123Next >
12551 95 2017-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

UPDATE: My problem turned out to be corrupted DNG, still don't know why the Mavic suddenly started corrupting DNG, seems to have been only coincidental to the upgrade of Go 4. In the course of investigation I found a solution both to the corrupted file issue (downgrading and reupgrading firmware) and the MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 OS level RAW support issues (manual reversion to Raw Camera Support 7.02). See original post and thread for more details or jump to the summary post.

Shooting Go 4.1.2 and .0800 firmware I was able to shoot RAW files and open them in Lightroom and Photoshop. MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 Finder and Quick Look previews and Preview itself no longer worked, displaying black, but at least I could edit my shots.

Tonight I updated to Go 4.1.3 and RAW files no longer open in Photoshop or are editable in Lightroom, nor successfully converted by Adobe DNG converter, see attached error messages. Reinstalling the app did not fix the problem. I'm currently upgrading to .0900 to see if there's some weird interdependency going on and will report back after that's done. Otherwise I guess I'll have to downgrade to .0700, which is known to work.

killmenow2.png

killmenow.png
killme3.png

2017-6-29
Use props
fans645cf23f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288934 ft
United States

I'm having problems viewing DNG files on my Mac, too. Here are the details from a ticket I started with DJI:
Message: With both v1.03.0800 and 1.03.0900 the DNG RAW files are not working properly on my iMac running macOS V10.12.5. They are not editable in the Photos application but they are editable in the standalone Luminar application. They also don't show the image in the Finder - just a black box. In previous versions of the Mavic firmware, I was able to edit the DNG files in the Photos application without a problem. Also in a previous version of the macOS V10.12.3 they are editable in the Photos application on my MacBook Air. How can this be resolved? Thanks.

DJI had me reinstall the latest firmware using the Assistant app but it didn't help.
2017-6-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fans645cf23f Posted at 2017-6-29 19:15
I'm having problems viewing DNG files on my Mac, too. Here are the details from a ticket I started with DJI:
Message: With both v1.03.0800 and 1.03.0900 the DNG RAW files are not working properly on my iMac running macOS V10.12.5. They are not editable in the Photos application but they are editable in the standalone Luminar application. They also don't show the image in the Finder - just a black box. In previous versions of the Mavic firmware, I was able to edit the DNG files in the Photos application without a problem. Also in a previous version of the macOS V10.12.3 they are editable in the Photos application on my MacBook Air. How can this be resolved? Thanks.

Updating to .0900 did nothing. Too late to get into it now, but I guess I'll be downgrading to .0700. Bug reported.
2017-6-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Has DJI responded after telling them that reinstalling didn't work for you? Others have reverted to .0700, which seems to work properly. .0800 worked fine for me until I upgraded to Go 4.1.3. So weird.
2017-6-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Wait, are you saying that the DNG files open fine for you on your MacBook Air?
2017-6-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Welp, I guess I can't downgrade to .0700, as DJI Assistant 2 seems to only allow downgrading one version back. Angst.
2017-7-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ok, so I refreshed .0900. No go. Downgraded to .0800. No go. Upgraded back to .0900. Now the DNG open in Lightroom, though the other issues remain.

So I guess if you are having problems, downgrade and then upgrade back to .0900?

Gotta say this is not inspiring a whole lot of confidence as I can only assume that the problem was unrelated to the version of DJI Go 4 I was using, based on the fact that many other Mac users are reporting this problem, and so could happen again at any time. Changing the name of this thread for accuracy.
2017-7-1
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

I told them reinstalling didn't do anything. This is DJ's next suggestion:

"If it doesn't work after troubleshooting, if you don't mind, please try to download and install this https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1 ... US&locale=en_US to fix the issue."

I haven't tried it yet due to travel, but it's an old Apple Extension adding RAW support to several cameras. They might be on the right path though because an earlier version of Mac OS running on my laptop doesn't have this problem.

Steve
2017-7-1
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

DJI software updates are too fast, untested and quite frankly, rubbish.  It's beyond a joke.
2017-7-1
Use props
Pitando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68284 ft
Réunion

Tex21 Posted at 2017-7-1 20:17
DJI software updates are too fast, untested and quite frankly, rubbish.  It's beyond a joke.

They need to be fast now because the upgrades they are sending out are a joke....
2017-7-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Steve Medwin Posted at 2017-7-1 20:03
I told them reinstalling didn't do anything. This is DJ's next suggestion:

"If it doesn't work after troubleshooting, if you don't mind, please try to download and install this https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1838?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US to fix the issue."

Huh? That makes no sense to me. Maybe they meant to send you the link to the latest RAW support update. Still, none of that addresses why DNG created by .0700 and earlier work fine.
2017-7-1
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Here's my next email to DJI:

I downloaded the Apple file and when I went to install it, I got the following message:
"A newer version of Digital Camera RAW support is already installed on your system.”
So now I’m not sure what to do next.

Any thoughts on what to try now?

2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Steve Medwin Posted at 2017-7-2 06:23
Here's my next email to DJI:

I downloaded the Apple file and when I went to install it, I got the following message:

New info: DNG from .0900 (after reverting and reinstalling) work fine on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, both in Finder Quick Look, previews and Preview. So the issue appears much more complex than I originally thought. I'm a bit hesitant to roll-back to the previous MacOS dot release to see if the issue is, indeed, caused by Apple's last RAW camera support update, but maybe that's what I need to do. Hmm...

So Steve, you're saying that 10.12.4 is working for you in the Finder, Preview, and Photos on your Air? Or is is 10.12.3?

2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Bah. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to revert RAW support from 10.12.5 besides reverting to an earlier state using Time Machine, which I am reluctant to do. As 10.12.6 is apparently imminent, I think I'll wait a bit to see if that takes care of the problem.

2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ok, I've confirmed that the version of Raw Camera Support included in Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 conflicts with RAW photos taken with Mavic firmware .0800/.0900. Manually replacing the version of Raw Camera Support v7.03 with v7.02 allows the Finder to properly preview DNG and Preview to open DNG -- no more black windows.

So, to summarize this thread, if you are shooting RAW on Mavic firmware .0800 or .0900 and are running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 and:

• Lightroom or Photoshop complain about unsupported or damaged DNG, the files are corrupt due to a problem with your Mavic firmware. The fix for me was to downgrade and then upgrade again to the latest firmware using DJI Assistant 2. Refreshing didn't help me but it might help you.

-- or --

• Lightroom/Photoshop open and edit the DNG, but Photos, Preview, and Finder Quick Look and previews do not work, your DNG are ok but for as yet undetermined reasons don't play well with the latest version of Apple's Raw Camera system level Support. The fix for me was to manually replace the Raw Camera Support bundles v7.03 with v7.02. There is no officially sanctioned way to revert except via a system backup solution like Time Machine, but if you're comfortable with Terminal tweaks, it can be done.
  • UPDATE: Alex55 discovered a workaround for non-corrupt DNG that doesn't require Terminal tweaks, but relies on enabling Adobe DNG Converter's Lossy Compression option.
  • UPDATE 09.05.2017: DNG in the latest public beta of MacOS High Sierra preview in the Finder and open in Preview and Photos without issue. If you were looking for a reason to upgrade, this might be it.

Hopefully DJI will figure out why DNG are being corrupted for some users and fix that in a future firmware release, and I'm equally hopeful DJI will work with Apple to figure out why their latest codebases don't play nice.

2017-7-2
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

IMO - They're too busy trying to "fix" their coding problems in DJI Assist - the ones that are setting the interwebs on fire!

Just My Opinion.
2017-7-2
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

I'm mainly posting to subscribe to this thread, as I have the same issue and am interested to hear how others are dealing with it.  My version of DJI Assist lets me role back several versions of the firmware, going back to .0700 was no issue for me.
2017-7-3
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-2 15:45
Ok, I've confirmed that the version of Raw Camera Support included in Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 conflicts with RAW photos taken with Mavic firmware .0800/.0900. Manually replacing the version of Raw Camera Support v7.03 with v7.02 allows the Finder to properly preview DNG and Preview to open DNG -- no more black windows.

So, to summarize this thread, if you are shooting RAW on Mavic firmware .0800 or .0900 and are running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 and:

So your solution was to use the earlier version of Raw Camera Support? That would explain why Sierra 10.12.3 works on my laptop. I seem to be stuck with DJI support so I'm willing to revert the Raw Camera Support bundle. Could you point me in a direction for doing this?
2017-7-4
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Here's where my ticket with DJI ended up:

DJI
"Regretfully, there are no future developments to enhance this option at the moment. What we can do is collect all related feedback on relating to this concern and forwards them to our Developers as Customer Suggestion to further review as a case possibility for the next firmware update/product enhancement.

Though we are unable to provide you an exact resolution time, we appreciate your suggestions that will help us improve our products. We urge you to constantly visit our link - www.dji.com for the latest updates on our technology and products."

Me
"Thank you for your reply. However I'm very disappointed as this is not a new feature but something that worked previously in an earlier version. I hope you refer this issue to the product support staff as it is a bug in the latest version. There are other folks on the DJI forum that are having this issue, too."

DJI
"Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I have already forwarded your concern but I cannot promise anything, I would suggest to please visit our website for further firmware updates that will fix this issue.
Thanks for your patience and time."

I'm ready to try using the earlier version of the Raw Camera Support file, if I can navigate my way there....
2017-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Steve Medwin Posted at 2017-7-4 16:17
So your solution was to use the earlier version of Raw Camera Support? That would explain why Sierra 10.12.3 works on my laptop. I seem to be stuck with DJI support so I'm willing to revert the Raw Camera Support bundle. Could you point me in a direction for doing this?

My solution to the corrupted file issue was to downgrade and then re-upgrade the firmware. I don't have a fix for correcting already corrupt files.

As for opening DNG in Photos, Preview, and having them work properly in Finder previews and Quick Look, yeah, I retrieved the previous version of both RawCamera.bundle
and RawCameraSupport.bundle from a Time Machine backup, turned off SIP, and replaced the newer versions in /System/Library/CoreServices and restarted. Don't forget to turn back on SIP afterwards, and good luck!
2017-7-4
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-2 09:29
New info: DNG from .0900 (after reverting and reinstalling) work fine on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, both in Finder Quick Look, previews and Preview. So the issue appears much more complex than I originally thought. I'm a bit hesitant to roll-back to the previous MacOS dot release to see if the issue is, indeed, caused by Apple's last RAW camera support update, but maybe that's what I need to do. Hmm...

So Steve, you're saying that 10.12.4 is working for you in the Finder, Preview, and Photos on your Air? Or is is 10.12.3?

Just saw this post: 10.15.03 works but not 10.15..05.
2017-7-4
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-4 16:36
My solution to the corrupted file issue was to downgrade and then re-upgrade the firmware. I don't have a fix for correcting already corrupt files.

As for opening DNG in Photos, Preview, and having them work properly in Finder previews and Quick Look, yeah, I retrieved the previous version of both RawCamera.bundle

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
2017-7-4
Use props
fansd0be9b70
lvl.1
United States

Interesting. I reverted Apple's RAW Camera bundles to 7.02 and now my .900 firmware DNG files display correctly in Finder and Preview. I have been using .0550 firmware on my Mavic to get DNG files that display correctly previously. Thanks for the tip.

Related, I am seeing several dead (green) pixels in Preview now on all my Mavic DNG files. They don't show up in Lightroom, but now I'm curious if they had been showing up on 7.03 on my Mavic DNGs that did display correctly.
2017-7-5
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
United States

Success! I took the Raw Camera bundles (v7.01) from my laptop running Sierra 10.12.3 and put them in my iMac running Sierra 10.12.5. I disabled SIP (instructions here: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-t ... -protection-on-mac/), moved the files and then enabled it again. Now the Finder shows the DNG images as does Photos.

Thank you so much for your help!

Now if I was DJI, I would think this is an Apple issue, especially since there isn't a problem on Windows machines. How do we make sure that Apple hears about this?

Steve
2017-7-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fansd0be9b70 Posted at 2017-7-5 11:09
Interesting. I reverted Apple's RAW Camera bundles to 7.02 and now my .900 firmware DNG files display correctly in Finder and Preview. I have been using .0550 firmware on my Mavic to get DNG files that display correctly previously. Thanks for the tip.

Related, I am seeing several dead (green) pixels in Preview now on all my Mavic DNG files. They don't show up in Lightroom, but now I'm curious if they had been showing up on 7.03 on my Mavic DNGs that did display correctly.

Yes, I seem them in Preview, too, in very low light photos, AKA "hot pixels" -- same file looks fine in Lightroom -- I suspect they've been there all along but I've never noticed since I work in Lightroom. DJI has a tool for removing hot pixels for when your image viewer doesn't automatically do it.
2017-7-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Steve Medwin Posted at 2017-7-5 15:37
Success! I took the Raw Camera bundles (v7.01) from my laptop running Sierra 10.12.3 and put them in my iMac running Sierra 10.12.5. I disabled SIP (instructions here: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-disable-system-integrity-protection-on-mac/), moved the files and then enabled it again. Now the Finder shows the DNG images as does Photos.

Thank you so much for your help!

Glad to hear you got it working. I'm not sure how you submit bugs to Apple these days when you don't have a developer account, but I think it's not entirely Apple's fault because DNG from .0700 and earlier work fine on Camera Raw 7.03 -- so it's something that changed both in Apple's support and DJI's DNG output.

If we're lucky, DJI's developers have figured this out and have been in contact with Apple.
2017-7-5
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ex Machina,

I started having issues today with corrupt DNG files. I have been shooting with the new firmware and app versions and hadn't have any issues. I started today's flight with a video, then I wanted to take some photos. Since it was at night I had to use the manual focus. Something weird was going on because I couldn't focus even on manual mode. The virtual scroll wheel was way shorter than usual. I brought it back down and restarted it and the focusing problem was gone, but all the pics after that moment are now corrupt. I have two photos, a blurry but  good one from a few minutes before I restarted the Mavic and a corrupt one from a couple of minutes after. Can you take a look to see if you can spot a difference between them? Thanks!
Link to sample files
2017-7-6
Use props
Gary Katz
New
Flight distance : 595364 ft
Israel

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-6 22:04
Hi Ex Machina,

I started having issues today with corrupt DNG files. I have been shooting with the new firmware and app versions and hadn't have any issues. I started today's flight with a video, then I wanted to take some photos. Since it was at night I had to use the manual focus. Something weird was going on because I couldn't focus even on manual mode. The virtual scroll wheel was way shorter than usual. I brought it back down and restarted it and the focusing problem was gone, but all the pics after that moment are now corrupt. I have two photos, a blurry but  good one from a few minutes before I restarted the Mavic and a corrupt one from a couple of minutes after. Can you take a look to see if you can spot a difference between them? Thanks!

and if i have the issue with windows 10 and with my mobile cant open the DNG they are correpted
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-6 22:04
Hi Ex Machina,

There's no difference in the meta data between your two files except for expected time stamps, naming and gps coords.
2017-7-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The funny thing is that I can see the thumbnails and previews on my machine just fine. Its only when i try editing the files on LR or PS that I get an error.
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-7 09:36
The funny thing is that I can see the thumbnails and previews on my machine just fine. Its only when i try editing the files on LR or PS that I get an error.

That's because DNG contain a readable JPG preview.
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Gary Katz Posted at 2017-7-7 06:47
and if i have the issue with windows 10 and with my mobile cant open the DNG they are correpted

Try the fix that worked for me, downgrading and then re-upgrading firmware. Good luck!
2017-7-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So going by what I experienced last night, re-upgrading the firmware will fix the issue for a while until it starts doing it again. Mine was already upgraded and didn't have the issue. It started having problems after a power cycle of the aircraft.
2017-7-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok, just got home and took a few more test shots with the Mavic. They are all fine now. This is BS because now I wont know when my shots will be damaged or good. WTH is going here!!!!
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-7 15:08
Ok, just got home and took a few more test shots with the Mavic. They are all fine now. This is BS because now I wont know when my shots will be damaged or good. WTH is going here!!!!

Yes, it's worrisome, Hopefully the next firmware update will address both corruption and DNG compatibility issues. If I Could downgrade to .0700 before corruption and compatibility issues presented, I certainly would.
2017-7-7
Use props
fans2a836882
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

I have the same issue here: ie png cannot previewed, ever since the 800 (and now 900, upgrade.

What interesting is that the pngs, which used to be able to open in PS, now cannot be opened, when nothing has been changed.

What is more interesting is that those png taken in the first battery are working, whilst they don't on the second battery. The change of battery only taken 4 minutes, so the timestamps between last working png and the first non working png were only 4 minutes apart.

I have tried opened in windows 10 PS which was not working either. I have also downgraded and upgraded (900->800->900) last weekend, however the "parse error" problem happened spontaneously after a set of "good" files..

I will look into the png and compare them tonight.
Jack
2017-7-10
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fans2a836882 Posted at 2017-7-10 07:40
I have the same issue here: ie png cannot previewed, ever since the 800 (and now 900, upgrade.

What interesting is that the pngs, which used to be able to open in PS, now cannot be opened, when nothing has been changed.

Wonder if the two batteries have different firmware versions? Might just be a coincidence, though.
2017-7-10
Use props
JCheng
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks ExMachna,

I feel the same way too that It is very unlikely to be the fault of the battery, as it is unlikely for the MC firmware make enquiry with the battery firmware, and then make changes to the way the dng files are recorded.

In any events, I have tried to check the firmware of the 2 batteries,  the DJI Go 4 did not report any mismatch between battery 1 and 2, and the battery did not flash as if the firmware of the battery was upgrading.. Having said that there is no way that I can verify the exact firmware of the battery.

Downgrade and upgrade again? I do not know, as this problem was first apparent after that procedure a few days ago (tried to fix other problem by trying to downgrade back to 700 fw, and dji not allowed)...

Next thing is that I may try to download the dng file remote via dji go apps and see if it work.

Cheers,Jack
2017-7-11
Use props
JCheng
lvl.3
Australia

Ultimately I have a gut feeling that it is because of the buggy 800 and 900 firmware.

Now the problem cannot be reproduced. All the file taken today on both battery works.

I went back to the dng files I took yesterday, the first half works and the second half not work as before.

However I am able to open those previous. non working files with PC software not relying on adobe.

I note that Ex Machina donwgraded the firmware and upgrade it again and it seem to work, however mine situation was the opposite: it worked last week, downgrade from 900-> 800 -> 900 over weekend and on Monday dng cannot open is PS. So I am thinking that downgrade and then upgrade is not the reason that the file can be opened again, and it should not unless firmware upgrade/downgrade is segmental and the segment got rewritten varies between mavic, otherwise I dont see why downgrade and upgrade world make a different (please correct me if I am wrong here).

So, I have a feeling that it is related to the buggy mavic 800 900 firmwares and Adobe Camera raw, which in some unique situations they are just not compatible.

I may need to wait for the next mavic firmware upgrade, or adobe camera raw upgrade, unless there is a way to roll back to 700 now.

Regards,
2017-7-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

JCheng Posted at 2017-7-11 03:19
Ultimately I have a gut feeling that it is because of the buggy 800 and 900 firmware.

Now the problem cannot be reproduced. All the file taken today on both battery works.

I have no direct knowledge of how Mavic firmware is written, just know that refreshing/downgrading/upgrading/etc. is a common solution for a variety of weird problems, and the first thing DJI support often recommends.

It's the same with computers -- when things go weird and stay weird even after reboots, reinstall the OS.

BTW, are you sure you are looking at the RAW data for those files you were able to open on your PC using non-Adobe apps? You might just be looking at the embedded preview jpg.
2017-7-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules