12591 95 2017-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JCheng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-11 06:44
I have no direct knowledge of how Mavic firmware is written, just know that refreshing/downgrading/upgrading/etc. is a common solution for a variety of weird problems, and the first thing DJI support often recommends.

It's the same with computers -- when things go weird and stay weird even after reboots, reinstall the OS.

I can open up the full resolution with ACDsee on my PC, and save it as PSD format.

I have just tried ACDsee for Mac, which it did not work. It only show up low res thumb nail, and can only save in all black.

I am not sure about the how the mavic flash it's firmware either, however I understand your computer reset/reformat analogy .

BTW I am sure we are not the only few who is affect by the problem, I am surprise why it seem not many ppl complaint about it (here at least). Any news from DJI?

Cheers
Jack

2017-7-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

JCheng Posted at 2017-7-11 07:44
I can open up the full resolution with ACDsee on my PC, and save it as PSD format.

I have just tried ACDsee for Mac, which it did not work. It only show up low res thumb nail, and can only save in all black.

Interesting that ACDsee PC can open them, assume the Mac version leverages the MacOS RAW file support -- are you on 10.12.5?

I submitted a couple bugs but not as support cases, so I assume I'll never hear back. Maybe a few others on this thread have heard something?
2017-7-11
Use props
JCheng
lvl.3
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-11 07:55
Interesting that ACDsee PC can open them, assume the Mac version leverages the MacOS RAW file support -- are you on 10.12.5?

I submitted a couple bugs but not as support cases, so I assume I'll never hear back. Maybe a few others on this thread have heard something?

I have also tried FastRawViewer for Mac, and it works and can see the full res.

I believe it will also work for Picasa for Mac.

If thats the case the bug seem to be more rely on Adobe Camera Raw rather then DJI? but then I do not know why Apple Preview not able to parse the file then..
2017-7-11
Use props
KosteX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210079 ft
Netherlands

Thankfully a friend was lazy enough to be on 10.12.3 so I could get his libs and sure enough I've got my previews back!
But I would like to know where to direct my 'bug-report'.. Is it Apple or DJI?
2017-7-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

KosteX Posted at 2017-7-13 05:05
Thankfully a friend was lazy enough to be on 10.12.3 so I could get his libs and sure enough I've got my previews back!
But I would like to know where to direct my 'bug-report'.. Is it Apple or DJI?

Hard to say -- the corruption issue may be related and is also being reported by Windows users.
2017-7-13
Use props
LtCarter47
lvl.1
United States

Just throwing my name in here as well to report I'm having the issue.  I damn near bought a new app to replace Aperture because I thought surely it must be that old program just doesn't work anymore, but very glad to see that it seems to be something else.

To share what I have gone through so far, I sent my Mavic into DJI a couple weeks ago.  The turned it around astonishingly quickly.  I got the received, assessed, quotation (free), repair completed and shipped notifications all within 24 hours of each other.  When I got it back, it looks like they replaced it because my little FAA ID label was gone.  I will check the serial # when I get home but I am sure it is different.  Anyway, fired it up, firmware update needed so did that.  Immediately took some photos and I still have the same issue.  Very frustrating as I use my Mavic for photography far more than video.
2017-7-16
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

LtCarter47 Posted at 2017-7-16 09:57
Just throwing my name in here as well to report I'm having the issue.  I damn near bought a new app to replace Aperture because I thought surely it must be that old program just doesn't work anymore, but very glad to see that it seems to be something else.

To share what I have gone through so far, I sent my Mavic into DJI a couple weeks ago.  The turned it around astonishingly quickly.  I got the received, assessed, quotation (free), repair completed and shipped notifications all within 24 hours of each other.  When I got it back, it looks like they replaced it because my little FAA ID label was gone.  I will check the serial # when I get home but I am sure it is different.  Anyway, fired it up, firmware update needed so did that.  Immediately took some photos and I still have the same issue.  Very frustrating as I use my Mavic for photography far more than video.

That's gotta be frustrating, but luckily there are workarounds. Of the two described in this thread, which issue are you experiencing?
2017-7-16
Use props
MGROENNE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176056 ft
Germany

I experienced also corrupted Mavic Pro DNG Files - not able to be opened in Photoshop / Lightroom CC on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5.
Would like to be informed on changes. Down-and-Re-Upgrade not tested yet - does it reliable solve your problem?
2017-7-17
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

MGROENNE Posted at 2017-7-17 06:27
I experienced also corrupted Mavic Pro DNG Files - not able to be opened in Photoshop / Lightroom CC on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5.
Would like to be informed on changes. Down-and-Re-Upgrade not tested yet - does it reliable solve your problem?

So far, so good.
2017-7-17
Use props
LtCarter47
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-16 14:47
That's gotta be frustrating, but luckily there are workarounds. Of the two described in this thread, which issue are you experiencing?

I seem to have the 2nd issue:
Lightroom/Photoshop/ON1 Photo RAW open and edit the DNG, but Aperture, Photos, Preview, and Finder Quick Look and previews do not work
Added additional programs I've been trying to the list in red.

I'll give the worksrounds a shot this week when I find some time and will report back!
2017-7-17
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi Ex. THX for this workaround!
Honestly I'm so sad about these two latest fws (0.800 and 0.900) for the Mavic. The DNG is not the only issue.
Also the wattercolor is back (slightly but still), camera sharpness setting changed again, Flickering effect with 2.7k vids also changed, edges sharpening slightly moved.
Not telling all is worse but the camera settings keep changing so frequently and people are still fighting to find the optimal values themeselves... Frequent changes make most of the YT tutorials useless.
I am on .900 now, wishing very much to go back to .700 (I don't care about the unlock - I am only flying legally of course - I want the .700's  jpeg and mpg compression back ASAP!!!)
Take care.
2017-7-17
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

Willik Posted at 2017-7-17 23:06
Hi Ex. THX for this workaround!
Honestly I'm so sad about these two latest fws (0.800 and 0.900) for the Mavic. The DNG is not the only issue.
Also the wattercolor is back (slightly but still), camera sharpness setting changed again, Flickering effect with 2.7k vids also changed, edges sharpening slightly moved.

I'm so glad I went back to .700, while it was still available.  I'm now very fearful of the next update as there will be no way of going back, if it doesn't work.  Its such a pity I am a compulsive upgrader!
2017-7-17
Use props
Jason65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287697 ft
Spain

Thank you Ex Machina for the workaround. The  downgrade to fw800 then back to fw 900 did not work for me .
The replacing the files in coreservices has. Aperture and preview now working well.
2017-7-18
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Jason65 Posted at 2017-7-18 03:06
Thank you Ex Machina for the workaround. The  downgrade to fw800 then back to fw 900 did not work for me .
The replacing the files in coreservices has. Aperture and preview now working well.

Glad it's working for you, are you still having corrupt DNG -- that's what refreshing or downgrading/upgrading your firmware fixes.

I guess if you could have downgraded to .0700 then that would have also fixed the Aperture/Preview issue as well.
2017-7-18
Use props
LtCarter47
lvl.1
United States

Can anyone share the "good" RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle?  Looks like I don't have an old enough backup with the older versions and both my machines are current.
2017-7-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

LtCarter47 Posted at 2017-7-19 15:18
Can anyone share the "good" RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle?  Looks like I don't have an old enough backup with the older versions and both my machines are current.

PM'd you a link.
2017-7-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

LtCarter47 Posted at 2017-7-19 15:18

If you haven't hacked your system yet, you might want to first try updating to MacOS 10.12.6, out today with a new version of RawCamera support.
2017-7-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-20 09:30
If you haven't hacked your system yet, you might want to first try updating to MacOS 10.12.6, out today with a new version of RawCamera support.

Nope, MacOS 10.12.6 does not fix the problem. ;(
2017-7-20
Use props
Jason65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 287697 ft
Spain

Shame ,Back to Raw 7.02
2017-7-21
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm experiencing this issue now.  I was already using firmware .900 on the Mavic, however, today my DJI GO 4 updated to 4.1.3 and now my .DNG files cannot be opened by Adobe Editor.  No problems with photos taken before update to DJI GO 4.  I'm a Windows 10 user.  This obviously has something more to do with the updated DJI GO 4 app than the .900 firmware which was working well.  I'm so disappointed I can't just use my Mavic Pro like intended without constant issues to the DJI GO 4 software.  I'm very upset I can't depend on using it for quality images when everything was working perfectly before this DJI Go 4 update.  Is it possible to roll that software update back?
2017-7-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-7-21 21:42
I'm experiencing this issue now.  I was already using firmware .900 on the Mavic, however, today my DJI GO 4 updated to 4.1.3 and now my .DNG files cannot be opened by Adobe Editor.  No problems with photos taken before update to DJI GO 4.  I'm a Windows 10 user.  This obviously has something more to do with the updated DJI GO 4 app than the .900 firmware which was working well.  I'm so disappointed I can't just use my Mavic Pro like intended without constant issues to the DJI GO 4 software.  I'm very upset I can't depend on using it for quality images when everything was working perfectly before this DJI Go 4 update.  Is it possible to roll that software update back?

I suspect the problem's appearance with the app is coincidental. You can use DJI Assistant 2 to refresh your firmware, and if that doesn't work you can try downgrading and then re upgrading, which worked for me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
2017-7-22
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-22 05:18
I suspect the problem's appearance with the app is coincidental. You can use DJI Assistant 2 to refresh your firmware, and if that doesn't work you can try downgrading and then re upgrading, which worked for me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I will try your suggestions, however, I shot images last week and the week before with .900 firmware and before that, .800 firmware with no issues.  Yesterday, I got a prompt on my device that a software upgrade was available for the DJI GO 4 app which I upgraded.  The only improvement listed on the Play Store for it was "bug fixes"..... Now,,,, I cannot open .DNG files.  The only thing that changed was the DJI GO 4 app version.  Really doesn't matter to me what the issue is, the fact it exists at all after having almost a year to refine this drone's software and firmware is really a sad commentary on DJI's programmers.
2017-7-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-7-22 07:50
I will try your suggestions, however, I shot images last week and the week before with .900 firmware and before that, .800 firmware with no issues.  Yesterday, I got a prompt on my device that a software upgrade was available for the DJI GO 4 app which I upgraded.  The only improvement listed on the Play Store for it was "bug fixes"..... Now,,,, I cannot open .DNG files.  The only thing that changed was the DJI GO 4 app version.  Really doesn't matter to me what the issue is, the fact it exists at all after having almost a year to refine this drone's software and firmware is really a sad commentary on DJI's programmers.

Ye, I think the last couple of firmware upgrades have been a bit brittle. I suspect our problem is with the introduction of RAW lens profiles intended to address the color shift/vignetting issue, introduced with .0800 and .0900.
2017-7-22
Use props
anguskennedy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1434186 ft
China

Same issue here - dng files broke for me at .800, downgraded to .700 and it was fine, stupppidly just upgraded to .900 assuming they would have fixed it, broken again and no way to roll back to .700 now... devastated. Use the Mavic for work 2-3 times per week - it's a big blow. Trying the downgrade / upgrade now, crossing fingers and commenting to follow and hear about future updates from everyone.
2017-7-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

anguskennedy Posted at 2017-7-24 05:34
Same issue here - dng files broke for me at .800, downgraded to .700 and it was fine, stupppidly just upgraded to .900 assuming they would have fixed it, broken again and no way to roll back to .700 now... devastated. Use the Mavic for work 2-3 times per week - it's a big blow. Trying the downgrade / upgrade now, crossing fingers and commenting to follow and hear about future updates from everyone.

Hope the refreshing or downgrade/reupgrade works for you as it did for me.
2017-7-24
Use props
anguskennedy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-24 16:34
Hope the refreshing or downgrade/reupgrade works for you as it did for me.

No luck doing it through the Assistant 2 app on my windows pc, going to try doing it through the iOS app.... did you have luck with Assistant or a mobile app? Ps I've had multiple contact with DHJI support over this and just seem to get stonewalled, very frustrating. Surely they can just unlock .700 for us till a fix is out, right??
2017-7-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

anguskennedy Posted at 2017-7-24 22:52
No luck doing it through the Assistant 2 app on my windows pc, going to try doing it through the iOS app.... did you have luck with Assistant or a mobile app? Ps I've had multiple contact with DHJI support over this and just seem to get stonewalled, very frustrating. Surely they can just unlock .700 for us till a fix is out, right??

My guess is they don't want to release .0700 because that's the last firmware that can be hacked, but I've read elsewhere on the forum that they have been known to allow it for some users.

In my case, refreshing the in-place firmware didn't do it, but downgrading to .0800 and then reinstalling .0900 did.
2017-7-25
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

This is insanity! I dont want a work around or an upgrade/downgrade solution. I want my $1000 drone to work properly! DJI is absolutely miserable, this thing has been the hardest lesson in never buying Chinese products.
2017-7-25
Use props
anguskennedy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

No luck for me with the downgrade to .800 / re upgrade to .900 I've also had about 5 conversations with DJI support and they wouldn't help me downgrade to .700, they did however say it wasa known issue and was going to be fixed with new firmware in a week.... doesn't help me for my shoots this weekend. So annoyed.
2017-7-25
Use props
sundance87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423848 ft
Switzerland

I'm on fw800 and latest MacOS. I can't open/import Mavic files into Lightroom if aircraft is connected to computer via USB-> preview isn't possible either. If I put the microSD in a card reader everything works just fine
2017-7-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

sundance87 Posted at 2017-7-25 04:00
I'm on fw800 and latest MacOS. I can't open/import Mavic files into Lightroom if aircraft is connected to computer via USB-> preview isn't possible either. If I put the microSD in a card reader everything works just fine

I think if you install DJI Assistant 2 you can mount your Mavic and copy files via USB, do firmware upgrades, diagnostics, etc., but I't so much simpler and faster to use a card adaptor if your Mac has a built-in reader.
2017-7-25
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

anguskennedy Posted at 2017-7-25 03:43
No luck for me with the downgrade to .800 / re upgrade to .900  I've also had about 5 conversations with DJI support and they wouldn't help me downgrade to .700, they did however say it wasa known issue and was going to be fixed with new firmware in a week.... doesn't help me for my shoots this weekend. So annoyed.

That's good to hear.  The Mavic is Super Cool, but, this issue forced me back to flying my Phantom 4 which upon returning to her, really captures better images from edge to edge.  Once in the air, she Screams!!  I forgot how much fun the Phantom 4 is and the images and video are easier to capture consistently in focus & exposure.  Its simpler to use.  However, when my latest Mavic is working properly, you can't beat the set up time and fun to fly factor along with a lot more feature filled camera once you get the hang of using it properly.  But, I'm scared another firmware update is gonna change its flight characteristics and/or camera function.  Its just not a reliable platform compared to my Phantom 4 which I've flown all over the world and in extreme conditions without flight app crash, feature crash,, and just plain not crashing.... I trust it and I want so bad to trust the Mavic as well.  I wish DJI could get their programming together and put out a app version that works for Android without crashing constantly and a firmware for the Mavic that runs the hardware reliably and without failure.
2017-7-25
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

In the email that DJI sent to me on Friday, I find it strange that one of the tip links suggests that we are to be shooting in raw mode - when the mode is currently broken.  For producing such a great base product, this company seems very confused much of the time.
2017-7-30
Use props
MGROENNE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176056 ft
Germany

So I've downgraded to .800 and re-upgraded to .900 again. Nothing has changed. Still corrupted DNG files - that can't be opened in Lightroom cc (ver: 2015.12) nor in Photoshop with current camera raw. :/
System: Macbook Pro running Mac Os Sierra.
2017-7-31
Use props
DronePix
lvl.3
Australia

This is my experience about firmware 900:
- One set of Raw corrupted after battery change, which cannot be opened or viewed with adobe camera raw (both windows and Mac), but ok with other. It happened only once, and never again.
- however preview of the Raw file never worked (Mac Sierra 10.12.5 and 10.12.6)
- thumb nail of raw displayed wrong images (portrait -> landscape.. from another photos)
- downgrade and then upgrade (900 -> 800 -> 900) did not change anything.
I have an impression that it has a lot to do with the Mavic's buggy firmware.

Firmware 900 and 800 cannot downgrade to 700 via Assistant.

However I just found this video which seem to be the only existing solution for those who is struggling to downgrade:
I have not personally tried this, as there seem to have no safety net in case if downgrade failed midway...

Cheers
2017-7-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

MGROENNE Posted at 2017-7-31 03:23
So I've downgraded to .800 and re-upgraded to .900 again. Nothing has changed. Still corrupted DNG files - that can't be opened in Lightroom cc (ver: 2015.12) nor in Photoshop with current camera raw. :/
System: Macbook Pro running Mac Os Sierra.

You might have to do it a couple times. My first attempt was to refresh the firmware, which didn't do it.
2017-7-31
Use props
MDJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85646 ft
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-31 07:39
You might have to do it a couple times. My first attempt was to refresh the firmware, which didn't do it.

Ah,  thanks for thattip - I had missed it earlier in the thread.  I will try the downgrade/upgrade loop again!
2017-8-2
Use props
alex55
New
Flight distance : 15135 ft
United States

It seems like I found a way to fix DNGs without changing neither Mavic FW nor macOS. If you install Adobe Digital Negative Converter and choose only one option "Use Lossy Compression" with any limit (tried several options and it works) the processed DNGs opens in any apps. For Mavic it does not matter choosing 15M or 20M limit because it have 12M. As a bonus you have a smaller DNG file. Seems like a work solution for me.
2017-8-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

alex55 Posted at 2017-8-6 07:38
It seems like I found a way to fix DNGs without changing neither Mavic FW nor macOS. If you install Adobe Digital Negative Converter and choose only one option "Use Lossy Compression" with any limit (tried several options and it works) the processed DNGs opens in any apps. For Mavic it does not matter choosing 15M or 20M limit because it have 12M. As a bonus you have a smaller DNG file. Seems like a work solution for me.

Was your issue the corrupt file problem or the won't open in Finder/Preview/Photos problem? I'm at the beach and can't access my corrupt file samples to retest, but they didn't work with Adobe DNG converter using the default settings.
2017-8-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex55 Posted at 2017-8-6 07:38

I tried this with my corrupted files and it still failed to parse the file. So this solution didn't work in my case. Thanks for the tip!
2017-8-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules