lvl.1
Australia

Hi,

I just bought a new DJI Mavic.
At the moment, I can't start using it.
I encountered this error on my RC:
"MAG INTERF
CHECK APP"

This happens as soon as I start turning on both RC and Mavic.

I can't see the live video through my iphone DJI GO4 and I can't control the MAVIC.
On top of the apps, it shows "Disconnected".

I have tested it in few different places - including the middle of a big park without any luck.
I have updated the firmware for the drone, RC and iphone apps DJI GO4
I have done "Binding" between RC and Mavic - I can seee the Mavic's battery level.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks.
2017-6-29
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Only time I have seen this is when remote is on and mavic is on but arms folded in still.
2017-6-29
Use props
Albert_Ang
lvl.1
Australia

In my case, all the arms have been extended.
2017-6-29
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

That error refers to the compass. Have you calibrated the compass?
If you are seeing Disconnected then there is possibly a problem with the cable between your phone/tablet and the remote controller. Which port are you using to connect your phone or tablet? Make sure only one cable is plugged in at a time.
2017-6-29
Use props
fans21a388ad
New
Flight distance : 675036 ft
Thailand

I noticed "MAG INTERF CHECK APP" when started from the top platform of a car parking building. 10 floors of cars parking under...  ...caused the interference
2017-6-30
Use props
Albert_Ang
lvl.1
Australia

Connected it to the left hand side usb lightning to my iphone.

I tried in the middle of park, next to the beach and had the same problem
2017-6-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Albert_Ang Posted at 2017-6-30 01:31
Connected it to the left hand side usb lightning to my iphone.

That message most commonly appears when the Mavic is sitting in a location where there's electromagnetic interference, and taking off when it's displayed is a bad idea.

I'm guessing that the bench itself is at least partly constructed of metal (e.g., steel), which might explain it. Also, sidewalks and other concrete surfaces often contain (steel) rebar, and that can be enough to cause a problem, so if your Mavic was on the sidewalk that may have been the reason. Try moving the aircraft to an area where you're very sure there's no electromagnetic interference nearby and see if the message still appears. If it does, you should try (carefully) calibrating the compass and if that still doesn't fix the problem you may need to contact DJI about this.
2017-6-30
Use props
LTS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41155 ft
United States

I just purchased my Mavic and had the same experience.  I was not in any area of interference.

I had to update the firmware - you did that.
I did have to run the compass calibration a few times.  Perhaps I did not get it right the first time?  While everything would appear okay it would go back into a state of not recognizing GPS, etc. after about 5 seconds.  It finally stuck after the 3rd calibration.

THe disconnect issue for me will likely be different since I am on Android but my problem was the phone was applying the proper USB device profile so the app could not get access to what was needed.  I cleared the defaults once and its been pretty good for me.  The disconnects still occur but it reconnects in flight.  The only time it didn't was on my first flight and I had to land manually (a little harrowing) but I had left it in beginner mode so I could attempt to minimize operator error until I felt comfortable enough with the buttons and controls.

The final thing to consider is that there may really be some interference during a particular time period.
2017-6-30
Use props
Albert_Ang
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks for the responses. Finally found the culprit: problem with my iphone and the dji go 4. I deleted and redownload the apps but the issue still persisted. I tried it with my mate's phone and strangely it works. I tried to delete, hard restart my iphone and redownload the apps. All of sudden, all problems disappear.

Thanks for all the thoughts
2017-6-30
Use props
fansefd63352
New
Australia

I have exactly the same problem brand new, thanks DJI for selling me something that cannot be operated as intended, this issue is clearly not an isolated issue so why hasn't this issue been rectified ? Are your products not tested before they go on sale ?
2017-11-25
Use props
realALM740523
New

United States

I have the same issue and one week to fix it before I return the drone to the store. Please let me know the answer,
2017-12-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

realALM740523 Posted at 2017-12-2 11:56
I have the same issue and one week to fix it before I return the drone to the store. Please let me know the answer,

Did you get the message while the Mavic was on the ground? If so, it was probably caused by some type of magnetic interference with the compass, such as from rebar that's often embedded in concrete. If that's the case then move it to a location where you're sure it's well away from any metal and see if the message persists.
2017-12-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The only time I’ve seen this is when my WiFi is connected to my device.
2017-12-2
Use props
samraslan
New
Australia

Yes I am having the same issue. The best way I resolved this was by taking moving the drone and my controller outside away from my computer and other electronic gadgets and the message went away.
2018-2-4
Use props
fans7732b1a8
New
Flight distance : 86309 ft
Belgium

Hey, ik heb ook dit probleem. Maar vorige week kwam erop :vermijd signal
Blocker adjust attenne angle
2018-2-24
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249364 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup, same here!  

MAG INTER
CHECK THE APP

This is the same spot I fly all my DJI drones without any problem..Including my Mavic 1..
Unbelievable..Brand new and DJI didn't figure this out before shipping?

I'll chime back in if I find a solution, but now I know I'm not alone..
2018-8-28
Use props
fansde4ca373
New
Flight distance : 44219 ft
United States

I am having the same issues as well. both on my Mavic 1 and Mavic pro 2. Its got to be the software on the phone since its happing to both drones... Getting frustrated... I uninstalled app on phone and updated drone. still no luck. I am not by any magnetic interference. Its a real issue...
2018-11-30
Use props
DVUS
New
Flight distance : 44219 ft
United States

I fixed the compass issues and the interference error for now. I used a new phone cable instead of the one that came with it... nice.... lol!

But! It wont calibrate the sensors for some reason. It just sits at the end and never finishes.

I also found this on the issue,

What’s the Cause?
Speaking to support at DJI, there are a number of things that can cause this error message. The aforementioned cables, for one. Having metal in your pockets. Or if you’re in a restricted area. Your smartphone can also cause interference if it’s not in airplane mode, I was told.
Chances are, though, there is a much simpler reason.
Drones, like any device that collects GPS information, rely on satellites to gather the data they need. Your drone might need to collect data from as many as 12 satellites in order to calculate your precise location.
If the drone can’t reach all of these satellites it will default to magnetic north rather than true north. And that’s where these interference issues can cause problems. What you need to do is re-calibrate your Mavic Air’s compass.
Now, if like me you scanned some of the DJI user groups and forums about this issue you will have seen people saying you should never re-calibrate your compass. It’s not something you want to do all the time, but in this instance, you should.
Think of it this way: your drone, when you take it out of the box, still thinks it is in the Chinese factory where it was manufactured. So you need to help identify it’s new home.
Look for a warning sign
As a general rule, only re-calibrate the compass of your Mavic Air (or other drone) when prompted to. When you get a magnetic interference warning from the Mavic Air, your DJI Go 4 app will suggest you re-calibrate your compass.
Tap OK to get started. The app will then show you a diagram of the Mavic Air and ask you to rotate it 360 degrees. It’s not entirely clear, though, how you should do this? In the video below I demonstrate how it should be done to properly re-calibrate your Mavic Air’s compass.

2018-11-30
Use props
shredder777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114928 ft
United States

fans21a388ad Posted at 2017-6-30 01:23
I noticed "MAG INTERF CHECK APP" when started from the top platform of a car parking building. 10 floors of cars parking under...  ...caused the interference

I had that same issue.  Also, I was at a park and at the asphalt handicap parking area, I got the same interference.  I am thinking because of the metal in the concrete to keep it from not moving because of it being on a slope...  my guess.   I moved to a sidewalk and it calibrate and was able to fly.
2018-11-30
Use props
shredder777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114928 ft
United States

shredder777 Posted at 11-30 10:23
I had that same issue.  Also, I was at a park and at the asphalt handicap parking area, I got the same interference.  I am thinking because of the metal in the concrete to keep it from not moving because of it being on a slope...  my guess.   I moved to a sidewalk and it calibrate and was able to fly.

2018-11-30
Use props
Sudo911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486545 ft
Ireland

I had the same issue and it was due to the SD card being corrupt!

Try remove the SD card and see if it fixes the problem.... I reformatted mine and then it worked perfectly in the Mavic afterwards.... very strange problem and for the life of me I couldnt fix it or get the Mavic in the air when I was in the field and missed out on some great video opportunities.
2018-11-30
Use props
Richardmwalter46
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152677 ft
United States

Had the messages mag interference and gimbal disconnected  also compass would not calibrate.
changed out the sd card and that fixed the gimbal problem and let me calibrate the compass. all
is well.
2019-1-26
Use props
fans4b6e8038
New

Netherlands

Switch off your wifi and Bluetooth on your phone. This should be only activated while updating the drone. While flying, Bluetooth and wifi should be disabled. Hope this helps.
2019-9-2
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got that message yesterday standing in the middle of a field I've flown in a few hundred times. Turns out my M2ED doesn't like the 9mm pistol in my front pocket, locked it in my pickup and all was well.
2019-9-2
Use props
MattBro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2075036 ft
United States

Had the same problem.  Turning off wifi worked for me.  
2020-2-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

FatherXmas Posted at 2019-9-2 11:38
I got that message yesterday standing in the middle of a field I've flown in a few hundred times. Turns out my M2ED doesn't like the 9mm pistol in my front pocket, locked it in my pickup and all was well.

Its a great smart drone to not like a 9mm pistol ...

cheers
JJB
2020-2-14
Use props
djiuser_tQuCVbcDM1hd
New
Ghana

Got same problem and I am in Ghana. Don't know what the heck to do with my Mavic2Zoom. Reinstalled the app several times and ... cannot still connect to server via the app.
2020-3-22
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

Albert_Ang Posted at 2017-6-30 06:11
Thanks for the responses. Finally found the culprit: problem with my iphone and the dji go 4. I deleted and redownload the apps but the issue still persisted. I tried it with my mate's phone and strangely it works. I tried to delete, hard restart my iphone and redownload the apps. All of sudden, all problems disappear.

Thanks for all the thoughts

try and get a used Ipad mini 4, you will never encounter that problem again. your phone might not have been compatible to the app
2020-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules