Spark falling out of sky
49029 576 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans828d3d45
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
I was flying my new DJI Spark when it simply turned off and fell out of the sky. My drone appears to be fine other than scratching, but propellers and battery are broken from fall damage. I was using active track and it displayed "Warning Activetrack flight ended: Cannot find subject" and then shortly after it just dropped and crashed. I am new to DJI drones and am not sure if this is a common issue. How do I find out what may have caused this and how do I have my drone fixed.

Thanks
2017-7-3
Use props
fans828d3d45
lvl.1
United States

Update: I have checked flight logs and battery was on 54% so I am still not sure what caused this
2017-7-3
Use props
Feiyau.lim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Malaysia

Sorry to hear that. Log case to support. I had same situation. Disconnect and dropped. Wasnt using active track though. Didn't come home. Luckily I found it relatively unharmed. Won't let it out of LoS until DJI figure this out. A few cases seen here as well as in DJI Spark FB
2017-7-3
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

How do i log the case to support
2017-7-3
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

And i am assuming they will replace what is broken since it is not pilot error
2017-7-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We are sorry to hear the accident, just to verify, the battery was still on or off when you recovered it?
Please help us export the data from black box and flight log for further analysis.
Please download the latest Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it, then connect the drone to PC, run Assistant 2, you can get the file step by step, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.Firstly, click on "Black Box", save it to local.
Then click on "Data Upload"--"Confirm", choose the log which showing the situation for that moment, and save it to local. Black box.png
F.png
F2.png
2017-7-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Feiyau.lim Posted at 2017-7-3 16:59
Sorry to hear that. Log case to support. I had same situation. Disconnect and dropped. Wasnt using active track though. Didn't come home. Luckily I found it relatively unharmed. Won't let it out of LoS until DJI figure this out. A few cases seen here as well as in DJI Spark FB

Sorry to hear that, may I know you have contacted our support to report this case or not? If so, what's your case number?
If you have not done that, please provide us the log and data from black box for analysis.
Please refer to what I mentioned above to export the file needed, thanks.
2017-7-4
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-4 18:15
We are sorry to hear the accident, just to verify, the battery was still on or off when you recovered it?
Please help us export the data from black box and flight log for further analysis.
Please download the latest Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it, then connect the drone to PC, run Assistant 2, you can get the file step by step, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.Firstly, click on "Black Box", save it to local.

Battery was off when recovered. Have logged case to support and am sending in for repair. Will export data ASAP
2017-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-5 07:48
Battery was off when recovered. Have logged case to support and am sending in for repair. Will export data ASAP

Thank you, please leave me the case number as well at your most convenience.
2017-7-5
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

Just had the same thing happen to me. Battery was at 60-70%. It was hovering in tripod mode at about 100m above my back yard. Suddenly it cut out and dropped like a rock. Unfortunately, I have not been lucky enough to be able to recover it. My back yard is wild growth and is covered in blackberry bushes, weeds, and the occasional tree. I've searched for it for about an hour without any luck. It fell from high enough that I have no idea where it ended up.
DJI, what are my options at this point? How do I report this? Obviously I can't upload flight logs from the drone since I haven't been able to recover it.
2017-7-5
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

would be great if we get to know what was the replied from DJI support after they have reviewed it.
2017-7-5
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
United States

hfog Posted at 2017-7-5 19:28
Just had the same thing happen to me. Battery was at 60-70%. It was hovering in tripod mode at about 100m above my back yard. Suddenly it cut out and dropped like a rock. Unfortunately, I have not been lucky enough to be able to recover it. My back yard is wild growth and is covered in blackberry bushes, weeds, and the occasional tree. I've searched for it for about an hour without any luck. It fell from high enough that I have no idea where it ended up.
DJI, what are my options at this point? How do I report this? Obviously I can't upload flight logs from the drone since I haven't been able to recover it.

Wanted to follow up to say that I have reported to DJI Customer Service and they've communicated back to me. We'll see what happens.
2017-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-5 19:28

We are sorry to hear about your experience.
Would you please sync the flight records via APP and provide me your DJI account (e-mail address) so we can try to check the data for you?
2017-7-6
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

They weren't made in the same factory as the GoPro karma were they?
2017-7-6
Use props
CosminSS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24547 ft
Romania

I've lost the Spark...
I've bought it yesterday....600€ well spent
It was just hovering over my yard...and suddenly i ve received some errors on my iPhone and the drone just disappeared....black out totally...
My yard is wild,my house is under construction...I've followed the location on the map...but i cant find it...this is a disgrace..
what can i say...600€ for 2 days play...
2017-7-6
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-6 00:54
We are sorry to hear about your experience.
Would you please sync the flight records via APP and provide me your DJI account (e-mail address) so we can try to check the data for you?

I'm already in contact with customer support. They're looking into it.
2017-7-6
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

As a first time drone owner. I am a bit concerned about the number of reports of drones flying off, falling out of the sky and basically a lack of control. Whats going on? Is there a fault with the spark?
2017-7-6
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

So many people have this issue but the company choose not to deal with it !
2017-7-6
Use props
CosminSS
lvl.2
Romania

@blackforce
Is a disaster...i was really excited yesterday when he arrived....
And today....
first he felt like a brick from 2m...just black out
And second time....
Hovering at about 49m over my head....the video just freezed and the drone just ..... disappeared...
I've looked till now with my wife...fir about 4 hours,norhing....
This is my first and last DJI product...two fatal errors in the same day...600€ for one day of "play"
Thank You,DJI!
2017-7-6
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-6 07:47
So many people have this issue but the company choose not to deal with it !

Oh they (DJI) deal with by asking for the "Black Box data, then never to be heard from again.
2017-7-6
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-6 08:07
Oh they (DJI) deal with by asking for the "Black Box data, then never to be heard from again.

Data analysis normal....
2017-7-6
Use props
Boah99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13819 ft
United States

I had a similar issue, I had jut taken off and was hovering about 3 ft in the air. Then started moving forward and the spark just fell... Picked it up and it was completely off. Battery was ~80% charged and seated properly. It started right back up, very strange.

In terms of the missing drone, try find my drone in the app. I have seen a few people find their flyaway using that.
2017-7-6
Use props
CosminSS
lvl.2
Romania

I've tried...nothing in the place marked on the map...and the mark is in my yard...nothing at all...
I've looked everywhere...I guess he flew in some unknown direction till the battery died
2017-7-6
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-5 17:52
Thank you, please leave me the case number as well at your most convenience.

Natalia,

my case # is CAS-764860-H0J9N7
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

CosminSS Posted at 2017-7-6 08:24
I've tried...nothing in the place marked on the map...and the mark is in my yard...nothing at all...
I've looked everywhere...I guess he flew in some unknown direction till the battery died

It was in Atti mode it will drift on the wind until crash or depleted battery.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-6 06:20
I'm already in contact with customer support. They're looking into it.

Fine, should you need any further help, please feel free to let me know, thank you very much!
2017-7-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-6 10:29
Natalia,

my case # is CAS-764860-H0J9N7

Thank you very much for the info, we'll keep an eye on it's process.
2017-7-7
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-7 04:08
Fine, should you need any further help, please feel free to let me know, thank you very much!

Thanks Natalia,
My case # is CAS-769770-R9W3Y6 .
I sent an email with all of the required information the day before yesterday but I haven't heard anything more since then beyond an automated acknowledgment email. If you really want to help, you could ask them to provide me with a status update.
Thanks.
2017-7-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-7 14:00
Thanks Natalia,
My case # is CAS-769770-R9W3Y6 .
I sent an email with all of the required information the day before yesterday but I haven't heard anything more since then beyond an automated acknowledgment email. If you really want to help, you could ask them to provide me with a status update.

It takes a little time to get it analyzed, we'll have a support to contact you with the analysis result, please wait patiently, thank you very much for your support!
2017-7-7
Use props
Pablo Semper
New
Argentina

Hola!!!, Pablo les escribe desde Argentina. Me paso lo mismo que les paso a ustedes. Estaba tratando de familiarizarme con mi nuevo DJI Spark, frente a mi, a pocos metros de donde lo volaba, y de pronto cayo como una piedra!!!, por suerte no se daño, pero la verdad que no lo quiero volar mas. Alguien tiene alguna respuesta oficial???. Lo estaba volando sin el celular, con 70/80% de bateria!!, Alguien se le ocurre que puede haber sido?. Saludos!!.

Hello !!!, Pablo writes from Argentina. The same thing happened to you. I was trying to familiarize myself with my new DJI Spark, in front of me, a few meters from where I was flying, and suddenly fell like a stone !!!, luckily not hurt, but I really do not want to fly more. Does anyone have an official answer ???. I was flying it without the cell phone, with 70/80% battery !!, Anyone can think that it may have been ?. Regards!!.
2017-7-9
Use props
Feiyau.lim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Japan

@Dji_Natalia My case still pending outcome. Managed to find drone. Just want to understand root cause. Thanks.  CAS-767742-T3R8W5
2017-7-9
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

follow... would like to know the outcome as well..
2017-7-9
Use props
orbrit
New
United States

Same thing happened to me today. Was descending and rotating in tripod mode, then it went quiet, and dropped like a rock, luckily onto long grass from about 80 feet altitude. Battery was above 35%. One prop popped off but popped back on. Started fine and was flying normal (low altitude) until I landed it.
2017-7-11
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI refuse to look at the issue, finally claim me the repair cost after they said that the data record was stopped suddenly, thats why no further crash data log can be found. (of course no crash log, it was power off itself before dropped on the ground)

Furthermore, the repair cost was more expensive than the refresh price even after discount. Why I had to pay and deduct 1 count of the refresh for the issue of the Spark itself ?

It was so ridiculous.....
2017-7-11
Use props
Andrew Perry
New
Australia

I had the same thing happen to me today on my second flight - falling 6-8m onto a tin roof.  It landed with a thud and was upside down with red lights on all four corners. Now I am getting messages that the Gyro and Accelerometer are disconnected and I can't use it!  The macOS Assistant 2 app won't let me upload the data file because it says my mobile number is "Invalid data", I have PM'd a link to it to @DJI Natalia.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:06
DJI refuse to look at the issue, finally claim me the repair cost after they said that the data record was stopped suddenly, thats why no further crash data log can be found. (of course no crash log, it was power off itself before dropped on the ground)

Furthermore, the repair cost was more expensive than the refresh price even after discount. Why I had to pay and deduct 1 count of the refresh for the issue of the Spark itself ?

What's your case number? I will double check it for you.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

orbrit Posted at 2017-7-11 19:58
Same thing happened to me today. Was descending and rotating in tripod mode, then it went quiet, and dropped like a rock, luckily onto long grass from about 80 feet altitude. Battery was above 35%. One prop popped off but popped back on. Started fine and was flying normal (low altitude) until I landed it.

Have you contacted the support to report it and provided them the data for analysis?
Sorry to hear about the accident.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Andrew Perry Posted at 2017-7-13 02:21
I had the same thing happen to me today on my second flight - falling 6-8m onto a tin roof.  It landed with a thud and was upside down with red lights on all four corners. Now I am getting messages that the Gyro and Accelerometer are disconnected and I can't use it!  The macOS Assistant 2 app won't let me upload the data file because it says my mobile number is "Invalid data", I have PM'd a link to it to @DJI Natalia.

Sorry to hear about that.
Please uninstall the Assistant 2 and download it from this link: http://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
Connect the drone to Mac, login your account then check again.
Besides, we do suggest you contact support to get a case number and send it in: http://www.dji.com/support/product
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Feiyau.lim Posted at 2017-7-9 21:15
@Dji_Natalia My case still pending outcome. Managed to find drone. Just want to understand root cause. Thanks.  CAS-767742-T3R8W5

Sorry for the late reply, I checked your case, the e-mail support has replied you to explain it.
Please feel free to reply the e-mail for any further questions, thanks.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Pablo Semper Posted at 2017-7-9 18:49
Hola!!!, Pablo les escribe desde Argentina. Me paso lo mismo que les paso a ustedes. Estaba tratando de familiarizarme con mi nuevo DJI Spark, frente a mi, a pocos metros de donde lo volaba, y de pronto cayo como una piedra!!!, por suerte no se daño, pero la verdad que no lo quiero volar mas. Alguien tiene alguna respuesta oficial???. Lo estaba volando sin el celular, con 70/80% de bateria!!, Alguien se le ocurre que puede haber sido?. Saludos!!.

Hello !!!, Pablo writes from Argentina. The same thing happened to you. I was trying to familiarize myself with my new DJI Spark, in front of me, a few meters from where I was flying, and suddenly fell like a stone !!!, luckily not hurt, but I really do not want to fly more. Does anyone have an official answer ???. I was flying it without the cell phone, with 70/80% battery !!, Anyone can think that it may have been ?. Regards!!.

Sorry to hear about that, did you contact the support and provide them the data for analysis?
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules