Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark falling out of sky
47604 576 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

In line with the bad battery batch theory, I did fly at the club field yesterday using all 3 batteries from the spark that had crashed. No problems from any of the 3 batteries, just like in previous flying except the one crash. I also flew with my new Fly-more spark that came with 2 batteries. No problems. The original spark came with the 1 battery, and we bought 2 other batteries from a local dealer. Those 2 batteries were, obviously, from a different production batch.

My thought is this: I have read a post where the person said it definitely was the individually purchased battery that failed and not the one that came with his spark. It is also possible that my crash happened with one of the later purchased batteries.

PLEASE, ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A MID-AIR POWER-OUT CRASH, please post if you had only original batteries or were using a later-purchased battery. This might help determine if there is a possibility of a bad batch of batteries causing this issue, or if that theory can be eliminated. If people have power failures with the battery(s) that came with the spark, then it lowers the chance of a bad production batch of batteries. At least we would know that.
2017-7-20
Use props
BIG MAC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 384088 ft
United Kingdom

You're not the only one here that is suffering buddy.
2017-7-20
Use props
schmots1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3773 ft

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-20 03:00
Would you please export the data showing the accident as the tutorial, then upload both data and video to Dropbox?
https://youtu.be/ngEHdAlAh9A

CAS-811849-W1S4D4 

dropbox link to black-box, logs, and video I was filming when it powered off

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldstt ... eafJ58AlVKnR7a?dl=0

Using a battery that came with my flymore bundle
2017-7-20
Use props
schmots1
lvl.1

United States

DJI will be sending me a shipping label.. then I get to send it in and be without it for two weeks.  Just long enough to not be able to return it if it is defective.  Even if it comes back fixed, can we trust a drone that has dozens of cases of just falling from the sky?
2017-7-20
Use props
schmots1
lvl.1

United States

Also I started my support case via the web chat then went to the phone.. and the web guy put my name in as Miguel Sanz.. its not.. its David B.  how do you get something so wrong.. you even have to type it into the chat to start the chat.  The phone guy told me it was fixed but my support RMA email came to Miguel.. I am on chat support again trying to get it fixed.
2017-7-20
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Seems some of the recent power off cases were covered by the warranty. But how about the previous cases ? What is the basis of judgement  and  the flight log differences ?
2017-7-20
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696 ft
United States

It just happened to me too! I had just received it after buying online, got the batteries charged (2 that came with the kit and one more) and went fly it carefully outside. After a couple minutes flying I activated the return home function and it started to descend slowly then suddenly engines stopped and it dropped like a rock on the roof. I was using a RC and not sure if the battery was one from the kit or if it was the one I ordered extra at the DJI online store.

w ww.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/ (don't know why can't post URLs)

Sending it in for repair but i'm leaving the US in 15 days. Really hope they get it fixed and back by then. 

2017-7-20
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

Definitely not a good day today. Can't even get Assistant 2 to save the blackbox locally on the Mac... It connects to the Spark but says "Exporting..." forever. I've left it there for more then 15 minutes and tried 3 times.

Was seriously expecting more from DJI.
2017-7-20
Use props
hfog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-20 20:30
Definitely not a good day today. Can't even get Assistant 2 to save the blackbox locally on the Mac... It connects to the Spark but says "Exporting..." forever. I've left it there for more then 15 minutes and tried 3 times.

I had that problem as well. Try rebooting your computer. There's a special USB driver that has to be installed for Assistant 2 to work properly and if you just installed it, it may not be working properly until you reboot. Your mileage may vary but that did it for me.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Six Posted at 2017-7-20 04:28
Hi DJI Natalia - No it was the number I got from my interaction by email. How do I get a CAS case number?

How about the status recently? Did you hear back from e-mail support?
If no, please leave me your e-mail address so I can check it for you, thanks.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansb31f1926 Posted at 2017-7-20 07:42
Thank you Natalia - I have not heard back via email so anything you can do to move the process along would be appreciated.

May i have your e-mail address or ticket number?
I'll check the status for you.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-20 09:12
Here's my flight log for analysis: DropBox Folder

May I know you have contacted support to create a case number or not?
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

schmots1 Posted at 2017-7-20 14:44
CAS-811849-W1S4D4 

dropbox link to black-box, logs, and video I was filming when it powered off

Thanks, I have added the info into your case, we'll help you analyze it then contact you for an update.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

schmots1 Posted at 2017-7-20 15:12
Also I started my support case via the web chat then went to the phone.. and the web guy put my name in as Miguel Sanz.. its not.. its David B.  how do you get something so wrong.. you even have to type it into the chat to start the chat.  The phone guy told me it was fixed but my support RMA email came to Miguel.. I am on chat support again trying to get it fixed.

Sorry for the trouble caused, I checked your case, everything looks normal now.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-20 19:23
It just happened to me too! I had just received it after buying online, got the batteries charged (2 that came with the kit and one more) and went fly it carefully outside. After a couple minutes flying I activated the return home function and it started to descend slowly then suddenly engines stopped and it dropped like a rock on the roof. I was using a RC and not sure if the battery was one from the kit or if it was the one I ordered extra at the DJI online store.

w ww.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/ (don't know why can't post URLs)

We'll take care of your drone after it arrives, please feel free to let me know if you need any help during the whole process, thanks.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-20 20:30

May I know you managed to run Assistant 2 finally?
Please make sure you download it from here: http://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
You could try to unplug the USB cable and plug it in again or restart the computer.
2017-7-21
Use props
orbrit
New
United Kingdom

orbrit Posted at 2017-7-11 19:58
Same thing happened to me today. Was descending and rotating in tripod mode, then it went quiet, and dropped like a rock, luckily onto long grass from about 80 feet altitude. Battery was above 35%. One prop popped off but popped back on. Started fine and was flying normal (low altitude) until I landed it.

Adding additional info:

Original and only battery
Flying with iPhone only
Tripod mode
Descending from 142'

Power shut off completely

I'm in Europe on vacation so will not be able to upload logs until I return.
2017-7-21
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-20 14:07
In line with the bad battery batch theory, I did fly at the club field yesterday using all 3 batteries from the spark that had crashed. No problems from any of the 3 batteries, just like in previous flying except the one crash. I also flew with my new Fly-more spark that came with 2 batteries. No problems. The original spark came with the 1 battery, and we bought 2 other batteries from a local dealer. Those 2 batteries were, obviously, from a different production batch.

My thought is this: I have read a post where the person said it definitely was the individually purchased battery that failed and not the one that came with his spark. It is also possible that my crash happened with one of the later purchased batteries.

I was using original batteries from fly more combo
2017-7-21
Use props
fansb31f1926
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8819 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-21 02:46
May i have your e-mail address or ticket number?
I'll check the status for you.

Natalia - My ticket Number is CAS-803499-G7Y5B1
2017-7-21
Use props
fans8e84a610
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45988 ft
United States

Almost the exact same thing happened to me guys. What a horrible day. I was using the controller to fly the spark that came with the fly more combo. I had flown it atleast 10 times.  Some little issues but nothing major. I ordered a third battery. I wS at around 60% battery life about 50-75 feet in the air and it just completely shut off and dropped to the ground. I had no stick input at all when it fell. I was just coming out of tripod mode. It was my first flight with my new third battery I finally got a week after receiving the fly more combo with the spark.  Fully calibrated as well as the imu. Plenty of battery power left in the battery. I'm not new to dji drones. I own several. This is my first gut wrenching crash in 3 years. I sent the battery and the spark back to dji for diagnostics. They are both obviously bad at this point ( spark and battery ) after falling 60 feet in the middle of a wide open terrain. Nothing but trees around. So I'll wait on dji to look at it and send me a new battery and drone."HOPEFULLY"
2017-7-21
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Hong Kong

fans8e84a610 Posted at 2017-7-21 08:04
Almost the exact same thing happened to me guys. What a horrible day. I was using the controller to fly the spark that came with the fly more combo. I had flown it atleast 10 times.  Some little issues but nothing major. I ordered a third battery. I wS at around 60% battery life about 50-75 feet in the air and it just completely shut off and dropped to the ground. I had no stick input at all when it fell. I was just coming out of tripod mode. It was my first flight with my new third battery I finally got a week after receiving the fly more combo with the spark.  Fully calibrated as well as the imu. Plenty of battery power left in the battery. I'm not new to dji drones. I own several. This is my first gut wrenching crash in 3 years. I sent the battery and the spark back to dji for diagnostics. They are both obviously bad at this point ( spark and battery ) after falling 60 feet in the middle of a wide open terrain. Nothing but trees around. So I'll wait on dji to look at it and send me a new battery and drone."HOPEFULLY"

Hope you got warranty cover, mine no luck....
2017-7-21
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-21 02:47
May I know you have contacted support to create a case number or not?

No not yet, I'm waiting to see if there's a software update to fix this.
2017-7-21
Use props
fans8e84a610
lvl.1
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:06
DJI refuse to look at the issue, finally claim me the repair cost after they said that the data record was stopped suddenly, thats why no further crash data log can be found. (of course no crash log, it was power off itself before dropped on the ground)

Furthermore, the repair cost was more expensive than the refresh price even after discount. Why I had to pay and deduct 1 count of the refresh for the issue of the Spark itself ?

Can you rewrite this. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what happened because of the errors in the text you wrote.  I'm trying to compare your situation to myne. They sound very much alike. It's a terrible situation.
2017-7-21
Use props
fans8e84a610
lvl.1
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-21 08:26
Hope you got warranty cover, mine no luck....

That's almost my exact situation that you went through. The power was cut suddenly and the drone fell. Atleast that what it looked like. What did dji say to you. What wS thier response. ?
2017-7-21
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-20 14:07

nwhit,

I believe I was using a battery purchased from Advexure, but Healthydrones says SPARK battery #1 (original) I don't think that is right as it also says I had 26 flights on just that battery alone. I have (had) 5. I think even Healthydrones is unable to accurately interpret info from the SPARK
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-21 03:32
We'll take care of your drone after it arrives, please feel free to let me know if you need any help during the whole process, thanks.

Good to know. Really need to have it back soon as I leave to US in 15 days. I had bought it to make some cool videos with it while in the Pacific Northwest.

For now, I can't upload the blackbox logs. It says "Server error. Retry submitting" when I try to upload the logs with Assistant 2. DJI is REALLY complicating my life. I was expecting better quality products and software. I've spent so many hours on this yesterday and today. Really thinking of a refund if I can't get a new one soon, unfortunately.

Case number is CAS-815766-L7S6T2
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-21 03:33
May I know you managed to run Assistant 2 finally?
Please make sure you download it from here: http://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
You could try to unplug the USB cable and plug it in again or restart the computer.

I did get to save the logs locally after restarting, now the problem is sending it to the cloud.

See image
http://imgur.com/a/486iR
2017-7-21
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-21 12:09
nwhit,

I believe I was using a battery purchased from Advexure, but Healthydrones says SPARK battery #1 (original) I don't think that is right as it also says I had 26 flights on just that battery alone. I have (had) 5. I think even Healthydrones is unable to accurately interpret info from the SPARK

Unfortunately, one replier has said he was using the battery that came with the spark. That doesn't eliminate the batteries as the cause of the problem, but it likely mostly rules out a specific battery batch (although not totally). Hopefully DJI is figuring this thing out. I really need to use this thing over water next week!
2017-7-21
Use props
Efrommel13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73606 ft
Puerto Rico

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-21 16:33
Unfortunately, one replier has said he was using the battery that came with the spark. That doesn't eliminate the batteries as the cause of the problem, but it likely mostly rules out a specific battery batch (although not totally). Hopefully DJI is figuring this thing out. I really need to use this thing over water next week!

Just received mine and going to fly tomorrow, i hope i dont get any issues. I hope dji drops an update for this fast i dont was to lost my drone on a lake or the ocean.
2017-7-21
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-21 16:33

Hi, I am not so sure that would eliminate the battery as the root cause Or that even worse: saying that we can even get the bad battery with the combo...

Anyway, since DJI already promised for a firmware update next week, we will patiently wait and see
2017-7-21
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

I've read that many people had drone in tripod mode or coming out of it.... maybe that is one of the causes?
What is tripod mode?  I don't get what it's used for.
2017-7-21
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-21 20:39
I've read that many people had drone in tripod mode or coming out of it.... maybe that is one of the causes?

That could be an issue,I will make my time and try Tripod today.
Tripod mode reduces the speed so that you can get the smooth video when recording
2017-7-21
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Hong Kong

fans8e84a610 Posted at 2017-7-21 11:44
That's almost my exact situation that you went through. The power was cut suddenly and the drone fell. Atleast that what it looked like. What did dji say to you. What wS thier response. ?

flight log suddenly stopped at the middle, cannot analysis. Warranty not cover and I have to pay for the repair or claim the refresh care.

of course I don't accept !
2017-7-22
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Hi There. Yesterday i fly the spark. all of sudden it shut off and dropped like a dead body. battery fully charged. the flied was only 3 minutes on sky. very sad.
2017-7-22
Use props
fansb3a79777
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323235 ft
United States

Yea that's crazy Ricky, we all know this is a known issue.  Dji knows it's a ongoing issue I don't know why they try to sound defensive instead of providing good customer service I am a owner of a phantom and a spark had this park for 3 weeks haven't flown it once due to these forms I've written DJI several emails and they haven't responded to none of my questions
2017-7-22
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-4 18:15
We are sorry to hear the accident, just to verify, the battery was still on or off when you recovered it?
Please help us export the data from black box and flight log for further analysis.
Please download the latest Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it, then connect the drone to PC, run Assistant 2, you can get the file step by step, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.Firstly, click on "Black Box", save it to local.

My spark too shut off and fell like a dead body yesterday. very sad
2017-7-22
Use props
matteotarenghi
New
Flight distance : 25315 ft
Italy

Hi
yesterday I've done the first flight with my new Spark arrived just two days ago.
I've bought the fly more combo and then I was testing both the two batteries
The batteries arrived both on hibernation mode so they have been charged one full night before flying
After on first flight with no issue at low altitude I've switched the battery and tested some high altitude flight
Rised the drone till around 21 m, while I was descending, all of a sudden all the rotor switched off and the drone fell from around 15 m
hopefully it landed on grass so I've no damage
The battery was anyway on and it went on recording some footage
I'm now refreshing the firmware on both batteries (the actual firmware is V01.00.0400), collect the logs and send them to the technical support
I will make some more flight today and, I hope, will not suffer again the issue
Otherwise I will ask for a replacement of the drone
2017-7-22
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

matteotarenghi Posted at 2017-7-22 03:36
Hi
yesterday I've done the first flight with my new Spark arrived just two days ago.
I've bought the fly more combo and then I was testing both the two batteries

Can you share us the flight log and the video before it dropped? Thanks
2017-7-22
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-21 20:39

Hi, I just tried the Tripod few minutes ago, at low altitude though. Also do the recording while in the tripod mode. No sign of error in Tripod mode for now. Also, just one test flight will not say anything.  Will try some more flight in tripod mode to see.
2017-7-22
Use props
matteotarenghi
New
Flight distance : 25315 ft
Italy

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-22 03:44
Can you share us the flight log and the video before it dropped? Thanks

Hi
tried to save the log with Assistant 2 but I found no file
actually the video is of little help since the recording stopped almost as soon as it started dropping down
Can not say if stopped by itself or accidentally switched off the record
2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules