I think I bricked RC while upgrading P4 firmware.
3053 23 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Cannot relink to aircraft. Slow flashing red light on RC. Tried to downgrade RC, screen in DJI GO 4 sayys product unknown and current version unknown. DJI assistant 2 says aircraft firmware updated OK.

PLEASE someone tell me this can be fixed without sending RC back to DJI.
Thanks in advance.

2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I suggest you re-apply the RC update. Try pressing the 3 lines at top right of the GO app 'splash screen' - 10 or so secs - then select whatever the most recent firmware version is. If if is a downgrade, then just power cycle the RC following, and it should prompt you to update again.
2017-7-6
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 20:03
I suggest you re-apply the RC update. Try pressing the 3 lines at top right of the GO app 'splash screen' - 10 or so secs - then select whatever the most recent firmware version is. If if is a downgrade, then just power cycle the RC following, and it should prompt you to update again.

Thank you. That is where it says "unknown" product and unknown version. A dead end.
2017-7-6
Use props
Saaber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26680 ft

Singapore

You should always update the RC first before updating the phantom. Did you try downgrade the phantom firmware and relink back to your rc and redo the steps again.
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ocean224 Posted at 2017-7-6 20:09
Thank you. That is where it says "unknown" product and unknown version. A dead end.

You could try setting RC back to default, then seeing if it's properly detected.

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Saaber Posted at 2017-7-6 20:26
You should always update the RC first before updating the phantom. Did you try downgrade the phantom firmware and relink back to your rc and redo the steps again.

I don't believe that matters from my experience. I always update the craft first (with RC off). Then upgrade the RC if required (with craft off). The order shouldn't matter.
2017-7-6
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

According to "Release Note", you MUST update the RC first. And if you use Dji Go 4 for the update process then UPDATE Dji Go 4 first. This update requires Dji Go 4 version 4.1.x to work.
FYI, when the Aircraft update progress to 84%, it will stay there for quite long, just wait 5 to 10 minutes.
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-7-6 21:02
According to "Release Note", you MUST update the RC first. And if you use Dji Go 4 for the update process then UPDATE Dji Go 4 first. This update requires Dji Go 4 version 4.1.x to work.
FYI, when the Aircraft update progress to 84%, it will stay there for quite long, just wait 5 to 10 minutes.

No it doesn't - see Notes below. It only hints that if you're upgrading both via DJI GO, you upgrade the P4 'after restarting the updated controller'. I Never update any of my craft using other than Assistant 2.

Notes
• Make sure you restart both the aircraft and remote controller after updating them to the latest firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable. Re-link the aircraft with the remote controller if they are disconnected.
• If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update.
• Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
• Requires the DJI GO 4 app v4.1.0 or later, otherwise the flight will be restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m.
2017-7-6
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 20:47
I don't believe that matters from my experience. I always update the craft first (with RC off). Then upgrade the RC if required (with craft off). The order shouldn't matter.

Refuses to link. DJI says to send evrything back! That's at least a month of no flying! WAHHHHHHH!
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ocean224 Posted at 2017-7-6 21:33
Refuses to link. DJI says to send evrything back! That's at least a month of no flying! WAHHHHHHH!

Oh no! Sorry to hear. :-(

I'm out of suggestions, other than to draw a pentagram around it to exorcise the demons.
2017-7-6
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 21:54

I'm out of suggestions, other than to draw a pentagram around it to exorcise the demons.

Thanks for the help just the same. Really appreciate it.
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I made the mistake to upgrade the aircraft first with this new firmware, resulting in fast red/green flashes on the RC and the disconnected message in DJI Go. I started/restarted the RC, P4, app plenty of times, in different order. I tried the forced RC firmware upgrade method (clicking and holding the top right 3 lines icon in the app), but I was disconnected and it did not list any firmwares. Once though, it did blink an available firmware but it was gone in a second. However, after many tries, the DJI Go app did say a firmware update was available, and it upgraded. After that it was ok.

I wish I remember if the aircraft was powered on or powered off when I got the RC update message. Connect the cable directly from the tablet (connected to WiFi) to the RC, and try different scenarios like having the P4 powered on/off, the app in the "Choose aircraft" menu/entering the app. I think it is quite difficult to brick the RC, but I guess it is not impossible. Don't give up just yet! Hope you get it to work!
2017-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I upgraded my aircraft first using Assistant 2, then my RC, powered all off/on and it works. The RC only needs a good wifi connection on display device to update, and a faster connection would speed things up a bit. Could it be the DJI server (of no login fame etc) was/is busy ?
2017-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 21:54

"other than to draw a pentagram around it to exorcise the demons."

Things have now moved on , you now need an 8 core Hexagram
2017-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ocean224 Posted at 2017-7-6 22:12

There was one other method of updating firmware in controller using a file on a USB stick. If you've feel you've nothing to lose it might be something worth tying before it is sent back ?

I know it has worked for several in the past.
2017-7-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-7 00:06
I upgraded my aircraft first using Assistant 2, then my RC, powered all off/on and it works. The RC only needs a good wifi connection to update, and a faster connection would speed things up a bit. Could it be the DJI server (of no login fame etc) was/is busy ?

Hey, I agree with everything you said. The approach, and the likely reason for delayed installation. I hate to think how many people are hitting their servers now for the P4 update.

And I wish I was one of them. My beta P4 is still stuck - along with the other beta testers.
2017-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ocean224 Posted at 2017-7-6 22:12

I've found the link, many thanks to Donnie for posting this, and all credits to him.

Please note that in this thread it's in relation to the Inspire 1 RC, but have a good read through the whole thread, I believe the V1.6 firmware that is referred to is the same as used on the P4. If you get to that point then auto update to latest should become an option again.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-47577-1-1.html
2017-7-7
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-7 00:31
I've found the link, many thanks to Donnie for posting this, and all credits to him.

Please note that in this thread it's in relation to the Inspire 1 RC, but have a good read through the whole thread, I believe the V1.6 firmware that is referred to is the same as used on the P4. If you get to that point then auto update to latest should become an option again.

Gonna try these things when I get home from work.
2017-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ocean224 Posted at 2017-7-7 04:10
Gonna try these things when I get home from work.

It's certainly a good read, I'm sure there may be some pointers within that thread or a link to a more P4 specific instruction. Although I think at that time the V1.6 was same for both, it has certainly worked for a few, and one that I know of directly.

I think the basis is that on a reset command to controller it boots up and runs V1.6 file on USB stick. All updates after that (for RC) can only be done OTA as far as I'm aware.
2017-7-7
Use props
Numptee Nuts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144 ft
United Kingdom

I had this issue. in the end I went into the dji app and entered the device. Within there I selected the device options and it told me there to update the firmware. Upgraded the firmware without any issues and now the RC WORKS without issues.
2017-7-7
Use props
JCJMC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2122467 ft
Spain

Turn on the transmitter only, connect the tablet or phone to it, start dji go4, enter the 'vision' screen (where the video and other drone data appear), press up to the left where you will see Aircraft Disconnected on red background And the status screen will appear. I think it's the first line that will put you that requires your intervention, you select it and it will take you to a section where it tells you that it is necessary to update the firm. There you will download the 1.9.2

En español:
Enciende solo la emisora, conecta la tablet o teléfono a ella, inicia dji go4, entra en la pantalla de 'visión' (donde aparece el video y demás datos del drone), aprieta arriba a la izquierda donde te Aparecerá Aircraft Disconnected en fondo rojo y te aparecerá la pantalla de Status. Creo que es la primera línea que te pondrá que requiere tu intervención, la seleccionas y te llevara a un apartado donde te dice que es necesario actualizar el firm. Ahi te descargará la 1.9.2
2017-7-8
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Okay, gonna unpack the box and try the last two suggestions. Nothing else has worked.
2017-7-8
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Oh well, it's off to UPS......
2017-7-8
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.3
Denmark

after update my drone
Dji go4 said my controller needed update
Then started on the update. The screen turned black on my tablet and the controller lights white in the control lamp ..

Can anybody help me from here ... for nothing happens and now it can nothing ...

update: did a downgrade og then upgrade.. and now it works :-)

2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules