About Those Polar Pro Filters....
1447 12 2017-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneNut51
lvl.2

United States

Hi All,

I made this review doing a side-by-side comparison of the same shot with the Polar Pro Filters for the DJI Mavic.  Hope this is informational to you guys!

2017-7-1
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Just received mine and make sure they are all the way on as I had a gimble stuck also I expected to see a lot of change on rotating them but didn't see much tbh, I'll keep trying.
2017-7-1
Use props
DroneNut51
lvl.2

United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-1 07:01
Just received mine and make sure they are all the way on as I had a gimble stuck  also I expected to see a lot of change on rotating them but didn't see much tbh, I'll keep trying.

I don't believe there is any directional polarization with the ND filters, which is why you won't see any difference by rotating them.  

The Circular Polarizer polarizes light in all directions, which reduces some glare, but there still is some that is at the same phase as whatever is reflecting!
2017-7-4
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

DroneNut51 Posted at 2017-7-4 08:47
I don't believe there is any directional polarization with the ND filters, which is why you won't see any difference by rotating them.  

The Circular Polarizer polarizes light in all directions, which reduces some glare, but there still is some that is at the same phase as whatever is reflecting!

So the polar pro ND+PL cinema types don't adjust on rotate ?
2017-7-4
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-4 09:08
So the polar pro ND+PL cinema types don't adjust on rotate ?

Mine do, I bought both the ND and the ND+PL, but just my ND+PL adjust on rotate
2017-7-4
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-7-4 09:38
Mine do, I bought both the ND and the ND+PL, but just my ND+PL adjust on rotate

Is it really noticeable on rotate ? I tried mine and couldn't see much change although was some , but certainly not to the extent of really dark etc
2017-7-4
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Actually just got the polar pro cinema vivid ND16+PL out of the box to try again and I can see the darkest position seems to be when the edge of the Polar Pro logo is center vertical   so just added back with end of logo central on the gimble, I think I had it on wrong as was bright etc. thanks and I'll put this down to old age
2017-7-4
Use props
VickysGuy
New
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-4 10:32
Actually just got the polar pro cinema vivid ND16+PL out of the box to try again and I can see the darkest position seems to be when the edge of the Polar Pro logo is center vertical   so just added back with end of logo central on the gimble, I think I had it on wrong as was bright etc. thanks and I'll put this down to old age

On my set, the polarization is at different rotations with respect to the lettering.  When I got mine, I marked each one like this: picked up my polarized sunglasses and turned them 90 degrees so that they're only passing horizontally polarized light; held a PolarPro close to my eye, looking through both it and the sunglasses, and rotated it until it was black; marked the top with a Sharpie.  So, when I go to put one of the filters on my MP, I just put it on with the mark at 12:00 (or 6:00).  
2017-7-4
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Brand new to this, I am, but circular polarized are called CP.  ND+PL is regular (directional) polarization.  That's what I read.
2017-7-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Do remember that polar filters work in relation to the sun angle.  Change the sun angle and  you need to change the filter angle.
2017-7-4
Use props
Kenner
lvl.1
United States

Hey, thanks for this review! Now I know what these filters look like.
2017-7-5
Use props
Carnage808
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21893 ft
United States

DroneNut51 Posted at 2017-7-4 08:47

Yes, they do adjust when you rotate them.  Point it at a monitor and rotate the lens.  You will see the difference.
2017-7-5
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Carnage808 Posted at 2017-7-5 19:08
Yes, they do adjust when you rotate them.  Point it at a monitor and rotate the lens.  You will see the difference.

Only the lenses labeled PL need to be rotated.  If they're just ND filters, rotating doesn't matter.  I have both and just tested (even though I already knew).
2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules