Mavic failsafe RTH crash due to loss of RC link.
1236 4 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yakrobat
New
Flight distance : 4659 ft
United States

As I suspect is often the case for first-time posters, I am here to get the comunities take on a crash.
While on the 4th or 5th ever flight of my Mavic, the system dropped RC link and forced the vehicle into failsafe RTH with a subsequent climb into a tree branch resulting in a loss of control with subsequent impact of a concrete driveway.  Immediatly prior the crash, the vehicle was in a low hover approximatly 15 feet away from me, with the nearest RF source being a WIFI router approximatly 75 feet away.

After fixing a corupted video file, I analized the onbard video and, interestingly, it cuts-out right before the vehicle impacts the tree branch.  The app video and flight record both show the video/data cutting out immediatly prior to the vehicle going RTH.

I've attached a trunkated Excel file of the onboard log for the flight in question.  I have my own opinions but I'm curious to see others take on the situation.

FLY016.zip

661.42 KB, Down times: 2

Flight Log

2017-7-2
Use props
Yakrobat
New
United States

Here is the flight log with the header bar for easier reading.

Flight Log.zip

631.34 KB, Down times: 3

Fight Log w/ Header

2017-7-2
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I sympathise with your crash but it is pilot error. No one can guarantee the RC link and it happens in all modes of model flying including fixed wing aircraft. There are just too many variables to contend with. It really is up to the pilot to try and fly in as safe a manner as possible. In the case of the Mavic, it does not have sensors at the sides, back or top and it will enter failsafe according to the settings you have entered. It sounds like it was trying to ascend to the RTH altitude but ran into the tree. This is the risk you take if flying near or under obstacles.
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We really regret for the mishap, please sync your flight record as well and contact our support to create a ticket and then send in your drone. We have professional data analysis team who will figure out the reason of crash and get your drone fixed.
2017-7-3
Use props
Yakrobat
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-2 23:10
I sympathise with your crash but it is pilot error. No one can guarantee the RC link and it happens in all modes of model flying including fixed wing aircraft. There are just too many variables to contend with. It really is up to the pilot to try and fly in as safe a manner as possible. In the case of the Mavic, it does not have sensors at the sides, back or top and it will enter failsafe according to the settings you have entered. It sounds like it was trying to ascend to the RTH altitude but ran into the tree. This is the risk you take if flying near or under obstacles.

I agree with you regarding everything but the pilot error portion.  If the system cuts out for no reason, then the equipment is faulty.  In thousands of hours of flying RC, I have never seen a modern 2.4 radio system fail at close range.  Moreover, a quick Google search using key words specific to the situation I experienced indicates the problem may be systemic.
2017-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules