Infinity focus and general focusing issues with I1 X5 and Olympus.
3877 21 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Patrick P
lvl.2
Flight distance : 522598 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi
2017-7-2
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Hi I know this has been discussed here earlier but I haven't found any solutions to my problem yet, so excuse me for making a new thread about this issue. I guess it's many more out there with the same problems.

My Inspire 1 with X5 with an Olympus 12mm f2 lens on it won't focus correct. With AF ON and AF assistant ON, when I hit the AF focusing button on the app (screen) the zoomed in picture shows and I can't see the AF do anything and everything is totally out of focus, only the subjects from "macro" to a meter out I can get in focus. Manual focusing does not solve anything! Even if I set the lens to MF and putting it on infinity. Or when I'm trying to zoom manually to calibrate it, nothing at all happens!

Any advices in here??

I would appreciate your help!

Cheers
Patrick

2017-7-2
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

The post didn't somehow show up, so the text is in the commentary section above! I'm very sorry for this!
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Patrick P Posted at 2017-7-2 05:12
The post didn't somehow show up, so the text is in the commentary section above! I'm very sorry for this!

Do you have the default lens default DJI MFT 15mm F/1.7 ASPH)? If so, I suggest to calibrate the lens, please refer to the link below:
2017-7-3
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-3 00:10
Do you have the default lens default DJI MFT 15mm F/1.7 ASPH)? If so, I suggest to calibrate the lens, please refer to the link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC56-pccgs

Hi, and thanks a lot for your help!! I got the Olympus 12mm 2 on the X5!
2017-7-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Patrick P Posted at 2017-7-3 00:49
Hi, and thanks a lot for your help!! I got the Olympus 12mm 2 on the X5!

OK, please try the calibration firstly, if the problem persists, please upload a few original pictures from SD card to Dropbox for us to analyze.
2017-7-3
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-3 01:04
OK, please try the calibration firstly, if the problem persists, please upload a few original pictures from SD card to Dropbox for us to analyze.

Thank you so very much!! I'll try to calibrate the lens again and if it doesn't help I'll send you some original shots and so, so you can analyze them!
2017-7-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Patrick P Posted at 2017-7-3 01:18
Thank you so very much!! I'll try to calibrate the lens again and if it doesn't help I'll send you some original shots and so, so you can analyze them!

You are welcome, waiting for your update.
2017-7-3
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434931 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-3 00:10
Do you have the default lens default DJI MFT 15mm F/1.7 ASPH)? If so, I suggest to calibrate the lens, please refer to the link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC56-pccgs

Mindy I read in another post of yours, you asked a person what version of the x-5 camera that have. Can you tell me what difference there is between the cameras originally produced, and the ones offered for sale in dji store now? Any improvements?
2017-7-13
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-7-13 19:14
Mindy I read in another post of yours, you asked a person what version of the x-5 camera that have. Can you tell me what difference there is between the cameras originally produced, and the ones offered for sale in dji store now? Any improvements?

Zenmuse X5 camera comes in X5R version as well ...
2017-7-15
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434931 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-15 15:42
Zenmuse X5 camera comes in X5R version as well ...

That never crossed my mind. I thought maybe they improved the camera from the original. Kind of like Inspire 1 and Inspire 1 V2.0
2017-7-15
Use props
David Bartenfie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
United States

Patrick P Posted at 2017-7-3 01:18

Did you get this sorted?  I have the same camera and same lens.  I have calibrated several times without success.  I still can't get the infinity switch does not return the focus to infinity.
2017-7-21
Use props
fans5d1c14e1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24524 ft
Australia

Hi,
I have the very same issue with an Inspire 2 X5S camera. I have factory reset three times in DJI Assistant 2 and reinstalled the latest firmware every time. I have an Olympus 45mm that works perfectly so it's definitely a software or mechanical issue with the 15mm lens. Any help would be most appreciated. TIA.
2017-8-4
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

Patrick P Posted at 2017-7-2 05:11
Hi I know this has been discussed here earlier but I haven't found any solutions to my problem yet, so excuse me for making a new thread about this issue. I guess it's many more out there with the same problems.

Hey Patrick, don't even bother with in app AF when you have the Olympus 12mm!

Slip the focus ring on the lens into manual and dial it in by hand to infinity. Everything from 3m - infinity will be in focus.
2017-8-4
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Hi you all, and thank you everyone for such kindness, you are all so willing to help me out, and I have to say I appreciate that a lot! :-)
I`ve tried and tried calibrating the lens, sadly without success..
I`m a landscape photographer by occupation so this is really hitting me hard as I badly need the drone these days. And, I have to say as a photographer I`ve worked with lot of cameras, from SLR,DSLR to mirrorless, and I´ve never experienced such a problem!! Peak Focus is useless, asking me, but perhaps that´s another reason to believe that something really wrong is up, either with the camera or the lens.
By the way, to be honest, I´ve NEVER even once crashed or have had a rough landing with the drone.
But, in the GO APP it says I have to upgrade the camera as well as the drone and the RC. (I thought I wouldn't´t bother to upgrade anything that is already working fine, except perhaps I should upgrade the camera, what do you guys think??? The reason I´m not so willing to upgrade Rc and drone firmware is because the last times I did it, I ran into trouble every single time.. )
2017-9-4
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-3 01:20
You are welcome, waiting for your update.

Hi,
Now I have calibrated and calibrated without a single picture in focus, in fact the problem has turned worse!!! Now everything is totally out of focus when I just zoom a bit in on the picture. On 4K videos on my iMac 5K I see that the closest objects are in focus but not at all at infinity!
This is now such a HUGE problem for me, as I use the drone in my work daily, clients are dissatisfied and I´m losing money each and every day.
Should I send the drone to DJI?? I live in Norway so I guess if I send it in to repair, they must send it to Germany or somewhere, and than I´m without my drone for a couple of months perhaps!?!?

I will appreciate all the help I can get!!!
2017-9-4
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

fans5d1c14e1 Posted at 2017-8-4 20:30
Hi,
I have the very same issue with an Inspire 2 X5S camera. I have factory reset three times in DJI Assistant 2 and reinstalled the latest firmware every time. I have an Olympus 45mm that works perfectly so it's definitely a software or mechanical issue with the 15mm lens. Any help would be most appreciated. TIA.

Hi there,
have you solved your problem yet???
2017-9-4
Use props
Patrick P
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

MrSilicon Posted at 2017-8-4 21:10

Slip the focus ring on the lens into manual and dial it in by hand to infinity. Everything from 3m - infinity will be in focus.

Hi MrSilicon,
Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate that! I´ve already tried that, but when I did so I to the focus ring to the mid of the infinity mark, but, it goes a bit further (this because in changing temperatures the infinity on the lens will vary a bit), and that I still haven´t tried! I´m a photographer by occupation and I also though that with a 12mm (although it´s NOT really 12mm on the X5 because of the sensor size you know. It´s 24mm on the X5. So then it´s a bit more tricky to find the hyperlocal etc.)
But I thought your answer was very wise, I have to say that! :-)
So I would be more than happy to see more comments from you on this subject! :-)
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Patrick P Posted at 2017-9-4 12:02
Hi,
Now I have calibrated and calibrated without a single picture in focus, in fact the problem has turned worse!!! Now everything is totally out of focus when I just zoom a bit in on the picture. On 4K videos on my iMac 5K I see that the closest objects are in focus but not at all at infinity!
This is now such a HUGE problem for me, as I use the drone in my work daily, clients are dissatisfied and I´m losing money each and every day.

Could you please upload a short video to Dropbox about the infinite focus issue? We would like to look into before sending in.
2017-9-6
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Does it focus to infinity with the stock lens?

If it does, it might be the lens at fault.  I had to send my 45mm to Olympus as it needed a version update.  The version in it was version 1.0 (I put it on a dealer's body to check it.) and Olympus said it needed version 1.2 that affected the video and aperture for some reason.  Cost me $140 USA to do so, but whatever Olympus did to it it now works.

I could have made the update myself if I had an Olympus or Panasonic camera for the micro 4/3 lens.  I've since bought an Olympus Pen-F body to check these drone lenses out.  I also recently bought a Laowa 7.5mm manual lens for the X5S camera and it would not focus manually to infinity either and had to go back, and I'm awaiting a back-order exchange of it now from B&H Photo.  There been reports of that happening with that lens from others too.

The Laowa is sort of difficult to work with in still photos with exposure since it has no electronics in it to talk to the camera and being fully manual.  Hopefully, DJI iwll enable it's use somehow to support fully manual lens.  Video is less problematic with it, imho.

Good luck sorting it out.

2017-9-6
Use props
mike.midi-photography
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80915 ft
United Kingdom

MrSilicon Posted at 2017-8-4 21:10

Slip the focus ring on the lens into manual and dial it in by hand to infinity. Everything from 3m - infinity will be in focus.

Hi MrSilicon

Your post could well save my bacon. I've tried this with my Olympus 12mm in manual and I can't quite find a sweet spot in focus.

Is there any chance you would mind taking a photo of your focus ring and how yours is set please?

This is how I've set mine up.

I always set the aperture to f5.6. Do you have a different preference in aperture setting?

Many thanks

Mike
2018-2-25
Use props
Lucas Argentina
lvl.2
Argentina

Is that tutorial for osmo x5 calibrating too ?
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules