Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark falling out of sky
47607 576 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hfog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-18 04:21
Would you please leave me the link for log?I will forward it to engineers directly.

DJI Natalia,
Dropbox folder has been sent to you via PM.
Update for others:
Today I did finally get a UPS return label. Fingers crossed that things finish better than they started!
Thank you to DJI Support for finally getting that label to me.
2017-7-18
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:19
Sorry to hear about that, have you contacted support to provide the data for analysis?
If no, would you please export the data for me so I can forward it to engineers?
Here are the instructions:

PM'd the dropbox links to you.
2017-7-18
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:06
DJI refuse to look at the issue, finally claim me the repair cost after they said that the data record was stopped suddenly, thats why no further crash data log can be found. (of course no crash log, it was power off itself before dropped on the ground)

Furthermore, the repair cost was more expensive than the refresh price even after discount. Why I had to pay and deduct 1 count of the refresh for the issue of the Spark itself ?

So what happened Ricky??? I thought you posted few weeks ago:

"For me, $700 was not expensive to buy such a "toy grade" drone with tiny size and gesture mode. Perhaps it was not suitable for you."

Is it still suitable for you???  

2017-7-18
Use props
fans422c8903
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1952 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:49
Would you please export the logs firstly so I can forward it to engineers directly for analysis? Sorry for the accident.
1. Download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website page, install it.

I already sent it in, I will let the engineers download the data and examine it.

The time length of this process does not concern me as it does most others. The only thing that concerns me is general drone safety, as well as getting a fair examination of my failed and broken drone. This spark fell beyond 200' onto concrete, a full replacement should be needed, and not a repair.

CAS-803643-V1K0F9

2017-7-18
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

dronist Posted at 2017-7-18 17:47
So what happened Ricky??? I thought you posted few weeks ago:

"For me, $700 was not expensive to buy such a "toy grade" drone with tiny size and gesture mode. Perhaps it was not suitable for you."

Still flying. Although dropped on the ground and they claimed motors, propellers and battery were dead, and I refused to pay for the repair. I found that my Spark was still flying normally without problems.

Its still a good toy grade selfy drone for me to play with. But DJI service was suck ! I had bought refresh care and will claim the refresh if the Spark got problems afterwards.

Don't trust DJI service but the Spark was still good and waiting for the bug fix.
2017-7-18
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

Update: I feel obligated to share my progress as I created the thread and am therefore most likely the furthest along in the process. After requesting my data be analyzed following a repair estimate, DJI has informed me the spark WILL be covered under warranty and they will update me on its progress. I can only speak for myself but it appears DJI is doing the correct thing for customers who experienced this issue. Hopefully DJI can handle everyone elses case in the same manner.
2017-7-19
Use props
fansb31f1926
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8819 ft
United States

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-19 06:58
Update: I feel obligated to share my progress as I created the thread and am therefore most likely the furthest along in the process. After requesting my data be analyzed following a repair estimate, DJI has informed me the spark WILL be covered under warranty and they will update me on its progress. I can only speak for myself but it appears DJI is doing the correct thing for customers who experienced this issue. Hopefully DJI can handle everyone elses case in the same manner.

Thanks for the update Patrick. I appreciate you circling back with the thread.

Jim
2017-7-19
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-19 06:58

Thanks for the update.

Just that so everyone knows this, you did not lose the aircraft and were able to return it for full evaluation, correct?

That means they can compare your flight logs(from controller) to your actual logs in the aircraft. They should be able to then realize that similar flight logs from those of us unable to retrieve aircraft had the same issue. Hopefully they will then warranty those craft as well. I seriously doubt that will happen but never hurts to dream.

I received an email just this morning refusing to replace my aircraft or admit ANY aircraft malfunction.

I'm glad to hear that they are taking care of you and hopefully all others that this has happened to.
2017-7-19
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-19 08:02
Thanks for the update.

Just that so everyone knows this, you did not lose the aircraft and were able to return it for full evaluation, correct?

Correct, did not lose aircraft. I just received another email saying it will be fixed and shipped back to me within 3-6 business days. However it is strange they did not communicate the cause of the crash, but maybe they don't know. Also, my case was escalated which may have affected response time compared to others.
2017-7-19
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

Where did the Mods go? They seemed so fast to respond in the beginning, I only hope that they are working on this issue.
2017-7-19
Use props
hfog
lvl.1
United States

Onomarn Posted at 2017-7-19 08:37
Where did the Mods go? They seemed so fast to respond in the beginning, I only hope that they are working on this issue.

I'm quite sure that DJI is working on a solution.
As I mentioned earlier, I did finally get my shipping label yesterday. I also received a courtesy phone call this morning from a DJI support rep letting me know that they would be expediting my case and that they were on it. All good signs and steps in the right direction.
Fingers crossed.
2017-7-19
Use props
beadbums
New
United States

My Spark fell from the sky too!
Lucky my spark was only 4 ft high, and over grass.
It had been up for only 40 seconds, when the motor just stopped, and it dropped to the ground.
I was using the RC, and all battery's were 100% (including phone battery)
I'm relieved my spark didn't get damaged...
but as a newbie I know am paranoid not knowing why this happen.
Any advice... just would like to know what happen!
2017-7-19
Use props
lyndon_spark
lvl.1
Sweden

I'm eager to buy my Spark but worried about this issue. Hope that DJI can resolve this!
2017-7-19
Use props
frank.owen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151316 ft
United States

Using the remote, there IS a way to intentionally stop the motors in mid-flight by use of a CSC (Combination Stick Command). Perhaps these incidents are related to this feature? Maybe the Spark somehow thought a motor-stop CSC had been issued?
2017-7-19
Use props
hfog
lvl.1
United States

frank.owen Posted at 2017-7-19 13:29
Using the remote, there IS a way to intentionally stop the motors in mid-flight by use of a CSC (Combination Stick Command). Perhaps these incidents are related to this feature? Maybe the Spark somehow thought a motor-stop CSC had been issued?

Seems unlikely because most reports have the AC completely turning off and the emergency stop action only stops the motors and doesn't actually turn off the entire device.
2017-7-19
Use props
frank.owen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151316 ft
United States

hfog Posted at 2017-7-19 13:33
Seems unlikely because most reports have the AC completely turning off and the emergency stop action only stops the motors and doesn't actually turn off the entire device.

Yes, I agree that if all power goes out, it can't be related to motor-stop command. Wasn't sure that was confirmed in some of these cases where AC was not recovered.
2017-7-19
Use props
Matioupi
First Officer
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

it look more like batteries entering hibernation status like described in the FAQ :

"When does a battery enter Hibernation Mode?

When a battery is less than 10% charged, it will enter Hibernation Mode after approximately six hours of nonuse.
When a battery is completely drained, it will enter Hibernation Mode within 10 minutes of turning off. "

but for unplanned conditions outside of the 2 above... and in flight...

i'm trying to imagine crazy (software) conditions that could occur. I had a very short transition to ATTI mode once while I was in a full open sky condition, not a single tree and not close to ground.
if there is some kind of clock resync based on GPS time and get no GPS or GPS loss with false "temporary clocks" could that trigger the hibernation ?
But that should be in conjunction with low battery and some users reported fall with high batteries...
Maybe the start of the watchdog at low battery (that can occur as "noisye battery voltage measurement has forgotten to be resetted when measurements get correct again after the noisy low measurement.
Maybe the watchdog starts for some reason at power on with a low "false" battery event and not resetted later on.

That would be interresting to know after how many time after power on did the fall event occured...

MAybe also it is a mecanical contact break under vibration condition or manufacturing defets of those contact on some batterie batch and/or battery compartment on the AC that do not provide a robust enought contact.
on the AC side, DJI could provide the minimal length the conatcs are supposed to be visibles... On the battery side, this is more complicated to check.

Many hypothesis of course and maybe all wrong...
2017-7-19
Use props
schmots1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3773 ft

United States

Just got my spark today.. Flew through four batteries worth.. on the fifth was still flying, but at about 80% battery the motors stopped (I heard them stop) and it just fell from the sky.  Video recording ended right where it fell from the sky.  I was about 150 feet up (will have to check logs).  Now when I turn it on, I get 4 red lights and it tells me it can't get a gps fix so I can't take off.
2017-7-19
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-18 19:44
Still flying. Although dropped on the ground and they claimed motors, propellers and battery were dead, and I refused to pay for the repair. I found that my Spark was still flying normally without problems.

Its still a good toy grade selfy drone for me to play with. But DJI service was suck ! I had bought refresh care and will claim the refresh if the Spark got problems afterwards.

Hi Mr. rickysuperdog,
I am the guy who posted those thread reacently trying to understand the real cause of the power cut-off midflight. My current thread here showing my suspect for the battery issue: http://forum.dji.com/thread-105214-1-1.html

As you said you still have your Spark, and it is still flying. Therefore, is there any chance for you to help us do a small experiment: Having your Spark hover over something really really soft (mattress for exmaple) in case it fall again, and hover at a very low altitude.
1-First test, use another battery if you have and see if if cut-off during midflight.
2-Second test, use the battery you were using when it fell, does it fall this time? If yes, then we can 100% sure that it is the battery issue that we are dealing with.
If you don't remember which battery, just try them all to see if it fall with any of those batteries.

Again, this is to help all of us in the forum, if you feel not happy to do so, it is fine.
Thank you,
2017-7-19
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Hong Kong

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-19 17:19
Hi Mr. rickysuperdog,
I am the guy who posted those thread reacently trying to understand the real cause of the power cut-off midflight. My current thread here showing my suspect for the battery issue: http://forum.dji.com/thread-105214-1-1.html

After that accident I have tried to fly many times and did not happen again, with all my batteries (3) were tested for several times

As you said I will only fly 5-6 feet high recently to avoid serious damage if drop again. Only for sefly but no other purpose anymore.

Of course if this happen again I will let you know.
2017-7-19
Use props
fans519c7a3d
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HELLO, HAS ANYONE HAD THE DJI GO APP DISCONNECT SUDDENLY WHEN FLYING THE MAVIC PRO WITH A SMARTPHONE AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS,  I ALSO USE MY TABLET MINI 2 AND YET HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THAT, THANKS.
2017-7-19
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Hong Kong

My question was why some got warranty but some do not, including my case ?

2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-18 05:06
Guess DJI Natalia is just going to ignore my request. Customer service is doing the same essentially.

They have apparently decided to refuse to take any responsibility for defective aircraft with mid air shut off if you are unable to retrieve that craft. They know it is an issue by now for sure.

WE checked your case with engineers again and the support sent you several e-mails to explain it for you.
The aircraft was controlled by pilot in GPS mode, the pilot was pushing yaw stick to the right at 03:51, then the flight record ended suddenly without showing any abnormality. We're not able to find out why it happened, so we provide you the best offer according to the after-sales policy.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Six Posted at 2017-7-18 05:24
DJI Natalia >> I have a ticket number of #635300 following my email to DJI support. Support have told me to send my Spark in for a repair after if fell out of the sky as a result of a power down. I supplied the log files to support by I don't get the feeling they have looked at them. Is there any way you can look into this and find out what their analysis of my crash is?

Luckily I was over grass and not too high so there was no damage. Until I know what's going on I'm only flying low and over soft surfaces and certainly not water!!

Since you've provided the logs to support, they will forward it to engineers for analysis.
Just to verify, did you get a case number which should be CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansb31f1926 Posted at 2017-7-18 06:00
My case number is CAS-803499-G7Y5B1. All flight records were synced to the cloud. I sent in my proof of purchase, time of incident, RC serial # and description of the incident.

Your request for me to upload my data from the AC is pointless. I know exactly where the Spark is at the moment but it's under 30 feet of water.

We are sorry for the confusion caused by agent. He should not have asked you to export flight logs since it could not be recovered.
While we have forwarded your info to data analysis team, will review your flight records your synced and let you know the reason why it acted like that.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-18 07:22
Natalia,

Thanks. I am very anxious to have my drone back to fly again, but want to make sure this process is done correctly to prevent future crashes for both myself and others.

I just checked your case again, it's under process recently, hope everything will be addressed shortly so you can get it back to fly soon.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Onomarn Posted at 2017-7-18 07:34
Hi Dji Natalia,

Link for Flight Records: http://app.airdata.com/main?share=IJTmsT

I have forwarded all your info to data analysis team, sorry to have kept you waiting.
Will try our best to speed up the process and contact you for an update.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-18 17:03
DJI Natalia,
Dropbox folder has been sent to you via PM.
Update for others:

Glad to hear that.
Besides, I have forwarded your log to engineers. Hope everything goes smoothly!
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-18 17:27
PM'd the dropbox links to you.

Thanks, I have reported it to engineers, will review the data soon and let you know the result.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans422c8903 Posted at 2017-7-18 17:49
I already sent it in, I will let the engineers download the data and examine it.

The time length of this process does not concern me as it does most others. The only thing that concerns me is general drone safety, as well as getting a fair examination of my failed and broken drone. This spark fell beyond 200' onto concrete, a full replacement should be needed, and not a repair.

Thank you for update, hope everything will be sorted out soon.
Please feel free to let me know if you need any help during the process.
Appreciate your support!
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-19 09:48
I'm quite sure that DJI is working on a solution.
As I mentioned earlier, I did finally get my shipping label yesterday. I also received a courtesy phone call this morning from a DJI support rep letting me know that they would be expediting my case and that they were on it. All good signs and steps in the right direction.
Fingers crossed.

Here is an update:
I asked the engineers to review the data you provided, but it is not the correct one for the accident.
Since you have sent it in, you're not able to export it again.
In that case, we need wait until it arrives, hope your kindly understanding, thanks.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

beadbums Posted at 2017-7-19 10:31
My Spark fell from the sky too!
Lucky my spark was only 4 ft high, and over grass.
It had been up for only 40 seconds, when the motor just stopped, and it dropped to the ground.

Would you please export the correct data which shows the accident as the tutorial below?
You could upload the data to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.

2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

schmots1 Posted at 2017-7-19 15:49
Just got my spark today.. Flew through four batteries worth.. on the fifth was still flying, but at about 80% battery the motors stopped (I heard them stop) and it just fell from the sky.  Video recording ended right where it fell from the sky.  I was about 150 feet up (will have to check logs).  Now when I turn it on, I get 4 red lights and it tells me it can't get a gps fix so I can't take off.

Would you please export the data showing the accident as the tutorial, then upload both data and video to Dropbox?
2017-7-20
Use props
Six
lvl.3
Flight distance : 350486 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 02:10
Since you've provided the logs to support, they will forward it to engineers for analysis.
Just to verify, did you get a case number which should be CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx.

Hi DJI Natalia - No it was the number I got from my interaction by email. How do I get a CAS case number?
2017-7-20
Use props
fansb31f1926
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8819 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 02:12
We are sorry for the confusion caused by agent. He should not have asked you to export flight logs since it could not be recovered.
While we have forwarded your info to data analysis team, will review your flight records your synced and let you know the reason why it acted like that.

Thank you Natalia - I have not heard back via email so anything you can do to move the process along would be appreciated.
2017-7-20
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

frank.owen Posted at 2017-7-19 13:29

What is the CSC?  Same thing how you start it (both to center inward?).
2017-7-20
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:40
Sorry about the accident, would you please export the logs so I can forward it to engineers for analysis?
1. Download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website page, install it.

Here's my flight log for analysis: DropBox Folder
2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-20 08:36
What is the CSC?  Same thing how you start it (both to center inward?).

Yes down and in or down and out.
2017-7-20
Use props
hfog
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 02:45
Here is an update:
I asked the engineers to review the data you provided, but it is not the correct one for the accident.
Since you have sent it in, you're not able to export it again.

I'm pretty sure it was the correct incident but either way they will shortly have the aircraft and they can pull it again if they need to.
2017-7-20
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 02:08
WE checked your case with engineers again and the support sent you several e-mails to explain it for you.
The aircraft was controlled by pilot in GPS mode, the pilot was pushing yaw stick to the right at 03:51, then the flight record ended suddenly without showing any abnormality. We're not able to find out why it happened, so we provide you the best offer according to the after-sales policy.

So please have the engineers compare my flight logs with the logs they have reviewed from aircraft with the same issue that were returned to DJI. Can they explain how the flight logs differ? I'd be interested to know what they think happened to my aircraft.

IF it did shut off and fall into the lake would the log be any different than the one I submitted?

2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules