3844 11 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Performed functionality testing of Version 4.1.3 of DJI GO 4 App released on 27JUN2017 with a Phantom 4 Pro with latest 01.04.0602 firmware installed using the following four mobile devices:
  • Apple iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular 512GB tablet running iOS version 10.3.2
  • Apple iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular 128GB tablet running iOS version 10.3.2
  • Apple iPad Mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular 128GB tablet running iOS version 10.3.2
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Android version 7.0 and Samsung Experience version 8.1

EQUIPMENT TESTED
  • DJI Phantom 4 Pro (stock unit)
  • DJI P4Pro RC equipped with a DJI HDMI Module
  • Third-party Slip-on Aluminum Windsurfer Parabolic Antenna Reflector (to maximize signal strength during long-distance flights - $30 on eBay, no permanent mods required)
  • DJI Extended Capacity (P4Pro) and Regular Capacity (P4) Batteries

FUNCTIONALITY TESTS PERFORMED
  • Achieved extremely stable live video in AUTO 5.8 GHz HD mode on the iPad Pro 10.5” and the Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone. AUTO HD channel mode was unusable on the iPad Air 2 (see Bug #1, below.) However, achieved extremely stable live video in MANUAL 5.8 GHz HD mode with the iPad Air 2.
  • Successful long-distance flights to 16,000 plus feet maximum distance achieved using the iPad Pro 10.5 (in AUTO 5.8 GHz HD mode), iPad Air 2 (in MANUAL 5.8 GHz HD Mode) and Samsung Galaxy S8+ (in AUTO 5.8 GHz HD Mode) with stable, clear 720P-quality video throughout entire flight out and back with no stutters, lag or green screen and only occasional minimal pixilation.
  • Continuous Auto Focus worked very well throughout flights in both sunny and cloudy conditions.
  • Smart RTH automatically triggered during EVERY long-distance flight at a battery level of ~65% with a 10-second warning delay. I overrode this automatic RTH each time by pressing the C1 button as instructed in a message displayed on the DJI GO 4 app screen. Note: I typically return home when battery level reaches 55%.
  • REQUEST: Reinstate the ability to turn Smart RTH ON or OFF in the app; if DJI wishes to turn this ON by default, that is a good safety feature for newer users, but experienced users would prefer to have the option to set this feature OFF, particularly if they are using something other than DJI GO 4 app to control aircraft for photogrammetry, etc.
  • Precision Landing worked extremely well in both sunny and cloudy conditions with the P4Pro consistently landing within 15 inches (often within 6 inches) of exact take-off point even during take-off and landings with winds up to 12 mph at ground level and 16 mph aloft. NOTE: precision landing performance is enhanced by using programmed RTH heights of at least 30 meters; this gives P4Pro longer to recognize take-off point and make adjustments during descent.
  • The iPad mini 3 was completely unusable with the latest DJI GO 4 app during several attempted flights because the video quickly became unstable after starting recording and message was displayed in DJI GO 4 app live view screen indicating that CPU was loaded to limit and video stability would be compromised (or words to that effect). I guess I will need to retire this mobile device from use with the DJI GO 4 app.
  • Gimbal Horizon was VERY level throughout all flights including long-distance flights with winds aloft up to 16 mph through slow gimbal pans up and down, slow turns up to 360 degrees, and full-stick forward flights at 37 mph in P-GPS mode (exceptions noted in next item). This level gimbal behavior of the P4Pro was achieved with the 01.04.0602 firmware release and it is extremely impressive and much appreciated.
  • Gimbal instability (a sudden, severe roll-over of camera from absolutely level to approx.  a 70-degree tilt to the left and immediate snap back to level) did occur several times during two flights during the following specific conditions:

• Flying to the right above 19 mph with wind coming from front of aircraft
  • Flying into the wind while also turning left
  • Panning gimbal completely down while also flying forward above 20 mph
  • During quick (non-cinematic) yaws (turns) to the left
  • Quick turns during high-speed forward or sideways flight in Sport mode
  • Note: this gimbal instability was observed PRIOR to the latest release of the DJI GO 4 app and is either a bug/issue with the current P4Pro firmware version (01.04.0602) or it is a possibly a mechanical limitation of the P4Pro gimbal hardware. It can be avoided completely by avoiding the flying conditions noted above, but it would be preferable if it could be eliminated with a firmware update, if possible.

SOFTWARE BUGS NOTED DURING TESTING
1.        With the 01JUL2017 DJI GO 4 app running on an iPad Air 2, setting the HD mode to AUTO in either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz transmission frequency results in extremely unstable live video with frequent interruption, stuttering and/or complete loss of live video. This unstable video behavior with the iPad Air 2 in AUTO HD mode is constant and horrible and new to this release of the DJI GO 4 app. Neither turning off Wi-Fi nor turning off cellular service on the iPad Air 2 improves the unstable live video in AUTO HD mode. WORK-AROUND: changing from AUTO to CUSTOM mode in either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz mode and selecting an interference-free channel restores smooth, stable live video. Note that AUTO HD mode yields reliable, stable live video on both a new iOS-based iPad Pro 10.5-inch tablet and on an Android-based Galaxy S8+ phone.

AUTO 5.8 GHz HD mode on my iPad Air 2 worked without problem PRIOR to this update of the DJI GO 4 app and was my standard flying configuration for both short and long-range flights. Based on forum comments from several other users, this unusable, unstable video behavior in AUTO HD mode may be an issue with other mobile devices as well.

BUG RATING: Moderate – extremely annoying, although there is a workaround, and can lead some new users unwilling or unfamiliar with manual channel selection modes to believe DJI GO 4 app is seriously flawed and/or their P4/P4Pro is now useless for video recording; thus, DJI should fix this major bug ASAP.

2.        Flight Records recorded on Android version of DJI GO 4 app running on a Samsung Galaxy S8+ do not appear in the flight records of any iOS device – even after syncing all devices numerous times. However, all flight records made on two iOS devices appear in the flight records of the Android device (Samsung Galaxy S8+) after syncing to the DJI cloud.
BUG RATING: Annoying, but not critical.

3.        Twice during over 70 minutes of recording 4K/60 H.264 video to the same 64GB SanDisk Extreme Plus U3 V30 micro SD card in the Phantom 4 Pro camera, video recording spontaneously stopped to BOTH the mobile device AND to the micro SD card in the P4Pro camera. I noticed this same random and very disconcerting behavior with the 01.04.0602 firmware PRIOR to the latest DJI GO 4 app release, so this is not a NEW bug in the DJI GO 4 app.  I think this may be related to the storage space on the mobile device hitting its programmed target limit even though the app is set to clear space automatically. I caught this the first time it happened but this caused the loss of an entire 20-minute flying session the second time as the video stopped recording 15 seconds into the flight and I didn’t notice recording had stopped until the end of the flight.
BUG RATING: MAJOR/SEVERE – Needs to be fixed ASAP.

4.        The option to quickly and easily calibrate the P4Pro aircraft’s compass from the DJI GO4 app startup screen that appears immediately after entering the DJI GO 4 app “live view” screen has been deleted (intentional change by DJI). WORKAROUND: You can still initiate a compass calibration by tapping on 3-bars menu button on top right-hand corner of live view, going into Aircraft sub-menu, then Advanced, then Sensors. I prefer to recalibrate the compass every time I move to a new location – and have been doing so for two years of flying DJI Phantom aircraft.
BUG RATING: Not a bug, but I request that DJI return this option to the opening screen.

2017-7-2
Use props
UrbanDepartures
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Excellent work chap...
2017-7-3
Use props
andyc57
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184032 ft
United States

im glad to see someone successfully was able update  with no problems to bad the majority of Pilot are having problems so i going to wait so far I'm not having any issue with the old GO app safe flying
2017-7-3
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

andyc57 Posted at 2017-7-3 06:25
im glad to see someone successfully was able update  with no problems to bad the majority of Pilot are having problems so i going to wait so far I'm not having any issue with the old GO app safe flying

Andy,

Yes - if you can delay updating to the latest version of DJI GO 4, I would.  For me and how I fly and record video on my P4Pro, the 4.1.3 update has provided no improvements - just a few new bugs.  Unfortunately, on Apple iOS devices, I have not discovered a way to selectively prevent app updates to specific apps. You can turn app updates off globally, but then none of my hundreds of installed apps get updates and there are an average of 5 app updates released every day for apps installed on all my iOS devices.
2017-7-3
Use props
andyc57
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184032 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-3 10:20
Andy,

Yes - if you can delay updating to the latest version of DJI GO 4, I would.  For me and how I fly and record video on my P4Pro, the 4.1.3 update has provided no improvements - just a few new bugs.  Unfortunately, on Apple iOS devices, I have not discovered a way to selectively prevent app updates to specific apps. You can turn app updates off globally, but then none of my hundreds of installed apps get updates and there are an average of 5 app updates released every day for apps installed on all my iOS devices.

hey TheMann58 i took a chance and my friend it went well no issue with login.. what i did first updated my iPhone no issues connected to the AC got online no Msg from DJI. then update the iPad connected the AC went online no Msg from DJI.  then i took the AC for a test fly. no limit distance or hight limitation msg , i guess i can join the Success club of  GO app upgrade ..  thanks for the reply and safe flying....
2017-7-3
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for your detailed test - much appreciated.

Regarding tablets, last weekend I took out my P4 and P4P. I used an iPad Mini 2 running GO 4.1.3 to pilot the P4, and an iPhone 7 running GO 4.1.3 with the P4P. Both flew fine, with the only issue being with the P4 where I experienced a full disconnect for around 15 secs while it was only ~200m away, and No RTH was initiated by the craft (it just hovered). That was Not how it was configured. Fortunately it then reconnected, and the rest of thee flight went well. The P4P only went as far as 1Klm away, although much of that was around to the other side of a hill - no video loss was experienced.
2017-7-3
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-3 16:32
Thanks for your detailed test - much appreciated.

Regarding tablets, last weekend I took out my P4 and P4P. I used an iPad Mini 2 running GO 4.1.3 to pilot the P4, and an iPhone 7 running GO 4.1.3 with the P4P. Both flew fine, with the only issue being with the P4 where I experienced a full disconnect for around 15 secs while it was only ~200m away, and No RTH was initiated by the craft (it just hovered). That was Not how it was configured. Fortunately it then reconnected, and the rest of thee flight went well. The P4P only went as far as 1Klm away, although much of that was around to the other side of a hill - no video loss was experienced.

Punchbuggy,

So, you were able to fly run latest DJI GO 4 app with an iPad mini 2 and get live video with no problems?  

And yet on myiPad mini 3 with no background apps running, the DJI GO 4 app indicates that the CPU is overloaded.  That's inconsistent. Were you able to use AUTO 5.8 GHz mode without problems on both these iOS devices?  I will test my iPhone 6 today.
2017-7-4
Use props
P4P Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3130 ft
United States

I have limited flight distance of 1000Ft maximum, constant break up of video but what seems like full flight control even though video stream is lost. Stream signal keeps bouncing from good to bad to good to bad on both 5.8 and 2.8 with both auto and one set channel. Very frustrating I have mini iPad 2 with no apps other then Go4 vs 4.1.3 prior to this update I had little to no drop out.
2017-7-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-4 10:30
Punchbuggy,

So, you were able to fly run latest DJI GO 4 app with an iPad mini 2 and get live video with no problems?  

Hi again. To re-clarify, I used the Mini 2 and the latest GO app to fly the P4, so was reliant on 2.4Ghz signal. There's the occasional break-up, and it did disconnect for a long time before it reconnected, but otherwise was OK for 2 flights. No message to say the CPU was overloaded.
The P4P I flew with an iPhone 7 and the latest GO app. Had set to 2.4Hhz (for distance). Faultless flight to other side of a hill and back - 1 Klm away - no break-up.
2017-7-4
Use props
FLIDAHO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2010249 ft
United States

Great thread, thanks to all and especially the OP for the excellent detail included in your posts!
2017-7-5
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

P4P Jim Posted at 2017-7-4 12:06
I have limited flight distance of 1000Ft maximum, constant break up of video but what seems like full flight control even though video stream is lost. Stream signal keeps bouncing from good to bad to good to bad on both 5.8 and 2.8 with both auto and one set channel. Very frustrating I have mini iPad 2 with no apps other then Go4 vs 4.1.3 prior to this update I had little to no drop out.

P4P Jim,

I understand your frustration - I can no longer use my iPad mini 3 with the P4Pro and the latest DJI GO 4 app.  The video is unstable regardless of using AUTO or MANUAL settings and the app indicates that the mobile device CPU is overloaded. Fortunately, I also own a iPad Air 2, which works perfectly in MANUAL channel mode in both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz frequency, and an iPad Pro 10.5, that works in both MANUAL and AUTO channel modes in both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz HD frequency modes.  
2017-7-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-5 19:07
P4P Jim,

I understand your frustration - I can no longer use my iPad mini 3 with the P4Pro and the latest DJI GO 4 app.  The video is unstable regardless of using AUTO or MANUAL settings and the app indicates that the mobile device CPU is overloaded. Fortunately, I also own a iPad Air 2, which works perfectly in MANUAL channel mode in both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz frequency, and an iPad Pro 10.5, that works in both MANUAL and AUTO channel modes in both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz HD frequency modes.

I was reading on another thread that the video link issues aren't being experienced with Litchi. As a new version has just been released (which doesn't require login), I'm going to try that out this weekend, weather permitting. It's possible that the DJI GO app has bloated out of proportion and requires too much CPU on low-powered devices to operate efficiently now.
2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules