Newbee question about tablet usage
760 7 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grandpawmoses
New

United States

Hello. First post. I'm older than the hills, retired, and looking for a new hobby.I'm about to take the step to buy my first drone, a Mavic Pro. I've flown RC helicopters before so I don't think the Mavic will be too much over my head.
My question is, I want to use it with a tablet and I have a WiFi Google Pixel C. I understand I'll need a mounting bracket and possibly a cable.
Here's where I'll show my ignorance. Will this setup be able to fly in RC mode (not WiFi) (tablet connected to remote)?

2017-7-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm older than the hills, retired, and looking for a new hobby.

You might be surprised at what the average age of Mavic owners is and how large the age span seems to be. Take a look at this thread and I suspect you'll find some replies in there from folks older than you.

I've flown RC helicopters before so I don't think the Mavic will be too much over my head.

I suspect you're probably right about that. It seems to be a good choice even for those with no previous RC or quadcopter experience, so I suspect you'll do fine.

Will this [Google Pixel C] setup be able to fly in RC mode (not WiFi) (tablet connected to remote)?

Since the Pixel C isn't on the list of supported devices the answer is "maybe" -- but I'm not optimistic. Android devices in general -- even the ones on the list -- seem to have more problems than iOS, and I've seen a lot of posts from people who were unsuccessful trying to use older (and unsupported) Android devices. It's worth a shot, though.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend trying to pick up an iOS device. Ideally a Mini 4, but some of the older (e.g., Mini 2) devices also reportedly work well.
2017-7-2
Use props
grandpawmoses
New

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-2 09:13

You might be surprised at what the average age of Mavic owners is and how large the age span seems to be. Take a look at this thread and I suspect you'll find some replies in there from folks older than you.

Thanks for the answers.
Just to verify, if I have a tablet that is compatible, the Mavic could operate in RC mode (not WiFi mode)?
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you get iPad mini 4 or 2 , it will fit without holder. Yes your set up will be RC not wifi, taking usual precautions i.e. Read manual check out tutorials, there are many, these AC are very easy to fly. Set up is relatively easy,
2017-7-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

grandpawmoses Posted at 2017-7-2 11:46
Thanks for the answers.
Just to verify, if I have a tablet that is compatible, the Mavic could operate in RC mode (not WiFi mode)?

Yes, technically all you need to operate in RC mode is the remote itself; theoretically you can fly with no mobile device at all, but of course nobody that I know of does that.
2017-7-2
Use props
Robcorp
New

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-2 09:13

Where can I get a list of "Supported" devices. I'm currently using a Samsung Tab-A tablet and having a few issues.
2017-7-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Robcorp Posted at 2017-7-7 05:02
Where can I get a list of "Supported" devices. I'm currently using a Samsung Tab-A tablet and having a few issues.

I got the list off this page. If you can afford one the iPad Mini 4 seems like the best choice as it's the largest tablet that'll fit inside the Mavic's controller. You can use larger tablets, but those require also buying a mount.

APP / LIVE VIEW

iOS Version v4.1.3.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.

Android Version v4.1.2.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.

2017-7-7
Use props
Robcorp
New

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-7 05:11
I got the list off this page. If you can afford one the iPad Mini 4 seems like the best choice as it's the largest tablet that'll fit inside the Mavic's controller. You can use larger tablets, but those require also buying a mount.

So it appears that my Android device (Samsung Tablet Tab A) should qualify as long as the software is newer than V4.1.2/V4.40. My Tab-A is version V5.0.
Again as I mentioned, my tablet is working however its sensitive to a proper boot sequence.

Thanks for the List!!
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules