Spotlight Interference?
1534 14 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

So I was shooting some video of the fire works in our little town. I was careful to not fly over the crowd, had in line of sight at all times, and got some great shots of the fire works from about 1300 ft AGL. Everything went great, started to come back to the home point and someone lit up the P4P with a very bright spotlight. It stopped the drone cold in place. It wouldn't move forward and the screen on my iPad was very bright from the light in the camera. It had me quite worried about being able to get the drone back home. After a short time they turned off the light and it resumed course for home. I was descending but was still about 700 ft AGL when this happened.

Can anyone tell me what they think caused it to stop mid-flight? Maybe the spotlight fooled the sensors into thinking there was an obstacle? This scared the bejesus out of me and i need to know if there was something i can do to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks, in advance.
2017-7-3
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I suspect it was a sensor response to the light, as you have already mentioned.  My P4 and P4P often stop when flying toward the sun especially if light is reflecting off water.  I typically just turn the front of the AC away from the light and fly sideways or backwards until the AC gets clear of the area.  The sensors can also be turned off as well.  You were flying in LOS and your Home point compass was still operating, so you should have been able to make it home.  As you gain experience, the adrenaline rushes will decrease.  Love your video and admire your flying skills.
2017-7-3
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Was the camera pointing down or horizontal? First case, it probably was a police car spotlight, second case it was probably from an aircraft or helicopter from Russ McDonald Field... How far were  you from the airport? Were you legal flying at 1300 ft AGL? Were the drone lights on or off?
2017-7-4
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 02:52
Was the camera pointing down or horizontal? First case, it probably was a police car spotlight, second case it was probably from an aircraft or helicopter from Russ McDonald Field... How far were  you from the airport? Were you legal flying at 1300 ft AGL? Were the drone lights on or off?

Did you have a "day time waiver" from the FAA to be able to fly at night?
2017-7-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-4 04:19
Did you have a "day time waiver" from the FAA to be able to fly at night?

Are you asking me?  (Being in Danmark I don't need any FAA waiver and I fly strictly following the Danish rules... )
2017-7-4
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-4 05:48
Are you asking me?  (Being in Danmark I don't need any FAA waiver and I fly strictly following the Danish rules...  )

Sorry, was asking the original poster if he had a waiver. Not sure where he was flying but if in the US he would have needed one.
2017-7-4
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141302 ft
United States

When this happens I believe you can switch to Atti mode which turns off obstacle avoidance and you should be able to continue on.
2017-7-4
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-4 06:16
Sorry, was asking the original poster if he had a waiver. Not sure where he was flying but if in the US he would have needed one.

apparently a place called Heber. Either Arizona, California, Nebraska or Utah. Possibly Arizona (from youtube videos)
2017-7-4
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
United States

It's too bad you can't ask for help without someone wanting to be critical. Daytime waivers are for flying under Part 107 conditions.
2017-7-4
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Rapfife Posted at 2017-7-4 15:49
It's too bad you can't ask for help without someone wanting to be critical. Daytime waivers are for flying under Part 107 conditions.

Yes, and hobbyist flyers cannot fly at night period.
2017-7-4
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
United States

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-4 16:04
Yes, and hobbyist flyers cannot fly at night period.

And I'm sure a smart guy like you can show me where it says that in the FAA guidelines.
2017-7-4
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Rapfife Posted at 2017-7-4 16:19
And I'm sure a smart guy like you can show me where it says that in the FAA guidelines.

I was referring to part 107 but the 1300 AGL he stated was well above the 400 limit, and I doubt he could see that drone clearly as required. In case you didn't catch any of the national news today they arrested a guy flying in a no fly zone above a wildfire out west and charged him with 14 felony counts (he posted his pictures on face book), they also put  guy in jail for 30 days who was flying above a parade last year and his drone fell on a woman causing serious injury. Bottom line is the media is helping to fuel a national outcry to ground drones thanks to a few idiots who think the rules and safety guidelines are for other people. If you think it can't happen just look to the North and ask our Canadian neighbors how their drone flying is going.
2017-7-4
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
United States

Rapfife Posted at 2017-7-4 16:19

Wow and you are the person who wrote this:

Quote:
I am with you all 100%. It is a pointless law that will do little to nothing to improve air traffic safety. But I must admit I understand why some might think passing this type of regulation is important. There are some in our group that gives us all black eyes. In the USA you can't fly over active wild fires yet it happens all too often. Case in point. Right now there is a fire raging near Prescott Arizona. They have had to shut down the slurry bomber flights many times due to thoughtless people flying drones and trying to get pictures. This allows the fire to rage on unimpeded. We need to do a better job of policing our own ranks. I'm not sure how to do that, but until we get the tiny minority of idiot drones operators under control, we can expect more of this type of dumb legislation in Canada and the USA.
Unquote:
2017-7-4
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-4 17:02
Wow and you are the person who wrote this:

Quote:

Perhaps the same group that are giving drone users the black eyes with their negative stories are the same ones that are trying to get photos in restricted areas !!!  Who wants a picture of a wild fire?  The media !
2017-7-5
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

JW5255 Posted at 2017-7-5 02:35
Perhaps the same group that are giving drone users the black eyes with their negative stories are the same ones that are trying to get photos in restricted areas !!!  Who wants a picture of a wild fire?  The media !

or some #@%&*#@ who wants to post it on youtube or FB...
2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules