Inspire 2 GPS Module vs. Garmin Glo for iPad mini 4 (wifi-only)
1445 3 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JesseBrice
New
Flight distance : 3127 ft
United States

Hi,
I'm new to this so fair warning... I just purchased my first drone (DJI I2) and just recieved it. I bought it as a gift for my partner and we took it out for the first flight yesterday (its awesome). We are currently connecting my iPad mini 4 (cellular) to the RC, and that works perfectly... except i can see that being a problem if I need my iPad and he is flying his drone, alone. So I just bought him his own iPad mini 4 (WIFI only). I've been reading a lot of helpful threads about using wifi-only iPads with the Inspire 2 (and other DJI drones) but wasn't quite getting the answer I am looking for. My understanding is that you can pre-load maps onto the iPad, or tether the iPad to your iPhone via wifi for a GPS signal. Another thread recommended purchasing an external GPS reciever that connects to the iPad via bluetooth (such as the Garmin Glo). I noticed that DJI sells their own GPS module for the remote controller. Does anyone have experience with the DJI Inspire 2 - GPS Module? I'm wondering if, instead of purchasing the Garmin Glo (which is $99) for the Wifi-only iPad mini 4 (without GPS), I can just purchase the DJI gps module (which is $29) and connect it to my RC with the ipad and have all the GPS features i may need (such as follow me, return to home, etc.)

Thank you for sticking with me through that whole paragraph and thanks again for any help you can provide!

2017-7-3
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 742126 ft
United Kingdom

The I2 has it's own GPS so will RTH to the take off point.

If you want a dynamic homepoint (say shooting from a moving boat) or to follow the controller, then yes you'll need an external GPS either tablet or the DJI unit will be fine.

Ken
2017-7-5
Use props
JesseBrice
New
Flight distance : 3127 ft
United States

kenavata Posted at 2017-7-5 05:40
The I2 has it's own GPS so will RTH to the take off point.

If you want a dynamic homepoint (say shooting from a moving boat) or to follow the controller, then yes you'll need an external GPS either tablet or the DJI unit will be fine.

Thank you kenavata!
I personally dont see him using the dynamic RTH feature that much, so investing in a  $29 DJI module seems a lot more reasonable than the price jump for the Garmin Glo. It's probably just as reliable, if not more reliable.
2017-7-5
Use props
1HPC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1307700 ft
Denmark

Hello

I have the garmin glo with my ipad 4 mini an it works perfect , i use mobil to find the map first an then i conect the garmin glo . it gives me perfect folow me mode on my inspire 1 pro.
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules