12989 64 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38901 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Spark stops at some point like after 40-50 meters when tracking an object. I believe it stays within a distance to home point.But this is not max distance setting because I am not in beginner mode and the distance setting is disabled.
so how can I change the max active track distance ?

thx
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can't change distance, it should fly to 80/100 meters with phone much further with RC.
2017-7-2
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 12:42
You can't change distance, it should fly to 80/100 meters with phone much further with RC.

no you didn't understand.
This is not the transmission distance.
It is a max distance between the home point and the device when it is active tracking.
but I could not find where it is set.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[ilkeraktuna] Posted at 2017-7-2 13:10
no you didn't understand.
This is not the transmission distance.
It is a max distance between the home point and the device when it is active tracking.

From homepoint with AT using phone is same as flying 80/100 meters, once aircraft reaches max distance from homepoint it won't go any further and it should be the same for AT as it is for normal flying.
2017-7-2
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

but where is that max distance is set ?
I want to change it to something like 200 meters.
otherwise active tracking stops after the currently set distance.

btw, the distance with the phone is never increasing because it tracks the person carrying the phone.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[ilkeraktuna] Posted at 2017-7-2 14:14
but where is that max distance is set ?
I want to change it to something like 200 meters.
otherwise active tracking stops after the currently set distance.

Unless your using a remote control you cannot go further with AC than 100 meters, and you cannot set active track to go a specific distance.
2017-7-2
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 14:24
Unless your using a remote control you cannot go further with AC than 100 meters, and you cannot set active track to go a specific distance.

why ?
I mean this is not  related to remote control or the phone.
it does not go away from the phone. phone is moving with it.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[ilkeraktuna] Posted at 2017-7-2 14:30
why ?
I mean this is not  related to remote control or the phone.
it does not go away from the phone. phone is moving with it.

Although it's tracking subject and not the phone or remote. In order for you to initiate AT you must use remote or phone and this will initiate homepoint with phone you can't get aircraft to go further than 100 meters. If your talking about gesture control and using follow mode which is not strictly Active track you cannot set distance.
I think I can't explain this anymore to you, you really should read the manual.
2017-7-2
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180584 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 14:52
Although it's tracking subject and not the phone or remote. In order for you to initiate AT you must use remote or phone and this will initiate homepoint with phone you can't get aircraft to go further than 100 meters. If your talking about gesture control and using follow mode which is not strictly Active track you cannot set distance.
I think I can't explain this anymore to you, you really should read the manual.

The problem here is that you are not answering the question, reading the manual will not answer his question either. He is asking why AT uses the home point as a distance limitation. You are not providing that answer because you (or I) don't know why they would put such a limitation in place while using active track. It certainly does not make sense to limit AT to 100m. Hopefully just a bug that will be fixed in the very near future.
2017-7-2
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

ok. so this limit is 100 m ? Because when I try, I see the drone stops at a smaller distance. Maybe 50m
I don't have a remote at the moment; but I will get it in a few weeks. Then this limit will be much longer , I understand. But current limitation is really a show stopper.
2017-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-2 17:17
The problem here is that you are not answering the question, reading the manual will not answer his question either. He is asking why AT uses the home point as a distance limitation. You are not providing that answer because you (or I) don't know why they would put such a limitation in place while using active track. It certainly does not make sense to limit AT to 100m. Hopefully just a bug that will be fixed in the very near future.

AT tracks the person or bicycle etc it doesn't track the phone, in order to activate AT you must start your AC at a homepoint this will always be homepoint to the AC unless you change it. It will always be the homepoint no matter what features you use. This is the way AC is set up.

I'm not really sure how I can explain it more. And if you read the manual it's all there . But just picking small parts of the manual will not answer the full question.
2017-7-2
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

What is AC you are referring to ?
and how can I change the home point ? Maybe changing it frequently as we move would solve the issue as a workaround.
2017-7-3
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its simple.

! is your home point
# is your spark
8 is you
x is 100m distance from your home point

#
!.........x.........8

When the spark takes off it will set a homepoint on the aircraft itself at that takeoff spot. (!)
The spark (assuming you are using a phone and not controller) is confined to a 100m circle around that home point. (x)
On a phone or device there is no way to change this maximum limit. Its fixed.
In active track the spark is following you, it may or may not be using the GPS on your phone to make tracking more accurate but once the spark reaches the 100m "barrier" the spark will stop as its reached it maximum flying distance from the home point. It will continue to track you as long as it can see you but it wont fly any further. (8)

Sadly, there is no dynamic home point. (Something I would like to see implemented)

If you have the remote control you can bypass this 100m by setting the max flight distance to 8000m then the spark will active track you as far as 8000m from its  home point. More than far enough because you battery will run out before you get that far.

So to answer your question, if you are using a phone or device there is no way to change the maximum flight distance to more than 100m from the home point. If you are using the controller you can set it to a maximum of 8000m.
2017-7-3
Use props
[ilkeraktuna]
lvl.3
  • >>>
Turkey

thanks for the clarification.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-2 23:46
AT tracks the person or bicycle etc it doesn't track the phone, in order to activate AT you must start your AC at a homepoint this will always be homepoint to the AC unless you change it. It will always be the homepoint no matter what features you use. This is the way AC is set up.

I'm not really sure how I can explain it more. And if you read the manual it's all there . But just picking small parts of the manual will not answer the full question.

Again, this does not answer the question of WHY the home point limitation exists for active track. "read the manual" is not an acceptable answer here. We know it exists, but why have such a limitation. It makes no sense to use this limitation for active track.
2017-7-3
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-3 03:15
Again, this does not answer the question of WHY the home point limitation exists for active track. "read the manual" is not an acceptable answer here. We know it exists, but why have such a limitation. It makes no sense to use this limitation for active track.

I imagine this limitation is imposed due to the likelihood that you will exceed the WIFI range of your phone or RC.  Remember the transmission mode.  This is not a Mavic or Phantom.

Assuming you're the one being tracked and you're carrying the phone or RC (so you're still in WIFI range), the only way to overcome the home-point distance limitation is to update the home point periodically.  Unfortunately, there is no provision for continuous update.
2017-7-3
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

This video explains the 100m from homepoint limitation https://youtu.be/kC7yEtqbb-4
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-3 03:15

Ok seen as you have now established yourself as an expert how can it be done outside the range of 100 meters just using your phone. You say it doesn't make sense then enlighten us and tell us with present technology in spark how you propose it will be done.

Remember you said it makes no sense. Then this leads me to believe you know how this can be achieved.

Just remember your Aircraft needs a homepoint somewhere to land safely if it looses wifi signal, you could set to hover if signal is lost , but what if it's lost over a crowd of people water a cliff etc etc, this scenario would also be the same if it could be set to land on loss of wifi.

I look forward to your obvious expertise on this matter.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[ilkeraktuna] Posted at 2017-7-3 00:33
What is AC you are referring to ?
and how can I change the home point ? Maybe changing it frequently as we move would solve the issue as a workaround.

AC = Aircraft, you would need to land and start again from present position, that is the only way.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 09:42
AC = Aircraft, you would need to land and start again from present position, that is the only way.

You don’t have to land to set a new homepoint...
You can set it in the air at smartphone position or ac position.
You know there is a manual for the spark? ;-)
2017-7-3
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Nixtoo Posted at 2017-7-3 06:52
This video explains the 100m from homepoint limitation https://youtu.be/kC7yEtqbb-4

The reason for the 100 m limitation is buried in the video and may be lost to the casual viewer.  That reason is actually stated that 100 m is based on the WIFI limit of the phone. Spark has no way of knowing that your phone has moved unless you  update the Home Point manually, so it assumes the phone is where you started, and if that distance is near the WIFI limit of 100 m, the Spark will stop.  How much simpler could it be.

You're probably thinking "why can't the phone just broadcast it's GPS coordinates continually?"  Well, DJI GO isn't programmed to do that.  Easy to do technically, but for some reason they don't.

2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 09:47
You don’t have to land to set a new homepoint...
You can set it in the air at smartphone position or ac position.
You know there is a manual for the spark? ;-)

I think Griffith has jumped in to explain. You really are a constant troll.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 10:43
I think Griffith has jumped in to explain. You really are a constant troll.

Maybe he should explain you that you don’t have to land to set a new HP.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

RE: max active track distance

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-3 10:21
The reason for the 100 m limitation is buried in the video and may be lost to the casual viewer.  That reason is actually stated that 100 m is based on the WIFI limit of the phone. Spark has no way of knowing that your phone has moved unless you  update the Home Point manually, so it assumes the phone is where you started, and if that distance is near the WIFI limit of 100 m, the Spark will stop.  How much simpler could it be.

You're probably thinking "why can't the phone just broadcast it's GPS coordinates continually?"  Well, DJI GO isn't programmed to do that.  Easy to do technically, but for some reason they don't.

why can't the phone just broadcast it's GPS coordinates continually?"  Well, DJI GO isn't programmed to do that. "

The Go App is programmed to do that, only the spark doesnt support it. (until now)
When you use the Follow Me mode with the Mavic you can choose the dynmaic HomePoint. This Point is refreshed and setted every second automaticly on the Devices position.

Hopefully they will update this in future versions. I already mentionied this on the "customer feedback" thread.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 10:54
Maybe he should explain you that you don’t have to land to set a new HP.

You need to read post 5 and 7 , not just my posts.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:08
You need to read post 5 and 7 , not just my posts.

Nothing wrong there.. Your advise that he needs to land to set a new HP is incorrect. Landing is not necessary.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:12
Nothing wrong there.. Your advise that he needs to land to set a new HP is incorrect. Landing is not necessary.

Your correct. So maybe you will stop trolling now TROLL.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:24
Your correct. So maybe you will stop trolling now TROLL.

Maybe you don’t know what a troll is... I am just demonstrate you your wrong informations. Nothing more. No reason to get sad.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:26
Maybe you don’t know what a troll is... I am just demonstrate you your wrong informations. Nothing more. No reason to get sad.

Like yourself English is not my first language, but don't be sad is something you might say at a funerals.
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:29
Like yourself English is not my first language, but don't be sad is something you might say at a funerals.

Sorry, but the way you are talking you must be sad.
So my words are perfectly fitting. Maybe you should check your dictionary.
And trying to correct other about their spelling isn’t the finest way to say „I have no clue what I am talking about“.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:46
Sorry, but the way you are talking you must be sad.
So my words are perfectly fitting. Maybe you should check your dictionary.
And trying to correct other about their spelling isn’t the finest way to say „I have no clue what I am talking about“.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:58
The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”

Nice to hear for you.. so maybe you will be right...sometime.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 09:30
Ok seen as you have now established yourself as an expert how can it be done outside the range of 100 meters just using your phone. You say it doesn't make sense then enlighten us and tell us with present technology in spark how you propose it will be done.

Remember you said it makes no sense. Then this leads me to believe you know how this can be achieved.

hallmark007, I see you all over these forums giving advice and whatnot, most times you do have something constructive to add to the conversation, other times.. well.. it is obvious you like to defend DJI at all costs. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but it makes you look foolish sometimes, and this thread is a perfect example.

I am not establishing myself as an expert, I am however a software developer and electronics engineer. I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

This can be easily achieved by adding a simple switch in DJI GO 4 to bypass the home point distance limitation when in active track, warn me if it loses track of me, or loses signal and hover in place so I can correct the situation. If it does not lose track of me, then by all means, keep tracing. I normally set it to trace 20 - 30m from me, so signal loss should not be an issue, but if it happens, just let me know so I can correct the situation. Don't limit my active track to 100m from takeoff point, this is of no use to anyone using that feature and is only hindering what could be a fantastic feature.

If the home point itself was updated dynamically, that would be ideal, but that is not what I am looking for. That is follow me, and not active track.  (Edit: perhaps this is indeed what I am looking for, dynamic home point during active track and not just follow me mode.. is it wrong of me to desire this feature?)

Active track is tracking me visually keeping the camera focused on me. Follow me follows the gps signal from my phone which is ok, but it is not tracking me visually, and is not what I am looking for, nor what I am talking about here.

We are not relying on the home point for active track, the same as you would for follow me. We are relying on the visual tracking. Having a limitation on the distance from the take off home point makes no sense. bottom line. Anything else you would like me to explain to you about this? Or would you like to continue to make yourself look like a foolish fanboy?

We understand the feature does not work like we require, but fail to understand why that would be put in place. You are not really helping here, just getting your back up to defend DJI for whatever reason. Personally I would like to see the feature changed, it's fine if you don't. No need to get worked up about it and call people trolls or wannabe experts.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Canada

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-3 05:58
I imagine this limitation is imposed due to the likelihood that you will exceed the WIFI range of your phone or RC.  Remember the transmission mode.  This is not a Mavic or Phantom.

Assuming you're the one being tracked and you're carrying the phone or RC (so you're still in WIFI range), the only way to overcome the home-point distance limitation is to update the home point periodically.  Unfortunately, there is no provision for continuous update.

Not sure what difference it makes about the "likelihood" that I will exceed wifi range when it is tracking me at 20 - 30m away. That likelihood exists whether I am flying from a fixed position or in active track. If it has signal to my phone, and within the max distance (100m) to my phone, why the restriction on the homepoint? I don't want it to return home on signal loss, just hover and let me know so I can rectify the situation. Dynamic home point would be ideal here, but even an option to not use the home point distance limitation (during active track) would be fine as well.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-3 12:47
hallmark007, I see you all over these forums giving advice and whatnot, most times you do have something constructive to add to the conversation, other times.. well.. it is obvious you like to defend DJI at all costs. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but it makes you look foolish sometimes, and this thread is a perfect example.

I am not establishing myself as an expert, I am however a software developer and electronics engineer. I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Ok let's say your running across a bridge AT you loose signal your AC Is 20 meters between you but to the side of the bridge over the water, hover because of loss of signal , how could you manage without signal to save it from the water.

Video above post 17 guy on the cliff looses signal you say just hover so another instance where you may loose your drone.

I think what you are looking for on spark is actually is follow me.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-3 13:57
Ok let's say your running across a bridge AT you loose signal your AC Is 20 meters between you but to the side of the bridge over the water, hover because of loss of signal , how could you manage without signal to save it from the water.

Video above post 17 guy on the cliff looses signal you say just hover so another instance where you may loose your drone.

Not sure how you got that I want follow me from what I said above (I clearly stated numerous times what I want to be able to do with active track). I don't want someone to babysit me, if I make a pilot error and lose signal and it lands in the water, that is on me, I am fine with that. I want the responsibility, I do not need a 100m limit. Follow me would be nice as well, but I want Active Track, with the home point distance limit removed. I am not near a bridge or cliff.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-3 14:31
Not sure how you got that I want follow me from what I said above (I clearly stated numerous times what I want to be able to do with active track). I don't want someone to babysit me, if I make a pilot error and lose signal and it lands in the water, that is on me, I am fine with that. I want the responsibility, I do not need a 100m limit. Follow me would be nice as well, but I want Active Track, with the home point distance limit removed. I am not near a bridge or cliff.

Then use your Mavic , if you wanted this you would have got RC, obviously you needed to do more research.
It sounds to me like you want to Payless and get more, your starting to sound like someone crying into there glass.
If the spark didn't have what you wanted, then maybe you shouldn't have purchased it.
2017-7-3
Use props
QHovey
lvl.2
United States

Most of DJI software and firmware decisions are made with AC safety as is primary directive. The only position that the Spark knows is safe to land is the Home Point. It also has no idea that the subject that it is Active Tracking is carrying the WiFi signal. This is why everything is Home Point relative.

I too want more distance in my Active Track, and complain about the 100m distance with phone only. It took me a while to take a deep breath and look at it from DJIs perspective. I understand why the limitation is there, but with so many people wanting to track themselves, carrying the WiFi signal with them, you'd hope that maybe one day we get a "Pro setting" that allows us to fly with no Home Point set. This is dangerous on many levels however. The chances of losing signal to your drone and then just saying "happy landing where ever you are!" are way to high. This is why Home Point exist, and as of now, there isn't really a way to operate without them.
2017-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneX4 Posted at 2017-7-3 15:28
Get out of here with that, guy. I want something quick to throw in the air, keep close to me, and active track what I am doing. I know I can attach the controller on my Mavic and do what I would like to do. The whole point of the spark is to be able to launch it quick and get video, images quickly.. I didn't buy it to use it like a Mavic. Or I would have bought the controller. I am trying to improve this by giving suggestions and ideas for things I would like to do with it that should be easily enabled. Nothing wrong with pointing out what I see are flaws. You're too busy with your mouthful of 'Yes Sir DJI' to even contribute in any meaningful way to this discussion. Again, you're not trying to help, just getting your back up and insulting people for absolutely no reason. How dare someone suggest DJI can improve a feature! Pardon me, mr. hallmark007.. it must be difficult to think straight with that scrotum slapping off your chin.

Think you will find you were the first to personally throw insults about. And just like you I made suggestions for improvements. But I don't or won't continue to whinge when it doesn't happen which is what your doing.
I knew before I purchased Spark what I was getting so if improvements come all the better, but I won't loose sleep over it.
You didn't buy it to use like Mavic , but it sounds like you want it to work just like your Mavic . Your now sounding like the baby who has thrown his toys out of the pram because he didn't get his own way fast, you just might need to grow up.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneX4
lvl.3
Canada

QHovey Posted at 2017-7-3 16:09
Most of DJI software and firmware decisions are made with AC safety as is primary directive. The only position that the Spark knows is safe to land is the Home Point. It also has no idea that the subject that it is Active Tracking is carrying the WiFi signal. This is why everything is Home Point relative.

I too want more distance in my Active Track, and complain about the 100m distance with phone only. It took me a while to take a deep breath and look at it from DJIs perspective. I understand why the limitation is there, but with so many people wanting to track themselves, carrying the WiFi signal with them, you'd hope that maybe one day we get a "Pro setting" that allows us to fly with no Home Point set. This is dangerous on many levels however. The chances of losing signal to your drone and then just saying "happy landing where ever you are!" are way to high. This is why Home Point exist, and as of now, there isn't really a way to operate without them.

There is no need to fly without a home point, and I am not suggesting this. The home point should be set on takeoff as normal. 100m is going to take about 10 secs or so for the spark to fly home. What I am talking about is the limitation of active track because of this home point. The spark can fly much further than 100m if it must return home. There is no real need for this distance limitation.
2017-7-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules