Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 vs. DNG? [WORKAROUND]
12540 96 2017-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex55 Posted at 2017-8-6 07:38
It seems like I found a way to fix DNGs without changing neither Mavic FW nor macOS. If you install Adobe Digital Negative Converter and choose only one option "Use Lossy Compression" with any limit (tried several options and it works) the processed DNGs opens in any apps. For Mavic it does not matter choosing 15M or 20M limit because it have 12M. As a bonus you have a smaller DNG file. Seems like a work solution for me.

I tried this with my corrupted files and it still failed to parse the file. So this solution didn't work in my case. Thanks for the tip!
2017-8-7
Use props
jonaslreiher
New
Flight distance : 287844 ft
Austria

Hello together, I seem to have the issue with the RAW compatibility in MacOS but didn't try to downgrade to 7.02 yet. However, it does not seem to be an RAW issue only. I am able to open my DNGs in Affinity Photo, but if I export them as 16bit TIFF finder and photos still show a black box, while exporting them as 8bit TIFF out of Affinity Photo does not make any problems. So it may be a problem with the bit depth of the pictures?
2017-8-7
Use props
alex55
New
Flight distance : 15135 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-7 07:45
Was your issue the corrupt file problem or the won't open in Finder/Preview/Photos problem? I'm at the beach and can't access my corrupt file samples to retest, but they didn't work with Adobe DNG converter using the default settings.

My issue was that on macOS I've seen the black window instead of the photo in any app (Finder/Preview/Photos/Pixelmator/etc...). After Adobe DNG Converter all apps can open DNG file without any issues.

I've also find some interesting thing - after I open (ex, using a Preview) a converted DNG then original DNG opens too but I see a broken photo. It seems like some rendering issue with Apple RAW converter...
2017-8-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Today's firmware update 1.03.1000 may well fix the corrupt file issue that it claims to do (let's hope), but sadly doesn't address the black screen problem with Apple's Finder and Apple apps on MacOS El Capitan 10.12.5 and 10.12.6 -- to work around that you'll need to revert to an earlier version of the Raw Camera Support bundle described in this post, or use Alex55's trick of employing Adobe DNG Converter while enabling Use Lossy Compression, described in his post in this thread, which I've confirmed works for non-corrupt DNG. I just enabled the checkbox and left the default of Preserve Pixel Count.
2017-8-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

alex55 Posted at 2017-8-7 15:36
My issue was that on macOS I've seen the black window instead of the photo in any app (Finder/Preview/Photos/Pixelmator/etc...). After Adobe DNG Converter all apps can open DNG file without any issues.

I've also find some interesting thing - after I open (ex, using a Preview) a converted DNG then original DNG opens too but I see a broken photo. It seems like some rendering issue with Apple RAW converter...

Yes, I've confirmed that conversion works if you enable lossy compression, but only for files that are not already corrupt. Presumably the latest firmware update addresses the corrupt file problem. Thanks for posting your findings!

As for your "interesting thing" -- I'm seeing that, too. I think it's because the Finder recognizes that the image is the same file and so updates the preview database. If you try to open the unconverted version with the now-working preview you'll still get a black screen.
2017-8-22
Use props
Mavic Paddler
New
United Kingdom

I'm seeing the same issue with recent Mavic DNGs showing up black in macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Preview.app, but working fine in Lightroom. Not sure whether it is Apple or DJI at fault, but it is very annoying for the large number of people who own a Mavic and a Mac!
2017-8-23
Use props
DronePix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 16:24
Yes, I've confirmed that conversion works if you enable lossy compression, but only for files that are not already corrupt. Presumably the latest firmware update addresses the corrupt file problem. Thanks for posting your findings!

As for your "interesting thing" -- I'm seeing that, too. I think it's because the Finder recognizes that the image is the same file and so updates the preview database. If you try to open the unconverted version with the now-working preview you'll still get a black screen.

Thanks for the update...do you find any improve image quality as claimed?
2017-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DronePix Posted at 2017-8-24 02:42
Thanks for the update...do you find any improve image quality as claimed?

My test shots were in my dark living room, I'm hoping this weekend to fly and see if I can tell any difference. My guess is they further tweaked the vignette correction.
2017-8-24
Use props
DronePix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-24 04:22
My test shots were in my dark living room, I'm hoping this weekend to fly and see if I can tell any difference. My guess is they further tweaked the vignette correction.

Thanks.. my feeling is: If they cannot even fix the DNG preview/thumbnail issues, I doubt that they would tweat to improve image quality in this firmware.

I have not update the firmware yet, lesson learnt.
2017-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DronePix Posted at 2017-8-24 13:03
Thanks.. my feeling is: If they cannot even fix the DNG preview/thumbnail issues, I doubt that they would tweat to improve image quality in this firmware.

I have not update the firmware yet, lesson learnt.

Of course it's always possible jpg are no longer overcooked. That would certainly be welcomed.
2017-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Tonight I installed the latest public beta of High Sierra, the next major MacOS release due out this month. DNG previews in Finder and Photos preview and open fine. Updating the summary post.
2017-9-5
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-5 20:00
Tonight I installed the latest public beta of High Sierra, the next major MacOS release due out this month. DNG previews in Finder and Photos preview and open fine. Updating the summary post.

You've been chasing this one for a while. Hope it's finally resolved!
2017-9-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

PizzaFiend Posted at 2017-9-5 20:19
You've been chasing this one for a while. Hope it's finally resolved!

Thanks, me, too!
2017-9-7
Use props
Zola Zhou
New
Flight distance : 223 ft
Taiwan

I am still looking for solution to fix that I can't preview DNG files on MacOS High Sierra.
2018-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Zola Zhou Posted at 2018-3-7 07:38
I am still looking for solution to fix that I can't preview DNG files on MacOS High Sierra.

It's been working for me since the upgrade the High Sierra -- what model Mavic and firmware version are you on? Got an example DNG you can share for us to look at?
2018-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Zola Zhou Posted at 2018-3-7 07:38
I am still looking for solution to fix that I can't preview DNG files on MacOS High Sierra.

Ah, I see you have a Mavic Air. I'd try to upgrade to the latest firmware, or refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2 to see if the problem resolves. Also, keep an eye on this Mavic Air thread DNG problem.
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_IBp5CPHw2eJd
New

Gimp image manipulation software program is free open source that WILL open DNG files.  Its a cross plat-form program, unix,gnu,PC, OSX
2018-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules