether that is true - and that having the Cellular version of the iPad will give you an advantage when trying to get the Spark to follow, and also land - where the iPad/Remote Controller are positioned?

I need to make a decision about whether to return the WiFi only version, and trade it for the Cellular version, and spend the extra $130.00 to do that?  Of course, there is a time limit to return the WiFi Only model, and trade for the Cellular version - so any quick answers would be appreciated.  Thanks for any suggestions.

I do like the larger screen, and will be using a direct cable connect to the Remote Controller using the OTG Cable - hopefully gaining some better connection and reliability.
2017-6-29
Use props
TekSone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, 4 days and not one response. I will take the time to do so. I only use cellular enabled with my Mavic. iPad mini 4 (128GB) or my old iPhone 6 (64GB), neither have cellular service. I just want to have all of my features available. I go by the motto "Better to have (features) and not want than to want (features) and not have".
2017-7-3
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Captain
United States

TekSone Posted at 2017-7-3 13:52
Wow, 4 days and not one response. I will take the time to do so. I only use cellular enabled with my Mavic. iPad mini 4 (128GB) or my old iPhone 6 (64GB), neither have cellular service. I just want to have all of my features available. I go by the motto "Better to have (features) and not want than to want (features) and not have".

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate the advice - and wish you Happy Flying!
2017-7-3
Use props
fans553e04e2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16998 ft
United States

wifi only iPad does not have a GPS receiver.  Cellular version does but you don't have to activate the cellular to use.
2017-7-3
Use props
SS2FTE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16998 ft
United States

wifi only iPad does not have a GPS receiver.  Cellular version does but you don't have to activate the cellular to use.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dragonfly47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9465 ft
United States

I also bought the wifi only Mini 4. But i also bought an outboard GPS receiver, the Garmin Glo. I found that was cheaper than buying the cellular model of the iPad  and future proof since I can use the Glo with any future devices.
2017-7-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfly47 Posted at 2017-7-4 04:47
I also bought the wifi only Mini 4. But i also bought an outboard GPS receiver, the Garmin Glo. I found that was cheaper than buying the cellular model of the iPad  and future proof since I can use the Glo with any future devices.

That's a very common combination.  A lot of guys that fly other DJI platforms also use that Garmin device in conjunction with their iPads.
2017-7-4
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You might encounter the iPad mini 4 performance problem. I run Dji Go 4 on iPhone 6 Plus and I got device reach max load while I do Quickshot Circle and even just simple video recording. iPad air 2 mighr be better.
2017-7-4
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Captain
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-4 05:22
That's a very common combination.  A lot of guys that fly other DJI platforms also use that Garmin device in conjunction with their iPads.

Interested in Garmin Glo - can you tell me how  you connect it when using iPad and Remote Controller while flying Spark?
2017-7-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-7-4 12:23
Interested in Garmin Glo - can you tell me how  you connect it when using iPad and Remote Controller while flying Spark?

It connects via Bluetooth which may present an issue because DJI is stating that Bluetooth should be turned off on all devices.
2017-7-4
Use props
MccloudSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Hi all - I'm about to buy an Ipad mini 4.  Is 16gb large enough or is more memory needed?
2018-12-19
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Captain
United States

MccloudSpark Posted at 12-19 17:33
Hi all - I'm about to buy an Ipad mini 4.  Is 16gb large enough or is more memory needed?

I wish I could answer your question, but at least wanted to offer a reply.  Being of the "more memory is better" crowd, I bought the 256gb model.  As far as cellular or not - I have the cellular on my iPad mini - and have never encountered any issues with it.  But my friend also has a Spark, and bought a standard iPad 9.7" screen without the cellular, and bought an aftermarket mount to hold it - and he's never had any issues with it either.  I haven't used the "follow me" feature - so I probably would have been just as happy without the extra charge for the cellular upgrade to the iPad.  Just my experience.  Happy Flying!  Spark is amazing!
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules