Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bbeckford
New
Flight distance : 161660 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Got my Spark last week and loving it.

I have one question for you guys though - I have a high amperage battery that I use to charge camera batteries/phone batteries in my backpack and I'd like to use it for my Spark.
Obviously I know I can charge a Spark battery through the micro USB port on the Spark itself, and I have done successfully.

However, is there a known/planned accessory to enable me to charge a Spark battery externally, ie the drone is in flight whilst a spare battery is charging in my backpack? Similar to the Charging Hub but powered over USB? It would be extremely useful!!

Thanks!
2017-7-3
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

There some DJI promotional material at there that depicted some sort of power bank (see attached pic
Capture.JPG
2017-7-3
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-3 02:37
There some DJI promotional material at there that depicted some sort of power bank (see attached pic

This and the four power connectors on the bottom of the battery suggests some kind of docking system coming. It would be awesome to be able to charge a few batteries at once via USB (external battery) but I guess due to the long charge times this wouldn't be very practical. Not when DJI could just release a 12v car adapter for the charging bank.
2017-7-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

I am looking forward for DJI do present a "OFF Spark" 4 pin dock to use with a power bank. i Like the idea of charging my spark an o trip, where there is no  power outlets ,and not needing to charging them thru Spark . But i see they want ME to buy this charging Hub with build inn battery  they didn't present yet .
2017-7-3
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-3 03:59
I am looking forward for DJI do present a "OFF Spark" 4 pin dock to use with a power bank. i Like the idea of charging my spark an o trip, where there is no  power outlets ,and not needing to charging them thru Spark . But i see they want ME to buy this charging Hub with build inn battery  they didn't present yet .

If the price is within reason, I will probably purchase it.  It'll have to be less than $200 USD
2017-7-3
Use props
fabiomota
New
Flight distance : 38337 ft
Switzerland

The charging hub does have a micro USB port. But when I plug in a power bank, the LED on the hub just gets red and it won't charge the batteries (tried with only one battery on the hub and also with two different power banks, one with 1A output and one with up to 2.4A output). Did someone get this two work, or does someone have an idea how this could work?
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I think the usb on the hub is for fw upgrade only. No charging with usb.
2017-7-3
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49078 ft
Malaysia

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 05:31

fw upgrade on the hub? how? I tried to connect via DJI Assistant 2, and it won't recognise....but the led on hub turns green
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

ali86 Posted at 2017-7-3 07:32
fw upgrade on the hub? how? I tried to connect via DJI Assistant 2, and it won't recognise....but the led on hub turns green

This was the answer regarding to the USB port on the Mavic charging hub. So I think it will be the same on the spark hub.
2017-7-3
Use props
Jeff68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96893 ft
Taiwan

The user manual of the Spark charging Hub indicate the micro usb connector on it, is for firmware upgrade.
2017-7-3
Use props
JBoy32
lvl.2
United States

Why Would one want a single charging dock? Unless you can charge the dji 3 slot bank off of the spark bank  pictured above at the same time essentially charging all 4 batteries. Im thinking about getting a 45000mah power bank with DC out/in  and get the car charger and a female socket. With this I could charge my bank from my 60w portable solar array, (charges Galaxy S7 in 2 hours from 0). My current setup allows 10 flights on 3 batteries in a 12 hour window  with at least 6 hours of sunlight charging a 21000mah 2.4 usb output power bank. I could potentially  double up on 2 power banks one charging from the solar array and one bank charging the sparks 3 slot bank that it comes with. Doing so would allow a loop of around one flight per hour all day. Never get lost again! Excited to see what this DJI bank is about nonetheless.
2017-7-3
Use props
JBoy32
lvl.2
United States

Realistically, charging a 45000mah bank from a 2.1 or 2.4 usb solar array would take 2 days of sun. After 2 days of flying on the hour you'll then have to cycle one bank to the solar array, leaving you with 6 flights a day every day from then on. All done on 3 spark batteries.
2017-7-3
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Malaysia

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 07:45
This was the answer regarding to the USB port on the Mavic charging hub. So I think it will be the same on the spark hub.

I see, have you try connecting your spark's hub to DJI Assistant 2? Mine doesn't work, only LED light up...
2017-7-3
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

ali86 Posted at 2017-7-3 16:03
I see, have you try connecting your spark's hub to DJI Assistant 2? Mine doesn't work, only LED light up...

No, I didn't try that. I tried it with Mavics Hub.. No Update via Assistant 2.
2017-7-3
Use props
0dayDJIproblem
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-3
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Buy a 12 v to 110v, 180w  in-car adapter and plug the charge hub. Belkin mightvhave one.
2017-7-4
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/belkin-ac-anywhere-300w-power-inverter-12v-dc-110v-ac-continuous-power/10363243.html
2017-7-4
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

fabiomota Posted at 2017-7-3 05:22
The charging hub does have a micro USB port. But when I plug in a power bank, the LED on the hub just gets red and it won't charge the batteries (tried with only one battery on the hub and also with two different power banks, one with 1A output and one with up to 2.4A output). Did someone get this two work, or does someone have an idea how this could work?

You need to connect the power supply to the charging hub. The microUSB is only for software updates and to charge the remote control. Batteries for the Spark need much more charging power than what a USB port can supply, hence why you need the power adapter.
2017-7-5
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-3 05:31

... and to charge the remote control using the supplied microUSB cord (white).
2017-7-5
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

ali86 Posted at 2017-7-3 07:32

Make sure the power adapter is also connected to the hub. Just the microUSB to the computer is not enough as the hub only gets power from the power adapter.
2017-7-5
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

Jeff68 Posted at 2017-7-3 09:12
The user manual of the Spark charging Hub indicate the micro usb connector on it, is for firmware upgrade.

... and to charge the remote control as well, a microUSB cord was supplied for that purpose (white cord).
2017-7-5
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

ali86 Posted at 2017-7-3 16:03

The power adapter must be connected to the hub as well. The hub does not get power from the microUSB cable.
2017-7-5
Use props
ali86
lvl.2
Malaysia

StarFly Posted at 2017-7-5 11:15
Make sure the power adapter is also connected to the hub. Just the microUSB to the computer is not enough as the hub only gets power from the power adapter.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't say that I'm using the hub connected via microUSB to charge the batteries. I'm just trying to get them connected to DJI Assistant 2 but no prompt / popup or whatsoever. I didn't recognize the hub
2017-7-5
Use props
StarFly
New
United States

ali86 Posted at 2017-7-5 17:19
Thanks for your reply. I didn't say that I'm using the hub connected via microUSB to charge the batteries. I'm just trying to get them connected to DJI Assistant 2 but no prompt / popup or whatsoever. I didn't recognize the hub

Same issue here....
2017-7-7
Use props
wheelfoot
New
United States

StarFly Posted at 2017-7-5 11:14
You need to connect the power supply to the charging hub. The microUSB is only for software updates and to charge the remote control. Batteries for the Spark need much more charging power than what a USB port can supply, hence why you need the power adapter.

This is clearly wrong - you can charge the battery with USB if it is in the drone. Why couldn't you charge it just straight off the USB if that's the case?
2017-7-17
Use props
wheelfoot
New
United States

Terrible design. How hard would it have been for DJI to just install a USB port in the battery itself?? This flaw prevents a true mobile experience.
2017-7-17
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why could there be a hub that can connect to the battery connectors that can in turn be connected to a USB power bank so that I can charge batteries whilst I am flying so to speak. After I have depleted the first battery I could then place it on charge whilst using my spares rather than having to wait till the drone is not in use.

Seems silly I can charge on the go just not at the same time as using the drone! I can do this with my GOPRO Hero 5, have 3 batteries and a docking station so that I can charge spent batteries whilst using the others.

The spark is awesome perhaps the USB port of the dock could be used for charging but might require a firmware update perhaps? I guess it depends on the hardware used in the dock!

Maybe the easiest thing for DJI to do would be make the batteries cheaper, the USB in the battery is a good idea but would mean a bigger design change creating a small charging hub (multiple cables would be best so they could charge batteries where ever they may be stashed in a bag).

I haven't looked but maybe there is an aftermarket hub already!

2017-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules