Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don't expect any help from DJI Care Refresh
3040 39 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lolo9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37126 ft
France

Hello,

Here is what I've been experiencing for the last 3-4 weeks about my DJI Mavic Pro. Just wanted to share it with all the DJI community, and also the newbuyers who might be interested into buying DJI's products. They might think twice.

I was overjoyed when I bought my Mavic Pro and I knew, anything could happen, because it's a flying object. Wasn't expecting such a terrible experience from DJI though.

I was flying my Mavic Pro along a river (clear weather, altitude 3-4m high from the ground - higher when above the water - 540m away from where I was). After 3mn flying, 80% battery, all of a sudden, I loose all contact with the aircraft : no more video, no more signal, nothing. So I kept my RC on all afternoon long, hoping for my drone to be found with it. I went where I got the signal lost, all around, even in the river for 4 hours, searching for it quickly, unsuccessfully. Return home, and Find my drone were used to try to find it, desperately.

When I got home, decided to contact the DJI Care team. I was hoping for them to help me, as I bought the DJI Care Refresh program, maybe something could have been done. That's when the nightmare begins : sending e-mails to several team members, again and again, being asked several times for the same information, different people from different e-mail addresses answering to me... very blurry, taking a lot of time...

Once I've eventually sent the data I've been sending several times to the right person (at last !) and after waiting for more than 3 weeks, I get a 3 sentenses reply, saying it's my fault-pilot error-, that from the video there's has been a crash, nothing can be done -not included in DJI Care Refresh-, period. The video recording shows a signal cut. But, no crash. No drowning in the river. Just black screen all of a sudden. And it's my fault apparently. Clearly, not a sincere answer, since no proof of a crash is been given, and the signal loss is obvious.
So then what's the DJI Care Refresh program for ?

Gave a phonecall to the UK support hotline : same poor experience. That lady, even though it's not her fault, keeps on saying : send an e-mail, send an e-mail... I'm not in power to help you, the person is not available right now, send an e-mail... Didn't mean to be rude to her, she's not responsible for all this. But very, very disappointing. Then I asked for a refund of the DJI Care Refresh program, because it's useless (except for DJI, of course, who takes the money ;-). She said send an e-mail...

Now all I can think of, is how it got lost, and I watch over and over again, the video that shows no obstacles but the signal cut, and no shock, no drowning in the river, nothing...

If anyone reads this, please, can you give me an advice on how to, for example, get a DJI discount for, even a second hand, Mavic Pro, or any other advice that could help me get over it, or find a solution. Also, did anyone face the same signal cut ? Isn't it disappointing for such an expensive hardware... And last but not least, if moderators/administrators read this, any help would do.

Thanks for reading

LC
Here is the video
2017-7-6
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Hello,  Wow, if the video had not ended where it did, it looks like you were headed for a crash with the trees on the right of the canal.
2017-7-6
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

Thank you for your reply, but I think that the technical team cannot be 100% sure that the aircraft ended in the trees. The signal got lost before the crash IF there has been a crash. DJI says there's been crash and the loss of signal is a consequence of the crash, which is untrue
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry for the mishap and unpleasant experience with our support. According to the video provided by you, the drone was obviously heading to the branches at the end, as you know, the camera can only detect the obstacles in front of it rather than the both sides. Even though in front, vision system may fail to sense the obstacle when you fly above small and fine objects like tree branches and power lines.
Before the collision, you pushed pitch 100% forward and roll 100% to the right, the speed was too fast to avoid obstacles even though it has sensed the branches, it's apparent the drone was heading for branches, we feel sorry for this situation.
branch.png
flight records.png
vision system.png
2017-7-6
Use props
trica de
First Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

EastyT Posted at 2017-7-6 13:08
Hello,  Wow, if the video had not ended where it did, it looks like you were headed for a crash with the trees on the right of the canal.

I think you are right...
2017-7-6
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

I do not dispute that possibility but you are not answering my question precisely.
The loss of signal occurred before the "supposed" crash. So it is not the "supposed" crash that caused the loss of the signal.
Do you agree with that statement?

For your information, I was flying in normal mode (not in sport mode). When watching your demo videos in this mode the driver goes full speed very close to the rock without hitting them. What would have happenned if the signal had not stopped in my case?
Perhaps I could have avoided the trees and we would not talk about crash at this time.

I am not responsible for the loss of the signal at this time.

No one can not say that the drone was not failing.

I am waiting for a clear answer on the part of the signal.
Because for me, this is the cause of the "supposed" crash, and not a steering error. I invite you to look at the photo sent by your service with precision.
In the last second of flight transmitted by the drone before the signal loss, I direct the drone to the left, to avoid the trees, obviously.

I really feel that the analysis has been done quickly so as not to put The DJI care refresh in place...
2017-7-7
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

2017-7-7
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

picture

PICTURE

PICTURE
2017-7-7
Use props
Dronebae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41220 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone have the video as it has been deleted?
2017-7-7
Use props
ephektz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Half a kilometer away below the tree line. It's amazing that you didn't lose connection sooner, honestly.
2017-7-7
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

I was on the opposite bank, at 600 meters so there was between the pilot and the plane only water. The space was clear.
2017-7-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Lolo9 Posted at 2017-7-7 05:22
I was on the opposite bank, at 600 meters so there was between the pilot and the plane only water. The space was clear.

Upload the TXT file from the flight using the instructions here, provide a link to it in this thread, and we'll be in a better position to comment on what happened.
2017-7-7
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

here is the link

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X37CTWFYSF12SM0ODBOG/
2017-7-7
Use props
Tex21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

Flying that fast when you can't see your drone is a recipe for disaster.  You were flying at 10m/s - near trees. Pas bon mon ami. BUT...

Even so, I interpret DJI Care Refresh to still cover your scenario. Can the DJI people tell us why it doesn't please?

Scenarios

Scenarios

2017-7-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

First of all, I'm sorry that you lost your Mavic and I understand how frustrating that must be, especially since you were apparently enjoying it so much. Before going any further, I should clarify something that I didn't notice having been brought up before in this thread: Care Refresh only applies in the case of pilot error and can only be used when you return the aircraft to DJI. Now if you feel that the crash was caused by a defect then you could argue that you deserve a warranty replacement, but that's different from Care Refresh.

Now regarding the flight, I've looked at the data from the log you uploaded and unfortunately it does appear that you flew too close to the trees on the opposite (east) bank of the river. I've included links to Google Maps to show you the progression of your Mavic during the final seconds of the recorded flight:

As you can see, it was getting progressively closer to that eastern bank -- and approaching the tree limbs protruding from the bank. The log indicates that for much of that time you were using 100% elevator (forward) and 100% aileron (right), and it appears that the wind may also have helped push you towards the east a little more. I know you made a point of mentioning the partial left aileron applied near the end of the flight, but according to the log that only lasted a fraction (about 1/10th) of a second before the sticks were returned to the neutral position. And given the likely momentum at that point it's not clear if even full left throttle would have been enough to prevent a collision.

I know you've brought up the loss of connection and indeed the log ends abruptly but that's not unusual in the case of a crash, especially for the TXT file. In at least some cases the battery becomes dislodged and as you'd expect that results in a disconnect and no more data being written to the log. There have been reports of spontaneous disconnections but given that your disconnect happened at exactly the same point in time when a collision was imminent, the simplest explanation seems the most reasonable: that the disconnection was a result of the crash and not its cause.
2017-7-7
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

Since you say that the disconnection took place after the crash, in this case, why don't we see the crash in the video?
By measuring on Google Maps the last position of the plane, we are about 15 meters from the tree. Let me remind you that in the last few seconds, you can see that I pushed left to avoid the tree (and I really did !).
For your information, I left my RC on all afternoon long : I never recovered any connection, I looked for it in the trees everywhere around the last signal and even inside the river (we went swimming with friends of mine) and I never found it.
I am aware that the DJI CARE REFRESH warranty can not be put in place since I can not produce the aircraft.
Nevertheless, since there is a doubt about the crash, I ask you for a discount on a second hand plane for example, a coupon I could use, or some sign of goodwill that could help me. And if impossible, at least, the refund of DJI CARE REFRESH, since I would never use it.

Thank you
2017-7-7
Use props
Erick705
lvl.1

Canada

Give the guy a discount on a new drone!
2017-7-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Erick705 Posted at 2017-7-7 13:07
Give the guy a discount on a new drone!

I agree...they (DJI) already made money on the Mavic & Refresh purchase
2017-7-7
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Failsafeaction: landing ? On the image text.... Where's RTH?
2017-7-7
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

Lolo9 Posted at 2017-7-7 11:37
Since you say that the disconnection took place after the crash, in this case, why don't we see the crash in the video?
By measuring on Google Maps the last position of the plane, we are about 15 meters from the tree. Let me remind you that in the last few seconds, you can see that I pushed left to avoid the tree (and I really did !).
For your information, I left my RC on all afternoon long : I never recovered any connection, I looked for it in the trees everywhere around the last signal and even inside the river (we went swimming with friends of mine) and I never found it.

All you have to do is produce a mavic body, dry it out and send it in. All the rest of us who have used refresh have to send a body in. Excuse me but why are you different? I'd go swimming again but use Droneflying locations and look further out
2017-7-7
Use props
Tex21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

I reckon DJI have all the proof of what happened to your Mavic. In this case, they should replace it under the Care Refresh you bought.  It's pretty obvious what happened.  Like the other guy said, go look for it again, it is summer after all.  You pretty well know exactly where to look.  Does that river flow fast?
2017-7-7
Use props
fans47d56aca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126227 ft
United States

my case is in the process from a similar issue, only i didnt have any trees between me n the mavic , but i did get a message saying no connection before watching the drone decent into the ocean. RTH feature was on as well. sucks best of luck! hope DJI can help you .  
2017-7-8
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

@RCNJ thank you for your message. RTH never happened. we tried to push the RTH button and waited for the aircraft to return to home indeed. Never happened
@Tex21 thank you for your message. Unfortunately, we've been searching for it a complete afternoon : can't find it.. we've been in the river, diving and looking everywhere... nothing can be found.. now it must be gone... or too deep for me to find it
@ fans47d56aca thank you for your message
I hope you will have a positive reply from DJI.
As far as I am concerned, I hope that MINDY (administrator) or any other member of the team will answer my last message : is the loss of signal due to the crash ?
Or the loss of signal arrived before the crash .......
A discount or any other offer would be very welcomed as nothing of what happened to me was of my fault,  or been done by me on purpose.
2017-7-9
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

It was from the crash. I have seen many crash videos where you never actually see it hit the water or object, the feed just cuts off. If you could get the sd card it would show it most likely. Your drone is there, you just need to find it. Why did you remove the video?
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-7-9 14:11
It was from the crash. I have seen many crash videos where you never actually see it hit the water or object, the feed just cuts off. If you could get the sd card it would show it most likely. Your drone is there, you just need to find it. Why did you remove the video?

I have seen many crash videos where you never actually see it hit the water or object, the feed just cuts off.

I have too. In fact, here's one I saw just a few days ago:

2017-7-9
Use props
ephektz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Lolo9 Posted at 2017-7-9 13:19
@RCNJ thank you for your message. RTH never happened. we tried to push the RTH button and waited for the aircraft to return to home indeed. Never happened
@Tex21 thank you for your message. Unfortunately, we've been searching for it a complete afternoon : can't find it.. we've been in the river, diving and looking everywhere... nothing can be found.. now it must be gone... or too deep for me to find it
@ fans47d56aca thank you for your message

I'm unsure how you hitting something isn't your fault. One of the reasons it's important to maintain VLOS when flying close proximity to things is because there is a variable latency on that video feed. The reason you don't have your crash footage on your device is because it never made it back to your device. If you are flying at a ground speed of 20M/s and there is 300ms to 500ms latency, you could potentially be 32 feet away from something and have the video never make it back to your device. As the poster above said, the crash footage is on the Mavic SD card. You hit something very hard likely knocking the battery loose.

Your situation sucks, but this was 100% pilot error. The fact that you removed your video also seems a bit shady when you are asking for a replacement or discount from DJI.
2017-7-9
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

Omg re that vid above, that guy looks to have pushed his luck too far out! He seemed quite slow on some parts so presume he had some fierce wind against it...
2017-7-9
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
France

Anyhow back to try help, the last map co-ordinates place it around here, hope it helpsUnsure which direction it's flowing so I guess it could be a tough one to find if it's some merky river etc, but wish you luck.
IMG_0598.PNG
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Something else to keep in mind is that because you have Care Refresh the Mavic sitting at the bottom of that river is still worth €800 (the full cost of a replacement minus what you'd pay for a Care Refresh replacement) to you, so it might be worthwhile to offer a reward to someone who's able to retrieve it. Even if you were to offer and pay a generous €200 for its return you'd still wind up better off financially. It went down fairly close to the shore and probably hasn't moved far from where it settled, so while recovery obviously isn't trivial (I know you said you already tried) it probably isn't impossible.
2017-7-9
Use props
Christopher90
New
United States

Lolo9 Posted at 2017-7-7 11:37

I havent seen the video, but this can be explained easily. The video you see is a compressed image, processed by the drone itself before it sends the signal to your RC, which then displays it on the screen.

This process takes time, so there is a slight delay on the video feed. If you crash at a fairly high speed and it instantly cuts power to the drone, there will still be a "buffer" of somewhere between (guessing here) 0,1 to 1 second of video that should be stored on the SD card in the drone, but that has not yet been processed and sent off.

Long story short, if you fly fast into an object and crash, and the drone shuts off immediately (which is likely), you won't get the last second of flight on your screen.
2017-7-9
Use props
Lolo9
lvl.1
France

Thank you all for your comments. Nice to feel supported by the Mavic Pro users community.
Since I have nothing to hide, I did not remove the video from WeTransfer. This one has automatically withdrawn from the site and I can send it back to you on request without any problem.
Thank you for explaining the video delay between what's going on with the aircraft and what's displayed on the smartphone's screen, I did not know this aspect of the Mavic Pro.
I would have preferred that DJI or the moderators tell me more about it.
No longer waiting for any reply from DJI, this post ends here. Enjoy this experience fast and you guys have fun with it !
2017-7-11
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tex21 Posted at 2017-7-7 06:13
Flying that fast when you can't see your drone is a recipe for disaster.  You were flying at 10m/s - near trees. Pas bon mon ami. BUT...

Even so, I interpret DJI Care Refresh to still cover your scenario. Can the DJI people tell us why it doesn't please?

nevermind.
2021-5-10
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tex21 Posted at 2017-7-7 06:13

nevermind.
2021-5-10
Use props
djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w
lvl.1
United States

Lolo9 Posted at 2017-7-7 04:19
I do not dispute that possibility but you are not answering my question precisely.
The loss of signal occurred before the "supposed" crash. So it is not the "supposed" crash that caused the loss of the signal.
Do you agree with that statement?

The replacement policy makes no sense.   Mine was flying over water and suddenly descended into the lake about 15 feet from shore.   If I send the drone in full of water and mud I get one for $49.  But if I can't retrieve it I get nothing!   It's not like they can refurbish a drone that's been underwater for weeks.  This DJI Care Refresh is a ripoff.   If the company had any compassion whatsoever and were truly sorry for the loss,  you'd treat these just like any other crash.  I get that they want to make sure people don't  abuse the policy and just say they lost it to get a second one for free, but I provided video and showing it went down.  If I can retrieve it I will send it in for the replacement but I'll never buy another DJI product and will tell everyone I know how  despicable DJI is.
2021-5-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w Posted at 5-14 19:26
The replacement policy makes no sense.   Mine was flying over water and suddenly descended into the lake about 15 feet from shore.   If I send the drone in full of water and mud I get one for $49.  But if I can't retrieve it I get nothing!   It's not like they can refurbish a drone that's been underwater for weeks.  This DJI Care Refresh is a ripoff.   If the company had any compassion whatsoever and were truly sorry for the loss,  you'd treat these just like any other crash.  I get that they want to make sure people don't  abuse the policy and just say they lost it to get a second one for free, but I provided video and showing it went down.  If I can retrieve it I will send it in for the replacement but I'll never buy another DJI product and will tell everyone I know how  despicable DJI is.

I am sorry for the loss of your drone, I replied to you at this post, for better follow up, please keep us updated on that post only, thank you.
2021-5-16
Use props
djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 5-16 01:02
I am sorry for the loss of your drone, I replied to you at this post, for better follow up, please keep us updated on that post only, thank you.
Thanks. I responded in the other thread.
2021-5-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w Posted at 5-17 15:15
Thanks. I responded in the other thread.

Received and replied. Thanks.
2021-5-18
Use props
GregT.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 445971 ft
Netherlands

I have doubts over your story - Sorry to say.

My experience with DJI care has been excellent.

I admitted directly to have been reckless in my flight when it crashed.
I could not say anything else than it was my own fault.

DJI responded directly with telling me not to worry as operator error is covered.
At the cost of a small fee my drone was replaced within three working days.
2021-5-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GregT. Posted at 5-18 10:28

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Glad to know that everything went smoothly. Hope you have a nice day.
2021-5-18
Use props
djiuser_YOHtDCTXRK4w
lvl.1
United States

GregT. Posted at 5-18 10:28

Dunno which sorry you are referring to but I can upload the chat logs and the email communications.  Bottom line is because I couldn't recover the drone they only wanted to offer me a 20% discount.  I understand that the plan says it doesn't cover an irrecoverable drone but my point is that it just isn't a fair policy. I understand the concern for abuse and false claims but I supplied a flight path screenshot and video of the drone hitting the water.

Fortunately the water level in the pond dropped a litte and I was as able to wade a bit farther in, got lucky and found it by dragging the bottom with a 22 foot pole and pool net attachment.

I
2021-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules