Is Phantom car charger compatible with Insipire 1 batteries?
2545 23 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hykdesign
lvl.1

South Korea

Is Phantom car charger compatible with Inspire 1 batteries?

I wonder if DJI has plans to release a car charger for the Inspire too.
It would be great to recharge batteries while moving to the next destination.
2015-3-18
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I don't think so, but lets wait for answers of more active users!
2015-3-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Not sure , I have never owned a Phantom. But the first thing you need to know about the Inspire 1 charger is that it is not a charger, it's a power supply. The actual charging circuit is built in to each smart battery. The black box you get is actually a regulated power supply. You ( may ) be able to employ a pure sign wave inverter and use you included power supply. It will need a minimum of 200 watts. Hope this helps. Oh, please be advised DJI may not agree with this warranty wise.
2015-3-18
Use props
robyn707.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-19 00:06
Not sure , I have never owned a Phantom. But the first thing you need to know about the Inspire 1 ch ...

I bought a 200 amp inverter to use in charging my Inspire batteries.  Current draw was sufficient to blow the accessory (cigarette lighter) fuse under the hood. I now have a deep cycle marine battery in the trunk of the car hooked up to a 1000 amp inverter. Not ideal, but works in the field.
2015-3-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Why so big? Remember the formula amps x volts equals watts? You only require 2 amps @120 volts AC. And 20 amps @ 12volts. The key is to end up with 125% of intended power use so the device does not overheat.
2015-3-18
Use props
robyn707.gmail
lvl.1

United States

20 amps at 12 volts blows the cigarette lighter fuse.  Besides, I wanted to charge more than a single battery at a time.  I had hoped the 200 Watt inverter charging through the lighter would be sufficient to at least charge one battery "on the go" between sites.  No such luck.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry my friend, two different animals. The Phantom is a 11.1 Volt Battery at 5200 mAh. The Inspire is a 22.8 Volt Battery at 5700 mAh on the TB 48 and on the TB 47 22.2 Volt Battery at 4500 mAh.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

robyn707.gmail Posted at 2015-3-19 00:17
I bought a 200 amp inverter to use in charging my Inspire batteries.  Current draw was sufficient  ...

I would bet that you have a bad Inverter on your hands.
2015-3-20
Use props
robyn707.gmail
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-21 01:38
I would bet that you have a bad Inverter on your hands.

Doubt that...2 different inverters caused same problem.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

robyn707.gmail Posted at 2015-3-21 01:27
20 amps at 12 volts blows the cigarette lighter fuse.  Besides, I wanted to charge more than a singl ...

You must wire large inverters directly to the battery or alternator, I would choose the battery. Use at least 8 guage copper wire... The fat stuff for welders. Where you penetrate the firewall ensure you have a fuse in the event the wiring gets worn or you WILL have a nasty car fire! I have this exact configuration for my HAM gear in my truck. Trust me when you have large capacity low resistance wire connected to your car battery you will get a fire if it shorts out, you can weld a wrench to your engine with a car battery. So don't be cheap with the fuse, by a good one.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

There is no electrical circuit in a car that will demand the current you ar trying to deliver, so remember this as well your alternator is not designed for continuos output at that high of a demand, many folks with huge car stereos have an additional battery and a heavy duty alternator installed to deal with the high current demand. You will require the car to idle for the entire charge cycle or you will damage your car battery.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

robyn707.gmail Posted at 2015-3-21 02:05
Doubt that...2 different inverters caused same problem.

That is a lot of current my friend. Guess you will have to stick to your method in use now. What voltage is your car? I have an idea if it is 12 VDC?
2015-3-20
Use props
robyn707.gmail
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-21 02:44
That is a lot of current my friend. Guess you will have to stick to your method in use now. What v ...

Yep 12v DC
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hang on for a minute and let me grab the item from my truck.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Check this out: JNC660 12 Volt Power Supply and Jump Starter. This has boocoo capacity and current. It will start a Diesel Engine with a completely dead Battery. You can recharge it from your car 12 VDC  Socket or 120 VAC. It is an amazing power source for the money. I bought mine from a Snap-on Tool Dealer. All of the Car Dealers use this model along with AAA. If you go with it let us know how you make out? I am sure it will power your Inverter.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

rodger Posted at 2015-3-21 04:27
Check this out: JNC660 12 Volt Power Supply and Jump Starter. This has boocoo capacity and current ...

Rodger, I'm not sure i would go that route, the car jump start mode on a battery charger is a capacitor circuit. Capacitors do not deliver a regulated supply of power. They charge and discharge, charge and discharge over and over very quickly. The direct connection to battery method will work fine, it just requires that you keep the dinosaurs burning while you charge. Any time you run a power cable throw a metal firewall or bulkhead a rubber bushing should be used, but like all things they are not fool proof and the wire could ground out on your chasis. A fire will follow. Therefore a fuse is required between the power source and the firewall. Do NOT cheat this. The wire size you will need will melt down your car battery and burn the sheathing off the wiring. If you use too small of a wire for your amperage need the resistance will be too high and the wire will get hot, ( like a light bulb element ) hence the need for fat wiring. It will work trust me.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

oh, forgot, to make this easy all you need can be found at your local boom box installers shop. 12 volt stereo systems can demand even bigger power. the math is simple and the installers can set you up right proper.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-21 05:25
Rodger, I'm not sure i would go that route, the car jump start mode on a battery charger is a capa ...

Your opinion. He is looking for power to run his inverter. I feel that this product will accomplish what he needs. If he grabs the 12 VDC from his car 12 VDC the jump starter will filter and regulate the input and output supply. It is worth a shot. Preferably spare Batteries would be the choice. In my flights an hour of  flight time is plenty. There for a couple of TB 48 would be plenty.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rodger, I'm not sure i would go that route, the car jump start mode on a battery charger is a capa ...

To each his own. He is reaching out and I am giving my input. Could be all wet, but going yhrough the options.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Giver! Snot like I don't know anything anyways! Just sayin' there ain't no need for the car jumper, the battery will do.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-21 14:43
Giver! Snot like I don't know anything anyways! Just sayin' there ain't no need for the car jumper,  ...

Yes it will and sounds like he is going to go that route. Curiosity is the mother of all invention!
2015-3-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Fat wiring, you mean the Gauge of the wire. The diameter of the conductor goes like this. The lower the Gauge (number) the more current it can handle. 26 Gauge is like the Telephone wire in your home and will handle very little current. Normal home wiring is 14 Gauge. If you know the current (amps) needed and the voltage just google the numbers and you will find a chart that will give you the Gauge of Wire needed.
2015-3-21
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

rodger, Rodger... the gauge you use should be a tad larger than recommended. Copper ain't cheap and neither are the fuses. you can get press on ends but solder them anyways. You can also wrap them with heat shrink and use dielectric grease on your battery connections to prevent corrosion. That grease is a smart idea for all battery users!  I run 8 gauge on all my amps, yep its fat but then I never need to worry about cooking my wire. It is also best to install a second fuse at the charging point, but that is up to you. Good luck, have fun and remember this rule... never test with your tongue, that's why they make car batteries with posts 8 inches apart, so us hillbillies don't hurt ourselves!
2015-3-21
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Oh, and while Rodger is correct he made the distinction using 120 volt wiring, 12 volt is a different beast! so ensure the Amperage is rated for wire using 12 Volts DC not 120 AC.
2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules