Why 4GB limit on video size?
12074 26 2017-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Using a 64GB microsd card in the Mavic, formated by the Mavic to exFAT.  Why can't the video files be larger than 4GB?  Or better yet, why can't the user select the max video file size?

2017-7-4
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Reformat your card to NTFS and you should have no problem.
2017-7-4
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

The card formatted to NTFS will not work in Mavic, at least based on my experience when I tried that yesterday.  From an sdcard perspective, exFAT and NTFS should serve pretty much the same.
2017-7-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

My understanding is this is a limit to prevent having to pay extra to patent license holders, which apparently charge more for devices that record for 30 minutes and longer. As far as I can tell pretty much all prosumer/consumer cameras have this limitation.
2017-7-5
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

For what it's worth - FAT32 has a 4 GB single file size limit. extFAT is spec'd at 512TB single file-size limit.
2017-7-5
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-5 06:13
My understanding is this is a limit to prevent having to pay extra to patent license holders, which apparently charge more for devices that record for 30 minutes and longer. As far as I can tell pretty much all prosumer/consumer cameras have this limitation.

The 30min limitation  on devices (mostly cameras!)  that also record video is to prevent the devices from being classified as "videocameras".  By doing so, avoiding the import tariff/duties reserved for video recording devices.  
2017-7-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-5 06:13

Looked into this a little further and it appears the patent charge kicks in at 12 minutes and is for content authors -- those who sell video content. There's an EU tariff on recording devices that kicks in at 30 minutes, so maybe this is a limitation. Is it possible that DJI just assumes a fat32 4GB limit even when writing to exFat storage?
2017-7-5
Use props
SupaMonkey
lvl.1
South Africa

The licensing is for exFAT which theyre already paying for - so I have no idea why they dont up the limit of the file size. Literally just one extra check to see the file system in use to determine its max file size. Its rather annoying! This should of been fixed in a firmware update ages ago.
2017-7-5
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

SupaMonkey Posted at 2017-7-5 09:32
The licensing is for exFAT which theyre already paying for - so I have no idea why they dont up the limit of the file size. Literally just one extra check to see the file system in use to determine its max file size. Its rather annoying! This should of been fixed in a firmware update ages ago.

Agree.   
2017-7-5
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Okay.  

Well ... it was worth a shot.
2017-7-6
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

30 min is very long for 1 video..
Doesnt that exceed the battery limits?? or is everyone running external batteries or maybe using the mavic as a handheld gimbal??
2017-7-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-7-6 17:37
Doesnt that exceed the battery limits?? or is everyone running external batteries or maybe using the mavic as a handheld gimbal??

Heh, good point. ;)
2017-7-6
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-7-6 17:37

30 minutes?  How about just the option for full resolution video for the length of the battery - as you suggest.
2017-7-7
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Please remove the 4GB file size limit.
2017-7-30
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

It won't happen for DJI. 4G issue surfaceed 2 years ago. The worst thing is that there is also loss of a few frames when files are Stitched back together. This affects I1, Osmo camera. But apparently it has been fixed on P4P and I2, DJI has not updating any firmware for older products though.
2017-7-30
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Please remove the 4GB file size limit.
2017-8-2
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

So this is why I am missing 15 minutes of a 20 minute flight?  Sadly I jut pressed record on the RC and when I got home I had one MP4 file that was a big whopping 4:35 long instead of my entire flight.  I just put a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Plus and thought I forgot to do something to is.
2017-8-2
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I am really surprised to see DJI screw the user again with the brand new Mavic Air on this same old issue.  They must be just re-hashing the same old hardware/software on their "new" units.

When will this be fixed?
2018-1-30
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

What are the steps in the DJI Go editor to join (2) 9 minute 4k videos from the Mavic Pro sdcard into one video?
2018-2-7
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

KryptoNyte Posted at 2018-2-7 16:32
What are the steps in the DJI Go editor to join (2) 9 minute 4k videos from the Mavic Pro sdcard into one video?

Has anyone tried using NTFS with a Mac? NTFS drives can only be read from on a Mac unless you buy software to allow writing to NTFS. It's less of a hassle to deal with the smaller file sizes since most video software just manages the individual files for you.
2018-2-7
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I don't have a Mac.  I have a Mavic Pro, an sdcard formatted by the Mavic (exFAT as I recall), and an iPad Mini 4.  I simply need to be able to join a couple videos from one flight into a single file to upload to youtube.  Just to be clear on this, I did not start and stop the recording to create these two files, the Mavic decided to create two separate files on its own - by design apparently.  A poor design.
2018-2-8
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Hello?  

Is there no way inside the DJI system to create and upload a single 18 minute 4k drone video to Youtube?  This seems like it should be a remarkably simple thing.
2018-2-9
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Here's a free tool that I found to join the 4k mp4 video from the DJI devices;

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4joiner/

Thanks DJI for all your help resolving this.
2018-2-11
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I'm going bump this with weary hopes that DJI somehow brings their recording technology forward to the year 2005 at some point down the road.
2018-4-18
Use props
GeneJ
lvl.1

3.67GB is all I can record before it starts a new file. Very frustrating.....
2018-4-29
Use props
Lundy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 191952 ft
United States

Same for me with a Mavic Air recording 4K 24 fps. 3.67 GB then it auto starts a new file.  SD card is formatted in the DJI GO 4 app.

Anyone find out why?
2018-9-30
Use props
MickeyMooMoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2878268 ft
United Kingdom

A good video editor, like Adobe, can splice together quite easily. I agree its a pain though
2021-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules