Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aviation Rulemaking Committee
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CCPD Pilots
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone know if DJI products conform to the FAA's Aviation Rulemaking Committe (ARC) requirements?  I'm attempting to get a part 107 waiver for 107.39 (Flying Over People), and they said I have to provide documentation that the Phantom 4 Pro conforms to their requirements before they'll approve the waiver request.  I can't post a link here, but if you search for "The Micro Unmanned Aircraft Systems Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) Recommendations Final Report," you should be able to see what they're looking for.  Thanks!!
2017-7-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Why can't you post a link?
PM me and I'll post it in here for you.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-5
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

http://www.faa.gov/uas/resources ... RC-FINAL-Report.pdf

I'm, not convinced that flying over crowds, or hovering over individuals with a Phantom is sensible, even if the impact force is considered acceptable the risk of it falling is rather high, they don't have redundant motors/props/etc.  Getting insurance may be a problem.

Could you not use a Spark?  Doesn't quite manage the 250g category but it easily complies with the next and when it does fall on someone it isn't going to be anywhere near as serious as a falling Phantom.
2017-7-5
Use props
CCPD Pilots
lvl.1
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-5 08:54
http://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/Micro-UAS-ARC-FINAL-Report.pdf

I'm, not convinced that flying over crowds, or hovering over individuals with a Phantom is sensible, even if the impact force is considered acceptable the risk of it falling is rather high, they don't have redundant motors/props/etc.  Getting insurance may be a problem.

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, I work for a company, and we've already purchased the 4 Pro.  We're trying to use the Phantom to monitor crowd activity during protest activities in town.
2017-7-6
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

CCPD Pilots Posted at 2017-7-6 02:37
Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, I work for a company, and we've already purchased the 4 Pro.  We're trying to use the Phantom to monitor crowd activity during protest activities in town.

Spark will have too short a battery life for that anyway.
It is a job for the police helicopter with it's twin engines and proven reliability record.

You wouldn't actually need to be flying directly above the crowd, but you would need to be high enough to avoid all obstacles and all buildings otherwise there is too much risk of a collision.  Probably much easier to get permission if you are always going to be 300ft+ from the crowd, even if that may involve passing directly over them at times.  The really difficult bit is how do you avoid hitting police or press helicopters?  I don't see a reasonable answer to that, you will never have good visibility and line of sight if trying to follow crowds in the centre of town.  Plus, how do you land it in an emergency when the crowd has just surrounded the pilot?

Not sure what your rules are, but it is fairly common to calculate the impact force from the weight and maximum speed so even if you can't get the required statement from DJI you can still calculate it.
2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules