Help, can't fly more than 30m in any direction!
7473 39 2017-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Trying my new googles with my P4P and its like it is in beginner mode and I don't see any to get it to normal mode.  I see nothing in the inadequate manual to help.

I did update to the most current firmware still locked in the 30m restriction.
2017-7-4
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Go through this and you are back to normal:
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... nd-firmware-updates
2017-7-4
Use props
fans080bf831
New
United Kingdom

hi there mine wont turn in hdmi  and  disconects with the usb cable ??
2017-7-4
Use props
fans080bf831
New
United Kingdom

can any one help me ????
2017-7-4
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

I've now tried logging off then back on with both the googles and the Aircraft.  No change!
2017-7-4
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-4 10:40
Go through this and you are back to normal:
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-updates-process-for-activating-software-and-firmware-updates

I've now tried logging off then back on with both the googles and the Aircraft.  No change!
2017-7-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GreenHornet55 Posted at 2017-7-4 15:53

Are you in 'beginner' mode by any chance ?
2017-7-4
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-4 16:17

When I use my iPad with DJI Go 4, I am not in beginner mode.  When I switch to the googles it's like it changes to beginner mode, and no where that I can find is there a beginner mode for the googles.

2017-7-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GreenHornet55 Posted at 2017-7-4 18:11
When I use my iPad with DJI Go 4, I am not in beginner mode.  When I switch to the googles it's like it changes to beginner mode, and no where that I can find is there a beginner mode for the googles.

You have activated your Goggles using DJI Assistant 2 ?
2017-7-5
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-5 00:46
You have activated your Goggles using DJI Assistant 2 ?

Yes I have, and updated them!
2017-7-5
Use props
Timothyimagery
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1090961 ft
Australia

Its probably this issue http://forum.dji.com/thread-103219-1-1.html
2017-7-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GreenHornet55 Posted at 2017-7-5 15:58
Yes I have, and updated them!

I'm scratching here, I don't have goggles myself (at least, not yet :-) ), You use DJI Go 4 and have logged into your account (ensures that DJI pre-set limitations that came with latest firmware are disabled) ?

I'm assuming there is no distance limit set in the goggles ? For example, in DJI Go 4 you can activate a distance limit ('enable Max Distance'), and have a pre-set value of anything up to 3000m.
2017-7-5
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-5 16:16
I'm scratching here, I don't have goggles myself (at least, not yet :-) ), You use DJI Go 4 and have logged into your account (ensures that DJI pre-set limitations that came with latest firmware are disabled) ?

I'm assuming there is no distance limit set in the goggles ? For example, in DJI Go 4 you can activate a distance limit ('enable Max Distance'), and have a pre-set value of anything up to 3000m.

I am too, so far no answer from DJI, must ha a holiday in China too!
2017-7-6
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

I spent 45 minutes texting back and forth with a "technician".  I'm not sure he has ever seen DJI Googles, needless to say using the googles I still cannot fly anymore than 30 m in any direction.
2017-7-6
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

I am actually in the same boat. Have updated everything and goggles will not allow me more than 30 m in any direction. When I use an iPad I can fly unrestricted. I'd like to get this resolved too.
2017-7-7
Use props
Doc1time757
lvl.1
Flight distance : 876263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Connect your phone and turn on the bird. After it connects, turn off the phone, but do not turn the bird off.
2017-7-8
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

It's worth a try, when I get home on Tuesday I'll see if it works!
2017-7-8
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

Doc1time757 Posted at 2017-7-8 03:09
Connect your phone and turn on the bird. After it connects, turn off the phone, but do not turn the bird off.

2017-7-8
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
United States

GreenHornet55 Posted at 2017-7-8 04:23

This method worked for me. I wish I didn't have to do it this way but I suppose it's the only way right now.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to use the goggles more than the 30 meters without having to connect their phone first, turn on goggles, disconnect phone from remote and plug in goggles to remote, turn off phone method?

I'd really like to be able to connect goggles to remote, turn on bird, remote and goggles and fly without restriction.

I wish someone from DJI would comment on this issue.
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BVB Posted at 2017-7-8 08:08
This method worked for me. I wish I didn't have to do it this way but I suppose it's the only way right now.

I'm wondering if anyone is able to use the goggles more than the 30 meters without having to connect their phone first, turn on goggles, disconnect phone from remote and plug in goggles to remote, turn off phone method?

I'm curious, is that not just a one off initialisation event ?

2017-7-9
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definite major bug in the DJI Goggles firmware. I have activated and updated Goggles using DJI Assistant 2 with Goggles connected via USB to my desktop PC.  In testing today, I was limited to 150 feet maximum distance from home point during all test flights with Goggles connected to the P4 RC via USB cable.  Note: there is no way to log in to the DJI server when Goggles are connected like this directly to the RC USB port and no tablet is connected to the RC.

Then, during my first battery test flight with the DJI Goggles connected to my P4 Pro RC via USB, I WAS able to fly out several thousand feet, was able to fly at 44 mph in Sport mode and was able to rise up to 400 feet elevation with no distance or height limitations.  BUT... on the second battery flight with my P4 Pro I could fly no further than 149 feet distance and the Goggles app screen displayed message "maxumum distance reached."  WTH! I could fly only very slowly as I approached 149 feet radius from home point.  So, THIS IS A MAJOR BUG.  The inconsistency between first flight with zero distance/height limitations and second flight with severe limitations clearly indicates this is a software bug.

This random severe distance limitation combined with the awful, pixelated, apparent resolution I was getting in ALL live video modes via USB connection to both my P4 and P4Pro RCs (720px60, 720px30, and 1080px30, which all "looked" no better than 640x400 or less) and these new, eagerly awaited Goggles will be going back to Best Buy for a refund unless a fix is identified soon.  ALL live video modes using USB connection to P4 or P4Pro RC were frequently pixelated during flight and looked far inferior to the resolution on my iPad Air 2 when flying without the Goggles connected. Only useable video resolution I could achieve was with the Goggles connected to the HDMI port on the HDMI module installed on my P4Pro RC. Unfortunately, this was a VERY DISAPPOINTING first impression of these updated and activated DJI Goggles during 6 hours of testing at site today.
2017-7-9
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 07:10
I'm curious, is that not just a one off initialisation event ?

No. There appears to be no way around it right now. In order to fly while using the goggles unrestricted, I must start with the ipad plugged in, launch my P4, and then unplug the idea and plug in the goggles quickly. This is not what I expected and growing impatient and increasingly disappointed with DJI. It seems that they hype up and sell you something that isn't quite what they claimed it to be and their firmware updates generally trade one issue for another.
2017-7-9
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
United States

Could someone from DJI please respond to this issue? Please?
2017-7-9
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

I did my fw update yesterday, then went flying.
I saw the same thing.
What I did, and it seems to have worked, was to connect my tablet (which was already logged into my account) and log off, then back in again. The P4 was on and "connected" at the time.
I made several flights after that, both with the Goggles and with the tablet, and did not see my distance limited again.
2017-7-10
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
United States

The weather finally cleared enough to fly.  I started with my iPad and flew up 120 m out 1000+m. I came back to my home point, disconnect the iPad and plugged in the googles and everything went great. No restrictions.  It seems cumbersome but at least it works.

I hope DJI will find a fix for this soon.!
2017-7-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BVB Posted at 2017-7-9 21:01
No. There appears to be no way around it right now. In order to fly while using the goggles unrestricted, I must start with the ipad plugged in, launch my P4, and then unplug the idea and plug in the goggles quickly. This is not what I expected and growing impatient and increasingly disappointed with DJI. It seems that they hype up and sell you something that isn't quite what they claimed it to be and their firmware updates generally trade one issue for another.

Thank you for the update, looks like I'm going to need a big open space to do some testing.
2017-7-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BouldersDad Posted at 2017-7-10 03:24
I did my fw update yesterday, then went flying.
I saw the same thing.
What I did, and it seems to have worked, was to connect my tablet (which was already logged into my account) and log off, then back in again. The P4 was on and "connected" at the time.

Something for me to try tomorrow, thanks for the update.
2017-7-13
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Hmm... I think Dji has come to dead end for aircraft other than Mavic. The flight restriction is for safety and requires aircraft to initially connect to Dji App. But the Goggles has no facility for logging on nor connection to internet. I think the firmware released last year do not have this restriction. But unlucky, if you updated the P4 to latest firmware you have no way to go back. So, the only solution left is to connect the Goggles via HDMI which requires you to install the HDMI output optional module on RC and reinstall the rc firmware. You will then can only view video feed. Otherwise just do the iphone/goggles swapping.
2017-8-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-7 07:59
Hmm... I think Dji has come to dead end for aircraft other than Mavic. The flight restriction is for safety and requires aircraft to initially connect to Dji App. But the Goggles has no facility for logging on nor connection to internet. I think the firmware released last year do not have this restriction. But unlucky, if you updated the P4 to latest firmware you have no way to go back. So, the only solution left is to connect the Goggles via HDMI which requires you to install the HDMI output optional module on RC and reinstall the rc firmware. You will then can only view video feed. Otherwise just do the iphone/goggles swapping.

You don't need internet connection to fly. You do need to be connected, initially to a device running an already 'activated' copy of DJI Go 4 (to disable the 30m Alt' and 50m radius limits), or compatible third party App' (Litchie ?). So initialise all with DJI Go 4, then swap over to Goggles connected to RC via USB, sorted. And that's me running all latest firmware/software.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Without Dji Go app, you do not have map. No map facility on your Goggles. If you use the USB to connect to Glggles you will have no idea where the aircraft is unless you reconnect the mobile back to USB. This is not good. My best choice is to use K1 running Litchi and the Goggles connect to K1. I can have everything on large screen. I do not need Gimbal or flight tracking.
2017-8-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-8 16:47
Without Dji Go app, you do not have map. No map facility on your Goggles. If you use the USB to connect to Glggles you will have no idea where the aircraft is unless you reconnect the mobile back to USB. This is not good. My best choice is to use K1 running Litchi and the Goggles connect to K1. I can have everything on large screen. I do not need Gimbal or flight tracking.

That sounds like a good option, I'd forgotten that the K1 has HDMI out allowing all metadata to be seen.

I don't normally use the maps as my aircraft is never too far away, so when using Goggles my spotter would be keeping an eye on it. And I would be navigating using FPV.
2017-8-9
Use props
fans1a95a4b1
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-9 05:03
That sounds like a good option, I'd forgotten that the K1 has HDMI out allowing all metadata to be seen.

I don't normally use the maps as my aircraft is never too far away, so when using Goggles my spotter would be keeping an eye on it. And I would be navigating using FPV.

I'm in the same boat re: the goggles.  After the last series of updates, I'm now distance-limited.  Like several other folks, I've spent over 2 fruitless hours on the phone with DJI support and gotten nowhere.  It was obvious the support people I've spoken to had no idea what to do and had probably never even laid eyes on the goggles.  I begged the last guy to transfer me to someone with more technical knowledge, but of course he refused and just kept putting me on hold while he asked someone else.

To compound matters, I had previously added the HDMI module to my RC and now, as soon as the goggles are connected to it, both the goggles and the phone/tablet instantly disconnect thus making it useless.  Out of frustration, I had previously stumbled on the "trick" of first flying with the phone, disconnecting it, then connecting the goggles and flying as normal.

As of now, I'm extremely frustrated and the only (minor) solace is knowing I'm not alone in this.  At this point though, as much as I previously enjoyed the goggles, I'd return them if I could since DJI stubbornly refuses to correct a problem of their own making.
2017-8-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans1a95a4b1 Posted at 2017-8-19 05:56
I'm in the same boat re: the goggles.  After the last series of updates, I'm now distance-limited.  Like several other folks, I've spent over 2 fruitless hours on the phone with DJI support and gotten nowhere.  It was obvious the support people I've spoken to had no idea what to do and had probably never even laid eyes on the goggles.  I begged the last guy to transfer me to someone with more technical knowledge, but of course he refused and just kept putting me on hold while he asked someone else.

To compound matters, I had previously added the HDMI module to my RC and now, as soon as the goggles are connected to it, both the goggles and the phone/tablet instantly disconnect thus making it useless.  Out of frustration, I had previously stumbled on the "trick" of first flying with the phone, disconnecting it, then connecting the goggles and flying as normal.

"To compound matters, I had previously added the HDMI module to my RC and now, as soon as the goggles are connected to it, both the goggles and the phone/tablet instantly disconnect thus making it useless."

I think that's what DJI need to focus on, I would expect full functionality on tablet/phone (running DJI Go 4), with video feed to Goggles via HDMI. Only bit I might add is, as far as I remember (stretching things a bit now) is that the RC firmware update needs to be run again after HDMI module fitted. I believe there may be some code to be passed to it during update of RC process.
2017-8-19
Use props
Rebelvis
lvl.2
United States

fans1a95a4b1 Posted at 2017-8-19 05:56

Bumping this topic......

Does anyone from DJI deign to respond to these threads?  Anyone???
2017-8-21
Use props
Rebelvis
lvl.2
United States

Update on this issue, FWIW...

Finally tiring of beating my head against the wall on this issue, I reluctantly sent my P4P back to DJI for "repair."  After a week or so, this is the e-mail I received:

"The distance restriction when only using the Googles before connecting to a mobile device logged into a DJI account, is not something we can resolve with a repair, unfortunately. The restriction is from the firmware update, and will need to be corrected by the app and firmware development team. This is a widely reported complaint on our forums, so there should be a fix in the works to allow full use with the Goggles alone."

I appreciate DJI's honesty as I think most of us knew this was a botched firmware update.  The really frustrating thing to me is that they would not admit this in all my futile exchanges with them nor bother to weigh in on this thread.  If they had I would not have subjected my delicate bird to a cross country trip in the gentle care of UPS.  Hopefully, since this is "widely reported" they will issue a fix and soon.
2017-9-23
Use props
JamesF03
lvl.1
United States

How is your battery level? My drone sometimes doesn't let me go beyond 30m when I have low battery
2017-9-23
Use props
fansdb17f747
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-4 16:17

How could I know if I am in ''beginner mode''?
How could I enter ''beginner mode''?
How could I exit ''beginner mode''^

Many thanks.
2018-8-20
Use props
Airport Dog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anytime that happens to me, it is ALWAYS that I started the GOGGLES too soon. I have to wait until I get full up comms between the controller and the bird. If I don't wait, I get the 30m warning and restriction. I never get that restriction until I get in a hurry and get the sequence wrong. If that doesn't help, maybe you can "GOGGLE"  the  question.
2018-8-21
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Airport Dog Posted at 2018-8-21 01:33
Anytime that happens to me, it is ALWAYS that I started the GOGGLES too soon. I have to wait until I get full up comms between the controller and the bird. If I don't wait, I get the 30m warning and restriction. I never get that restriction until I get in a hurry and get the sequence wrong. If that doesn't help, maybe you can "GOGGLE"  the  question.

so let me see if I have this right, you turn on your rc then p4p wait for full connection, 30 sec or so and then you plug in the goggles and you have no restrictions? I'm only asking because I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one but if it won't go more then what beginner mode offers than it is useless to me. the go 4 app has become so processor heavy that my tablet or my phone will not run it anymore with out rebooting or freezing. I thought I would buy the goggles instead of a new table. the difference of a few hundred dollars.

I sure wish a admin would sound off on this!
2018-9-12
Use props
Bigbadjohn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128750 ft

United States

I expected the same thing here, First I’m flying a p3a, added the hdmi mode to the remote, I could only get the 150’ ish rang with just the goggles, but I can normal range with my iPad plugged in also, but I did have to update my remote to v1.9.3 ( I think)   Also my question can you take pictures with goggles only? When I push the pad I get a menu brightness, volume, video,  exit.
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules