Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Firmware for Phantom 4 is Available (06/07/2017)
81818 557 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
F.KOK
Captain
Flight distance : 18878960 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 02:28
Could it be a prop' off balance (chipped or dirty/damaged) or a loose mounting plate ?

All motors turning freely by hand ?

Hello Aardvark I have changed to new props, and mounting plates is fine, with no differents.
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

One oddity I am seeing is with the Draw flight mode.   When I set this up, the bird flies the route, but wobbles as it flies.  It almost looks drunk as it wobbles along the route.  Other flight modes seem mostly normal.
2017-7-8
Use props
SteveDickin
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-8 03:51
One oddity I am seeing is with the Draw flight mode.   When I set this up, the bird flies the route, but wobbles as it flies.  It almost looks drunk as it wobbles along the route.  Other flight modes seem mostly normal.

I experienced this too, I just thought maybe my drawing wasn't up to much, so glad to hear the same issue.  Happy Drawings!
2017-7-8
Use props
Sharp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Doing some more flying today and while in Tropod mode I lost video signal 3 times while the drone was only 30ft away from me. During this time the Gimbal also went crazy and started pulling hard right. I tried to take a recording, but the drone kept on kicking out of record mode, however, I did manage to catch just a few seconds.  

As you can see right at the beginning, the gimbal is way over to the right and can see it's landing gear.

2017-7-8
Use props
brunobaptista
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

I've updated with no issues both the P4 and RC.

It did not prompted the "Inconsistent firmware" in DJI GO4 when swapping to another battery that was not in the P4 during the update.
Can anyone confirm that battery firmware is not required for this version?

Thanks.
2017-7-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 05:05
There are battery updates, run DJI Assistant 2 on PC, and try with each battery, Assistant 2 will indicate either 'Refresh' (If already up to date), or 'Update' (if not already done). Takes about 5 minutes for each update.

This.

I find this quite unclear from DJI's part as it's not mentionned anywhere, unless I missed it.
2017-7-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

About to take the P4 out to go over 2 batteries, will try extensively levelled flight and draw to see if I can replicate the issues mentionned here and report back.
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brunobaptista Posted at 2017-7-8 05:01
I've updated with no issues both the P4 and RC.

It did not prompted the "Inconsistent firmware" in DJI GO4 when swapping to another battery that was not in the P4 during the update.

There are battery updates, run DJI Assistant 2 on PC, and try with each battery, Assistant 2 will indicate either 'Refresh' (If already up to date), or 'Update' (if not already done). Takes about 5 minutes for each update.
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Currently stuck at 99%, which really p1sses me off as I have done everything EXACTLY as I should have. You would think DJI could have mastered a simple firmware update by this stage!!
2017-7-8
Use props
fans90b02e01
New

Maldives

fans90b02e01 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:46
My phantom 4 got an error after update can anyone help me to fix

It says barometer disconnected

I got the same error
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Could it be a prop' off balance (chipped or dirty/damaged) or a loose mounting plate ?

No, it couldn't be any of those things. As I noted, the drone was fine before the update (immediately before the update). Same props, same everything except the update.
The update itself caused the shaky flying and I can now see that several others have the same problem.   In any case, it's not a vibration problem. The entire drone tilts violently (wobbles)  back and forward as if it was stuck in multidirectional wind gusts. It also only happens once every few seconds. In between, it flies just fine.
I'd like to revert back to the old firmware until DJI resolves the problem but neither the DJI Go4 app nor the DJI Assistant will allow a refresh of any version other than this latest one.
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Tried using the DJI Assistant Software. Failed! This is unbelievable!
error.PNG
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 05:24

I would reset all (repower aircraft, close down and open Assistant 2) and try again, it could even be their server is busy.

Edit:- you are using latest version from Here ?

2017-7-8
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571004 ft
Thailand

I was about to update mine but after seeing all these isssues i'm wondering if should not pass my turn on this one lol
2017-7-8
Use props
wwsvs
New
United States

This is what I was wondering as well.  Every other flight I check the little 'fingers' that push the prop up and if necessary I bend them up to make sure that the prop is tight.    I have not upgraded yet but may do so this weekend.  Work has been crazy busy.     For those who have the HDMI module.. did this update help with the real-time video feedback glitching?    My remote control has the booster on it from Drone World and you would think that with that thing installed I would have signal issues.  I have never lost control of the drone.  The only real problem is the video feedback.  Also, I am using a Samsung 9.7 tablet with my remote.   Thanks and Best Wishes!
2017-7-8
Use props
fans7078371a
New
Australia

dont touch this update .. it will gound you .. with more problems than you could ever imagine .. see it all in the forums..
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-7-8 05:05
This.

I find this quite unclear from DJI's part as it's not mentionned anywhere, unless I missed it.

I just read over the P4 release notes and no mention in there. But it certainly changes something, after update completed the status shows 'refresh' for each of the batteries. I did notice a comment I think was in the IOS download description, that improvements had been made to 'Smart RTH'. So whether that has any bearing I do not know.
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wwsvs Posted at 2017-7-8 05:57
This is what I was wondering as well.  Every other flight I check the little 'fingers' that push the prop up and if necessary I bend them up to make sure that the prop is tight.    I have not upgraded yet but may do so this weekend.  Work has been crazy busy.     For those who have the HDMI module.. did this update help with the real-time video feedback glitching?    My remote control has the booster on it from Drone World and you would think that with that thing installed I would have signal issues.  I have never lost control of the drone.  The only real problem is the video feedback.  Also, I am using a Samsung 9.7 tablet with my remote.   Thanks and Best Wishes!

I would hope that the RC update V1.92 should sort out the video glitches where HDMI module was in use. If so then I might consider buying one.
2017-7-8
Use props
fans7078371a
New
Australia

DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.2-2  dont go near any new firmware like this if you have busines reliant on flying.. grounded and $8000 in contracts hanging untill I can get the firmware sorted.
2017-7-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 06:06
I just read over the P4 release notes and no mention in there. But it certainly changes something, after update completed the status shows 'refresh' for each of the batteries. I did notice a comment I think was in the IOS download description, that improvements had been made to 'Smart RTH'. So whether that has any bearing I do not know.

oh yeah, Assistant definitely asks for a refresh when re-booting with a battery that hasn't worked under that firmware and repeated the process over my 2 extra batteries (3 in total).

About to head out for the 2nd battery flight. 1st flight was awesome, super stable under all modes P,A, S.

Draw and tripod worked flawlessly, and had several wind warnings but it is windy today (about 20kph).

No wobbly shaken behavior whatsoever, and gimbal was extremely smooth and levelled, did not have to fiddle with my horizon at all...

It's weird some are having these issues, could it be they are missing the battery refresh?

All I did after the update was calibrate the IMU out of curiosity really and thinking new '3D' process would tighten its accuracy, which it seems it did but on the other hand hadn't flown for months, so perhaps I don't remember.

Edit:Just got back from another full battery test flight. Everything works as it should. With the new working bells and whistles it feels like a new bird. Was confident enough to fly a meter above a river and do some narrow flights under trees lol.

I've yet to try Terrain Follow, might do so later on but wind is picking up....:s

2017-7-8
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Thailand

I upgraded my radio first over the DJI Go app before updating my aircraft with the DJI Assistant. Then i updated my aircraft, it was a bit strange than usual but the aircraft restarted a couple of times during the process, it took around 10 minutes but everything went well. After the last reboot, the LED close to the SD card slot and the USB plug stopped blinking between red and yellow and showed a solid orange.

There is definitely an update over the batteries with this firmware.

I noticed with the DJI Assistant that there is actually a minus after the version V02.00.0106-  when i connected my aircraft with a non updated battery. Have a look on my first photo. The assistant also right away proposes you to upgrade.

Around 24% during the upgrade if you look at your battery, the lights have some glitches then the battery reboot and the upgrade goes until the end.

When finished there is no minus after the version installed on the aircraft when you go back to the firmware update tab. Have a look on my third photo.

I also reset the factory defaults settings each times i upgraded my LIPOs. You never know.

I did an IMU calibration then a gimbal calibration. I restored all my favourite settings all over the app.

Tomorrow i will perform my first tests and see how everything perform all along with my all 3 batteries. Wish me good luck...

update_1.jpg
update_2.jpg
update_3.jpg
update_4.jpg
2017-7-8
Use props
brunobaptista
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 05:05

Thanks AArdvark.

I've used Assistant 2 and upgraded the remaining 2 batteries. Now all show "Refresh" when connected.

Did a VPS calibration and the new IMU calibration. Don't know if will be able to fly today though.

2017-7-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

One thing I noticed when turned the bird on it gave me an IMU error prompting me to re-calibrate yet when I entered the IMU menu it showed it was warming-up and all readings where nominal once done so.did not go through calibration.
When back to main screen had a ready to fly mesage, and flight was great.

Same with the second battery, upon powering instead of the warm-up message had the error that dissapeared when the IMU warmed up.

Anyone else noticed it?

2017-7-8
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Thailand

For those who are having wobbles when flying, i noticed that the factory defaults settings are slightly different with this firmware. Attitude is something like 50% and brake was something like 70% or more.

It might be interesting to check out your Attitude, brake and even expo and gain values, maybe you should have a look and tweak the values in order to have a better flight experience.

I have indeed a little error every time i power up my aircraft with the app which disappears after warming up, in my case it's the vision system (i disabled everything!), it's maybe just an app glitch...
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 05:52
I would reset all (repower aircraft, close down and open Assistant 2) and try again, it could even be their server is busy.

Edit:- you are using latest version from Here ?

Yeah turned out that's what it was! So I got it updated successfully in the end.

Just back from some test flights. I didnt even have the chance to try any of these new modes that people are talking about, is there a "Tripod" function now I believe? Don't even know where to find that.

I have noticed that I now receive wind warnings. Don't ever remember receiving those before. Today was annoyingly windy so the app was definitely correct in warning me. I also notice while the drone is sitting with the props at low RPM waiting to take off, the app bleeps at me until I have the drone in the air, is that normal?

Oh, and unfortunately it appears the horizon issue is still very much there with my drone. See attached image.
This leads me onto my final question, is it recommended to do all the calibrations again? My app tells me that nothing needs calibrated so I didnt bother, but maybe I should have?

Thanks.

vlcsnap-2017-07-08-17h53m34s734.png
2017-7-8
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Thailand

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 08:58
Yeah turned out that's what it was! So I got it updated successfully in the end.

Just back from some test flights. I didnt even have the chance to try any of these new modes that people are talking about, is there a "Tripod" function now I believe? Don't even know where to find that.

Yes, i think you should definitely perform an IMU calibration and a gimbal calibration after rebooting the aircraft...
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

In response to blackmennewstyl , post 125:-

The sensitivity for my drone (after the firmware update and factory reset) are:
Attitude 50
Brake 100
Yaw movement limit 150

Gain values are all at 100

Expo are all at 0.40 (Normal mode)

I don't recall exactly what they were all set to prior to the update but I believe the above are probably the same.

Tonight (2:30am), I am still working on the drone because I have some commercial work to do on Monday.
All batteries check out as being at the correct firmware level in the DJI Assistant (it shows the "refresh" rather than "update" for all four batteries).
The DJO Go4 app also says current firmware when starting up with each battery.
Tonight, I have totally refreshed the firmware; this time using the DJI Go 4 app (I used the DJI Assistant yesterday).
I'm hoping this refresh will change things with a test flight tomorrow but I'm not overly confident.
At the moment, the unstable (wobbly) flight characteristics  make it virtually impossible to use (other new functions like landing, gestures etc all worked fine after the update).
2017-7-8
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Thailand

JockC Posted at 2017-7-8 09:06
In response to blackmennewstyl , post 125:-

The sensitivity for my drone (after the firmware update and factory reset) are:

Honestly, attitude at 50 is pretty low and brake at 100 is way too higher for my taste!

Before the upgrade my attitude and my brake values were 80 both.

My Expo values were 0.5 for throttle and 0.20 for the rest.

My gains were a little bit more higher than 100 except for YAW, i tweaked them a lot before finding the values i like and especially for VERTICAL.

I will probably have to do the same is the new firmware changed the flight characteristic of my aircraft.

Tomorrow i will perform a couple of flights and i will definitely report if i face some annoying experiences.
2017-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

blackmennewstyl Posted at 2017-7-8 05:57
I was about to update mine but after seeing all these isssues i'm wondering if should not pass my turn on this one lol

The jury is still out for me, too. I'll stick with what works for the time being.
2017-7-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

RATS... I have to join the crowd.  I was able to successfully update everything (DJIGO4, Firmware on both P4 and RC, Assistant 2, and all batteries).  Went very smoothly (and I carefully documented every step which I will share soon).

I did a test flight, just a hover (about 10 - 20 feet up) in my back yard and a bit of back n forth and side to side.  I can say 100% that there is a problem with the stability of the bird that did not exist previously.  I will videotape with my phone on my next flight.  I can hear one or more motors "surge" randomly, as if I pushed the throttle for a quarter of a second and only affected one motor.  The result is uneven hovering and flight.  As if someone is thumping one of the corners of the drone, causing the drone to buck.  You can hear it in the motor, and see it in the flight.  Spinning the bird during hovering in place really shows the problem.
2017-7-8
Use props
Joecos
Captain
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

Shikes, im a beginner and reading all these negative posts just makes me nervous.   I will hold off until there is certain stability of this new release.

Will have to keep the tablet on airplane mode.

Will be following this thread with   eyes wide open.
2017-7-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here is a 60 second video which shows the problem with the SUBTLE bucking of the P4 after successfully completing all update, IMU and Compass calibrations, etc.  The motion is random, appearing only four or five few times in the 60 seconds, and the prop sound blocks a bit of the more obvious high pitch sound that also happens when bucking.

The bucking is enough that the gimbal can't compensate quickly enough so it ruins any video I might be shooting.

There was a subtle breeze, not anything any of us would consider an issue.  Though I will say that it appears the problem is a bit more obviousle when the bird is being pushed by the breeze, as well as when it is in flying in any direction.  I didn't touch the sticks once during this video.  The ground is asphalt and plenty bright, with plenty of debris on the ground for the VPS to grab onto.  I set the exposure to the white P4, which makes the rest of the frame look much darker than it actually is.  Plenty of light and texture for the VPS to work.
This problem appears to be as evident at 50 feet as it is a 5 feet.

2017-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-8 10:29
https://vimeo.com/224777057 Here is a 60 second video which shows the problem with the bucking of the P4 after successfully completing all update, IMU and Compass calibrations, etc.  The motions play a bit on the subtle side and the prop sound blocks a bit of the more obvious high pitch sound that also happens when bucking.

In your video the drone is hovering quite close to vertical obstacles (garage doors, trees etc?). Could it be that the obstacle avoidance system is trying to correct for proximity?
2017-7-8
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-8 10:29
https://vimeo.com/224777057 Here is a 60 second video which shows the problem with the bucking of the P4 after successfully completing all update, IMU and Compass calibrations, etc.  The motions play a bit on the subtle side and the prop sound blocks a bit of the more obvious high pitch sound that also happens when bucking.

Does it do it do it indoors/no wind at all? To me it looks like tiny adjustments the drone does to stay in place...I thought I would be seing the thing screaming and moving erratically.
2017-7-8
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Dnerve Posted at 2017-7-8 11:08
Does it do it do it indoors/no wind at all? To me it looks like tiny adjustments the drone does to stay in place...I thought I would be seing the thing screaming and moving erratically.

This really isn't quite as bad as my drone behavior.
I opened a thread for those who suffer from instability during hovering and in flight.
2017-7-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi guys... I've now done four test flights, at times in a stronger breeze, and other times when there was no wind at all.  
Some of the floating in the video is because of the gentle breeze, but the "bucking" isn't because of wind.  The wind is very gentle (look at the loose leaves sitting on the ground, and look at the shadows of the trees on the asphalt, nothing moving).  The bucking isn't huge either, but it is a brand new problem and it shouldn't be occurring.  I've been flying this thing for a year and know it very well.  This problem only started today, after updating the software and firmware.  I can also hear it in the motors, a somewhat high pitched sound that occurs when the thing bucks.  If you listen closely you can hear it.

Anyway, I have been flying this bird in a HUGE variety of questionable circumstances including high wind, bitter cold, dense fog, high altitudes, skimming just above the water, and way more.  This problem is new, plays subtly in the video, but anyone who really knows their bird would see this difference.  It feels.... broken.
UPDATE:  I also notice that a gentle breeze pushes the P4 WAY off course as it flies in straight line.  Instead of the drone tilting slightly to hold its position, it drifts.  I actually thought I might have switched to ATTI mode in the way it drifted.  
2017-7-8
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-8 11:22
Hi guys... I've now done four test flights, at times in a stronger breeze, and other times when there was no wind at all.  
Some of the floating in the video is because of the gentle breeze, but the "bucking" isn't because of wind.  The wind is very gentle (look at the loose leaves sitting on the ground, and look at the shadows of the trees on the asphalt, nothing moving).  The bucking isn't huge either, but it is a brand new problem and it shouldn't be occurring.  I've been flying this thing for a year and know it very well.  This problem only started today, after updating the software and firmware.  I can also hear it in the motors, a somewhat high pitched sound that occurs when the thing bucks.  If you listen closely you can hear it.

Please post your experience in the thread I opened for that problem
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368
2017-7-8
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 05:24

I tried to update using DJI Assistant 2 on my computer..   It would download, but fail on the installation.  It did this three times in a row.

So...  I tried upgrading  using my iPad Air.    It downloaded and installed correctly on the first try.

2017-7-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2017-7-8 11:22
This really isn't quite as bad as my drone behavior.
I opened a thread for those who suffer from instability during hovering and in flight.

Hi Moshe, maybe it isn't as bad as it can be, and maybe I'm lucky because of that.  But it still shouldn't be happening at all.  I won't be able to use this for my professional video work until it is fixed.  
2017-7-8
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

My installation experience.....  (Apart from my previous post ).

On my first flight, the craft performed normally.  But, the video was dropping in and out at 30 - 40 feet.  I was getting green bars and freezes.

But, this 'stabilized' after a few minutes and I was able to fly normally.   One thing I was getting were high wind warnings.  They popped up on the screen in red text advising me to stay close and in sight.  Thing is, that there was hardly any wind.

When I first got my P4 about a year ago, the horizon was very wonky.  Over time, it 'wore in' and now it's not bad.   Sometimes when take off, it has some tilt, but if I fly around in a few directions it levels out.  I was worried the update might set me back, but it didn't.  My horizons are still acceptable.  

Otherwise, no complaints.   Thanks DJI

2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules