Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does Spark need to be registered in USA?
22772 16 2017-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

I'm totally confused... some websites say you don't need to register... but looks like this one says you do need to register.Thoughts???
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
2017-7-7
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You are supposed to register with the FAA, however, a recent court decision seems to over rule this when using a drone as a hobbyist.   I believe you still have to register each drone separately when using the drones for commercial use.  I have 2 drones I use commercially and I have each one registered.
2017-7-7
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.3
United States

Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA
https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19 ... istration-rules-faa
2017-7-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-7-7 10:47
Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA
https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19/15663436/us-drone-registration-rules-faa

And they (FAA) will offer a refund for the $5 some have already paid.
2017-7-7
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

Thanks.  So why does the FAA officially say you need to register anything over 5.5 pounds... if you don't need to register... wouldn't you think the FAA website would be up to date?

Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
Label your UAS with your registration number
Read and understand all safety guidelines
2017-7-7
Use props
Dragonfly47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9465 ft
United States

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-7 13:52
Thanks.  So why does the FAA officially say you need to register anything over 5.5 pounds... if you don't need to register... wouldn't you think the FAA website would be up to date?

Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds

"if you don't need to register... wouldn't you think the FAA website would be up to date?"

Come on. We're talking about the government. If it was up to them, we'd still be required to have a pedestrian walking in front of our car waving a red flag.
2017-7-7
Use props
RCKable
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

At this current moment, You do not have to register as long as you are a hobbyist, but you do if you plan to use them for commercial use. (As mentioned above.)
This ruling to remove registration, I am sure will be appealed by the FAA and others such as DJI, Parrot, GoPro, and some other drone manufacturers who support the registration.
2017-7-7
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

RCKable Posted at 2017-7-7 19:04
At this current moment, You do not have to register as long as you are a hobbyist, but you do if you plan to use them for commercial use. (As mentioned above.)
This ruling to remove registration, I am sure will be appealed by the FAA and others such as DJI, Parrot, GoPro, and some other drone manufacturers who support the registration.

The FAA did appeal, a Federal Appeals Court ruled against them.
2017-7-7
Use props
RCKable
lvl.3
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-7 19:17
The FAA did appeal, a Federal Appeals Court ruled against them.

The FAA can appeal the May 2017 ruling.  It can be appealed 1 more time before asking the Supreme Court to hear the appeal (which I highly doubt the Supreme Court would)
2017-7-7
Use props
RCKable
lvl.3
United States

It was only a Circuit Court of Appeals that over turned the FAA.  But the laws about no flying the drone out of the operators site, at night, and over people are still in place, near an airstrip or airport are still in place.
2017-7-7
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States

RCKable Posted at 2017-7-7 19:29
It was only a Circuit Court of Appeals that over turned the FAA.  But the laws about no flying the drone out of the operators site, at night, and over people are still in place, near an airstrip or airport are still in place.

Night flights and even flying near airports IS permitted.

http://dronelawjournal.com/model-aircraft-operations/
2017-7-7
Use props
RCKable
lvl.3
United States

fansdbce68d7 Posted at 2017-7-7 22:54
Night flights and even flying near airports IS permitted.

http://dronelawjournal.com/model-aircraft-operations/

Yeah, nothing has changed from the original other then the removal of the registration.  And they were ordered to issue a refund to those who file for it.
Okay I will give you the night flying thing cause yeah with stock lighting you can fly what 200'-300' straight up or in a wide open field. Remember you must have clear line of site, altitude of drone during the night.
On a side note that website doesn't show complete sections of the 2012 laws. Notification to tower operator when flying within 5 miles, Altitude kept under 400' within 3 miles, no flying within 1 mile.  That website gives me the impression If I tell the tower I will then be able to fly any place within 3 miles as long as I stay below 400'. I guess heck now I can fly right down the runway.
2017-7-8
Use props
RCKable
lvl.3
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-7 12:41
And they (FAA) will offer a refund for the $5 some have already paid.

Only if you ask for it, and just so people can. Here is the site to print out the PDF to remove your registration and get that $5 back
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... uctions_FINALv2.pdf
2017-7-8
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

Question about legality of drones, if anyone knows.
Yesterday I was at kids swim meet filming their race. I was NOT over the pool.  I was over a building next to a pool. The Swim president almost had a heartattack and chewed me out and told me it's not allowed.  I looked up USA swim rules - see attached.  So if I am OVER a street next to the pool, and filming... am I good?  (i.e. not over the venue?).
2017-7-9
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.1
United States

Photo didn't upload.  Page 61, Letter J.  https://www.usaswimming.org/docs ... s/2017-rulebook.pdf
2017-7-9
Use props
Dragonfly47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9465 ft
United States

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-9 16:00
Question about legality of drones, if anyone knows.
Yesterday I was at kids swim meet filming their race. I was NOT over the pool.  I was over a building next to a pool. The Swim president almost had a heartattack and chewed me out and told me it's not allowed.  I looked up USA swim rules - see attached.  So if I am OVER a street next to the pool, and filming... am I good?  (i.e. not over the venue?).[view_image]

103.13 /M/ DRONES — Operation of a drone, or any other flying apparatus, is prohibited over
the venue (pools, athlete/coach areas, spectator areas and open-ceiling locker rooms) any time
athletes, coaches, officials and/or spectators are present.
Exceptions may be granted with prior written approval by the Program Operations Vice Chair.

Rule seems pretty straightforward. Tell the meet director that you'll be operating a reasonable distance from the event and remind him of the rule.
2017-7-9
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States

They can only stop you if you are operating from their property. If you are on public property or someone else's property with permission, you can fly your drone anywhere  the airspace is unrestricted. Generally, anywhere  b4ufly or airmap say you can. Compliance with AMA rules is recommended.
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules