MavicPilots.com Moderators are deleting posts and banning users
3219 15 2017-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

As a public service announcement, I just wanted to let you all know that MavicPilots is NOT a place for OPEN discussion about Mavics. They have been deleting user's posts left and right that are about *deleted* and other mods and hacks.
They've even banned ME for posting that they've deleted threads by other users. Pretty ridiculous.

2017-6-30
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Note: We will be deleting any threads advertising this method of altering DJI aircraft. I know you guys want to be able to talk about this, but these forums are not the place. I hope you understand. I will be closing this thread, but will leave it up for visibility.
2017-6-30
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Well, since it is a private / public Bulletin Board, whoever is paying the freight gets to determine the rules and what gets said or banned.  If you find it so offensive, start your Mavic Bulletin Board and do what you want.  Somebody is Paying for your "Free Speech,"
2017-6-30
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-30 04:43
Well, since it is a private / public Bulletin Board, whoever is paying the freight gets to determine the rules and what gets said or banned.  If you find it so offensive, start your Mavic Bulletin Board and do what you want.  Somebody is Paying for your "Free Speech,"

Obviously, none of us are forced to post or read that forum. If the content deletion gets so bad over there, then anyone can create another forum within minutes and allow information to be shared.

I just thought people should know that they aren't getting the full picture about Mavics on the forum that is supposed to be unaffiliated with DJI.  

2017-6-30
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

My answer to your original post comes As someone who is an Administrator on another - NON DRONE based Bulletin Board - and we have had members who bemoan the fact that on that board, we have banned users and deleted posts.

It comes down - on the admins part - to operating a responsible public forum for the members.  Flames or vicious posts get removed and the user gets tossed.  THIS is on our board - I'm not anything other than a user on MavicPilots - but I do look at some of their actions and judge it by our board.

*DELETED* - as an example - I think MavicPilots made the right call.  As to what's been revealed over there yesterday, I'm not sure how I feel about that?

Just to wrap this up -- as I said in my first post, Free Speech isn't free, as somebody bought the hosting software and somebody is paying the hosting fees on a server someplace.  Over here, it's a corporate sponsorship paid for by DJI.  MavicPilots may or may not have fees associated with its vendors, I have no idea.  

I like both this board and MavicPilots as it gives me 2 slightly different views on the same topic.

Good, Safe Flying.
2017-6-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-6-30 05:05
Obviously, none of us are forced to post or read that forum. If the content deletion gets so bad over there, then anyone can create another forum within minutes and allow information to be shared.

I just thought people should know that they aren't getting the full picture about Mavics on the forum that is supposed to be unaffiliated with DJI.

The inconsistent and sometimes heavy-handed moderation on MavicPilots is a big part of the reason I only lurk there. The irony is that this is generally a more civil forum despite the relatively light moderation. Go figure.

Technically unaffiliated, maybe, but it's the advertisers who are really the ones "paying the freight" for MavicPilots, and DJI is one of those advertisers, possibly even their single biggest source of income. That would explain why MavicPilots' moderators usually just look the other way when people aim abusive comments towards one another but suddenly get religion about strictly enforcing the rules when someone posts a piece of information that might upset their biggest advertiser.
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if they (Mavic Pilot Moderators) would allow *deleted* to advertise on their forum...if so, then would they allow for *deleted* related threads....HMM
2017-6-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-30 05:32
I wonder if they (Mavic Pilot Moderators) would allow Coptersafe to advertise on their forum...if so, then would they allow for Coptersafe related threads....HMM

Ha, good question! That certainly would be an "ethical dilemma" for the forum's owners, wouldn't it? But nothing helps solve an ethical dilemma like the right amount of money.
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-30 05:41
Ha, good question! That certainly would be an "ethical dilemma" for the forum's owners, wouldn't it? But nothing helps solve an ethical dilemma like the right amount of money.

Ah...I see that you were "reading between the lines"...very astute
2017-6-30
Use props
Erick705
lvl.2

Canada

*deleted* is a rip off.  They are way over priced for what it does when anyone can do the service they sell in 5 mins.  And I think Drones should be open source to modify.  Android is open source.  Google wants people to modify the phone, they learn from it as well.  IOS is communist.  DJI should allow mods to be done, the potential is there by other programmers at a User Beware state.  Quit banning people for lame reasons.
2017-6-30
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Erick705 Posted at 2017-6-30 08:09
*deleted* is a rip off.  They are way over priced for what it does when anyone can do the service they sell in 5 mins.  And I think Drones should be open source to modify.  Android is open source.  Google wants people to modify the phone, they learn from it as well.  IOS is communist.  DJI should allow mods to be done, the potential is there by other programmers at a User Beware state.  Quit banning people for lame reasons.

Wow - Flame much?

2017-6-30
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

And, to @Jamesw - I didn't mean you any disrespect, I was just stating my opinion based on my non-MavicPilots or DJI.com experiences as a forum Admin.

And to the other posters - I respect your opinions, but, as always , Your Mileage May Vary.

Safe and Happy Flying to everyone.
2017-6-30
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hacks and jailbreaking belong in the darkweb.
2017-6-30
Use props
Erick705
lvl.2

Canada

I give credit where credit is due.  450$ for changing 8 parameters? Give me a break!!!  I can teach anybody to do that in 5 mins for free.
2017-6-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Erick705 Posted at 2017-6-30 08:30
I give credit where credit is due.  450$ for changing 8 parameters? Give me a break!!!  I can teach anybody to do that in 5 mins for free.

450$ for changing 8 parameters? Give me a break!!!  I can teach anybody to do that in 5 mins for free.

Their pricing was based on the obscurity of the information they have, but I think their business model has now collapsed. And judging by the comments I've read there it appears to me that MavicPilots may have given itself somewhat of a black eye -- even with some of its "regulars" -- with its response to that now-irrelevant discussion.
2017-6-30
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-30 08:38
450$ for changing 8 parameters? Give me a break!!!  I can teach anybody to do that in 5 mins for free.

Their pricing was based on the obscurity of the information they have, but I think their business model has now collapsed. And judging by the comments I've read there it appears to me that MavicPilots may have given itself somewhat of a black eye -- even with some of its "regulars" -- with its response to that now-irrelevant discussion.

Yes they (Mavic Pilots) did seem to go a bit overboard in regards to the *deleted* matter.  I could fully understand if the topic(s) were offensive (i.e. racist, sexual, etc.), but that was not the case.  Every thread/post was 100% Mavic related.
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules